[Poll] wipe or no wipe

m0rrty

13 hours ago, Endstar said:

I'm against a wipe as no one has given a reason for why or how anything would be different than today 18 months post a wipe.

I will happily support a wipe if there was a reasonable why provided. 

Wipe means more players at the start, which helps attract other players.

Which means there’s a greater chance the game will still exist.

Edited by Shredder

6 hours ago, Shredder said:

And then what after this re-start? Do you think DU has already enough content to keep them playing?

Without Territory Warefare, incomplete economical system, I wont even mention about avatar vs avatar which was set as a one of first year goals.

What is a long term plan to achieve stable population?

Edited by Vilhelm

A wipe makes no sense, other then to give some very ultra competitive players an small edge (in a game you cannot win no less) for maybe a month at most until the game stabilize back to the same old. So by that rationale there would have to be a regular wipe every 3 month or so, to make the game "fair" for new players. Or maybe that is not really what the pro wipe players are actually looking for?

A wipe will not improve the economics, a wipe will not fix missions, a wipe will not make pvp better, a wipe will not bring content to the game and most importantly a wipe will not make this game fun. The only thing a wipe does is remove experienced players who are desperately trying to make a game that is worth playing and content..

And also.. Judging by what NQ says is to be the final patch before release, this game will be far, far from feature complete. So from that perspective a wipe at release makes even less sense, since there will/must be rather large changes made to the game later on like territory war, proper missions, player controlled markets, PVE etc. etc. if there ever is going to be a game worth playing in the long run. So what will be the excuse for a second wipe even after release in a so called persistent MMO where players are paying a subscription for the content?

2 hours ago, Vilhelm said:

And then what after this re-start? Do you think DU has already enough content to keep them playing?

Without Territory Warefare, incomplete economical system, I wont even mention about avatar vs avatar which was set as a one of first year goals.

What is a long term plan to achieve stable population?

I agree that they need to continue to release content at a decent rate post release if they want to maintain the player base. I do think there is enough content to keep people around for 6 months or so.

8 minutes ago, Shredder said:

I agree that they need to continue to release content at a decent rate post release if they want to maintain the player base. I do think there is enough content to keep people around for 6 months or so.

Key word here being decent rate. And when you consider what we have now is the result of almost 8 years of development, and most of that has been left unchanged in a "first draft" state for years. You begin to understand why veteran players are so frustrated with NQ, and hold very little hope for the future of this game.

I.e. 6 months is the time NQ usally needs to change the skybox texture and tweak some parameters in a 3rd party SFX library, not make radical game play improvements.

On 4/13/2022 at 12:36 AM, blazemonger said:

That said, a majority of "no wipe" campers are just making empty threats I am sure and will stay on with the rest of us when the wipe happens.

Why are they empty threats? If 1.5-2 years of progress and subscriptions goes POOF!(tm), why would folks that find that problematic start over from scratch? Especially if that is just the last straw for many of us. How many of those that already left over the last year and a half do you think will come back if there's a wipe? I suspect very few.

Look, I understand the whole mining wipe that happened (something is being removed and added), the scans wipe was a bit iffy though. But a complete wipe-wipe... That is just... Unacceptable and, at least for me, totally destroys ANY credibility NQ had left. NQ without any credibility (for me and others) sets the whole future of persistence for DU on loose screws and that makes it unplayable for me. A wipe-wipe is DU in a failed state (for me), maybe even worse then closing down the servers due to NQ insolvency...

It's not as if there aren't other sci-fi games that will scratch a similar itch (nothing is like DU), but if it's playing DU with so much frustration and disappointment (not to mention spending money on subscriptions) vs. playing another, similar game, the question quickly becomes mood for me...

11 minutes ago, Cergorach said:

I can understand why someone might think that, but do you have any evidence that this is the case? Some examples from other MMOs?

Also please understand that wiping a persistent building MMO like DU, is VERY different from a normal beta->release transition wipe in a regular MMO with traditional mechanics.

So any numbers showing that lots of people join at release in some other game that wiped. Will be skewed by the fact that most "other" games are wiped by default, simply because they have a completely different structure where that makes sense.

And I am playing DU because of this, since DU is not like all the other MMO's (at least not when it was sold to us in the beginning).

the results are already in the first post, as NQ has shared their discussions, and we basically have their idea.

The result of poll: the interesting tendency is that, the more guys rich, the higher chance their desire to wipe this all. Interesting, don't you think?

42 minutes ago, Bobbie said:

Remove the sign-in requirement.,

If you're afraid of being connected to your vote then might want to think about what the real issue is! I you truly believe in something you wouldn't be afraid to stand behind it! 

53 minutes ago, Bobbie said:

Remove the sign-in requirement.,

If I'd collect email addresses, the Google poll would inform you about this action. The sign-in is needed is got 1 google-account = 1 vote.

5 minutes ago, Bobbie said:

Not everyone has a google account, or would want to create one just for this.

oh, tell this to every service out there, who demand us to have a phone number and email address.

6 minutes ago, Bobbie said:

Personally I don't care to vote because

Okay, the door is there. I've collected results for few days as, I wanted, so thank you for your post, bye.

Game would benefit from a wipe.  However, the existing and committed player base will leave.

They would have to start from scratch to attract players.

Frankly, there are no gameplay loops here to attract players.  

Crafting is not necessary because only a few individuals can supply the community easily.

PvP is kind of a joke with no goals or reasons to fight.

Trading is a joke and doesn’t have any significant presence or impact.

Mining is at an ok spot I think.  Could use variation to spice up miner’s lives.

Building is horribly limited given what the game is capable of, and there is no incentive to build nice static structures for the average player.  And dynamic ships are very difficult to make not look like crap. Deterring new players

while I believe wipes are the best way to address fundamental issues with a persistent game, doing so will kill this game. Simply because there is nothing to attract players.  This game’s community in a lot of ways is limping on with the sunk cost fallacy.

The game still needs actual game development at this point.  A wipe can come later

I am against a wipe.

Since the beta soft launch, there should be no wipe in this regard and players pay their subscriptions to build a society. Just that society that is meant for new players to be able to use it. So why should we wantonly destroy all this? There is no real sense from it or a need to justify changes through a wipe. Some things can be solved in other ways.

I assume that there will be a wipe anyway, apparently it is already fixed and the question would be what kind of wipe. So, there you just have to say, you take the one that is fairest so that none is favored. So a complete wipe without any exceptions, anything else would be unfair in some way, because you could conclude advantages. No matter if advantages by skills, by quanta, by time,...if a wipe should be fair, then a complete wipe.

Nevertheless: I am against a wipe, because it is not necessary.

The planets need a wipe
This game officially called  in beta stage, is in reality still in alpha stage

Planets are same since 5years ago, fast designed placeholders that have been worked on for years but never replaced

We have experiences in pre alpha and alpha stages dozen of wipes, and there were different goals for those wipes and solutions given for better transitions

The best solutions that was adopted once was that we were given magic blueprints, tokens of our previous constructs that we could spawn at no cost after the wipe
this is something players should fight for, aswell as keeping our quantas and talent points

But planets MUST be wiped and replaced with new one
As a reminder an old dev blog:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAqa-miWhxg&t=92s

Edited by Jeronimo

Wipe or no wipe, just decide it fast, we need drive projects, and we need know were this projects point. The actual situation cant stay for long. Stay in this whipe/no whipe situation , are negarive for the game and players.

On 4/15/2022 at 11:18 AM, Bobbie said:

Personally I don't care to vote because I actually stopped caring what happens with DU some time ago. I'd vote just so I can see the results, call it morbid curiosity.

Or, you know, suit yourself.

Hilarious that "dont care" but still invest the time in spouting off about posts that mean nothing to you. Thats says a lot about the value of your opinion!!

On 4/16/2022 at 10:50 AM, Jeronimo said:

But planets MUST be wiped and replaced with new one
As a reminder an old dev blog:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAqa-miWhxg&t=92s

I see no reason to wipe planets in the video.
please enlighten us.

Even if you had to delete the constructs on the planets, you could simply move them into space and rebuild them later.

Ships on planets are simply flown into space.

What exactly is to be changed on the planets? They still look quite empty and dead, there is no beautiful and atmospheric landscaping, it looks more like boring terrainset.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/14/2022 at 1:21 AM, Shredder said:

This reason fails 18 months post a wipe. Attracting other players a year after release is different than new player starting now how?