SHEDDING LIGHT ON A NOVAQUARK INTERNAL DISCUSSION - discussion thread

NQ-Wanderer

Honestly I find it very insulting that DU is currently showing all of these commercials of constructs on Youtube and on the other hand is planning to remove them.  Your advertising a game that will not exist,  your going to remove the content. 

7 hours ago, blazemonger said:

BTW NQ, this post really is not shedding light, it is mostly just fanning the flames of debate, confusion, argument and uncertainty for some who still want to cling to their hopes of a no wipe..

Looks like they want the community to burn out over this issue.

Please do not do a complete wipe.

If you do a complete wipe, you remove everything I have built since during Alpha and there is no way I will be willing to start again from scratch so you will completely lose me and my other 2 beta key accounts.

If you leave everything on Sanctuary and Alioth as it is then you won't wipe out anything I still have left and I will probably keep my 3 accounts going after the game is released.

I have contracted everything back to Sanctuary and one single tile on Alioth so provided all my current tiles are not affected by a wipe then I will stay.

If you are planning to wipe Alioth, please give me enough warning so that I can retrieve all my stuff.

Please do not wipe Sanctuary.

8 hours ago, MelTuc said:

I do not like the wait the option is presented, clearly NQ is using the "Remove Schematics" as the bait or carrot at the end of the stick, my question is simple why make us go threw the drill of reducing construction and limiting orgs and such, why make us go threw the drill of buying Schematics, why make us go threw the drill of terrain reset and the list goes on and on. Why did you decide to turn your early backers and supports into unpaid testers, better yet Testers that have to pay NQ to test your game. 

So my choices are loose everything Talents, Constructs, Quanta so a new player can do WHAT. Play the game like I did, no the can not I played for 2 years, so a new player should never be able to walk in the door and be equal to me simple because you "Release The Game". 

Did the NEW PLAYER pay you for 10 accounts for 2 years at 9.99 a month NO

Did the NEW PLAYER  have to learn how to use Schematics and now UNLEARN how to use Schematics NO

Did the NEW PLAYER spend hours DIGGING their base out of the dirt after a Terrian reset NO

Did the NEW PLAYER have to play with and countless Towers, Game Errors and Bugs and still played the game NO

Why the hell  Do you OWE this NEW PALYER anything when in fact YOU NQ owe US those that are here NOW, those that Play NOW, those that paid you NOW those that will come back when you screw us ONCE AGAIN for a pipe dream of the Magical NEW PLAYER that you cant seem to get to come to the game now but for some reason they will at RELEASE. So you Lied about Sancturary to I guess that the next statement that I am waiting to hear. Remember the lie Sanctuary will never be wipe and will always be save.

And for the record, you have no idea who, what or HOW MANY ....NEW PLAYERs you are going to get if any. If so Where are they NOW...

my group comes back after wipe we quit due to the extreme amounts of exploits creating a unfair advantage. others i have spoken with are also coming back with a wipe one of those groups has close to 150 people.

A few rich players in the economy will have absolutely no impact on the experience of new players, just as they have no impact on most players right now.

If this was a competitive game, where most players engaged in pvp regularly, and there was some sort of win-condition that players really wanted to achieve, then it would make sense to wipe so that everyone was on a level field. In fact you would want to wipe regularly after each season so that nobody ever got too far ahead.

But that's not the kind of game you've created. You've created a game where most players focus on grinding and creativity. Your wipe will hurt those players, to improve the competitive scene that doesn't exist.

2 minutes ago, nosfire said:

my group comes back after wipe we quit due to the extreme amounts of exploits creating a unfair advantage. others i have spoken with are also coming back with a wipe one of those groups has close to 150 people.

But how long will you stay when you realize that nothing has really changed, that the dedicated geniuses still outperform you by a mile. And that others, will also see opportunities your group won't or will just outspend you in RL with accounts and computers...

Anyone complaining about 'an unfair advantage' doesn't get how an MMO sandbox works... There's always a bunch of people that have advantages you do not have, making them by definition unfair. Get over it! I prefer a ton of extra players, but I hate basing bad decisions on people that will quit after a month...

You should just make a poll and see what people want.  People are going to rage at whatever so we should see what gets the least amount of it.

Personally I think we should just have a full wipe (constructs/talents/quanta/schematics) minus the blueprints.  No magical blueprints either

Currently I've amassed a shit ton in wealth.  A wipe will get rid of all of that but I don't really care because I know I'll be right back to where I am now.  But it'll be fun to build up again.  I don't build pretty ships either or anything like that so building stuff doesn't matter much to me.

I'm not so sure about the schematic removal.  The introduction of the missions made it so people can get quanta much easier and purchase schematics.  Even with the new mission system you guys proposed, people can still amass high amounts of quanta and therefore buy schematics.  Maybe just remove the tier 1 schematics?

I loved my debut in DU I found it funny to have to pick up stones and go sell them with a speeder scraping the ground.
But what we have already done once, we do not want to do again. And I won't find it fun to do it again. For me it will be a nightmare.

I've been in the game for about 18 months ... when I started I met other players with big ships that made me dream and therefore move forward. 
But I was not jealous, nor envious of those already present before me!!!

When I arrived on Alioth I installed myself ready for Alioth 13 because there was no place next to D6 and then D6 was nothing for me and yet I did not miss anything on the contrary there I had plenty of meganodes and not too much competition.
I waited then one day I had my D6 ready tile because I was smart and patient. Because above all it allowed me to develop a larger factory. 
But I was not jealous, nor envious of those already present before me !!! with their great construction ... 

All this to tell you that wipe is not a good idea. No one wiped the world when you were born. You have made with this world. New players will too and we will have to help and welcome them, strangely we already do. Tell me if I'm wrong? 
With 3 billion quanta or a hundred million it's the same why limit myself? fairer why? because I had to adapt (not without complaining) to a free world where we craft everything without paying in a trade world (which made my fortune) parts that I didn't even make?
Isn't it just because I spent hundreds of hours mining meganodes? Isn't it just because I've been paying my subscription for 18 months?

So as we come back to earth with the subscription, I only have one life and it's too short to do things twice! I did not want to redo DU from the beginning because it will be without pleasure without discovery to try to regain what was taken from me so for me any form of wipe will be equivalent to canceling my subscription.
This why? to hide a lack of renewal in the game? And after, the new ones who will arrive, those according to the old new players, what do we do ?we wipe the wipe in a loop?

Why remove schematics? they are expensive so it takes playtime for the acquirers. This is the basis of MMOs "the  long time"!! maybe simplify them (an object = a schematic)... And still it's not an idea because already adults can't understand that selling your ore is more profitable than selling manufactured items for less expensive than the ore in it.
Why remove broke  from elements? It was enough to place sanctuary and the markets in a non-collision zone and to drop the wreckage so that the less fortunate had solutions by recovering parts. But no, get out! because putting this in place when all the markets were lagging and skills were crashing was crashing our ships. So we grumbled
why limit the number of cores which prevents the collection of ships? and so made the game work! It was enough to modify the Blueprint to spawn the chips in limited numbers on a platform of the player's tile as if he were taking his ship out of a garage and storing it (blueprint with the material) to take out another one from his collection. .. But no it is better to lose players !!!
What could be better than a collection of ships to increase the interest of a game, trade, construction, exchange, manufacture of parts...!!! Possession of items a good way to retain players.

Just a succession of bad choices that you at Novaquark have made !!!

A Wipe will not weaken large organizations and you know it. They will "speedrun" the game and finally resume their place as before and all this will have been for nothing.

Eventually even the most relentless and passionate players you will manage to make them leave !!! 

NO WAY FOR WIPE !!!! 

Nota : the worst is that you ruin my desire to play! so make up your mind !

Edited by efchaos

5 minutes ago, Novidian Prime said:

This has what to do with industry units and schematics, exactly?

You raise a good point. Removing schematics sounds like something that could be done without wiping. With that said, NQ have clearly analyzed it and determined that it strongly favors a wipe scenario. The exact reasoning for this is unclear but the original post was already quite long so I don't blame them for not diving into the details. My best guess is that it has to do with future plans for industry. Perhaps schematics are being substituted with another feature or maybe their removal would break existing elements.

If its not too much trouble, could someone from the dev team briefly comment on this to help us understand?

10 minutes ago, Cergorach said:

But how long will you stay when you realize that nothing has really changed, that the dedicated geniuses still outperform you by a mile. And that others, will also see opportunities your group won't or will just outspend you in RL with accounts and computers...

Anyone complaining about 'an unfair advantage' doesn't get how an MMO sandbox works... There's always a bunch of people that have advantages you do not have, making them by definition unfair. Get over it! I prefer a ton of extra players, but I hate basing bad decisions on people that will quit after a month...

a ton has changed for the better and we would be playing for the life of the game as long as a wipe occurs. people outperforming is perfectly normal as long as they didn't exploit to gain that advantage. I haven't a clue if you where around day 1 but people had warp engines within the first hour when it was supposed to take years.

EDIT: full wipe AND MAKE SURE ITS KNOWN IF ANYONE EXPLOITS THEY GET PERMABANNED AND ALL ASSETS ARE WIPED

Edited by nosfire

NQ had already made up their mind when the game soft-released into beta with subscriptions, and people have been playing according to the promises made. Which is why a full wipe now means that NQ will lose a lot of player trust and respectability.

Or to quote NQ-Nyzaltar directly:

• Global wipes and wipes in the future on Dual Universe

The wipe for Beta Launch is intended to be the last global wipe. However, there may still be partial wipes or upgrades in the future, as it will be necessary for various reasons to reset some aspects of the game (planets landscapes upgrades and such) during the Beta phase. For future wipes, as much of your assets as possible will be kept between before and after the wipe, in particular constructs will always be preserved, if necessary with special one-time-use blueprints (“Packaged Blueprints”) that do not require ingredients to be in the inventory. 

I don’t see the need to remove schematic, though if you do wipe, it will be easier to recover without them..on an individual basis, dunno about the wider economy.

A partial wipe with blueprints and talent points is the worst I’ll sit for; a full wipe will just take too much. It makes me ill thinking about starting over from scratch, and I don’t have near as much progress to lose as some others. I’d much prefer the mildest wipe you can still get away with, reset the terrain, quanta, how hard would it be to empty all the containers? Or limit the number of any specific element on a territory? Another question I have is related to DRM. Player X who has since quit made this awesome ship, and it’s the only one left in the game, and I own it. Will that BP carry over? Or just the

ones I made? I know any half measure will be harder to implement, and no wipe sounds like it’s off the table, but I think it is worthwhile to work out the complications of a lesser wipe that will prepare the ground for new players without alienating all the players that have filled the world up to this point.

A Game with a steep starting curve like DU will benefit from having structures and an economy quicker, and from having veteran knowledge in hand. I see new players struggle and get help all the time, many of them wouldn’t  stay subbed without the intervention of the existing community. 

6 minutes ago, CptLoRes said:

That is the problem. NQ had already made up their mind when the game soft-released into beta with subscriptions, and people have been playing accordingly to the promises made.

Or to quote NQ-Nyzaltar directly:

global_wipes.JPG

they intended to not be forced to wipe but alot of bad apples in the playerbase forced the issue. dont be angry at nq be angry at those people that utilized exploits. with the new wipe they have to be able to take a strong stance against exploiters permaban and erase ALL ASSETS

Edited by nosfire

13 minutes ago, nosfire said:

they intended to not be forced to wipe but alot of bad apples in the playerbase forced the issue. dont be angry at nq be angry at those people that utilized exploits. with the new wipe they have to be take a strong stance against exploiters permaban and erase ALL ASSETS

First a wipe in this scenario would be attacking the symptom instead of the actual cause, meaning a wipe will fix nothing and the same problem will be back again in no time what so ever, without first fixing the underlying problems.

Secondly a full wipe is like trying to repair a broken tooth at the dentist using an pneumatic hammer drill, when a soft-reset and/or more specific interventions would solve the problem much better.

And third you are now effectively punishing all players for the actions of a few, not a good place to be for a MMO game company in my opinion.

51 minutes ago, nosfire said:

The same people who quit cos they got left behind the first time, will quit again when they're left behind again. 

2 minutes ago, Megabosslord said:

The same people who quit cos they got left behind the first time, will quit again when they're left behind again. 

didnt get left behind people exploited billions of quanta day 1 they shoulda been permabanned and all assets shoulda been deleted

2 minutes ago, Darraven said:

Wipe the talent points and you have 5 paying accounts gone

think they would have to wipe talent points as well hopefully they will put 40m points into everyones pools and give all paid time back

My 2 cents.

A wipe should not even be considered until  NQ has the ability to do a roll back, full roll back at the least, a targeted roll back would be best.

As for BPs, no magic BPs, or only compactable pocket ships in inventory allowed to be magic. BPs with drm should only go to the creators, drm free BP should remain in  inventory .Please give us the ability to create a voxel only BP from a core BP. 

I think we need to be compensated  for our subs in some other way than DACs. NQ needs the cash from subs.

Full wipe would  be good . Just give beta players like 5 million talent points . But the game at release has to be all bugs worked out and all things put in game tested before release . If server is fresh clean slate for  everyone there will be more new players paying accounts than there is currently and currently it is a lot of non paying beta keys .

- Like change how missions are done to make where someone who has like 10 or more accounts can't run all at once

and abuse the system . Two accounts is fine if someone wants to have two . I just have one .

-I think we should still keep schematics for industry machines though Tier  4 and Tier 5 do get it a little out of hand in    

price . Because if not everyone will make everything and there will be no economy and markets will not do good at all.

- Also we need element lives (damage) for pve back to stimulate economy .

Or a way to do good to all is have  a legacy server and a complete fresh release server so many can keep their creations and still have fun .