DEVBLOG: NEW FTUE IN ATHENA - discussion thread

NQ-Wanderer

What the devblog says it could be a good start and I will certainly do a run though.

I'm a bit afraid that his will be much lke the oldskool  EVE FTUE, basically going "hey, welcome, here is a ship and now F off"

The first impression I get is that it's not enough and it will just drive ne wplayers up a wall if they even can find it in themselves to stay that long. The tutorials are still mostly as they are form what I read and frankly, those are not great and very rough. The UX for them is also plain bad as the result of NQ not having the room to really let the players run around and figure it out.. it's mostly a "click the buttons" experience.

But we'll see tomorrow..

1 minute ago, blazemonger said:

What the devblog says it could be a good start and I will certainly do a run though.

I'm a bit afraid that his will be much lke the oldskool  EVE FTUE, basically going "hey, welcome, here is a ship and now F off"

The first impression I get is that it's not enough and it will just drive ne wplayers up a wall if they even can find it in themselves to stay that long. The tutorials are still mostly as they are form what I read and frankly, those are not great and very rough. The UX for them is also plain bad as the result of NQ not having the room to really let the players run around and figure it out.. it's mostly a "click the buttons" experience.

But we'll see tomorrow..

They must tackle the range of horrible and frustrating first time experiences, such as ‘my ship has flipped over how do I turn it over again’ or needing to run ‘configure as flying construct’, there’s many of these types of things which make the start a painful experience.

1 hour ago, space_man said:

As a new player how do you craft space fuel, is t2 ore on every tile on haven?

What happens if you unsub?

What happens to beta keys on release?

If it is as I recall Sanctuary being, you can't auto-mine t2 there, but you can surface-harvest t2 rocks. As there is also a shuttle to an from Alioth it is entirely possible to either use the market to obtain fuel, or use the shuttle to get a mining setup going on Alioth.

One thing that is difficult for me as a new player is that I want to invite my friends to join me in neighboring tiles, but I wasn't sure how my initial tile placement would impact that, so I didn't choose a good title to start out with. It would be really cool if you could decide in game to move my sanctuary tile so that I can invite a bunch of friend at a later time then all pick neighboring tiles. I think that in order to move you would have to remove or abandon all of your constructs and the landscape would be reset once you remove your territory unit. I understand that will be to big to include in the next update, but I thought I would get the suggestion out there. I think it would make it a lot easier for me to introduce my friend to the game if I could move somewhere that they can grab neighboring tiles.

Issues right from the start:

* Mining Unit productivity is 0, even though the mining unit was setup automatically in the tutorial

* Really should have mining unit S for sale at the markets, so a new player can have all t1 ore going right from day 1

* Start players out with a full set of calibrations, waiting 6 hours for a calibration would turn a lot of people away

* Where do new players get scrap, if they crash on somebodies tile? We should really start with a small amount of scrap.

* Add basic schematics to haven

* Greetings Anonymous on the outpost screen, along with several details missing or not working.... on the training screen. 

* A very small amount of harvest rocks are available from the start, for a solo player, please stop limiting new players with the harvesting mechanics. 

* Starting out with 0 talents - is very hardcore and punishing, we should at least get 500k, and the refer a friend should be 5 million.

Issues with the outpost station:

* The camera is upside down when entering the bed

* The radar turns into Error item when picking up the radar

* The doors are stacked. 

Issues with the update:

* Dynamic constructs do not show a build preview. This would still be useful to see what random blueprint I'm putting down

* All weapons should be downgraded since the recipe changed. The same economic issue also applies to warp beacons.

* Didn't get much of a chance to try the new weapons out - really hoping that you add pvp arenas, and space-only missions.

* Parcel containers really need love - we need variants for these items too! 

Overall thoughts: 

* New players need a way to make space or even rocket fuel in the nano pack.

* lots of small details are great, but you really need to test and refine more.

* tutorials are pretty easy to break if you do stuff like deploying the speeder before it tells you to.

* harvesting rocks is still lame. please be more creative with hand tools, they have been lame since alpha... lets see power systems and ship tools (at least on a roadmap)

* Why do we need 36 days to max out harvesting talents?

* This update is 80% good to go, but the last 20% really really needs work.

One issue that will also occur about 30 seconds after the patch hitting live, is that all tiles around the markets will be claimed. The tiles being so large will cause issues for new players in weeks/months to follow, as they will still need to travel 25/50/75 km to get to their local market. Have you considered making the tiles smaller, or adding more starter moons more often?

Second issue with starter planets, all of the markets are way too spread out for one player to sell their goods (and really help out the new players), have you considered making the markets linked on these start planets, or longer term have you considered adding market talents where in you could link to a market without actually being at the market (but 2/5/10 km away from it), and then adding a long list of skills to allow players to move items between markets, buy items from remote markets and have them teleported for a fee or some sort of automatic mission setup? This would help new players buy increasing the availability of items (beyond market 6). 

19 minutes ago, space_man said:

Where do new players get scrap, if they crash on somebodies tile? We should really start with a small amount of scrap.

Lets take it one step further and remove the RDMS for surface harvesting of the small gravel on claimed tiles, just respawn them if they don't do that anymore. Not having rights to pickup the small rocks is just plain silly.

This seems rather counter-productive. 

The fact that every new player will get a hex (and an initial outpost) which isn't subject to abandonment will really be fun for performance and longevity.

It seems like mixed messaging...NQ doesn't want to pay to support all our stuff, but they will pay for the thousands of new players that ditch the game after 10 minutes to have their outpost and hex forever. It's going to become cluttered with these very quickly. At least before (public 'beta' launch) we only had an ocean of ditched speeders...but this will be more resource-intensive. They'll have no choice but to change the rules with safe moons. 

The worst way to explain things to a player (especially in an MMO) is to throw text at them....and DU has a lot of random rules and mechanics that aren't obvious that don't even have text explanations as part of the tutorial.

They need major UI/UX overhauls -- they need affordances that guide the player without relying on walls-o-text that only some will read. 

I think this is a slightly more effective FTUE than before, but not by enough to make a big difference...and they are certainly creating some issues with this that they'll have no choice but to fix later (although if release doesn't go well, I don't think there will be a 'later'). 

46 minutes ago, Yoarii said:

Lets take it one step further and remove the RDMS for surface harvesting of the small gravel on claimed tiles, just respawn them if they don't do that anymore. Not having rights to pickup the small rocks is just plain silly.

There is scrap in your drop ship. Need to see if the market tiles allow mining.

Really enjoyed the FTUE, it hits the mark in terms of keeping the tutorial simple and only covering the basics, a good intro. Couple of points:

• At the end of the tutorial I still have my refueler selected, therefore clicking on the tutorial screen doesn't do anything. Need a prompt to tell us to put refuel tool away first.
  • The 'what too do next/tutorial screen' is quite small, which is fine, but the chair in front of it makes it difficult to get close to read the text.
  • The 'Lets do it' button must surely kick off a tutorial? but it doesn't do anything for me.

One thing I liked about the previous FTUE at the start of beta was that you were immediately surrounded by lots of other players, which meant it really felt like a busy single shard game. The issue with that was obviously the horrendous lag and confusing environment that it caused, so I think this new FTUE is much better in that regard. However I wonder whether there is someway to still capture that sense that this is a true single shard sandbox from the outset (there are so many games that pretend to be but really arnt, this is the biggest selling point of the game).

Edited by Shredder

You should introduce players to the flashlight early on. If they land on a spot at night, or use the VR station to a location at night Its hard to see.

Also, its nice to emphasise the loss of inventory on death or exiting VR, but you should qualify it by excluding Tools and Data Files (types in the drop down).

The final step of clicking on the POA Manager screen won't work if a tool is selected, which is likely the case if the last action was to fuel up your speeder. And that will be frustrating to someone who hasn't experienced it a thousand times :)

My take on the DU FTUE back-story (in jest of course)

Okay so to recap, we were cryogenically frozen ...
Travelled thousands of light-years across the universe ...
looking for a new Earth like planet to call home.

The Ark ship finally gets to Alioth (Hallelujah!) and we are awoken by the A.I. ...
who puts us in a drop pod (lander) to start our new life ...
but due to some gross miscalculation the drop pod shoots in the opposite direction and we land on a 'moon' devoid of surface water.

The A.I. did however take the time to mine all the necessary ores ...

in order to build infrastructure (institutes, markets, mission hubs, etc.) ...
on not only one but ALL the moons and planets in the Helios system (and in the middle of the safe zone)!

Not only that but the A.I. also took the time (while we were frozen, I might add) ... 
to stock these markets (except Haven) with items and schematics for us to purchase from her ...
with the daily allowance that she gives to us for surviving yet another day in her reality!

She coddles us along, providing tutorials and opportunities to learn new skills ...
which in the end provides more income to her data 'bank' ...
through territory purchases, market taxes, non-HQ territory taxes, etc.

All the while pushing us towards PvP ...
To fight against one another for capturing rare resources ...
in an A.I. calculated misdirection.

The real enemy has been in front of us all this time ...
the true gameplay is Player versus A.I. ...
Down with our Overlord Aphelia!!!  🙃