SHEDDING LIGHT ON A NOVAQUARK INTERNAL DISCUSSION - discussion thread

NQ-Wanderer

Getting rid of schematics sounds like a bad idea. I do not see how you can have market for items when you can flood them so easy with no schematics. As a solo player i have a factory with a very rough estimate of 5-10 billion in schematics without using any exploits.

I think you could do some alternative ways to craft things. For example, you could add in lesser schematics that cost much less but use 3-4 times more mats to craft their item. This would keep normal schematics the only to profit off the market but would pretty much cap the profits people can make to 3-4 times the ore cost.

5 minutes ago, AdmiralYolomoto said:

Just want to remind to everyone that any game's value is an entertainment you have why you play the game. I did something - you got entertained, you achieved something - you entertained. Wipe does not change that entertainment gain.

For any normal game, the game loop should be entertaining on it's own. But for a lot of us, this game is a building game where we expect persistence. The game loops in the game are actually quickly boring and don't let up. It's just not only the building that can be frustrating (lack of proper tools/options), but grinding the resources/quanta is such a bother! The satisfaction comes when you've finish that project and set the goals to the next. Part of that satisfaction is that what you did is now there and can be used. Be it a ship, a base, factory, landing-pad, space station, the materials for 100M in space fuel, infrastructure, etc. I of course can choose to break it down again, to do something else, abandon it, blow it up in pvp, etc. But that is my choice/risk to make/take...

If NQ would have said that they would wipe at launch, I wouldn't be playing DU and paying NQ for the privilage. If NQ says, we'll do it in two years (again), I won't continue to play. Many wouldn't.

I would be up for a wipe that resets planets, however after experiencing losing a number of my construct blueprints, of my early creations after a pod bug, I don't like the idea of having to create some of my constructs completely from scratch, so I would be behind some way to return them back into a possible post wiped Dual Universe. There are also some amazing player made creations in the universe that I would be sad to see disappear completely.

I can see that having all the talent points I have now would place too higher a differential between older players and new entrants, however I also feel there should be some way of  reflecting the time and effort members of the community have put in.

Either gaining a higher rate of talent point creation, a starting bonus in the form of percentage of pre-wipe talent points or an amount of skills that could be selected after a wipe would keep me happy. Or perhaps another way of rewarding the time put in.

For me it really comes down to if this is only a test server to be wiped on release, why have the PTS? Should just give us all the stuff on the live server and actually test the hell out of it and make the game better. But it wasn't framed that way. We were sold persistence and the ability to build a world. 

If I knew that all the work I've done under that premise would be deleted, do you really think I would have paid a sub? No, I would have played a game that valued the cash and time spent helping the Devs with bug reporting and testing out this buggy mess.

If you do any type of wipe that removes quanta, talent points, or BPs - then you are guaranteed to lose a whole bunch of the people who supported and helped get this project off of the ground. That is lousy to say the least. We spent a lot of our time toiling away (through *all* of the early beta issues mind you) to earn the assets that we have - under the impression that there would be no wipe (as NQ clearly stated.) It's not our fault that you didn't listen to the very clear feedback about the nonsensical schematic system, so don't (doubly) punish us for it now. 

The people crying about wipes only want an opportunity to hit it rich, like some of those *early supporters* did. If you bend the knee to them, you'll just deal with the same thing at some point in the future. Because there is no stopping the giant disparity between casual and hardcore players. A wealthy elite will always come into existence, no matter what you do. So why punish your earliest supporters just to kick that can down the road?

You made people pay for access to the game - that means you are literally stealing people's money if you decide to reset everything. I know you'll never get another dime from me, and I'd imagine that plenty of us feel the same. The 'full wipe' enthusiasts won't stick around any longer after a wipe than they will now - save for the few that actually get rich. Make sure you take that into account as well. There are other means to attract/incentivize new players without completely destroying the game for the vets. Hopefully this reply doesn't fall on deaf ears, because a full wipe is going to destroy the game.

18 minutes ago, zooloo said:

If you do any type of wipe that removes quanta, talent points, or BPs - then you are guaranteed to lose a whole bunch of the people who supported and helped get this project off of the ground. That is lousy to say the least. We spent a lot of our time toiling away (through *all* of the early beta issues mind you) to earn the assets that we have - under the impression that there would be no wipe (as NQ clearly stated.) It's not our fault that you didn't listen to the very clear feedback about the nonsensical schematic system, so don't (doubly) punish us for it now. 

The people crying about wipes only want an opportunity to hit it rich, like some of those *early supporters* did. If you bend the knee to them, you'll just deal with the same thing at some point in the future. Because there is no stopping the giant disparity between casual and hardcore players. A wealthy elite will always come into existence, no matter what you do. So why punish your earliest supporters just to kick that can down the road?

You made people pay for access to the game - that means you are literally stealing people's money if you decide to reset everything. I know you'll never get another dime from me, and I'd imagine that plenty of us feel the same. The 'full wipe' enthusiasts won't stick around any longer after a wipe than they will now - save for the few that actually get rich. Make sure you take that into account as well. There are other means to attract/incentivize new players without completely destroying the game for the vets. Hopefully this reply doesn't fall on deaf ears, because a full wipe is going to destroy the game.

They will gain/lose people regardless of their decision.  They should do a poll here to see what the community wants.

2 hours ago, Doombad said:

Hey Brandon. The purpose of this thread is to discuss pros/cons. You don’t have to participate if doing so is beyond your capacity to think.

ah yes, the insults start lol.  people can't help themselves it seems

If the game released today I would not sub. A wipe is needed to fix fundamental flaws in the game.  But that’s going to kill of what little community the game still has. And the committed players are often limping on the sunk cost fallacy.

The game still does not have any good gameplay loops to actually attract players.  And it needs to be able to attract players before even considering a reset.

The game still needs solid development to entice new players to join.

The best gameplay loop at the moment in my opinion is mining.  Which is amazing considering there is very little content there. 

The building is ok but there are serious restrictions on players now given volume and construct constraints.

PvP basically has no incentives.

Trading is insignificant and not impactful.

Missions are hour(s) long snooze fests except for player-created missions.

For the game to be successful.  Each area of the game should be enticing enough for a person to want to try the game.  And then serious consideration could actually be given to a reset

37 minutes ago, Waffle Boy said:

They will gain/lose people regardless of their decision.  They should do a poll here to see what the community wants.

While that’s true, a wipe leading to an exodus of players who have stuck with the game becomes a gamble assuming they get replacement players equal or more than what they lose with the same dedication.

23 minutes ago, Yobowl said:

If the game released today I would not sub. A wipe is needed to fix fundamental flaws in the game.  But that’s going to kill of what little community the game still has. And the committed players are often limping on the sunk cost fallacy.

The game still does not have any good gameplay loops to actually attract players.  And it needs to be able to attract players before even considering a reset.

The game still needs solid development to entice new players to join.

The best gameplay loop at the moment in my opinion is mining.  Which is amazing considering there is very little content there. 

The building is ok but there are serious restrictions on players now given volume and construct constraints.

PvP basically has no incentives.

Trading is insignificant and not impactful.

Missions are hour(s) long snooze fests except for player-created missions.

For the game to be successful.  Each area of the game should be enticing enough for a person to want to try the game.  And then serious consideration could actually be given to a reset

How does a wipe fix flaws in the game? It resets the world and our characters but does nothing to change the gameplay. 

39 minutes ago, Waffle Boy said:

I think only the older player base (which is dying off already) hate schematics.  Since the mission update most people don't mind them, especially the newer players.  I say keep schematics but maybe let everyone do tier 1 stuff without them.

I never really understood the schematic hysteria but accept it as how many people feel about it. The introduction was terrible -  that is just NQ - but a gate was/is needed for the factory gameplay. 

I like the idea where T1 should not need schematics.

Edited by Doombad

2 hours ago, AdmiralYolomoto said:

Just want to remind to everyone that any game's value is an entertainment you have while you play the game. You did something - you got entertained, you achieved something - you entertained. Wipe does not change that entertainment gain.

The idea that I should just be happy I was able to play the game and "Was Entertained" sounds ridiculous. 

16 minutes ago, Doombad said:

How does a wipe fix flaws in the game? It resets the world and our characters but does nothing to change the gameplay. 

It can allow for resource resets, changing locations, restructuring NQ statics, bugs from existing constructs, bugged blueprints, tiles held by inactive players, manufacturing changes, I’m sure I could think of more…

And a wipe is pointless without gameplay change.  I agree.  But I do think the game would benefit from a fresh start once there is interesting and refined gameplay loops

Just now, Yobowl said:

And a wipe is pointless without gameplay change.  I agree.  But I do think the game would benefit from a fresh start once there is interesting and refined gameplay loops

I agree that the game isn't ready for release, but that ship has sailed. It's been 8 years in the making...it's done.

Athena was the last major update. People have been waiting around for a "big update" that brings actual gameplay depth for years. It isn't going to happen. They don't know how to make it happen, and if they did...they couldn't do it in the time they have left. 

Even if they don't actually release for another year, they don't have time.

They have a bottomless pit of tech debt to settle in terms of polish, bugs, and stability to be ready for a real release...things that will make a much bigger dent to new player retention than fresh servers. 

They should have settled this months ago...their inability to make a simple decision is "shedding light" on NQ's management and maybe explains why nothing has fundamentally changed with this game for years. 

Just now, blundertwink said:

They should have settled this months ago...their inability to make a simple decision is "shedding light" on NQ's management and maybe explains why nothing has fundamentally changed with this game for years. 

Just in Beta they've had 3 different CEO's. That might also help shed some light on the managment struggles they've had.

The poor developers that have lived through that must have some whiplash. feels bad man. DU has so much potential.

5 minutes ago, blundertwink said:

I agree that the game isn't ready for release, but that ship has sailed. It's been 8 years in the making...it's done.

Athena was the last major update. People have been waiting around for a "big update" that brings actual gameplay depth for years. It isn't going to happen. They don't know how to make it happen, and if they did...they couldn't do it in the time they have left. 

Even if they don't actually release for another year, they don't have time.

They have a bottomless pit of tech debt to settle in terms of polish, bugs, and stability to be ready for a real release...things that will make a much bigger dent to new player retention than fresh servers. 

far as I’m concerned the ship sailed once “beta” happened.  The lack of content is a clear indication of where the game is heading.  Sandbox games like this don’t survive without either content or a player base.  And this game has neither.

The only way this game will be successful is NQ is smart enough to sell it to a actual game developing company or just go bankrupt and sell the game. Lets face it NQ has shown the world what not to do when it come to developing a game. Do what ever you like because we all know you will.  

42 minutes ago, MelTuc said:

The idea that I should just be happy I was able to play the game and "Was Entertained" sounds ridiculous. 

The idea is that you play to have fun, not because you had fun. If you no longer have fun from a game you should not play it. Playing a game is a process, during which you are entertained. The wipe does not change the process.

Edited by AdmiralYolomoto

7 hours ago, MelTuc said:

Clearly you have not been playing the game long if you think I will accept 5 Million Skill Points compared to the amount I have accumulated over the past 2 years that not even a drop in the bucket. This sounds ridiculous and totally unacceptable.

Yes I started about 4 months after Beta release so most someone could have is about  16 million more talent points than I have so I have been on game a while too . When I went out to Sanct I pile drived my pocket speeder into the ground 450 meters in route to territory beside friend ,on a game crash, that got me into game they still play just not as much . Back when you use to get damage from running into trees . Also had pve element damage shortly there .  So I know how it is .

Just there has been so many exploits and abuses went on and no punishment or taking back of profits. The game also can not survive on the player base it has now . If I were new to the game and found out no wipe  and people abused system to get where they are today I would not give the game another thought , and like most I would not play as new player . Sure my character, I just have  one , is worth billions and the time I spent  on is a lot but it would not be fair to new incoming players and they would not show up and pay to be that far behind.

So as I stated either total wipe is good or two complete separate one legacy and one fresh server is the only way to go .

Also I got 58,807,100 talent points I did a lot into mining and industry .

Edited by Evoson

35 minutes ago, Evoson said:

I got 58,807,100 talent points I did a lot into mining and industry .

Understood, and I can respect that I was just thinking to get back to 60+ million in talent points start over again means I will not be where I am today unit what 2024 lol 2 years is 2 years so starting over means 2024 before I am as talented as I am now and I still haven't even touch allot of the other skill trees.