SHEDDING LIGHT ON A NOVAQUARK INTERNAL DISCUSSION - discussion thread

NQ-Wanderer

9 minutes ago, FuriousPuppy said:

the goal is to get back to 450k players

How is this going to happen? That is a wish for which you would have to present something properly - not just in the short term, but in the long term. There have been many games in recent years that burst out of all servers at the beginning and complained about empty servers after a very short time, to the point of complete failure. Currently, I don't see how you could keep 450,000 permanently with the content.

2 hours ago, Leppard said:

Well, i already canceled my subscriptions, and when a wipe happens i never return. It's a matter of trust. A company that does'nt keep their promises is not trustworthy - i'll spend my money elsewhere.

And by the way - a dissatisfied customer spreads the word far more than one who is satisfied - this whole thing will damage the reputation of NQ far more than they may think.

Not really, wen a player left a game, are not every day on forums, and normaly is focused in a new game.

12 minutes ago, Sycopata said:

Not really, wen a player left a game, are not every day on forums, and normaly is focused in a new game.

May be - but there are many occasions, where a dissatisfied ex-player of DU can drop the message, even in other game forums - just like in this one here, where many posts mention EVE or other games.

3 hours ago, FuriousPuppy said:

the DU player count was rock bottom before the wipe was announced. They really dont care if you are happy or not because the goal is to get back to 450k players not 1k or less that its currently at. I already spend my money elsewhere, im just here for the dumpsterfire that is NQ

I feel like it bounced a bit and was gradually getting better. The recent wipe talk has been rough. I am sure NQ has the metrics to see the impact.

2 hours ago, Doombad said:

I feel like it bounced a bit and was gradually getting better. The recent wipe talk has been rough. I am sure NQ has the metrics to see the impact.

I'd argue it was stabilizing and the churn was improving. The talk of wipe and the sour taste NQ has left... may have had an affect on that, IDK- haven't been on a lot lately to see numbers, though https://mmo-population.com/r/dualuniverse/ shows it as it's lowest peek of players yet. There was a lot of positive buzz in my group about DU and the "comeback" it was starting to make.... it was cool to see.

IDK, it's been nice to not be on the rollercoaster for a couple weeks. Haven't quit DU, but am taking a welcomed break till they decide what they want to do for wipe/launch coming up. I really hope NQ can sort things out and not kill their game before it's released.

6 hours ago, FuriousPuppy said:

the DU player count was rock bottom before the wipe was announced. They really dont care if you are happy or not because the goal is to get back to 450k players not 1k or less that its currently at. I already spend my money elsewhere, im just here for the dumpsterfire that is NQ

Same here. Since about a year. DU forum can be quite entertaining, actually more than the game itself.

And what is the most funny part is that people try to paint the PvP players as the culprits. Like this game has been a train wreck for so long but now PvP is the problem. It is really funny to watch from the outside.

9 hours ago, Leppard said:

This fairness argument is so delusional and absurd. Let's say the server starts on 08/01/22, then every player joining this game one, two or 6 month later is entitled to call this an unfair game. 
I would have absolutely nothing against a wipe if NQ hadn't made people pay money for the beta. For me and many others, the start of the beta was the release of the game.

I've been paying $20 every 3 months for this beta game for almost a year. Of course, because of that, I only have 1 account with over 42M skill points. So not all of us here have free beta accounts and since we do not, our opinions shouldn't be discarded and prolly have more weight that FREE accounts. I say this because we've already proven we take money out of our pockets and have been supporting the game. I would easily agree to start over on only 1 brand new server. I would rather play with a new crop of players with a fresh economy than perpetuate whatever this travesty of coding has become.

There are really 2 types of MMO gamers anymore. Those who enjoy the experience with others or those who want to easy mode and NEED to have a head start on as many others as possible. The latter rarely stick around for the long haul.

"IF" NQ can afford to run 2 servers than they should do so. They offered so there must be some thought into the process of making it available?

Edited by LoveToDie

I would gladly pay for 2 Subs if they keep Blueprints and Talent Points, otherwise I'm done period.

Also players who have paid subscriptions should be compensated in some way.

A great game that has lost it's way.......Wake up Novaquake.

And stop the BS and tell us Wipe or No Wipe.

Edited by MRegomania

I can say with certainty I will be back if there is a wipe.

I love to see how many quickly dismiss a wipe as being unable to fix the issues of equality given that in x months we would be in the same position. In my opinion the reason a wipe is needed is to clean the slate from the previous exploits and unintended mechanics that have allowed certain parties to gain an unfair advance without these being rectified at the time.

The schematic issues are a prime example of a time where some players who happened to be in the right place at the right time or had prior knowledge were able to exploit an error and profit a significant amount as a result. Whilst the exploit was fixed there was no balancing of the funds gained by these players which ended up having a fairly significant impact on several alliances.

3 hours ago, LoveToDie said:

I've been paying $20 every 3 months for this beta game for almost a year. Of course, because of that, I only have 1 account with over 42M skill points. So not all of us here have free beta accounts and since we do not, our opinions shouldn't be discarded and prolly have more weight that FREE accounts.

Wow... $20 all of 4 times... Wow.  Believe I shelled out $175 for my Patron account.  Remember that the core of Alpha and Beta "free" accounts made early investments.

53 minutes ago, Jurekiedi said:

I love to see how many quickly dismiss a wipe as being unable to fix the issues of equality given that in x months we would be in the same position. In my opinion the reason a wipe is needed is to clean the slate from the previous exploits and unintended mechanics that have allowed certain parties to gain an unfair advance without these being rectified at the time.

The schematic issues are a prime example of a time where some players who happened to be in the right place at the right time or had prior knowledge were able to exploit an error and profit a significant amount as a result. Whilst the exploit was fixed there was no balancing of the funds gained by these players which ended up having a fairly significant impact on several alliances.

I keep asking this question. How does the inequality affect you?

On 4/17/2022 at 8:13 PM, yamamushi said:

EDIT: 
Message removed for advertising another game in a thread dedicated to feedback on Dual Universe. We can understand you're upset about changes in the development of Dual Universe and we're thankful for all the involvement you had in the Dual Universe community during several years. If at some point you want to come back on the game, you will be welcomed. However, all this doesn't give you the right to have such behavior on the forum.

Disappointing. I was just looking for this post So I could check at what this game was about.

Candidly, NQ is going to sit quiet a bit longer because they have proven woefully incompetent with the community. 

They will wipe the servers. Some people will come back, then quit again after a month or two because it is still not the game for which they are looking.

This, combined with the people who left because of the wipe lead to DU’s failure, which will be a damned shame.

Pardon, but I have the answer about the wipe already.
For sure, there will be a 100% Full Wipe. No blueprints at all, no talent points.

Why ? Because NQ did it always. First they announced a partial reset, and said what they wanted to keep. Then a few days before reset they said : "Well, we made a new decision, probably it will be best to not let players, who spent month in scanning territories, keep their scan reports."

So somehow NQ is SOOOOOOOOO much scared of being unfair to, not even knowing new player yet, that they rather hurt the player which  they know very close and get money from. Player who spend time, money, creativity and passion in it.
Sometimes player in here say it is no content in the game. Sorry, but then you need to play a story driven game rather than a "player creativity content creation" game if you don't get it, there will be no one, taking your hand and leading you to a map with thousends of quests all over the map. 

And WE MADE CONTENT already. It took countless hours every day. Content in terms of nice ships, elevators, bases, cities, infrastructure and amazing scripts of real geniuses.

So my beloved NQ team, do you think most of us can repeat that after a wipe ?
Put same energy and lifetime into it ?
And now, please read carefully :
TO ALWAYS KNOW, THAT IF YOU HAVE TROUBLE WITH A LITTLE PLUGIN OR WHATEVER, IT CAN ALWAYS BE A WIPE AGAIN !!!
"NQ" and the word "persist" does somehow not fit together anymore. 
How can we start over again and put again years in the game, to create something we can keep as long as WE want to keep it (because we pay money to NQ) and not how long NQ "allows" us to keep it ? 
It is 100% your game, and you proved it a few times already to the community.
And please do NOT start promising : "this will be the last wipe in the game"
Me as a comedian, I know how hard it is to find a punchline like this !

What are your thoughts after the wipe ?
Most player will start again from scratch PLUS thousands of new player because the player news in social media channels are that great ? 

Not sure how this can be happening.
I think it could really be the last wipe. Simply because there will be no player anymore to recognize your next wipe after this one.

Please also think about your code and backend technic!
Why on earth...erm......Alioth, do you need so much resets and wipes always before you are going to do a "big" change ?
What about a big change in, let's say, 5 years ? Will you do a wipe then ? (don't smile, say "no", and believe yourself now !)
Do you think there will be always 450k NEW player after a wipe ?

Consider EVE or other games have to act like this ?
To let people pay constantly in beta AND doing resets and wipes isn’t the best idea, huh ?

But for sure also after this, you are going to do a full wipe !
By the way, I always supported you in our community if someone said : "uhh, they changed color of some voxels" "uhh, they made a change here, i dont like" and so on. I always said: "You try different ways to play the game, so let NQ also try different ways to put game mechanic in."

But i truly never thought you would announce a wipe !

Many of us (if not all) would have not put so much energy in building bases (also underground bases dug up) which took years. And now since a few of us dug up their 24 L core underground base because of your surface reset and your tool only could dig out squares and this could not give back the shape the base had before. So after this week's and month of work again, to restore the look of such building you tell us: "There will be a wipe" ? Wow ! Your Balls having the size of Jago and Teoma !

You always told us, this is a fantastic persist world. That's why a lot of player took this serious and creates amazing things because we have known (because we did trust you) IT WILL BE PERSIST.

And now you say: "LOL, no, i´ts not"

Me personal, I stopped playing the game at all because I have following projects in DU right now:

- copy/paste my 24 L core space station to a new place because I moved base and I love the caterpillar elevators and want to use them in the future.

- calculating a few ships where we want to sell in future

- calculating mining outposts, also for selling.

- building base and infrastructure

The Reason I stopped playing is: How much sense does it make, to work on my projects, if I don't know your decision ?
So by the way, how long will that take in your mind, until we worth it, to hear your decision  ?

Last thing: How could a full wipe work to be fair for everybody ?

me, i did a lot of digging ores and then build a factory and got my quanta on this way = after a wipe, gone = very long time to have that many quanta and luxury items again after wipe .

Others were creating amazing ships with very nice designs = also gone and also long time to get it back to this level

And what about our amazing LUA scripting geniuses ? 

First minute in game after wipe = copy/paste all scripts from *.txt files back into game.
So scripter have a 100% backup of all work AND have a "ready to sell" product in about 60 seconds after first login after wipe.

We "builder" do not have such a backup or a "ready to sell" product.

So talking about "fair to all" ? How does this fit into your world ?

Make your decision good, but make it SOON.
Meetings every day, and no vacation until decision.
This is just a splinter, you owe us!
You already have stolen us enough real life time.

But I know that you probably not wanted to hurt anyone of us.

So I wish you a great day and a good progress to your decision.

Dylan Hunt
(always for a good commonwealth)

24 minutes ago, DylanHunt said:

Pardon, but I have the answer about the wipe already.
For sure, there will be a 100% Full Wipe. No blueprints at all, no talent points.

Why ? Because NQ did it always. First they announced a partial reset, and said what they wanted to keep. Then a few days before reset they said : "Well, we made a new decision, probably it will be best to not let players, who spent month in scanning territories, keep their scan reports."

So somehow NQ is SOOOOOOOOO much scared of being unfair to, not even knowing new player yet, that they rather hurt the player which  they know very close and get money from. Player who spend time, money, creativity and passion in it.
Sometimes player in here say it is no content in the game. Sorry, but then you need to play a story driven game rather than a "player creativity content creation" game if you don't get it, there will be no one, taking your hand and leading you to a map with thousends of quests all over the map. 

And WE MADE CONTENT already. It took countless hours every day. Content in terms of nice ships, elevators, bases, cities, infrastructure and amazing scripts of real geniuses.

So my beloved NQ team, do you think most of us can repeat that after a wipe ?
Put same energy and lifetime into it ?
And now, please read carefully :
TO ALWAYS KNOW, THAT IF YOU HAVE TROUBLE WITH A LITTLE PLUGIN OR WHATEVER, IT CAN ALWAYS BE A WIPE AGAIN !!!
"NQ" and the word "persist" does somehow not fit together anymore. 
How can we start over again and put again years in the game, to create something we can keep as long as WE want to keep it (because we pay money to NQ) and not how long NQ "allows" us to keep it ? 
It is 100% your game, and you proved it a few times already to the community.
And please do NOT start promising : "this will be the last wipe in the game"
Me as a comedian, I know how hard it is to find a punchline like this !

What are your thoughts after the wipe ?
Most player will start again from scratch PLUS thousands of new player because the player news in social media channels are that great ? 

Not sure how this can be happening.
I think it could really be the last wipe. Simply because there will be no player anymore to recognize your next wipe after this one.

Please also think about your code and backend technic!
Why on earth...erm......Alioth, do you need so much resets and wipes always before you are going to do a "big" change ?
What about a big change in, let's say, 5 years ? Will you do a wipe then ? (don't smile, say "no", and believe yourself now !)
Do you think there will be always 450k NEW player after a wipe ?

Consider EVE or other games have to act like this ?
To let people pay constantly in beta AND doing resets and wipes isn’t the best idea, huh ?

But for sure also after this, you are going to do a full wipe !
By the way, I always supported you in our community if someone said : "uhh, they changed color of some voxels" "uhh, they made a change here, i dont like" and so on. I always said: "You try different ways to play the game, so let NQ also try different ways to put game mechanic in."

But i truly never thought you would announce a wipe !

Many of us (if not all) would have not put so much energy in building bases (also underground bases dug up) which took years. And now since a few of us dug up their 24 L core underground base because of your surface reset and your tool only could dig out squares and this could not give back the shape the base had before. So after this week's and month of work again, to restore the look of such building you tell us: "There will be a wipe" ? Wow ! Your Balls having the size of Jago and Teoma !

You always told us, this is a fantastic persist world. That's why a lot of player took this serious and creates amazing things because we have known (because we did trust you) IT WILL BE PERSIST.

And now you say: "LOL, no, i´ts not"

Me personal, I stopped playing the game at all because I have following projects in DU right now:

- copy/paste my 24 L core space station to a new place because I moved base and I love the caterpillar elevators and want to use them in the future.

- calculating a few ships where we want to sell in future

- calculating mining outposts, also for selling.

- building base and infrastructure

The Reason I stopped playing is: How much sense does it make, to work on my projects, if I don't know your decision ?
So by the way, how long will that take in your mind, until we worth it, to hear your decision  ?

Last thing: How could a full wipe work to be fair for everybody ?

me, i did a lot of digging ores and then build a factory and got my quanta on this way = after a wipe, gone = very long time to have that many quanta and luxury items again after wipe .

Others were creating amazing ships with very nice designs = also gone and also long time to get it back to this level

And what about our amazing LUA scripting geniuses ? 

First minute in game after wipe = copy/paste all scripts from *.txt files back into game.
So scripter have a 100% backup of all work AND have a "ready to sell" product in about 60 seconds after first login after wipe.

We "builder" do not have such a backup or a "ready to sell" product.

So talking about "fair to all" ? How does this fit into your world ?

Make your decision good, but make it SOON.
Meetings every day, and no vacation until decision.
This is just a splinter, you owe us!
You already have stolen us enough real life time.

But I know that you probably not wanted to hurt anyone of us.

So I wish you a great day and a good progress to your decision.

Dylan Hunt
(always for a good commonwealth)

This is what they are struggling with:

6dahs9.jpg

1 hour ago, Pleione said:

Wow... $20 all of 4 times... Wow.  Believe I shelled out $175 for my Patron account.  Remember that the core of Alpha and Beta "free" accounts made early investments.

WTF does this mean? If you PAID for your game time I wasn't talking to you...right?

1 hour ago, Jurekiedi said:

Nothing is equal, those who put money/time into the game should be rewarded and not have what they payed for taken away from them for some idealist dream that "everyone is going to be equal now" No, you wont be equal, the whales will whale and get their mission trains going again. The "nerf" only made it so they just need more accounts so they can gather more of the same mission and pay people to run more than one train at a time. There will be multi-billionaires in weeks, and that has no real effect on you. Aside from some people who don't actually know how to manipulate the market, we haven't seen anything drastic come from these "exploiters" as most of the people who did it earlyish on don't even play the game anymore. Instead of talking about a wipe, we need to talk about getting a real game loop that's going to people in the game past 2-3 months. Betting on killing off your "hardcore" player base to get some fly-by-night subscribers isn't going to be a good look when those vets blast the game on every forum about them not keeping any single promise they have made. The kickstarter backers haven't been made whole, the alpha backers and very early beta backers who were told, no matter what happens, we would keep our constructs and the things we earned/created in game, are getting a kick in the nuts. If it takes killing your player base to try to attract people who have already moved on to other games (those that left pre .23) then, you might want to look at another path forward. Baiting people into trying to side with you with slated dev articles that show favoritism to any/all wipes and the removal of schematics is pretty low. 

TL;DR - NQ needs to make good on their promises to the people who put time/money into the game and look for a way to keep any new players from just being a part of what will likely be a very high churn rate.

2 hours ago, Doombad said:

I keep asking this question. How does the inequality affect you?

As a member of one of the more PvP focused groups back when these things happened it allowed certain groups to accelerate their designs and ability to instantly replace ships with their ill gotten gains whereas groups who were not in a position or chose to not exploit were relegated to actually having to play the game as intended to replace assets.

Wiping the slate clean with a server wide wipe is the only way to now fix what should have been fixed when it occurred. If those same groups get ahead and into a similar position as they are now through playing the game and not profiting off bugs and exploits then I commend their ability and would have no complaints.

2 hours ago, Jurekiedi said:

As a member of one of the more PvP focused groups back when these things happened it allowed certain groups to accelerate their designs and ability to instantly replace ships with their ill gotten gains whereas groups who were not in a position or chose to not exploit were relegated to actually having to play the game as intended to replace assets.

Wiping the slate clean with a server wide wipe is the only way to now fix what should have been fixed when it occurred. If those same groups get ahead and into a similar position as they are now through playing the game and not profiting off bugs and exploits then I commend their ability and would have no complaints.

I don't care what others got thru exploits. I played legit grinded legit killed ships legit and don't feel like I was left behind or was not competitive in PvP. What I do care about is that the 2 years grind would be made a waste of time. What others got thru exploits was negated by anyone running missions. These were nerfed to the ground and no serious Missionrunner considers still fly any mission anymore. That means also no more Hauler kills for any PvP guy the rest besides missions can be warped. A surplus of sz roids and MU took away the need to go rare exotic roids for ores reduced chance for fights and kills for PvP players once again. So if you are a PvP player how would you feel if they take you earned kills in form of a graveyard away do you think that is fair ? Scripters can be day one selling scripts, Builders can sell BP. Just the progress of those that mined fought and traded is taken away. Once again is that fair?

9 hours ago, LoveToDie said:

I've been paying $20 every 3 months for this beta game for almost a year. Of course, because of that, I only have 1 account with over 42M skill points. So not all of us here have free beta accounts and since we do not, our opinions shouldn't be discarded and prolly have more weight that FREE accounts.

FREE accounts! 

image.png.15e52834634b77c3413e128b4e9b8328.png

10 minutes ago, Walter said:

I don't care what others got thru exploits. I played legit grinded legit killed ships legit and don't feel like I was left behind or was not competitive in PvP. What I do care about is that the 2 years grind would be made a waste of time. What others got thru exploits was negated by anyone running missions. These were nerfed to the ground and no serious Missionrunner considers still fly any mission anymore. That means also no more Hauler kills for any PvP guy the rest besides missions can be warped. A surplus of sz roids and MU took away the need to go rare exotic roids for ores reduced chance for fights and kills for PvP players once again. So if you are a PvP player how would you feel if they take you earned kills in form of a graveyard away do you think that is fair ? Scripters can be day one selling scripts, Builders can sell BP. Just the progress of those that mined fought and traded is taken away. Once again is that fair?

The big problem are not the grind or exploits of the past. The real problem is how players used new features, like it never was intended. NQ has changed a lot in the last year. Every time a new thing was annouced the players have looked for a way to exploit it. That's okay in the sense of testing. But it hurts the game intention in a finished version. Why ? The "exploit" way is a cascade. Every advantage you gain from one patch rise the advantage on the next. And yes, same features are never was intended to be finished. There was/ is a first version to give NQ feedback to this topic. To remember: The game is in a beta. We are tester, not gamer. So it's ok to test and exploit something. Grind like hell to test the balancing of the game is ok too. But after this the developer must have the possibility to draw conclisions and fix the mess. In this sense: Full wipe pls.

Your complain is not the wipe, it's missing pvp activity. For this we need more players. A lot more new players.  With this the rare t4/t5 MU spots on planets are not enough and you will see more activities at the asteroids and in space.

Every time someone uses the argument that they're going to lose their hard work, it makes me want to cry, I've been playing video games for 30 years, if I have to evaluate all the time spent on video games as work, something doesn't work.

7 minutes ago, Sycopata said:

Every time someone uses the argument that they're going to lose their hard work, it makes me want to cry, I've been playing video games for 30 years, if I have to evaluate all the time spent on video games as work, something doesn't work.

That's because video games changed in some categories so much. A new kind of video games is to build a virtual world of your own imagination and many others at the same place and the same time. If you play around with photoshop to create a nice desktop wallpaper for example and for some reason it would take one year every day a few hours. And then at the end you want to back up it to have this amazing piece of your own creativity forever, but photoshop tells you, they have to redo their software, and you can not back up your file. And now consider you have created this wallpaper together with friends in all that year. A very intense time.

And now you want to compare that with playing video games ?
No offense, but not sure how a "modern content creation" games can be compared to older video games.
And now consider a "player driven content game" where the player can't keep their content......
THAT what makes me want to cry ^^