SHEDDING LIGHT ON A NOVAQUARK INTERNAL DISCUSSION - discussion thread

NQ-Wanderer

I like a full wipe with a benefit given to existing players. Give us a boost in talent points to make up for it, since it is breaking the promise we were made when we started investing time into an Alpha/Beta. Other then that, I think if you are going to wipe just make it a clean slate.

I think the wipe is a good thing, I always thought it would be a positive thing. But that said, NQ needs a long term solution to this problem regardless. Do new players want to join a server where they will be behind? Some new system needs to be added to help new players or give them an advantage until they are established.

Minor edit - if you wipe. Do it soon then make it a guarantee it will not happen again. I am good with a wipe for release, and then never again. That said, the release better be coming soon since I won't be putting any more time into the game until release at that rate.

The tea leaves point towards a wipe. Even a full wipe LUA creators are way ahead. There is zero way to truley level the playing field. There has to be a way to remove schematics without a wipe.

I feel like you are just sucking my money at this point until you officially say there is a wipe becuase I will cancel all of my paid accounts and return to console gaming.  

This beating around the bush feel like a play to suck every penny out of the paid subscribers as you can. 

I did no exploits or mission abuse with alts and up until about a month ago fromt he start of beta grinded my way to where I can play my way when I want to.  I am not starting over.

Of course I do not want a wipe but a chance I will leave even before them becuase your effort at transparency feels more like a money grab. 

Anyway, if there is a WIPE, what is the core value of this game being "persistence" in DU universe.  Then just make everything like fast food.  Don't waste your effort or change the game type to some soft of idle-style mobile game.  If this is not a meta-verse like MMO, then wipe. Wipe every month, wipe every day, ...or wipe each time for all login.  Then it's brilliantly fair to new users, an no one care to build anything in this wiping game.  Lol.  Wipe the game and re-develop everything could be another good idea TOO!!

1 hour ago, Overstimuloredom said:

Oh and just a little anecdote: I play this mod project diablo 2 and this tiny dev team on their super old game that has seen loads of cheating software over the years... they have an iron fist over their servers. If you wanna play in LAN you ask nicely and they whitelist you for a day or a weekend.

This sort of thing is not a unicorn, but it takes work, human work.

Many things, but most of all, they WANT people to have alts. Its more money, and there is no real feasible/non-super manpower intensive way to verify each person that plays. It doesn't make sense for them from a financial standpoint, at all. There is a near 0% chance of them "cracking down on alts". Based on the mission system changes, they want you to have even MORE alts so you can run the ones together that have the same RNG mission. There are so many ways someone could transfer money between characters that wouldn't be detectable without a really thorough log search, and lets be real, they don't have the man-power for that. 

Honestly if they make alts legal again after that transition, I'm fine with it either way. It's just that alts make it hard for NQ to fairly do a partial wipe, because assets can be disseminated, and people have more options to find a way to cheese the rules.

I do get the appeal of it being generally easier and more managable for NQ to just wipe it all, but to what cost, the unique premisse of the game and their reputation are on the line, especially if there are big screw ups after a total wipe it would be devastating... It's like saying I can save 5 seconds if I enter my home by breaking in through a window... Extremly short-sighted.

20 minutes ago, FuriousPuppy said:

when I first started, they promised no wipes, so no matter how brutal the game was during its development phases I always thought that things will be fine, now they walk that back

That promise was never made, you think it is, but you are mistaken. No matter how many times you or anyone who thinks the same  for some reason tries to make that stick, it won't.

Just now, blazemonger said:

That promise was never made, you think it is, but you are mistaken. No matter how many times you or anyone who thinks the same  for some reason tries to make that stick, it won't.

The promise we wouldn't lose our constructs IS something that actually did happen though.

35 minutes ago, FuriousPuppy said:

its not just that bro, its that they keep walking back promises or statements 

when I first started, they promised no wipes, so no matter how brutal the game was during its development phases I always thought that things will be fine, now they walk that back

they said the blue ring around the center was only a temporary safe zone... which ended up being permanent. I stayed on sanc for like 4 months because I didnt want to lose a ship coming from alioth market.

they promised no auto mining units and now here we are, all planet side mining is gone.

They keep saying one thing, and then reverting it over and over.

PVP is a joke in its current state and many many players left over floating elements being the meta for pvp ships. They said they would fix it but the adjustments they made were so bad that even 6 billion quanta ship will die to a 44 million one... just because the game decided it so. 

Game is bad, no spine in the devs, pvp is a joke, and who ever is in charge of deciding stats and outputs needs to go back to school and learn some math already. 

The game is still registered as number 1 space game on all the NQ adds... like what a joke.

Enjoy your 90% miss rate pvp hit scan BS. Maybe they can give pets to all you poor [filtered]s still shilling this game lol

Want a (sad) laugh, here is the original Release Roadmap:

dual_universe.thumb.jpg.4b8e30045f6dd7befc3106863b81d84a.jpg

Note the general tone in things like "Craft your Components" - one was suppose to be able to make everything you needed for your base and ships - not forced to become the universes best Advanced LED manufacturer (e.g. Specialization); "Markets" - build your own and become a mogul - not "join a corp, and become a cog in a wheel"; and the feature that made me an alpha backer:  Galaxy - explore new solar systems (note the plural), all due 22 months ago.  Once procedural planets disappeared, so did Galaxy - although its still out on the roadmap as a post release thing, its now "explore new solar systems as we add new ones to the game - at whatever pace we deem that appropriate".

22 minutes ago, FuriousPuppy said:

you were saying blazemonger? do some research fool

I have, in the context of the conversatioions these quotes are taken from they refer to anothe "full" of "global" wipe, something which I'd agree should/will/can't happen again.

Also, none of the quotes your post here say "We will not wipe again after beta launches."

Maybe take some time and actually listen to/read the quote sin context or even read the actual quotes instead of just copy pasting what you think you are .

And oh.. instead of namecalling and breaking forum TOS, If you can't have an adult discussion/argument, maybe keep quiet ..

Blazemonger has been here a long time and when he asserts something as factual then you can be fairly sure he has a reasonable basis for doing so. While our opinions may differ on many topics, his dedication to truth and precise wording has earned my respect.

You may not agree with what he has to say but that does not make it wrong. Please take the time to consider those statements and the context by which they were written more carefully. I was also present during the time they were made and no such guarantee was ever implied. I would even go so far as to argue that, had NQ made such an absolute promise never to wipe, many early backers would have called it reckless. At best it can be interpreted as "we will not wipe unless necessary". Thus the question we should be debating is whether a wipe is necessary not whether it is permitted.

2 hours ago, blazemonger said:

Their intention, or spirit if you will was however made very clear. No wipe if at all possible, and player resources are forever from this point on. And NQ has yet to mention a single make or break reason that would require a wipe. Wanting to increase the chance of more players joining at the "release-release" for sure is not one, since that is more wishful thinking and there is no way they can know that for sure. And even then it would not be a technical reason for a wipe.

If a wipe has to happen I'd like Megas back. Figure out something with resetting the underground geometry every x days unless the player designates that tile as HQ if so allow for a flag to not reset for those with underground bases. Thinking about doing it all again with asteroid mining or setting up a machine to mine then logging off for weeks until the game does what I considered the fun part... Just no. Guess I could run deliveries but that is also 90% watching the game play itself.

In fact had the current mining paradigm been implemented from the get-go I would never have found the game fun enough to play et-all. To rebuild everything with this system.. please no.

I know it wasn't for everyone but I enjoyed hunting Megas and pulling them out of the ground so much I would even clear a mega out then donate the ore to projects I liked. Thus allowing those creators to continue doing what they loved and all was well in DU. I still feel rudderless after that loss. This is your least fun implementation of mining and you want that to be the basis of a rebuild? I don't know what to say.

27 minutes ago, FuriousPuppy said:

I'm glad he has your respect, I don't spend time here as the dev's can't be bothered to read anything or listen to good advice.

You could drop a bullet proof build model for this game to make it succeed and they will flat ignore it due to sheer stupidity. We spend so much time testing things for the on PTR and finding all the exploits we can and reporting it, only to be ignored on final version and watch the game suffer. 

Blaze has MANY peoples respect on this forum, including NQ in a kind of love/hate relationship (my perspective) since he gave credit when it was due and called it as he saw it when he needed to.

Personally, spent Alpha learning to play, and adjusting as the game changed.  Spent the pre-Beta and Beta release building and daily maintaining the 33 page FAQ that the Discord mods would routinely reference, and countless hours helping on their Discord channel (as have many other Alpha and early Beta players did, including Msoul).  It was sadly amusing when NQ refused to endorse the FAQ - I heard because, shockingly, it implied the game had bugs since it pointed them out and provided work-arounds.  Apparently can't have an endorsed FAQ that implies the game isn't perfect.  Also coordinated the creation of a formal player communication plan that was also deep sixed.  So yeah, NQs listening skills leave a lot to be desired, but I believe we all owe Blaze and Msoul and a few other key players a debt of gratitude and our respect.

(ps.  Dropped supporting the FAQ on October 31st, 2020 around 0.23 release if I recall)

1 hour ago, Waffle Boy said:

Anyone else looking forward to starting from scratch again?

its a major factor for me in the pros column. FTUE is good, progression could actually happen at decent pace, but yet they lack a major resource sink (new pvp isn't going to be a major resource sink) but at least their turning down the biggest one. ideally more issue fixes would be in place, to really make the wipe worth it. 

2 hours ago, Waffle Boy said:

Replying to a bait posting, I should know better 🙂

But for me, no I'm not looking forward to it. For me the game is the things that I do once I have gotten myself to a place where I have enough quanta and materials to be able to do things, without having to worry about where the quanta/materials to do it are going to come from. Getting the materials for me is the chore I need to do in order to be able to play the game. Each time a major gameplay change comes, I need to spend time adapting to that (more chore), before I can settle in again to play. I'm just about over Demeter.

So do I want to repeat the grind process again over another year (I play slowly), just so that I can get to where I am now to let me actually (gasp) play the game? Absolutely not.

3 hours ago, Waffle Boy said:

Gonna be sad to loose my massive underground base,  but my corp mates are all planning to return after a wipe, so happy to have people to play the game with, and am generally happy to start again.

4 minutes ago, Shredder said:

Gonna be sad to loose my massive underground base,  but my corp mates are all planning to return after a wipe, so happy to have people to play the game with, and am generally happy to start again.

Its kinda a catch 22, some people want to come back without schematics and stuff, but we dont want to have to lose our stuff to make it happen. Honestly as long as we keep TP, I think there will be a ton less pushback from the vet group.