SHEDDING LIGHT ON A NOVAQUARK INTERNAL DISCUSSION - discussion thread

NQ-Wanderer

The fewer players that are currently left over, the quieter it becomes during the wipe. So there is hardly anything standing in the way of a restart. The only question is whether it will really attract so many new players and whether the players who were scared away would come back.
It is simply annoying when this info is not finally published.

37 minutes ago, BlindingBright said:

DU is arguably at it's lowest population point since they started charging a sub.... and the servers are still on fire. This does not bode well for release.

Paired with talk of a wipe still being on the table, and NQ has nailed their game to the cross. I don't like the next part of this movie.

They could spend the next 6 months exclusively focused on performance and bug hunting and still not be ready for release.

Dragging their feet on deploying the wipe we all suspect will happen is very unwise.

Conspiracy: they've spun down server resources too much as pops dropped and/or have spun up a clone of their prod resources to test the wipe implementation -- and therefore reduced the live instances so they don't go over budget with infrastructure.

22 hours ago, Zarcata said:

ArcheAge is not comparable with DualUniverse. Here you don't have any equipment that can be broken, downgraded or destroyed for your character in order to be able to play in the endgame. likewise, here you don't immediately forfeit all your possessions because you don't pay your taxes, so you don't lose the land or even important things that are on the land. here you can even permanently protect 5 areas. likewise, there is a permanent area on the starter moon.
In general, the grind in DualUniverse is not as extreme as in archeage. Here it is enough to set up their mining units and calibrate them once a week. A week in Archeage has fatal consequences for their equipment, because many points were simply not collected through dailies. I myself played ArcheAge very successfully for many years, streamed and created guides and websites and switched to DualUniverse because here you can play in a much more relaxed way and don't lose everything because you weren't lucky when upgrading. Of course Archeage had the much better housing system, the furniture alone is worlds better, as is the PvP system, especially the ship battles - the PvP in DualUniverse is really boring and outdated. But hey, in the end it depends on what exactly you want to do in DualUniverse to find fun for yourself.

Strange my view of the PvP of the two games are opposite I find the Archage one booring and could never live up to it. The other thing is that to get a decent Gear Score to be able to PvP in Archeage is a huge hinderance to get started. In DU I have just to unlock Talents to T4 and get a ship.

22 minutes ago, blundertwink said:

Conspiracy: they've spun down server resources too much as pops dropped and/or have spun up a clone of their prod resources to test the wipe implementation -- and therefore reduced the live instances so they don't go over budget with infrastructure.

I started to notice poor server performance directly after they had a 4+ hour maintenance where they took all of their internet facing assets down (website, support, game, etc). The following week the servers had to be restarted at peek times in the US.

I don't think that is a conspiracy, they don't want to admit to downgrading their service shortly after raising the price.

Edited by BlindingBright

48 minutes ago, Walter said:

In DU I have just to unlock Talents to T4 and get a ship.

Depends on how you look at it. In both games you have 0 chance as a beginner against a regular player who has been playing for weeks/months or years. (Purely in the PvP area) The only exceptions are the arenas in Archeage, where the equipment scales, so players can test themselves no matter how long they have been playing. 

In Archeage you need the equipment and the ship with correspondingly high-quality equipment and of course a group of fellow players who can play together.

In DualUniverse, I "only" need the ship, which has to be equipped to a high standard, and possibly another account or a group. In DualUniverse, there is no character equipment and this content is completely omitted, including the associated game content such as quests, world bosses, wars, professions for enchanting, sockets, upgrading and much more. (is this really negative or positive?)

To get T5 equipment in DualUniverse for the ship you have to rely on others, T4-T5 engines, weapons are endgame and take a while before you get them. The same with "time" can also be seen in Archeage, only that you not only had to equip the ship, but also the character equipment, so like in almost every normal mmorpg. 

In general, I liked the PvP in Archeage better, because it was much better integrated into the game, into the professions and into the quests, wars etc. Likewise, in Archeage, group play, healer tanks, magic classes, ranged combat, supporters - all of this is completely missing in DualUniverse.

I don't know how far you played with your character back then in Archeage and how much time you generally put into the game - but DualUniverse could still take over so many elements from Archeage to really make a game out of it, especially in PvP and its possibilities to fill game content with it, Archeage is much more than currently DU.

Edited by Zarcata

14 minutes ago, Zarcata said:

In DualUniverse, I "only" need the ship, which has to be equipped to a high standard, and possibly another account or a group.

I played Archeage from a year after release until Trion became part of Aria. I was more the casual type of player who had a Truck to run 7 Packages and a ship that could carry if remember right 12. I went also with Guild to hunt the Kraken and because my GS was not that good I was at the bottom of the ship repairing. felt a bit like a second class citizen in that game since you can see the equipment and GS of others and mine was always crap. Even with bad GS I went out to pvp here and there and what I did not like was that what combo or class works is not intuitive at all. To apply a combo you need good ping and mine was bad back then. 

Yes, there is a grind to be able to PvP in DU but PvP ships have been never this cheap since M cores are Meta you could also inflict heavy dmg just with rare weapons and these are cheap too. Archeage is a Korean grind MMO Fantasy themed. the only thing we could compare is the system to carry packs. And that was nerfed too in Archeage.

21 minutes ago, Walter said:

I was more the casual type of player who had a Truck to run 7 Packages and a ship

Thank you. 
A casual player can therefore never really play in the endgame in archeage, it is very time-intensive, even due to the work point limit. however, I assure you that you then never experienced and enjoyed the best of the game.

1 minute ago, Pleione said:

Getting a bit off topic here folks.

True, of course. Is there anything on the subject that has not yet been considered or discussed umpteen times? Maybe there was a reaction from NQ after such a long time that I had overlooked? The last reaction was almost 2 weeks ago....

4 minutes ago, Zarcata said:

True, of course. Is there anything on the subject that has not yet been considered or discussed umpteen times? Maybe there was a reaction from NQ after such a long time that I had overlooked? The last reaction was almost 2 weeks ago....

Your not wrong.  What's disappointing is this thread was started with "...policy of being as transparent as possible and to keep everyone informed..."  ROFL.  Its something NQ says freely, like they are trying to convince us, but once again demonstrates the opposite.

They have had years of complaint about this and we only see communication decrease, if anything - just look at what the Discord community was vs. what it is now.

When a game is in Beta things like wipes should be something the dev does when they feel it's necessary.  If you have a stable of testers throwing tantrums over attempts to make the game better you have the wrong people testing the game.

Goal should be a great release.

19 minutes ago, Kultarez said:

When a game is in Beta things like wipes should be something the dev does when they feel it's necessary.  If you have a stable of testers throwing tantrums over attempts to make the game better you have the wrong people testing the game.

Goal should be a great release.

For a normal beta I would agree.

Problem is when NQ said to players that beta was a soft-release and promised content would not be deleted, so that they could justify charging player subscriptions before the game is released.

On 4/14/2022 at 9:22 AM, NQ-Wanderer said:

Hello, Noveans.

What are you thoughts regarding our SHEDDING LIGHT ON A NOVAQUARK INTERNAL DISCUSSION communication? Let us know below!

I mean a Full wipe would be great an all but theirs plenty of issues with that. First if you do a wipe you should do it after you have added some other things. 

More solar systems

NPC's sellers couriers etc. 

Better Flight Controls 

Events for exploration 

These are just some big key things that needed to be added to drive people to stay. It will also make it so people will not come back every time there's an update but stay. If theirs is nothing to keep players interested or attracted to the game then the wipe will mean nothing and player base will continue to fluctuate wildly or drop off entirely. 

NQ when will we have an answer? It’s been over six weeks since the original post where you said you’d discuss the wipe - and AvA and DACs.

It has also been almost 3 weeks since you shared your internal discussions. 

3 hours ago, Nosomu said:

NQ when will we have an answer? It’s been over six weeks since the original post where you said you’d discuss the wipe - and AvA and DACs.

It has also been almost 3 weeks since you shared your internal discussions. 

Patience young padawan. NQ clearly aren't in a position to say any more right now, so people getting frustrated and nagging on the forums won't make anything happen any faster.

For the AvA/DAC/wipe discussion - I think we've had the wipe "devblog" discussion already: NQ brought it forward early - this thread (and probably in more detail than they originally intended).

2 hours ago, Yamamoto said:

Full Wipe but keep the BPs

Nah, if wipe, then everything. 

Change LUA APIs (heck, why not remove LUA and replace it with Javascript), and randomly change the recipes of the items and the flight model again, so people cant even transfer knowledge to the afterwipe.  
Fairness for new Players. 

And we need more Limits. Its not good that everybody can create unlimited BPs. We need a skill for this. 5 Tiers. All 5 Tiers at Level 5 and you can maintain 25 BPs. When you create a new bp over your limit, a random core bp will be deleted. And the next slot with an item next to it. 

And the same for LUA..or JS. Implement Script Slots! 
And disable clipboard. No lazy copycat! 

Wipe whatever you wants except the skills.
Whatever you do, how artistic, grinder or businessman you are, this is not affecting the skills.
Skills = time, and time is purchaseable through a subscription. Wiping the skills is taking back what people is truly paying for.

I stopped my subs for now, waiting for NQ decision about the wipe. Obviously, like many of us, I will never comeback if Im missing 1 skillpoints on my characters that I paid for. I dont play DU, I just skilled my characters for the release. Getting those wiped out will make me feel scammed and Im not a very good looser.

4 hours ago, merihimRefin said:

And we need more Limits. Its not good that everybody can create unlimited BPs. We need a skill for this. 5 Tiers. All 5 Tiers at Level 5 and you can maintain 25 BPs. When you create a new bp over your limit, a random core bp will be deleted. And the next slot with an item next to it.

That's a horrible idea, it reads like "How to drive players away!"...

On 4/16/2022 at 7:40 AM, Megabosslord said:

I have 5 builds that took more than 200hrs each to build. You have no idea what you're talking about. 

I said it'd be ideal to keep the blueprints if they can and odds are they will so what's the big deal? lol
The real work is in designing the builds as you say, so if you can keep your blueprints than what's it matter?

I rather lose the few whiney vets who still play now if it means adding thousands of more new players.
Better yet you vets can suck it up and be happy you actually would have players to admire/buy your builds.

You're just going to be another nail in the coffin of this game if you're too stubborn to realize how many players will be turned away when this game "launches" without a wipe and players already have thousands of hours of advantage over newcomers. NQ might as well be shooting themselves in the foot if they launch without some form of wipe.

1 hour ago, blundertwink said:

I'm pretty sure that poster was being sarcastic... :D 

That's pretty hard to judge in here. Sometimes I wish NQ was being sarcastic also with some of the things they say and do...

1 hour ago, CptLoRes said:

That's pretty hard to judge in here. Sometimes I wish NQ was being sarcastic also with some of the things they say and do...

I can't resist, sorry:  Perhaps they were with "...policy of being as transparent as possible and to keep everyone informed..." .

37 minutes ago, FuriousPuppy said:

just wipe the server, sell the company to microsoft and maybe they can give me pets one day and actually follow through on it. 

GG NQ, write a book on how not to run a failed 6 year long kickstarter

They just need to spin off pets, AvA(and pets vs pets) along with Territory Warfare into a gacha game and start making billions of dollars. 

13 hours ago, Moonagi said:

I said it'd be ideal to keep the blueprints if they can and odds are they will so what's the big deal? lol
The real work is in designing the builds as you say, so if you can keep your blueprints than what's it matter?

I rather lose the few whiney vets who still play now if it means adding thousands of more new players.
Better yet you vets can suck it up and be happy you actually would have players to admire/buy your builds.

You're just going to be another nail in the coffin of this game if you're too stubborn to realize how many players will be turned away when this game "launches" without a wipe and players already have thousands of hours of advantage over newcomers. NQ might as well be shooting themselves in the foot if they launch without some form of wipe.

I don't know how you Wipers develop this delusion that a wipe is going to miraculously bring in a bunch of new players who wouldn't play otherwise - aside from your own wishful thinking and a peer-group of likeminded friends probably reinforcing your bubble. There's just no evidence ever in any game that a wipe does anything more than swap out some old players for new less-committed players resulting in long-term decline. And those who are unhappy with their lot in the game - access to territory or resources - are just replaced with a different group of people who missed out on the latest land rush. Add to that it's also a reversal on a commitment made at beta launch ('magic BPs') and the result will be even worse.