SHEDDING LIGHT ON A NOVAQUARK INTERNAL DISCUSSION - discussion thread

NQ-Wanderer

3 hours ago, Waffle Boy said:

Anyone else looking forward to starting from scratch again?

i sure am! i'm really excited if a wipe happens. i have an idea for a notepad type lua script that allows creation and editing of custom to-do lists and all its entries, just like that starting to-do list screen on the pts. i think i'd hang out in my starter base and brainstorm business ideas on a big screen, and maybe plan out an office space, a corporate ship, and other things. i love doing stuff like that. might head into the toilet industry (i definitely will) and try and get a monopoly on toilets. i'll sell them at every market!

12 minutes ago, Shredder said:

Gonna be sad to loose my massive underground base,  but my corp mates are all planning to return after a wipe, so happy to have people to play the game with, and am generally happy to start again.

They quit once, they will quit a gain. DU is still the same game with some improvements. 

4 hours ago, Waffle Boy said:

If NQ would not just switch planets to new tech, but instead remake the whole game world, to create a new game experience, then yes.

e.g.

Mix pve/pve zones differently, maybe have full non-safe moons or planets, keep some astral bodies with their pve bubble, use space markets and haven moons as save points, resize the distances, redistribue ores, etc. 

For me either way or any way of wipe-type would be ok, as long as the decision and release is not dragged out for weeks or even months. - right now it creates a pointlessness for playing.

4 hours ago, Waffle Boy said:

I certainly think it will be interesting to start "fresh" with talent points and blueprints maintained.

I actually can see a good few veteran players bond together and start buildinging actual communities around them, including new players which is eexactly what the game needs, instead of the high and mightly towers of wealth and "I have it all" that exists today. ANd that in itself is well worth a wipe IMO.

5 hours ago, Waffle Boy said:

Yes, i expect this time economy works fine, i have 40 milions skill points in industrie, and 200 milions in schematics , and industrie is now dead, i have no motivation to sell products crafted with lvl 5 skills under ore bot price, and im bored to haul ores to markets to sell ore to bots and buy new schematics.

1 hour ago, Doombad said:

They quit once, they will quit a gain. DU is still the same game with some improvements. 

They only quit because the player base was too low, so there was really no pvp to be had.

They’re all also long term eve subscribers, 10+ years) so they are the kind of players I imagine NQ are after.

2 hours ago, CyberDay said:

Its kinda a catch 22, some people want to come back without schematics and stuff, but we dont want to have to lose our stuff to make it happen. Honestly as long as we keep TP, I think there will be a ton less pushback from the vet group.

The problem with talent points, is that (rightly or wrongly) they are viewed as a big advantage by people that don’t play DU, so will discourage a lot of joiners. The best thing for the game is to wipe them (yea I would be said to loose the 70millipn points I have/have paid for, but what’s that point is having them if the game is dead)

I'm pro wipe since a long time for many reasons already explained in this post (bug exploit about gold, mission warp, dupplication market, schematic, etc.) These bugs have ruined the economy.

If we stay in this state, the game can only die after  few weeks after the launch. And i think it's more depressing than try to make DU a good game with more time for dev some features that we need currently. And for this, the wipe is needed

But i would like come back on one point with full wipe (option 4). If NQ delete schematics, we can't come back again pre 0.23. We need a mecanic that limit industries and make sure not all people can craft all. The economy need a limitation about the craft

Another point i would like to come. HOW THE HELL COULD YOU GIVE 1000 L/H of T5 in each resource spot unique ????? 
With this you just kill the mecanic of asteroids... i can understan about 100 L/h but not 1000 L/h !

If people want T5 they can go to farm asteroid T5 or found some tile on external planets but not just put 8 MU on each alien core

11 hours ago, FuriousPuppy said:

(1:30) the reason for a wipe would be "(there is) something that we need to fix and there is no other but to wipe to fix it. I don't see anything like that coming... it's something that would happen if we really had no choice..."

(4:45) "we're going to do everything we can so that we don't have to go through a wipe again"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOp9nDzkxpc

(58:26) "It would be a very bad thing to say 'sorry guys, restart from scratch.'" 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ai3Kk37ntgg

(15:53) "Everything you build is forever"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KD00-V_LKog

(31:58) "Whatever you do after beta starts is going to stay in one way or another... You will get what we call for the moment 'magic blueprints'... blueprints with everything included in it so you will be able to respawn the things as soon as we restart the server. So we don't like to call it 'wipe'... The key thing is the beta is really the start... You can start to invest yourself in the game. We guarantee that you're not going to be losing everything at some point... the universe is blank again, and you have to start from scratch."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syku-NmSg4s&t=1918s

a57e22ce-a4d5-4f24-92bd-281fcd86309d.png

They will just simply say:  It's some sort of outdated historical statement. 

If they really wanna WIPE the game, then please with and also REMOVE the joking PVP too.   It's "unfair to late comer" per NQ's statement, since forth-comer earn more get more work more is very ""UNFAIR"" to late comer".  LOL... Maybe we should suggest NQ to turn the game into a single player game some "cheat code" because it's "unfair" to late-comer which has fewer assets but same fewer effort.  I guess it's unfair to all earlier player instead of later one. 

Full Wipe yes.

Like NQ i see a lot of faultings in the actual game, which are consequences of unpolished features of the past. A clean start can fix this. The game can grow like intended. Better planets are big bonus too. But some questions are open.

If NQ skip the shematics, what replaced them ?  There is not much time left for a new solution. Will we return to pre 0.23 ?
Quanta ? Hopefully part of the wipe. Without it's useless.

Talent points ? A very hot topic. Will we see a reset here too ?

8 hours ago, Waffle Boy said:

I get that, and part of me thinks it would be fun to completely start over.  But I also worry that I will get bored with the game 3 weeks in if it looks like the first year or more of the wiped game will be the same experience I've already had but slower, more grindy, with a smaller community of players and without the 'artefact hunt' to make the first few months interesting. 

5 hours ago, Kanamechan said:

With this you just kill the mecanic of asteroids... i can understan about 100 L/h but not 1000 L/h !

If people want T5 they can go to farm asteroid T5 or found some tile on external planets but not just put 8 MU on each alien core

A bit offtopic, but I agree with this, IMO either T4/T5 should be removed from mining units or it should be from a limited pool which respawns randomly somewhere else when used up (in a way which means you can't just look back over old scans).  But from what people have told me these are usually up to 50 L/h per tile for 7 tiles, which would be quite far short of 1000L./H.  I don't doubt that there might be one or two out there at that rate but I don't think that's typical for a T5 farm ...

I am against a wipe. The initial statement was that there won't be a wipe. So i started playing right from the start. I invested lots of time and money for different accounts in this game. And now the discussion of a maybe wipe is like a kick in the balls.

If NQ would have said right from the start they will wipe on release every1 would have  known. Now to change that is a no go.

I know many players who like me would stop playing cause after 2 years of playing and time investing in the game and now all gone and start from scatch sucks. I don't wanna wait to skill my chars back up and i don't want to rebuild all including ships and buildings etc.

So NQ should get their story straight. Don't sell us shit at Beta start and than change some of the main promises you made!

I got 9 paied accounts....those will be gone for sure......

Just my 5 cents......

I don't believe in my earlier proposals anymore. It doesn't matter if they find a totally acceptable compromise. There are too many who couldn't see it as a compromise, nothing short of a total wipe will satisfy a large chunk of the "player"-"base", and for some I don't even believe deleting LUA out of people's notepads could satisfy their delusions of purity. After a wipe they will understand how their expectations had no correlation with the outcome, and sizzle out. Probably won't even admit to themselves they actually didn't care that much, and if anything blame NQ, more likely just drop the game for a newer toy without giving another thought to DU... "tHe EcOnOmY iS bRoKeN" will be the final verdict, with no further elaboration of what that's supposed to mean, and what crackpot expectations go into "the economy not being broken".

And in the end I won't blame NQ, all they needed was time to work, and patience on our part. I don't know why they would be so stupid as to open this pandora's box, but I can only assume they lack confidence in being able to not be outcheesed in a partial wipe. It doesn't matter, everything that follows is inevitable.

On 4/16/2022 at 5:35 PM, Zarcata said:

Do not quite understand the inclination to PvP. in principle, PvP is already included in the game as a basic framework. If you want to, you can let off steam and have fun with PvP in a huge PvP zone. What exactly should be included? Why should players who are not interested in PvP be encouraged to participate in it? Is there a lack of fancy arenas or should the solar system be made fancier, like "mists to hide in"?
We are not in a typical mmorpg with DualUniverse, where the developers take the player by the hand and tell them what to do. So, if you want PvP, you should create your own content, that's what PvE players do.

Probably a little bit offtopic but I get the feeling others have no idea why people do PvP in a sandbox or what their motivation is.

Yes I come from EVE. But PvP in EvE has only roughly something to do with "letting off steam". Arenas do also exist in EVE too from time to time but I don't care about them because that is a boring gameplay.

Sometimes I just want to mine in EVE and rat (earn money by killing NPC enemies) a little bit. But then there are so many hostiles in our space so I jump into a PvP ship and join a defense fleet. To protect the area I am living in and to be able to mine and get money in the future. PvP is more about defending and securing your space. Or expanding it. Not so much about "letting off steam".
And I like that when I mine I have to check comms and intel if I am safe or if there are enemies nearby. I live in something which is roughly something like the "not safe zone" in DU.

Yes DU has not good tools to support that gameplay. And that is why people ask for more interesting mechanics for PvP.

But your reasoning why people play open PvP games like EVE and participate in PvP is extremely weird.

8 minutes ago, FuriousPuppy said:

yoooo... I got a trolling warning point for them memes I made...

better not hurt NQs feelings with reality lol, they strugglin

NQ has slapped a few peoples wrists today... Just gotta make funnier memes? So far I've had zero warnings for the memes I've made, and I've made some spicy ones.  Maybe the powers that be at NQ still leiks me, idk. Will say that before this mess I was more "constructive" in my posting on the forums, now it's mostly satire to stoke the flames of constructive discussion. Though the line between satire & trolling is pretty thin....

From the sounds of it several people have been reprimanded in the last few hours on the forums. The sad thing, instead of working to communicate and work with their community to resolve the issue(they created through multiple wipe mentions without an answer, and continue to pick at the scab!) they let it fester like a wound... day after day. and now their stop-gap is to start reprimanding people that are upset for what I see as largely legitimate reasons... for many MMO's are hobbies, and playing for many is a hobby due to the time investment. 

This is the first time playing a game where I've been this upset with the developers... have wanted to tell them how it is and well... doom/gloom. Have written a couple things out and was like 'Nah, this is just over the line' and figured "if I didn't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all"... which is sad, I love DU, the community at large, and there are several key developers I think are legitimately trying to make it work under not the most ideal conditions on a tech/platform that does something no other game really does with pieces that no other platform uses.

Feels bad man.

30 minutes ago, FuriousPuppy said:

yoooo... I got a trolling warning point for them memes I made...

better not hurt NQs feelings with reality lol, they strugglin

I wouldn't be surprised if those were genuinly reported by somebody who wasn't personally insulted. Do not underestimate the circlejerk.