SHEDDING LIGHT ON A NOVAQUARK INTERNAL DISCUSSION - discussion thread

NQ-Wanderer

38 minutes ago, Megabosslord said:

I don't know how you Wipers develop this delusion that a wipe is going to miraculously bring in a bunch of new players who wouldn't play otherwise

I absolutely agree! But keep in mind, that some actually might start playing due to a wipe on launch, but I expect it not to be the massive player influx that some people expect.

What I find more worrisome are the exoduses that are going to happen one way or another. Previously I would have identified two major groups. Those that leave because there is no major (enough) wipe on launch and those that leave because the wipe is to big for their tastes. With us stuck in limbo for three weeks, I suspect we'll have a third and fourth group leaving:

#3 People that are not playing (much) since the announcement and, have lost or are losing interest in DU altogether and moving to other games. No longer looking at DU at all, no relaunch is going to change that...

#4 People that are currently in a holding pattern in DU, not doing any grinding due to the high potential of a massive wipe happening that will just leave if after weeks/months nothing changes (no wipe) at launch. Not because they initially wanted a wipe but because of all the trouble it brought and then nothing happens, while they have been sitting on their hands for potentially weeks/months. I suspect that these will be primarily paying customers that are paying for the subscription (non-beta key customers).

At this point I think the not making a decision is doing more damage to the (potential) player base then an actual wipe or no-wipe...

50 minutes ago, Cergorach said:

I absolutely agree! But keep in mind, that some actually might start playing due to a wipe on launch, but I expect it not to be the massive player influx that some people expect.

Youtube coverage of DU has not exactly been kind, so the damage is already done.

So a wipe now would just burn bridges in a last ditch effort to get some new players to hopefully join the game because ... wipe ..? While at the same time guaranteeing that some of the old players will leave and/or generate more bad publicity about the game.

About 40k tiles claimed on sanctuary, allegedly 4k active accounts. How many alts among it nobody knows, let's just ignore the question:

The aforementionned last ditch effort? Let's be foolish and say 36k subscriptions, and let's be generous and say for 3 months (hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! laughing.my.ass.off)

36 000 x 26,97 = 970 920€

Just short of a million bucks that Nouredine Abboud is hoping to point at when presenting himself at a new job; optimistic I say. No reason to assume DU is his love child. The fully wiped launch is a product and wipists are asking to be sold it again, after allready paying once.

Stop playing yourself.

We should only wipe things that been abused in the past and then corrected through updates such resources, money and all related such constructs, schemas, etc (built & purchased with resources & money).

Everything else should remains as is (skills & blueprints).

33 minutes ago, Cergorach said:

Blueprints can be bought with those abused resources...

From my understanding, blueprints are just the plans to build up a construction without any resources in it.
You seems talking about tokens where that include the complet construction including the materials.
That being said, I may be wrong

35 minutes ago, Cergorach said:

Blueprints can be bought with those abused resources...

And that is a hole NQ dug all by themself when they ignored the exploits for a long time, and did not address the damage caused while still relatively easy to fix.

Using a wipe to fix exploits just means taking the easy way out and punishing all players for mistakes caused by NQ.  And it is not like the game is going to be exploit free after release, and NQ has never been one to learn from past mistakes so then what?

"...as there is no easy answer and we have to take into account all of the pros and cons..."

says it all really, the easy answer is yes, they want to wipe. The hard bit, is telling all of yous.

i dont think the advantage of the few remaining players (and lets face it there are few of us still playing and creating despite the whole wiped out crying going on), getting to keep there sanctuary base and the skill points would be game breaking, Rather, it would be a thank you from NQ for all our work helping them make money for as long as the severs run. SO what, if a few dozen players start the  new game with 77 million skill points. It wont break the game to have a few highly skilled people kicking about the universe. 

just my 2 isk worth, have fun fall from orbit...

4 hours ago, Morgathys said:

From my understanding, blueprints are just the plans to build up a construction without any resources in it.
You seems talking about tokens where that include the complet construction including the materials.
That being said, I may be wrong

People design ships, people sell those designs, generally one offs, but you could easily sell the original or back in the beginning of Beta when there was no DRM on craft and you could just make new BPs yourself from them...

Time is quanta in DU, so whether you spend it mining, missioning or designing ships and bases, makes no difference. All can be traded for the other. So misuse one, you can use those gains to acquire the other...

The only thing that should not have been misused in DU Beta are the Talent Points...

So in six days, it's going to be one month from the moment you made some of us stop playing, some of us leave. Whenever I check this page for any update, I imagine your "internal discussion" taking all the mental resources you possess in NQ; working nine hours a day for three weeks trying to "make a decision." But, of course, it is a joke; because you aren't surgeons whose decision could save someone's life, you aren't managing a company with millions of subscribers and thousands of employees, and you aren't engineering a rocket or nuclear submarine. This sort of decision shouldn't take so long, so what comes up to my mind is the word "disrespect." Disrespect is what you have for us.

42 minutes ago, Vulpeculae said:

This sort of decision shouldn't take so long,

The thing is that I believe NQ is playing  with words but fail to do so effectively.

At the start of beta, the few references they made to describe the wipe that "will not happen again unless it is an absolute requirement" was a full/global wipe. JC made a few mentions to that early on, but the informative/reference part fell of the wagon and NQ never stopped people spinning it into "NQ said a wipe (any wipe) will not ever happen again". That was not the first time they failed to both pick up on a problem and correct it by communicating clearly what was said and what it means, which allowed the speculation and misinformation to take hold.

Now, after two years, NQ actually ignored the initial message and dragged the very intent that never was into the argument in an official capacity through their blogpost, which obviously the just poured water directly onto the oil fire.

Most of us who are and have been expecting a wipe, never expected a full global wipe as that is not an option NQ has anymore really, not since they started charging people money to play and effectively soft launched into "beta".

Let's exclude the full wipe for a moment for that reason and see what's left; a partial wipe or no wipe. And the decision between those can't take months, that is just nonsense. So, following that it is fair to assume that the decision to wipe or not was made some time ago which actually does make sense.

Now, staying with that reasonable assumption the call has been made, which one is it? And here, again, there is one choice that makes sense as far as it not being announced and one which does not.

Not announcing a "no wipe" as soon as possible makes no sense here. That decision would not change anything, it would not create that much fuss even when a good few will not like it and voice that.

So, if you look at this objectively, there really is one possible choice, which is the partial wipe.

Now that we have our decision, the question is no longer IF, but just WHEN. NQ knows when they will "release" the game. Maybe not the exact date yet, but the month for sure. The discussion they may be having internally is probably about the moment for the wipe and what to do leading up to it and what the next steps between a wipe and "release" will be. And that is a discussion i can see taking some time as it would depend on a good few factors, some of which are probably still not entirely certain.

So yes, NQ will probably still be having internal discussions AROUND the wipe, but not ABOUT the wipe. They will do a partial wipe, I am certain.

5 hours ago, merihimRefin said:

but then they're lying, aren't they?

Not really... It happens often within companies that people/departments are still 'discussing' issues, while the people making the decisions have already made up their minds. The marketing/communication department can't (yet) read minds, so what they are communicating is the 'truth' as they know it... I've seen a LOT of internal 'discussions' just being done for the form of it, to give employees a feeling of inclusion on the decision. But the reality is, that 95% of the employees are not able or capable of making business decisions, they can provide information to the people making the decisions, but that's it.

I suspect that NQ is in a tight spot financially, so business decisions will be driven by that I expect... We have no insight in to hard numbers, so no clue if keeping the 'old guard' (that is still here) is even part of the financial equation.

Imagine alienating the 'old guard', that means they do not use their 'free' DAC... $$$ ;) 

17 hours ago, Cergorach said:

Not really... It happens often within companies that people/departments are still 'discussing' issues, while the people making the decisions have already made up their minds.

I am so glad they are not lying! Thanks for the info. Really relieved right now. 
I thought they were discussing whether there would be a wipe, and if so, what kind. 
But Blazemonger is sure that there will be one anyway. But as long as they're not lying, then everything's fine :D

42 minutes ago, Cergorach said:

You were the one that they might be were 'lying', that is not an insignificant word to use...

Well, the argument was that they already knew there was going to be a wipe. It's only the conditions that are being discussed. (Statement by Blazemonger)

But officially it is only known that they are weighing up the pros and cons of whether there will be a wipe. No Wipe is officially still an Option...isnt it? 

So I'm not the one accusing anyone of lying. I'm just trying to classify it.

Edited by merihimRefin

2 hours ago, Sycopata said:

The light sems come from a black hole.

Do you use google translate, your text are amazing. i am almost sure your texts can give pedantic grammar Nazis aneurysms  :)

"There is light at the end of the tunnel"

17 minutes ago, Cybob19 said:

Pretty sure he meant no light because exit velocity of black hole too high.

Grats, Despite being probably the brightest objects in the universe, they do not let their light be seen, it was subtle, but now the fashion is to ridicule anyone who does not speak perfect English, even if you are ignorant in the rest of the fields.

Edited by Sycopata