DEVBLOG: NEW FTUE IN ATHENA - discussion thread

NQ-Wanderer

10 hours ago, JayleBreak said:

You should introduce players to the flashlight early on. If they land on a spot at night, or use the VR station to a location at night Its hard to see.

Also, its nice to emphasise the loss of inventory on death or exiting VR, but you should qualify it by excluding Tools and Data Files (types in the drop down).

The final step of clicking on the POA Manager screen won't work if a tool is selected, which is likely the case if the last action was to fuel up your speeder. And that will be frustrating to someone who hasn't experienced it a thousand times :)

I thought the same thing re flashlight, but to be fair most first person games have flashlights and the activation button is always L so I hardly think people need a prompt.

Hey, played PTS for a few hours - here is what I spotted:

- There is a bug when deploying the speeder which requires a relog

- Exiting pilot seat on the speeder often results in the player glitching inside the voxels and being unable to move

- Instant sell feature at markets crashes the game client every time (have submitted a crash report)

The FTUE is excellent btw. Looks like a bit of bug squashing before truly playable though. Thanks

Tried the FTUE with two characters so far, once playing by the rules and once trying to break the FTUE as soon as possible. Here's some things I noticed:

I like the idea of getting an outpost right at the beginning, but some of the design choices confuse me. For instance, the Station Outpost has a bunch of small sliding doors that look like they would close up the entire front of the base, but really they're just kind of useless and decorative, sitting on the sides. I feel like this design (perhaps some design elements of other stations as well) was made with presentation in mind (similar to the Aphelia buildings we have now), but IMO the beginner outposts should be designed with actual gameplay in mind.

The speeder selection is okay.

The quick selection of the starter tile on Haven is good for streamlining the introduction of new players, but it would be nice to get a better idea of the terrain/biome you're going to get. For instance, until you land, it's completely unclear what those darker patches in the grassy areas are.

About the Lander... Is the idea that you get to raid it for parts after landing? If so, I'd suggest a simpler design that doesn't have almost 100 elements. It feels a bit over-engineered for that, and it's not fun to get all the little bits (here's where the often suggested quick disassembly option would shine). I'm also a bit worried about players who - for whatever reason - quit the game before even using the lander. What happens to those landers? Do they just hang in the sky like barrage balloons, preying on new spaceship pilots?

Am I correct in assuming that players who start on Haven will automatically use their Sanctuary Territory Unit there and as such not be able to claim a territory on Sanctuary? Or is Haven more of a place for learning the mechanics of the game before moving on? I'm still a bit confused about what exactly the implications of Haven becoming the new starter moon are. Is Sanctuary going to end up as an exclusive area for alpha/beta testers only?

Bugs:

• When selecting your initial territory on Haven, clicking on an occupied territory does not reliably show the owner. Often, clicking on multiple owned territories would show them to be owned by the same player.
  • The Lander can be dismantled before even getting into the seat, allowing the player to drop down to the surface and screwing up the entire tutorial.
  • Force respawning during the tutorial brings the player to a district on Alioth, screwing up the entire tutorial - maybe that hatch element that serves as the player spawn should have a temporary res node function until that of the station is activated.
  • It seems to be impossible now to rotate static compactified constructs (i.e. outposts) before placing them. Not sure if the same is true for regular blueprints.
  • Fetching dynamic constructs or spawning them from blueprints seems to leave them invisible quite consistently.

Selling and buying at markets is a crash to desktop every time.

It would be nice if Haven had longer days and shorter nights like 90/10.

Need more containers in outpost or let Aphelia sell XS.

More containers in outpost would be better since that would allow players to sell theirs if they are not using them.

So after playing the FTUE this weekend. I really enjoy the outposts and the 2 new speeders. 

Oh, and I like the moon of Haven too. I was able to get some industry going. Was making small containers.

1. It looks like surface ore on haven does not respawn if be design let us know that.

2. The prices for schematics should be made cheaper or any item able to be made in the nano shouldn't require a shema in the associated industry. {I know this one depends on how fast you want people to progress}

3. We should land with at least three or four charges for calibrating MUs.

4. I had issues with the tutorials due to permissions/not able to go into build mode.

5. Would be nice if the Haven markets sold the same stuff as Alioth and Sanctuary.

6. This would be a nice to have at the markets, container hubs.

Overall I followed the tutorial of the FTUE without trying to break it and this was far more enjoyable FTUE then the start of Beta.

On 4/9/2022 at 1:44 AM, SomeOtherIdiot (SOI) said:

Also seems that there are issues with the assistant screen. I was unable to DU it for scavenge the lander and mining calibrations. But surface mining did work when I clicked on it. I do agree we should land with at least 3 charges for the MU. 

i had the same issue has this been insergated at present Rev.

I get FTUE it's a good idea for the new players. But for me that has played the game since a week after beta were realesed, it's a waste of time.

I mean that everything  a new player will do, I have already done. So why do I need to do it again? And like some of you said obout the mining farming. I think i speak for alot of gamers that are parents, as im a father of 2, that I do not have the time I would like to start over again after a wipe.

And if you look at the machanics that were put in to the game right now, unsub players and abandond structures the game remove them self with in a couple of weeks. 

I love those mechanics,becuase the game cleans it selfs. And at the same time I love it, I also love when I find structures that no one Been using for a long time And find it buried under mountins of dirt  i feel like indiana Jones becuase you never know what to find. So I really hope a wipe will not to be in the future./Nidhugg

13 minutes ago, Nidhugg said:

I get FTUE it's a good idea for the new players. But for me that has played the game since a week after beta were realesed, it's a waste of time.

I mean that everything  a new player will do, I have already done. So why do I need to do it again? And like some of you said obout the mining farming. I think i speak for alot of gamers that are parents, as im a father of 2, that I do not have the time I would like to start over again after a wipe.

And if you look at the machanics that were put in to the game right now, unsub players and abandond structures the game remove them self with in a couple of weeks. 

I love those mechanics,becuase the game cleans it selfs. And at the same time I love it, I also love when I find structures that no one Been using for a long time And find it buried under mountins of dirt  i feel like indiana Jones becuase you never know what to find. So I really hope a wipe will not to be in the future./Nidhugg

You don't. You can completely ignore FTUE.

Even if they do complete wipe, all tutorials and other FTUE stuff can be ignored and bypassed.

1 minute ago, kulkija said:

You don't. You can completely ignore FTUE.

Even if they do complete wipe, all tutorials and other FTUE stuff can be ignored and bypassed.

Ah so a wipe is completely unnecessary. But if I understand you will need to do some of it yo be able to get on you way in game.

1 minute ago, Nidhugg said:

Ah so a wipe is completely unnecessary. But if I understand you will need to do some of it yo be able to get on you way in game.

Don’t think you have to do any of it, as soon as the lander lands you’re free to do your own thing.

2 hours ago, Shredder said:

Don’t think you have to do any of it, as soon as the lander lands you’re free to do your own thing.

Yea but you are going to need stuff..like the MU, or you get when you log in? But I still do not see why a wipe is a good idea.

12 minutes ago, Nidhugg said:

Yea but you are going to need stuff..like the MU, or you get when you log in? But I still do not see why a wipe is a good idea.

When you start (after wipe) You have small ready configured base in your nano-pack. It has one MU ready configured and ready for use.

As you have played before you'll know how to deploy your free base and how to use MU.
You also get one free hover in you nano ready to be deployed and some gas.
Your tile is also ready.
Then you have probably 200k quanta. So you are ready to go rigth out of the package.
Just enjoy your game.

If you had participated last weekend PTU test you already know all this.

ps. Wipe is wery wery bad idea, but if NQ decides to do it then there in nothing we can do about it.

7 minutes ago, kulkija said:

When you start (after wipe) You have small ready configured base in your nano-pack. It has one MU ready configured and ready for use.

As you have played before you'll know how to deploy your free base and how to use MU.
Your tile is also ready.
Then you have probably 200k quanta. So you are ready to go rigth out of the package.
Just enjoy your game.

ps. Wipe is wery wery bad idea, but if NQ decides to do it then there in nothing we can do about it.

True. Well we will see what they do.

21 minutes ago, kulkija said:

Your tile is also ready.
Just enjoy your game.

I think a wipe is a great idea to attract new players, and I’d love starting off from scratch via this FTUE alongside them all.

6 minutes ago, SomeOtherIdiot (SOI) said:

I would also like to state a sad fact, that only 435 tiles were claimed on PTS Haven. So that means there was only 435 attempts at the FTUE. With so little turn out, why would they not wipe to get new players.

It means that over 400 players contributed their time to test new features. It does not indicate size of paying player-base.

If wipe is a way to get new players game is already dead.

Good evening i tested the new PTS last weekend too and i must say the FTUE is well designed and easy to understand ok some of the Tutorials get loading errors but i think its was because of the PTS Server capacity on the live server the tutorials works fine i need to to reload some of the tutorials until they load in but it works then same as selling ore to the market this everytime leads to a gamecrash on PTS but it sells the ore and after the relog money was in the wallet and the ore was out of my inventory. An couple of other things that caught my Eye was that the touchscreen in that Starter Base Mostly not respond after i exiting a vr tutorial then i had to relog or force rerspawn that it works again or somtimes after a vr tutorial all mark in the touchscreen interface was reset to 0 so that i have to mark all again which tutorial i have finished.The Mining Unit S at the starter base works well but i only see  0L Production Rate but the MU was working and gives out 50L/H but displayed was 0L.

An other thing i have tested(just for Fun) was to make a Battleship Flyable and bring it from the Institute to Haven then i see how small the Airstripe at the Base really was but i think an new player will be take a bit longer to get an L Core parked at Haven 😉 but at all was a nice testing day and i think new players will understand the start in the game and have something to start with like that new sportscar pocket ship looks nice too before i modify it to reach space. And the new Atmosphere level on Haven is good too and  maybe prevents Space Towers on the starter moon because the players need to reach 8450m that their Space Engines starting to warm up are a better level as on the other Planets because that new Space Towers must be double high as on the other Planets so i think thats a good change for an starter Moon too.

Have a good time all

Corgan7 

123192874_Screenshot(14).png

710728577_Screenshot(15).png

Edited by Corgan7

FR/EN

Bonjour,

Le primordial, à mon avis, c'est qu'il manque la possibilité de choisir son environnement (avec ou sans quelques arbres). La seule possibilité est le choix neige, steppe ou désert ainsi qu'éloigné ou non d'un market ou d'un district, POINT.

Comme pour l'instant l'affichage des propriétaires de tuiles n'est pas le top, bonjour pour retrouver les copains. 
Fichue aussi s'ils sont sur Sanctu :(

Donc la première chose à faire c'est acheter des TU et haro sur **ALIOTH**.

-----

Hello,

The main thing, in my opinion, is that it lacks the possibility of choosing its environment (with or without a few trees). The only possibility is the choice of snow, steppe or desert as well as far or not from a market or a district, POINT.

As for now the display of tile owners is not the best, hello to find friends.
Damn too if they're on Sanctu :(

So the first thing to do is buy TU and haro on **ALIOTH**.

Sorry Google Trad ;)

Tried out four different outposts on 4 separate accounts and I was very impressed. The only issue I encounter was the being unable to deploy the speeder BP as I "was too far away". This happened on all four characters, with 4 different speeders. The outposts themselves we're all very well done, giving the new player something nice to own right away gets them feeling invested and spares us the unsightly platforms and roofless buildings of the past. I would recommend expanding on this a little. Add the construction tutorial to the end of the intro FTUE and have the player add something onto their new house, this will really cement the feel of ownership and make it more meaningful. If we actually had player-made places to visit in the VR, (There weren't any on the PTS... ) There would be so many inspiring examples for new players to get excited about, their little heads would explode thinking about all the possibilities. **Shameless don't wipe excuse** I also really liked the tutorials being on the screen right there in the outpost and the Planet info LUA screen was a brilliant example of what those new screens can do for us. Can't wait to see what players do with it. Fair warning, I was able to enter build mode on the lander before jumping in the seat to start the sequence, AND I was able to remove everything including the rocket tank and engine that usually disappears when you land. (Thanks Archaegeo) 
    All said and done, the FTUE was very impressive, I'm excited for the new players coming into the game.

I still think they underestimate the impact outposts will have on performance -- 20,000 new players is 20,000 new and permanent bases. 

Have they really and truly tested how things will scale on release should they attract tens of thousands of players...? That spawning that many outposts (likely in the few days after launch) won't impact performance too badly? That new players will be able to get to a market in a reasonable amount of time if they are the 10,000th player to join? 

With 20 new markets, only 1800 people will be able to claim hexes within 5 spaces. Only 6600 players will be within 10 spaces (assuming my shitty math is right...)   

I do agree that this FTUE has a lot of potential and does offer improvements...but I think it will make other issues worse. Issues that won't be apparent on the PTS. 

With even the best subscription products having 10-20% churn rates, I see this FTUE getting worse over time until they are forced to change the rules about structures being safe on Haven/Sanctuary...especially at the scale they need to sustain the game (a lot more than 10,000 new subs).