Taking down DU YouTube content (>10k views) till NQ puts wipe rumours to rest.

Megabosslord

After the longest post ever that actually says nothing (below) NQ have successfully made speculation of a wipe even worse - making everything more vague, and crushing any optimism that was keeping us building.

Until we get some clarity if there will be a wipe of any kind, or to what extent, there's just no point promoting current builds (since they might soon be gone) or gameplay (since the player might soon be gone as well.) 

When will NQ realise current players ARE their marketing?

Eh, don't take this the wrong way but the current players aren't much of a source of marketing...they might be the only source of marketing today, but that is by design. 

Release will actually be a huge wave of marketing -- launching a new MMO tends to get press, and NQ has shown that they aren't shy about ads...they just don't want to run them now because the game isn't ready.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think the game will be ready come release (regardless of wipe or not). 

To put it into context, with an average CPM of $2 for YouTube...20k views is worth about $40...

I think NQ has given up on organic growth and think they can just buy their traffic/new players come release. I doubt that will be the case (at positive ROI), but public beta showed how many players the gaming press can drive when paired with paid adverts. 

I rather think that those who are interested in DualUniverse have been here for a long time. Whether alpha or beta, many players had come to test. Many players have left again, for many reasons. Even now, a player could always test the game or watch videos to take a look at the game, as well as look through the forums to see how the community is on it and the interaction between players and that between NQ and the players.

The game is not necessarily a bright star on the gaming market, which is expected by many potential players. DualUniverse is more of a small game with very limited content, so it only attracts a comparatively small target audience and will be able to retain an even smaller group. If the game were to offer even more content to position itself more broadly from player interests - then growth can be generated, but currently it is not interesting enough for many.

Sure, you could attract a mass through a lot of advertising for the short term, but they are more like locusts, because they come, lead the servers to the load limit and are quickly gone again. That should not be in the sense of NQ.

3 hours ago, blundertwink said:

I think NQ has given up on organic growth and think they can just buy their traffic/new players come release. I doubt that will be the case (at positive ROI), but public beta showed how many players the gaming press can drive when paired with paid adverts. 

The biggest challenge for NQ is how they will pull in enough new players to be able to complete the basic game features post release. And the number of players that joined at beta, besides beta keys or streamers who got their keys for free, is not all that many relative to other games. DU is a nice game in a niche game corner of the market. For NQ to succeed, NQ wil have to be able to rely on their existing playerbase and have them advocate for the game and invote peers to join.

Unfortunately, NQ seems to be more inclined to alienate their existing playerbase and remain vague and tightlipped on their plans. By dismissing their community and refusing to both understand and utilize the value of their community (in many ways), NQ is pretty much eliminating the one resource they have which will allow them to promote the gam eon the limited budget they have.

20 hours ago, blundertwink said:

Release will actually be a huge wave of marketing -- launching a new MMO tends to get press, and NQ has shown that they aren't shy about ads...they just don't want to run them now because the game isn't ready.

One loyal player is worth 10 new players. Every MMO that ever wiped had a temporary bump of tourists, then within a couple months had even less players than it had before the wipe. Look at the stats:

Atlas (spot the wipes): https://steamcharts.com/app/834910#All

Same for Last Oasis: https://steamcharts.com/app/903950

Even New World now has 1/5th the player it had during open beta. 

And here's the opposite story - an 'open world' space game that has never wiped, also gets a short-lived bump on each release but always settles ABOVE previous av. player count by always focussing on releasing new features and content, NEVER WIPING and letting players keep what they already have: https://steamdb.info/app/275850/graphs/ 

I am seeing players stop playing now as they do not know if there is a wipe coming or not.  The lack of communication in my opinion is insulting to the time we spent testing the Beta for them.

I have made so many tickets and help fix so many issues over the past 2 years as I am sure many of you have too.  We at least deserve honesty and to be apart of the discussion of resetting the server and to what extent it is reset.

3 hours ago, i2eilly said:

I am seeing players stop playing now as they do not know if there is a wipe coming or not.  The lack of communication in my opinion is insulting to the time we spent testing the Beta for them.

I have made so many tickets and help fix so many issues over the past 2 years as I am sure many of you have too.  We at least deserve honesty and to be apart of the discussion of resetting the server and to what extent it is reset.

Right. This information finally belongs on the table. Now, not in a few weeks or months.

There were to many drastic changes already. I wish NQ is doing some good brainstorm before the next surprise hits the community.

So many places near to my base have been given up after the last changes. I'm very concerned. Friends all gone.

I have just one small but nice base on one tile. Spending more then 500kk for all my schematics - dug all out myself by hand.

If NQ definitely want me to quit as well, then just wipe all that shit and I'm done. I would see it as a modern way of decommissioning.

... just my words..

3 hours ago, Kruzer said:

Speaking of marketing, I'm starting to see DU ads ahead of Youtube videos.  Sadly they are severely misrepresenting the game in not outright lying about it.

Yeah, I am seeing a lot of those too. A bit puzzling as  a new player is expecting to see what was in the ad.  Once they look behind the curtain and say to themselves "wtf?"  they will probably leave and lose trust in NQ. A shame to burn new players before good content is available. NQ should have waited until at least Athena was out for a few weeks.

The topic reads like you are pulling your youtube videos in protest. If so, I don't exactly agree with that approach but to each his own. Either way all the devs did was casually drop in a reminder that they would be following up on the wipe discussion soon. Literally nothing has changed yet. A wipe was always on the table and we have already seen a few instances where a partial wipe was both needed and performed. I get the frustration of not knowing what the future holds but the game is in beta. When you signed up to play you took that risk of having your progress wiped, many others didn't and are now praying for a wipe. Bets have been placed and winners will be decided soon. All of the recent "if you wipe I will quit" and "if you don't wipe I will never play" statements just come off as self-serving and likely hold very little sway over the actual decision. If you want to contribute some meaningful feedback then head on over to this thread and share your thoughts on how a wipe/no-wipe would be better for DU as a whole.

Also, I sincerely hope you restore your videos at some point. Even if DU were to one day fail I for one would still enjoy watching them and remembering the good times.

Edited by Msoul
Fixed thread link

11 hours ago, Msoul said:

The topic reads like you are pulling your youtube videos in protest. If so, I don't exactly agree with that approach but to each his own. Either way all the devs did was casually drop in a reminder that they would be following up on the wipe discussion soon. Literally nothing has changed yet. A wipe was always on the table and we have already seen a few instances where a partial wipe was both needed and performed. I get the frustration of not knowing what the future holds but the game is in beta. When you signed up to play you took that risk of having your progress wiped, many others didn't and are now praying for a wipe. Bets have been placed and winners will be decided soon. All of the recent "if you wipe I will quit" and "if you don't wipe I will never play" statements just come off as self-serving and likely hold very little sway over the actual decision. If you want to contribute some meaningful feedback then head on over to this thread and share your thoughts on how a wipe/no-wipe would be better for DU as a whole.

Also, I sincerely hope you restore your videos at some point. Even if DU were to one day fail I for one would still enjoy watching them and remembering the good times.

Unfortunately, the game was touted as a "persistent" universe, and it was VERY VERY heavily implied at the start of beta no full wipe would be happening again. The talks of wipes even remotely being on the table was mentioned in aside for the first time a few months ago but wasn't taken seriously because of how little it was discussed. Once again, the game will likely not survive a wipe. Players are the content in the game, it brings almost nothing really to the table past the same waiting for autominers and super laggy pvp, if you can call it that. All the politics, all the cool things to go out and look at, all the cool ships, that's all player created. A LOT of the major players in that player created content don't intend to come back if there is a wipe. Your right about one thing though. They really are not listening apparently. We needed to know the answer to this already, not right before release. I get if all of the staff likely don't know, as its probably a higher up decision here, but the graves dug, the fat lady is starting to warm up, and based on the amount of people that are not playing right now, because they dont know if anything they do now will matter, its not looking too hot.

There is a portion of folks who'll only come back or continue to play if there is a wipe and there is another portion of folks who'll only come back or continue to play if there isn't a wipe.  I don't think either group is relevant because in my opinion, neither group is big enough to support the game and  it is likely both groups are dwarfed by the portion that aren't coming back regardless.

On 3/31/2022 at 1:46 PM, Msoul said:

Thanks Msoul. Not so much protest, as basic courtesy. And ethics. I'm not going to be part of promoting the game, encouraging new players to join, if those players are only going to make a start now and have their efforts wiped soon after as well. Anyone who joins the game now should be able to make that decision with full visibility on what they're investing their time in.

On 4/1/2022 at 7:53 AM, Kruzer said:

There is a portion of folks who'll only come back or continue to play if there is a wipe and there is another portion of folks who'll only come back or continue to play if there isn't a wipe.  I don't think either group is relevant because in my opinion, neither group is big enough to support the game and  it is likely both groups are dwarfed by the portion that aren't coming back regardless.

My view is that the way to build the player base in a game is to focus on adding new content, not taking content away. In a UGC/UCC game, that extends to the content players have created. (DU's biggest asset is the LUA and voxel content we've built.) We need certainty these assets are valued appropriately.

Anybody who saw the promotional videos and what was promised and then spent years playing the Alpha and so called Beta and experiencing the huge divergence between what was promoted and what was delivered and still thought that the 'promise' of no wipe was somehow uniquely iron clad should have their head examined.

Frankly, given the trajectory this game is on, the only wipe you should be worried about is the likely final wipe that will occur about 6 months after this so called release flops.

When I started playing I was like: The terrain is so boring and ugly they basically have to do a wipe in the future, so I am playing the game a bit but waiting for the terrain wipe and not investing too mich time right now. It is funny that they did a terrain wipe but only reverting it to alpha state. Probably because builders gonna cry, everytime.