SHEDDING LIGHT ON A NOVAQUARK INTERNAL DISCUSSION - discussion thread

NQ-Wanderer

8 hours ago, Megabosslord said:

Your daily reminder that multiple NQ staff in multiple channels, verbally and in writing, said we would get 'magic blueprints' if they ever needed to do a wipe:

a57e22ce-a4d5-4f24-92bd-281fcd86309d.png

(1:30) the reason for a wipe would be "(there is) something that we need to fix and there is no other but to wipe to fix it. I don't see anything like that coming... it's something that would happen if we really had no choice..."

(4:45) "we're going to do everything we can so that we don't have to go through a wipe again"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOp9nDzkxpc

(58:26) "It would be a very bad thing to say 'sorry guys, restart from scratch.'" 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ai3Kk37ntgg

(15:53) "Everything you build is forever"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KD00-V_LKog

(31:58) "Whatever you do after beta starts is going to stay in one way or another... You will get what we call for the moment 'magic blueprints'... blueprints with everything included in it so you will be able to respawn the things as soon as we restart the server. So we don't like to call it 'wipe'... The key thing is the beta is really the start... You can start to invest yourself in the game. We guarantee that you're not going to be losing everything at some point... the universe is blank again, and you have to start from scratch."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syku-NmSg4s&t=1918s

reposting @NQ-Deckard @NQ-Nicodemus@NQ-Nyzaltar

NQ, said you want to give a "balance environment" to late comer, how about us? Supporting NQ for years, someone from Alpha, someone from beginning of Beta.  And said, what is a balance?  Experienced players / loyal supporters for such years, where was your promise and at least some appreciation to us, long supporters. 

Said about balance to late comer, how about players spent years in your GAME ? they lose everything, builds, hard-work-done.  I still remember I spent 10 hours mining in the old days a day, just for those hard-earning $ in game.  Yeah now, it's easy to earn money for still not fair for us such old-player saved a lot $ from old days ...  wipe us all is your only GOOD solution?  You just simply ruin your company reputation for treating old supporter like ... "dump" (in a polite wording).  Or maybe you can simply delete all your players' records, transaction history, including our Beta/ Alpha privilege just like starting a new company? Or maybe u just say your database just hacked and ~~SORRY~~ we just forget everything especially old players. 

Wiping players data in an MMO/ Meta-verse like gaming is not just a BAD idea, but an insane move and treating old supporters like fertilizer. 

Honestly if the concern REALLY is primitive accumulation here is like a 3 minute sketch how to make a tolerable transition, the math could be so much more elegant but as I sais it's a sketch:

-Announce the exact date of the wipe at least one month in advance, make it clear that all structures will be blueprinted, and add a check like we have for HQ, make it clear that everybody gets to keep one building-or-spacestation and one ship. Those 2 assets will become magic blueprints. Keep repeating the rules and the date of the wipe, blast it on max volume on all channels.

-A no tolerance policy for alt-muling, every account needs to have entered a distinct payment info, distinct static IP, distinct client, all other magic-blueprints will be invalidated. Observe these indicators in the month leading up to the wipe, warn everybody who is not conform, in case of non-conformity the oweness is up to the user to prove why two accounts would share payment info/static-ip/client. (HELLO CEO MAN YOU ARE LOOKING AT A VALID REASON TO MAKE EVERYBODY PAY OUT OF POCKET FOR THEIR FIRST MONTH OF SUBSCRIPTION) (HELLO COMMUNITY LOOK HOW I NIPPED MOST OF THE SANCTUARY LANDRUSH IN THE BUTT)

-The day of the wipe shut everything down in a timely manner, make it a celebration.

-Once everybody is locked out, pool all the items in all containers in the two magic blueprints together, turn redundant stacks into 1 pile.

-Refund all schematics at the lowest price they were ever sold by bots (yup though luck, but at least we don't start at 0)

-Indescriminately reduce all wallets and all item stacks to say 33% or 20%, hell make it 0,01% if there truely are whales out there that are order of magnitude bigger, then make element stacks round up to 1 if they are in the "0,000... realm". Feel free to not disclose the exact percentage deleted until you got to take a look at our stuff and stats yourselves.

There will be ways to minmax and bring the most value over, by physically stacking elements in the cores, but NQ can also dissallow the L core to be magic blueprinted.... if the economy can't handle 8000 m cores filled with elements then this persistant world was allways a pipedream. It's actually a great opportunity to get everybody betatesting and debating the planned no-element-stacking changes.

There wil lnot be magic blueprints as since that few times this was mentioned a lot has happened which woudl make tha bad idea. The person who made those comments also no longer runs or is even part of the company so what he may or may not have said (and he has said some crazy things) is really not relevant.

All these comments also refer to another FULL/GLOBAL wipe if needed, not the partial wipe I expect wil lhappen.

My money is stil on a wipe shortly before release with normal blueprints for the constructs you either are the creator for or have no DRM as well as talent points back to the pool

2 minutes ago, Overstimuloredom said:

-A no tolerance policy for alt-muling, every account needs to have entered a distinct payment info, distinct static IP, distinct client, all other magic-blueprints will be invalidated. 

Not everyone has a static IP and people often play together on a LAN. You can't rely on hardware-level fingerprints because that doesn't stop multi-boxing and every GFN instance would likely have the same fingerprint. Hardware fingerprints suck anyway -- people are allowed to play on multiple computers or purchase new computers.

Payment info is easy to get around by buying game codes...and unless Xsolla offers a way to detect/enforce distinct payment methods (I doubt they do) NQ would have no way to do this without implementing a new gateway themselves. If they were going to do this, they would have already to get away from Xsolla's absurdly high rates (they are almost twice industry standard).

As has been discussed before, there's no technical way to identify someone multi-boxing vs. playing over LAN together...and some manual review of people on shared IPs wouldn't work because there's no "proof" you could present or refute (setting aside that this just isn't a scalable/reasonable thing to do). 

The issue isn't with the tech, it's with the design... 

You said that a million times everybody knows, way to not engage with the substance of an honest attempt to find a compromise. As hollow as what was listed in NQ's post. Are we going to spew platitudes until the wipe falls out of the sky? Is it doomed to allways go this way?

Honestly, I really hope that, no matter what decision NQ takes, from now on they take exploits more seriously. This is what pretty much left us on this shitty state of needing a wipe, in first place.

Mission implementation was a mistake, sure, and they really seem to be fixing it with Athena, which is cool, but stuff such as the "flash blueprint sale" of last year really deserved a rollback, and sure it was something simple NQ could have done, rolling back the world in a few minutes or just removing those items. Now, talking real exploits, such as item duplication, infinite container range, those who actively use them should face harsher sanctions, either by having their assets removed or being banned (along with their alts too, to prevent laundering). Why has it taken so long while in cases such as Market 15, where the offsense was much smaller, NQ took action so fast?

Anyways, I'm okay with wiping the whole world back to zero for release, maybe just leave some talent points in our accounts as a "reward" for our time in beta or something, but please, NQ, take action when players abuse exploits. It's not fun for anyone and this WILL have lots of consequences when mechanics such as Territory Warfare come up.

I have been thinking a lot about this in the past days. I guess many of us have. This is the last I'll say about it.

Some approach a no-wipe by giving arguments, some by ultimatums, some by expressing how they feel, some disappear in silence, some undergo it, and some approach it by bargaining: your wipe is ok if you leave me with this; thinking to compromise.

The pro-wipe people on the other hand have yet to present to me a convincing argument. Everyone agrees that a wipe will resolve symptoms, for some time, but, in the end, that it wouldn't resolve the underlying issues. Thus, history will repeat itself (mark this). NQ could still make mistakes (e.g., radar in PTS just recently) affecting us, and that can't be prevented, it is the nature of development. People will still exploit these mistakes, it is the nature of people, and should be punished for it if they could have known better.

Hence, I need to conclude that the only real reasons for a wipe, from the player-base's perspective, are competitiveness, seeing the world burn, not caring, trolling, ignorance, aside from technical reasons that are parroted, of which I have said before: any good technical reason would result in a statement from NQ that there would be a wipe and to what extent. And that is not what we got.

Nevertheless, I get NQ's point of view .. it is about minimizing collateral (us) on the prospect of new players at launch, but also old players that gave up somewhere along the way, most notably around 0.23. They might be convinced of the need to promise a leveled playing field at launch, given the state of the game today, while not angering its community too much not to lose those that actually play the game, and organize fun in it.

Some propose a poll in here ... I think the poll is being executed by this post of NQ (like they did through previous ambiguous announcements). Else, if that wasn't its purpose, I don't get it. Not only has it sowed discord, it has created distrust, is ineffective, is giving people time to reconsider things and move on, killed the incentive to play the game, and what not. Whatever NQ's ultimate decision would be, this post has done much more harm than it could have done good. That's why I said in #duscussion that NQ is probably watching the channel with a big bowl of popcorn, as all of this is either incredibly shortsighted or intentional, and how can it not be intentional?

But, NQ: IF you had just laid out your concerns, instead, and the fact that you don't have a good solution, without any hint as to what you would/could decide or implement it. That would have been constructive as it would help people see your point of view, and you would have gotten a response much less driven by emotion (or have casted people in emotional roller-coasters). This could have helped you see what your community thinks about it (who have all been new players at some point), rather than making them angry at you and each other. Furthermore, timing ... you are running a PTS for an update, in the Easter period. Why not wait until after for such an announcement, so you could actually provide clarity in due time, instead of letting us hang.

By now, there have been many logical arguments against a wipe (aside the list of promises made or hinted at by NQ) to be found in this thread (ranging from technological reasons to commercial implications). There is no point in repeating all of them.

I think the most notable one is that there will remain a need for a continuously leveled playing field in the future, not solved by a wipe. Thus, a wipe without the required changes for equalizing things doesn't make sense, and when these changes are in place they invalidate the need for a wipe. This is pure logic. However, people don't always follow logic, and thus even under these changes NQ might need to convince new players with the prospect of a fresh start. What can I say, they run a business.

But, NQ, note that for this equalizing, in society, we have tax systems, like a non-linear tax on capital and income. If in DU linked to the daily income system, this would effectively level the playing field. This leveled playing field is also why in society we guide our economy's inflation, to give active people an advantage over non-actives, to give newer players an advantage over older ones, to devaluate capital that goes unused. And thus, to renew the economy continuously. Add to that degradation of property and maintenance (by reducing your HP counters over time), and what you get is a real economy that can be tuned through taxes and minimum/maximum prices. Recall that with such an approach you wouldn't have needed construct slots either (as I said then). However, by the time people can propose solutions, you have already implemented/developed your solution, which you introduce, and which then can only be weakened or strengthened, based on the community's response. But from which you can no longer pivot.

Note that NQ's approach in this announcement is similar to before (and after some examples of the kind can only be concluded to be intentional too), with construct slots the most recent example. They make a statement which is infuriating to some and then revert it back a bit so that people feel acknowledged, reaching an end-point which would not have been accepted otherwise. It is NQ's one-sided bargaining with the community. Or rather (emotionally) manipulating the community. And that's abusive to those that don't see the manipulation, and insulting to those that can.

At the very least by it, we feel agitated, deceived, manipulated, stopped playing, or quit the game to convince you, NQ, that you shouldn't take us for granted and treat us like this. People that have been with you for a long long time, have promoted you, and have walked the path you have taken us through highs and lows. People that are mostly silent. People that understand compromise, that things change, and above all that want this game to grow. People that only ask for openness, clarity, and a bit of respect for their time and money.

I know, none of us individually matter. Whatever I do as a consequence of whatever decision NQ takes, it won't be felt nor by NQ nor the community. So, I'm not gonna give an ultimatum, nor be angry, or try a tactic to have you don't wipe. I will not try to move the public opinion in any way. I think I'm in a state that is much worse .. I don't care anymore. My relation with you NQ has changed, and it won't be fixed easily. I don't trust you anymore. You had once this resolution that you would stick your ground, that you would live your vision, which made me feel safe to invest my limited time in, for which I would have compromised a lot. But Yama said it: this has turned into an abusive relationship; and the best thing you can do in that case is cut your losses and live with the hurt. TBH, NQ, you have just turned from the company I am a customer of (and do business with), into my dealer: I have a hard time trusting you, but you sell me something I like too much to give up on yet.

To NQ. Thank you. I'm grateful although it might not have sounded that way. The visionaries, the developers, and community managers alike. I'm convinced you want the best too. So, let's see what you do.

To NQ. I challenge you (if you dare) along with the entire community to solve The Metacomplex (vr) puzzle.
No one ever has, I think no one can (without cheating), and when wiped, likely no one ever will.

Idk why everyone is so upset over alts. It helps pay the devs salary at the end. Just build a stronger org and let hem waste their money....... 

Cry about something that's actually broken for once ffs. 

Ok, I care about this enough to put my 2 cents in.

I am fully against a wipe. 

The main reason I started playing was because of the mentions/promises that the server will never be fully wiped again. 

I guess I consider myself a relatively new player.  I started playing around September 2022, and played for about a month, enjoyed it but got busy.  Then started playing again 2 months ago. Maybe I'm too new to see the issues but I do find the game pretty damn good, so I don't see an issue between the new players and old players as been suggested. How was this considered an issue?

Infact.. Its the experienced players and their builds have keep me very interested.  Nothing I love more than exploring the ground seeing what kinds of builds people have done, getting inspiration, etc. 

This isn't a competitive game (unless you go beyond the pvp zone), its a cooperative game.

If your trying to get new players in, then focus on what makes it difficult for them to get started. Heres a list of things my friends and myself struggled with .

Complexity

The game has depth and with that depth, there's a lot more complexity. It took at least two weeks before we started understanding how to play the game. My friends and I are pretty stubborn so we stuck with it, but if a player cant get a hang of the UI within a few hours and get a good grasp of how to do things, they will give up quickly.  This game really is immensely complex with the things it does which will scare away the majority of the players. Simplifying it will do more in attracting new players than doing a server wipe. 

Resources

Quite frankly, if it wasn't for the player markets, we would of given up. Starting up, it took a hell of a lot to figure out how to produce things. In the end, we just started selling ores and bought the things from the market. This goes back to the complexity statement.

PVP

This is a negative actually. Games great, its good the pvp is enabled, BUT mining for high tier ores is can be difficult with the piracy. Its fair and reasonable. Good stuff is in the pvp zone, but you will be found 80% of the time if you go asteroid hunting for good ores. 

Now lets talk about exploits. 

I cant say I know much about this, but I'm guessing it was some sort of extreme and easy way to get resources and items really quickly and easily, flooding the market, bringing in excessive amounts of money etc. 

Just a thought, how does a real economy work for a country? They  certainly don't raze it to the ground and start again if it gets out of control. 

Its a slow solution to fix it, but it certainly is fixable in time. Increasing in game taxes, temporarily reducing outputs, etc can help bring that in line. But like I said before. I'd like to point out I'm pretty sure those exploits, which I haven't directly taken advantage of (Its more like been from a player of a player of a player kind of thing), has gotten me more engaged into the game faster.

So here's the question I will throw out there,.

How did you come to the conclusion that the older community is the reason to why new members aren't interested? Seriously. Its the complexity thats more of an issue than anything.

Note, i'd be pretty peeved as well if a wipe did occur. As I said. The promise of never doing a full wipe again was the main reason I started playing. Breaking that promise is breaking that trust. Even if DU said they would never reset again after this one I could never believe it. There's a very good chance I probably wouldn't play again and probably seek a refund. 

In terms of a partial wipe.

- Keep Talents 

- Keep Blueprints/ships/etc

- Kind reserve of credits/space/atmo/rocket fuel to help get started again.

- Starting items for basic industry to alleviate the initial grind

Id be more receptive of that admittedly 

Edited by Raider00321

4 hours ago, Msoul said:

This thread has plenty of personal opinions already and for the most part its what you would expect. The rich want to keep their riches and the poor want a wipe. I would prefer to see a more detailed analysis of how a wipe/no-wipe would impact the future of DU. This is ultimately what NQ is concerned about and by tailoring feedback accordingly, it will have more impact.

Wipe Considerations:

1. Lets NQ easily remove schematics and other features that were deemed unpopular.
  2. Lets NQ easily correct for wealth gained from bugs and exploits.
  3. Lets NQ easily implement the intended planet revamp.
  4. Puts both new and old players on equal footing (the added talent wipe option)
  5. Gives old players access to the new FTUE and Haven

Technically speaking some of these could be accomplished without wiping but would cost a lot of dev power. Which if any, are the most important for DU's future and why?

Also I see that many of you feel that 2 is a non-issue but honestly other than NQ, none of us know that for a fact. For all we know there is a player out there with enough funds/assets to buy several planets and live off new player's calibrations or completely monopolize future content. If you were a game dev, how do you deal with that fairly and how do you prevent this issue from creeping up again in the future? Does DU need some kind of progressive tax system? What other solutions can you think of?

All that is well and good but you are not looking at the cons side of this. It is not just the Rich trying to stay richer. There is content that is currently built by players in the game that is completely unreproducible even with magic blueprints. The game does not benefit from being empty at launch. I promise you this. 

1 hour ago, Overstimuloredom said:

Yes then the oweness is on the user to prove why they are in the same lan, on a vpn whatever. False-positive = delete

There's no plausible way to do that.

What "proof" could you possibly present...and who is checking this proof? Anyone on a dynamic IP is just SOL? And if you move and switch IPs or switch computers, I guess you have to resubmit proof to NQ's massive team of reviewers? 

It's just not technically feasible to ban mutli-boxers without immense collateral damage -- it's one of those things that can't be solved through technology and the effort required to do so would make it unplayable for too many to be worthwhile. 

The only way to mitigate bad exploitive behaviors that come from alt hordes is to design the game to minimize the scale/imapct of such exploits.

8 hours ago, Sycopata said:

Sounds really flawed to go buy a item and back to your base each time a new player figure what he need. We still desconected from new player experience, and how this affect new player retention.

Erm... This is DU in a nutshell, or do you have everything at your base? I certainly don't! You don't want to know how many trips I made to my outer planets base(s) just to get everything there I needed before building stuff there that was more efficient to build there (instead of hauling from the safezone. Even as a new player (back when beta started), I had to buy stuff I didn't have enough of or wasn't mineable on Sanctuary (T3+ stuff). And going to market was a thing, you brought stuff to sell and spend your quanta on stuff you wanted.

These days you have way more options as a new player to do or get stuff, the limitation is Schematics when you go beyond backpack production.

23 minutes ago, DecoyGoatBomb said:

All that is well and good but you are not looking at the cons side of this. It is not just the Rich trying to stay richer. There is content that is currently built by players in the game that is completely unreproducible even with magic blueprints. The game does not benefit from being empty at launch. I promise you this. 

And rich staying rich is also a very simplistic view. I suspect that most of large orgs (rich) have plans that will make them even richer in the long run after a wipe.

The combination of a wipe, knowing the optimal solution beforehand and having the man-power to execute quickly is a killer combination for large orgs, giving them opportunities that no solo or small org can ever dream off.

And it also serves to highlight how a wipe does not really solve any of the problems that NQ and some players claim a wipe will solve.

6 minutes ago, CptLoRes said:

And it also serves to highlight how a wipe does not really solve any of the problems that NQ and some players claim a wipe will solve.

To be fair, NQ never claimed they were wiping to solve inequality, they were solving issues they never fixed during beta. Like people exploiting bugs and not rolling those exploits back. Making systems (like missioning, automining, etc.) not 'balanced' with the rest of the game, slow an half-baked fixes, then again waiting months to do anything about it and then 'fixing' it with a wipe...

I don't think that wipe has any game-play related reasons such as inequality.

It is also possible that it is wery difficult to fix known issues without a wipe.

Many are saying that problems must be solved and issues fixed before wipe. 

How ever it may be that technically wipe is necessary part of those upcoming fixes.

34 minutes ago, Cergorach said:

To be fair, NQ never claimed they were wiping to solve inequality, they were solving issues they never fixed during beta. Like people exploiting bugs and not rolling those exploits back. Making systems (like missioning, automining, etc.) not 'balanced' with the rest of the game, slow an half-baked fixes, then again waiting months to do anything about it and then 'fixing' it with a wipe...

And those things are now suddenly balanced in the game? ha!

And there is also the small detail that inequality is baked in as a core part of this game, with the linear time based progression for talent making it so that new player can never catch up to veteran players until they are both maxed out.

This thread has already become so long that NQ won't read it...and if they do, the takeaway will probably be that it doesn't much matter because "some love the idea, some hate it". 

They'll see whatever they want to see in this thread if/when they skim through it. 

They should rip this bandaid off one way or the other and move on, because there's many more important things.

I don't get why NQ thinks they have unlimited time to make these sort of simple choices -- it's like they think that release is so far away that they have plenty of time to [filtered] around with making more changes...when in any sane studio they'd be in "feature lock" and focusing on UI/UX, improving FTUE, fixing bugs, and making sure everything is scalable/performant. 

NQ has learned next to nothing from this whole beta experience and it shows. 

3 hours ago, Overstimuloredom said:

-A no tolerance policy for alt-muling, every account needs to have entered a distinct payment info, distinct static IP, distinct client, all other magic-blueprints will be invalidated. Observe these indicators in the month leading up to the wipe, warn everybody who is not conform, in case of non-conformity the oweness is up to the user to prove why two accounts would share payment info/static-ip/client. (HELLO CEO MAN YOU ARE LOOKING AT A VALID REASON TO MAKE EVERYBODY PAY OUT OF POCKET FOR THEIR FIRST MONTH OF SUBSCRIPTION) (HELLO COMMUNITY LOOK HOW I NIPPED MOST OF THE SANCTUARY LANDRUSH IN THE BUTT)

Other games have implemented limits on cash transfers, like once every 15 minutes per player.  Would that slow down alts here?

I guess it could hinder them to some degree but I doubt it's sufficient. Also with what I proposed, people can still contact NQ and brazenly lie about being related and living in the same house, maybe send in a pic of their spouse or sibling or whatever. And I'm assuming there is methods to hide behind debits card, or crypto wallets or what have you.

But we really shouldn't suppose an army of malicious types ready to jump every hurdle to give themselves an advantage because when could you ever be paranoid enough then? I think realistically we are talking about 50-200 individuals willing to go through extreme lenghts, and I really believe they can sniffed out server-side, or will finish by betraying themselves, or can be ratted on by other players. Have indicators, make them lead you to people of interest you look more closely at. Just stay firm à la: "we see what you are doing, stop now or suffer the consequences".

Final thoughts before I sit back and await sentencing. 
If there’s one consensus among all these comments it’s that a decision needs to happen and be explained soon. 
first of all, to all the new players wanting a wipe cause you just got here; I’ve heard your arguments and they’re all laughable. That being said there are reasons for a wipe that have nothing to do with the new player experience. Besides, new players will always be behind. What’s needed is more new player bonuses and higher rewards for completing challenges/achievements  etc… so, the real problem is the accounts that have exploited the game.

this should be easy to fix as there is a total number of talent points that any person could possibly have. Anyone with over that number should have it changed.
super billionaires: I don’t know what the fix is here 🤷‍♂️ I’m fine starting with a few mil but others are wanting a percentage of their 50bil. I don’t see how that will work… maybe compensate them with a free alt or free months. Maybe freez it for 3-6 months. No good ideas there. 
I think most people are just worried about losing their creations that they’ve spent years building. And there’s little point to just delete it forever. So give people their personally created BPs and drm free BPs and I think we’ll survive.

one caveat to that point are the places like space port, utopia station, the mega builds… They should be saved somehow. They’re a service to the game and the people who run them aren’t out to become trillionaires they run them for the players! Why do new people want this wiped!?!? We waited a long time for these places to open! You’re not thinking clearly! You’ll wait too for no reason… even if NQ has to do it on their end it should at the very lease be considered. 

until a decision is made ✌🏽 

3 minutes ago, Overstimuloredom said:

I guess it could hinder them to some degree but I doubt it's sufficient. Also with what I proposed, people can still contact NQ and brazenly lie about being related and living in the same house, maybe send in a pic of their spouse or sibling or whatever. And I'm assuming there is methods to hide behind debits card, or crypto wallets or what have you.

But we really shouldn't suppose an army of malicious types ready to jump every hurdle to give themselves an advantage because when could you ever be paranoid enough then? I think realistically we are talking about 50-200 individuals willing to go through extreme lenghts, and I really believe they can sniffed out server-side, or will finish by betraying themselves, or can be ratted on by other players. Have indicators, make them lead you to people of interest you look more closely at. Just stay firm à la: "we see what you are doing, stop now or suffer the consequences".

Static ip requirement really isn’t an option. I’ve had to have one before and it cost me a ton of money. Now it’s not even an option for me. I have starlink…

but everything else you said I liked. 

Oh and just a little anecdote: I play this mod project diablo 2 and this tiny dev team on their super old game that has seen loads of cheating software over the years... they have an iron fist over their servers. If you wanna play in LAN you ask nicely and they whitelist you for a day or a weekend.

This sort of thing is not a unicorn, but it takes work, human work.