SHEDDING LIGHT ON A NOVAQUARK INTERNAL DISCUSSION - discussion thread

NQ-Wanderer

My points to defense the wipe: 

-It is a publicity claim, although many players believe that new players appreciate landing on a server full of life, the reality is that most prefer virgin worlds. 

-Sanitation of the database, all the servers as time goes by tend to work worse and worse, and even more so if they have suffered major infrastructure changes, due to big patches. 

-Restart interest in the game for old players, who, when they return to the game, after a pause, do not finish rejoining comfortably, hindering their previous progress 

-Relaunching the project, if the wipe is accompanied by a map change, graphic improvement, and a patch with a lot of content, can be an excuse to re-present the project as something new. 

-Eliminate the feeling of a dead world, despite the fact that there are many things in the game built, the vast majority are abandoned, flying over shells of large projects that do not advance, in reality it only shows that the game is in decline. 

-Eliminate from the game a lot of illegitimately gained wealth, despite the fact that we are convinced that it is easy for the smart to become rich again after the wipe, there are many rich who are not so because of their intellectual abilities, but because of their lack of scruples exploiting to the maximum game glitches. 

-Restart of many communities, there are many communities that a wipe can reactivate, since most projects decline when the players of a community disappear little by little, leaving many orphaned players who end up also stopping playing due to lack of partners, or joining other communities where they will never feel 100% part of the project, a wipe allows communities to restart and start again side by side to build projects in which you can feel involved. 

-Illusion to have everything to discover and to be back in a technological career, to start from scratch, it is always an emotional push, where you feel motivated to unlock both individual and collective achievements, a wipe offers a restart to those feelings. 

-Exponential increase in income for the company, although they are temporary, they can buy time so that the company can find a way to retain players, adding more and more content, instead of continuing in the dynamic of cutting content to adjust costs.

1 hour ago, DontPanic said:

I joined because they promised a persistent world. 

How do people continue to equal a persistent game world to no wipe.. One is a gameplay mechanic, the other a busineess choice.

The term Apples and Oranges comes to mind/

Just now, blazemonger said:

How do people continue to equal a persistent game world to no wipe.. One is a gameplay mechanic, the other a busineess choice.

The term Apples and Oranges comes to mind/

When enough people have come to make this link (and very many people have), then it becomes a real and actual thing for the business to deal with, regardless of whether they (or anyone else) understand where it comes from.

35 minutes ago, Sycopata said:

My points to defense the wipe: 

-It is a publicity claim

Certainly something I can see play a part and I expect we wil lstart seeing the signs of this soon enough as release approaches fast

-Sanitation of the database

And this is a big one.. The current database will prbably be messy at best and eespecially if NQ optimizes and redesigns the database structure, this may well hav ebenefits fo rthe game on the sort and longer term

-Restart interest in the game for old players

This wil certainly be a thing, the number of players who left is far, far greeater than the number remaining. And also, I believe there is a good few who out of priciple will wait until "release". So the gain here will likely far outweigh the loss

-Relaunching the project

This coul dbe a big one too form a PR  perspective, especially when it combines wit hte next one..

-Eliminate the feeling of a dead world

-Eliminate from the game a lot of illegitimately gained wealth

-Restart of many communities,

-Illusion to have everything to discover and to be back in a technological career

-Exponential increase in income for the company

Yes, all these I believe to be very much valid reasons.

The beta has way too much "baggage" and many will have learnt much and have found they may have made incorrect choices in aa few ways. The wipe, when what I expect will be talent points returning to the pool and blueprints for your created constructs (not all owned, just what you created) both makes sense and really is unavoidable at this point

There is far more benefits than issues with such a wipe. The few that will actually leave the game are not really relevant from a business perspective.

14 hours ago, Waffle Boy said:

How can the discussion still be ongoing after several months?

This particular thread is only 10 days old, but the calls for Wipes have been happening all along, especially after each major exploit (or just bad decision) was made.

1 hour ago, Pleione said:

This particular thread is only 10 days old, but the calls for Wipes have been happening all along, especially after each major exploit (or just bad decision) was made.

This discussion itself is a lot older than the 10 day old thread. As its been said before though, the writing was on the wall a bit when they didn't ban/remove exploiters and their gains. 

Is Du  in a playable state now? 

Or is it that the wipe only serves cost cutting measures and nothing more?

Either which way it is , dont count on bollox til the space sky is puke  blue , the ground is littered with colored roks and machines only work with shematics ,and digging isnt back , those are my most very basic non negotiables. ;)

1 hour ago, Bollox said:

Is Du  in a playable state now? 

Or is it that the wipe only serves cost cutting measures and nothing more?

Either which way it is , dont count on bollox til the space sky is puke  blue , the ground is littered with colored roks and machines only work with shematics ,and digging isnt back , those are my most very basic non negotiables. ;)

Not really sure it can handle multiple times the current number of people without schematics and with autominers. Server lag is pretty bad not even with almost no one here.

I have a feeling that NQ thought that since the mining bot patch and landscape reset did not cause to much noise in the community, there where going to get away with a wipe also. And wrote the "internal discussion" blog to try and sugarcoat a wipe and seal the deal.

And I think they where taken back by how much push back this generated. And so my bet is that they are now going to stay quiet about the issue (to try and keep subs) and at best post some noncommittal updates until the last minute.

The lack of a clear choice on wipe/no-wipe is hurting more than any actual confirmed choice. But they still need the beta to go on because they need to test and release more stuff.

If they declare wipe then people stop really investing time in their projects and content creating until wipe/launch happens. Makes it hard to test newer features. Also all the negatives of that wipe.

If they declare no wipe you still got a mess of forgotten projects and people unhappy and unwilling to rejoin back in.

Other people have made their points before... but NQ needs to make a choice so the player base can make their choice.

13 minutes ago, EternalDreamer said:

but NQ needs to make a choice so the player base can make their choice.

IMO, the decision to wipe has been made and made some time ago. WHat NQ is contemplating is when and how.

As I've said before, not announcing they will not wipe would make absolutely no sense at all, even for NQ. So it woudl be entirely reasonable to expect a wipe will happen within the next few months.

Regardless of whether a wipe or a partial wipe is coming, does NQ intend to keep the special protected area on Sanctuary unaffected or will there be a deletion of earned values there as well?

1 minute ago, Zarcata said:

Regardless of whether a wipe or a partial wipe is coming, does NQ intend to keep the special protected area on Sanctuary unaffected or will there be a deletion of earned values there as well?

If everything is safe on sanctuary, then there is no wipe ...

3 minutes ago, Zarcata said:

Now that is a really good question.

NQ, can you please make up your mind and lets us know? Nothing good will come out of delaying an announcement any longer.

15 minutes ago, Distinct Mint said:

It depends on the justification, doesn't it?
If one wants to "reshape" the existing planets and therefore justifies the wipe, this small moon could remain untouched.

If the reason for the area wipe is to prevent players from using a lot of good mining areas for mining units and wanting to re-roll these values, this small moon could also be excluded, since the values on this moon were all equally weighted and fairly adjusted anyway.

If it is purely about the economy, the moon would also only play a minor role. Who among the new players would come to this moon, especially since you can't take any territories there?

Of course, you could now store and secure vast quantities of raw materials and all your possessions there. However, it also costs a lot of time and resources to undertake such a "move" there.

In the end, an economic wipe is pointless anyway, because the problem of rich or poor players will always be there and is only delayed by the wipe. after a few weeks and months there will be very rich and very poor players again. So for me it's not a sensible reason, it's just harassment.

4 hours ago, Distinct Mint said:

I disagree. A wipe sparing Sanctuary would accomplish (almost) everything on their most-favored scenarios.  They'd get to revamp the planets (except Sanctuary), which they seem most interested in doing. Removing resources accumulated doesn't seem to be very high on their list. 

There's no point wiping until you fix the issues you've noted in your internal discussions as being the need for the wipe. The wipe itself will just delay them re-occuring, not fix them.

I would accept a wipe, but there needs to be a recognition of the effort current players put in, based on your committment to not wiping. Converting quanta \ assets into gametime perhaps?

I'd also like to see creative stuff retained, voxel only blueprinters for example.

If it's just a hard wipe, I wouldn't start from zero again.

Edited by jonny2352

If NQ just told us what the problem realy is. We could all acctually give our honest opinion about the issue.
In this case we cant realy do that. Since this post is bringing in more questions then answers.

Technical Issues needs a Wipe. Thats hard but if its needed it is needed. At least we would understand. But people also want guaranteed that this will be the last wipe ever.
Balance Issues, That should be something time can solve. Not a Wipe.

Dear NQ i realy hope your team comes up with a better way to communicate about your goal of the game.
Lots of people have the feeling you guys dont know what you want. Wich makes it hard to make dissicions.

Edited by Orbidity

I tried to address the NQ post without any emotion or position. While I would rather not wipe I'm not completely against it. I'm really concerned the reasoning for a wipe is over looking the root causes that will come back post any amounts of wipe.

Fix the problems not erase each time they occur! 

A reset would be an opportunity to remove things that have been deemed very unpopular by the already existing community, such as the schematics. The only way to remove them in a clean way without causing too many disturbances in the economy is clearly when the in-game economy has been just reset.

So any future features (AvA, TW, Power) that end up being unpopular will be handled how? The above suggest a wipe is the answer to that post release if unpopular features happens again. 

Many tests/adjustments during Beta have impacted the in-game economy, leading to have some players getting extremely rich way faster than intended, due to an intensive use of some features in their early stage, such as the mission system (and that's understandable, as the situation is part of a normal process in the development of a game). However, it's also common practice in the game development process to usually have some kind of reset when critical milestones are reached, and resetting the economy to have a healthy start once the game has been stabilized and the game features have become more balanced makes sense.

There are many things we were told that never came as of now and most likely will hopefully come post release. How would any of these be different in impacting the in-game economy or allowing players to get extremely rich way faster than intended, due to an intensive use of some features in their early stage? This is again telling us a wipe is the answer and wipe will just occur again when new unpopular feature is introduced. 

As you, our current experienced players, will have quite an advantage compared to the new players on many levels (game knowledge, talent points, wealth, constructs already owned), there's a need to make things a bit more balanced to give a fighting chance to the wave of new players that will join the Community later.

A wipe to achieve this helps how in 18 months from now?

We also want to give all the players (new players as much as a big part of the early backers who have waited for the game to be in a fairly polished state) to have the opportunity of the right start.

In 18 months, what is being done to help new or returning players then?

In case of a wipe, finding a way for our veteran players to allow them to keep (or rebuild quickly) their favorite constructs, without creating any loophole for players to bypass the reset (and defeat the purpose of why it’s done).

Snappable preview based BP's solve this and we seen some of that on PTS. 

Some planets currently do not have the quality and polished state the Novaquark team wants to give them. We also have seen that a part of the Community has the same opinion on the topic, and this is why the dev team has been planning a revamp for the planets which haven’t received one already.

We had a terrain wipe for this purpose. This seems like a item that will always have iterations and improvements. The above provides a impression that we either will not get more planet visual tech updates down the road or the answer to them will be wipes post release.