CIVILIZATION BUILDING: The TriCore and the Neighbors

Hirnsausen

The game urgently needs Civilization Building before it should be launched. Here is my suggestion.

Create a new type of core, the "TriCore".
A single player can purchase it, and even place it. But right after placement, at least one or maximum two different of the neighbors must add their claim to this special core, otherwise it will decay within 24 hours. Only if a TriCore received claims of at least two different players, it remains in place.

They would be placed at the border junction of three tiles, and it automatically then moves to the exact center of those three tile borders. The shape of such a TriCore could be triangular, or hexagonal when seen from above.

What does such a TriCore do?
It opens up a very wide range of additional possibilities, and involves randomized research groups each with several research trees inside. The random also depends on WHO these two or three players are:
- Do they all belong to the same organization or same player account?
- How many talent points do they have already?
If they are from truly different organization and player accounts, there would be a set of high-ranking research groups from which the TriCore randomly selects one.
If the different players are from the same player account, this will set again a different set of medium-ranking research groups. And if it is even the same player, this selects yet another set of (low-ranking) research groups of which the TriCore selects one randomly.
Another factor that influences the Research Groups available for random selecting by the TriCore is, what type of terrain it is, and what type of ore exists in the underground. And of course, the importance of the accessible research groups also depends on the amount of players who added their claim to the TriCore: teams of only two players cannot access the full range of Research Groups , only research groups of slightly reduced benefits.

After the placement of the TriCore, the two or three tile owners then can start to build with honeycombs a building that has research rooms: The more rooms and the larger the rooms, the better. Each player builds inside his/her own tile despite that the TriCore belongs to each of them. Once the rooms are built, the two or three players must now consult with each other and decide, which research tree inside the research group randomly selected by the TriCore  want to start with, and agree on that by each player selecting that research tree from the list. The players now buy various Research Equipment from the markets. Not each equipment element can be used for each research tree, but the current research project of the agreed tree tells them what equipment is needed. (Optionally, they also buy on the Human Resource Market some scientists/researchers based on the Match Value of that employee for their selected research. Otherwise it is the players who do the research.)

At first, research will be slow. But as soon as the first HOUSING research of someone's TriCore is finish and those players get the schematics and produce them, all other players can by then these products for their own TriCore cooperation towers: small or medium or large parks of different types, cinemas, TV stations, radio stations, and s on. hen those things are placed on the own TriCore cooperation Tower, it will have the one or other positive impact on research speed or even unlock more research projects of the selected research tree of the randomly assigned research group. There could be a global research map with a search-by-keyword feature, divided into categories, where players can find out which TriCore Cooperation Tower sells the items needed for the own research speedup. It also allows players, to send their research item suggestions to NQ, so NQ news what's wanted and can create more research trees and research projects. A player-driven universe where players have to cooperate to achieve things together for themselves and all other players.

No research can be kept secret - if not being offered within a week to the public and remaining public, that research (and all subsequent research) is lost and other player teams could get it assigned.

After the first (lowest) research project of that research tree has been finished, the team can start on one of the next higher or same-level research projects of that branching tree. Requirements may differ, new research equipment might be needed to be purchased at the markets, new or bigger rooms might be needed (m3 value must match at least, and needed or even more research machines must be in place each requiring its own space inside that room or those rooms.

And research speedup items are just some of many research trees. A wide variety of items will become available over time at the TriCore Cooperation Towers (TCCTs). In fact, there should not be more than three TCCTs doing the same research. Means, a wide variety of research trees is required.

Some research products will be great for PVPers, some for unarmed ship builders, some for miners, some for farmers who need seeds and soil honeycombs, some for those who wish to individualize their avatars, some who want very unusual, special honeycombs with unseen properties (like glass honeycombs, oily rainbow surface honeycombs, heat shield honeycombs, etc.), and so on.

Example: Avatar Cosmetics:
A TCCT has finished research on how to change the MOUTH of an avatar. These two or three players now build a CLINIC and players from all across the Dual Universe who wish to alter their avatars must now come to that very TCCT to visit one of the probably three clinic rooms. They select one of the rooms, pay that player (fees are fixed by the research not the player), and join the waiting line. Once it is their turn, they then enter that room, and select the mouth area they want. The more research has been down on Mouth Areas, the more mouth types become available, or the more the sliders that alter that area can be moved. Beside mouth, there are also all other customizations: eyes nose, cheeks, forehead, hair, facial hair, vertical head size, head thickness, eye color, eye brows, neck length and thickness, body muscularness or slackness, bodyheight or shortness, boy age, obesity or meagerness, headwear, upper wear (shirts), lower wear, foot wear, and so on.

In Brief
TriCores require different players to work together, to achieve something for themselves and for the entire DU community.
A TCCT contains at first research room. Over time, it would also contain leisure and resting rooms, libraries, and much more.
When research has been completed, these three players receive schematics that can be built with the existing DU industry machines.
TCCTs will then also contain service rooms or sales rooms or even hotel rooms (giving some sort of benefit to the guest), that pay out directly to the two or three cooperating players.
Vastly different research projects. Not more than three identical research trees Dual Universe wide.

TCCTs with their TriCores should be implemented before official game launch just to be in place, though much of the research projects, research trees and research groups can be added after official game launch.

At the early begin of this feature, their might not be enough research groups/trees created by NQ for each already existing TCCT, so they remain inactive until more research trees are in place and they get one.

I just gave the initial suggestion, but it is up to all the players and NQ staff, to add flesh to this idea.
Dear players, please add your suggestion for research items below. Thanks.

Edited by Hirnsausen

- different sizes of flagpoles
- flag standards
- specialized tools
- plant seeds
- plant seed collecting drone
- basic soil honeycomb schematics
- transparent glass voxels
- borderlessly merging glass panels
- xs glass panel
- rounded glass panels of different sizes an angles and segment sizes
- oily rainbow honeycombs
- mirror honeycombs

Edited by Hirnsausen

On 3/27/2022 at 1:25 AM, Hirnsausen said:

A single player can purchase it, and even place it. But right after placement, at least one or maximum two different of the neighbors must add their claim to this special core, otherwise it will decay within 24 hours. Only if a TriCore received claims of at least two different players, it remains in place.

I'd say it is better to reverse this requirement and allow a research facility to work on a core that is placed on a tile that has neighbors (tiles owned by someone), otherwise it is not functional.

As for research tree, to be honest I am not sure I understood what you described, however it looks way to complex and not very detailed, so I want to suggest an alternative - make it produce industry schematics.

Reasons behind:

• industry schematics is something all players will be glad to cooperate with other players despite their preferences (PvP or PvE)
  • industry schematics is something that is already exists so its easier to implement first iteration of the research cooperation.

3 hours ago, AdmiralYolomoto said:

...As for research tree, to be honest I am not sure I understood what you described, however it looks way to complex and not very detailed...

If you caught the line about needing to make anything you've researched publicly available within a week to avoid losing it, you may come to the conclusion as I have that this is less about creating a research-system and more about indirectly suggesting a way for NQ to add in a bunch of stuff that he wants and pushing anyone that gets their hands on it to sell it to him.

I would however appreciate NQ adding in a proper research-system to allow players to produce element/material schematics. Even if it costs as much in materials to to research as it does to just fly to market and buy one, it would at the very least introduce said research-system to the game. If they went and under-cut the market-bot's cost by enough and made the high-tier stuff have a limited number of runs then they could even pull said higher-tier schematics off the market and get players to sell them to each other without ruffling too many feathers.

Thanks, Taelessael, for your feedback.
If the research trees would just output exactly the same stuff that is available already at the markets to everyone, where is the excitement to have something almost no one else can produce? Just because Taelessael wants to get some market items cheaper? 😄

What I try to offer with my suggestion is the first system that indeed might be working to bring people together (to some extend), with the aim to produce almost unique things, so there is a big demand universe-wide. My own suggestions about the items are meant to be just a motivation to others, to add the unique items they could imagine, and of course which they want. So far, it is correct, that the TriCore adds a lot to the fun and interaction and also excitement and depth of this wonderful game.

So, in behalf of Taelessael I am adding these items to the list of wanted research output:
- some or all available schematics maybe or maybe not cheaper and if, then maybe with limited runs or still unlimited runs

Admiral Yolomoto, thanks to you, too, for your feedback. You suggest that it should be enough, just to have neighbors, to place this special core. Okay. But what I try add to this wonderful game is a need, that neighbors of any kind and color and directives have to talk to each other t start a project which also requires them to agree on some things and to add their own resources to make these special things work. This caters to the long promised but not yet fully implemented promise, that DU will be having components of Civilization Building when it launches. My concern is, to ensure that this game, when it is being launched, gets very good critics, because I want to play this game for a long time. That is, what this interaction between players to achieve something together is so important.

Another thing I am wondering about is, why would someone spend resources to build a research facility that outputs existing and widely available schematics, if those are available already at the markets. Where is the uniqueness and the need of all others to come to your place to obtain a special thing?
But anyhow, seeing that you wish for schematics, I will add them now as your suggestion.
- Industry Schematics

To everyone else who is reading this thread, please post the special or not special things here that you could imagine to develop in cooperation with other players. Thanks.

2 hours ago, Hirnsausen said:

You suggest that it should be enough, just to have neighbors, to place this special core. Okay. But what I try add to this wonderful game is a need, that neighbors of any kind and color and directives have to talk to each other t start a project which also requires them to agree on some things and to add their own resources to make these special things work.

Not at all. I suggested different approach to check if the research occurs. Approach you suggested is not compliant with existing game architecture. TriCore has its own magical timer with exclusive conditions and it also has to ignore RDMS. I suggest to not add new type of core. Instead there is an new Element that functions when there are neighbors with such Elements and you with your neighbors did a job to make them work, then they are functional.

Another thing I am wondering about is, why would someone spend resources to build a research facility that outputs existing and widely available schematics, if those are available already at the markets.

Because if game mechanics exists players will use it, therefore players will produce items available from this mechanics, which will make these item common and available at markets after a period of time. Also there are several ways to obtain ore and elements, but there is no way to get a schematic other that grind quanta. So I suggested schematics. Also as Taelessael mentioned if schematics will have limited amount of usage that will add new type of regular and highly required activity - schematics research.

...If the research trees would just output exactly the same stuff that is available already at the markets to everyone, where is the excitement to have something almost no one else can produce? Just because Taelessael wants to get some market items cheaper?...

I don't personally have my hand in major factory-stuff (only got a fuel factory for my mission-runner, and a voxel factory for my ship/structure designing), so I don't hugely care if it is properly cheaper or not. That said, as schematics already exist it would be easier/faster to implement them as research rewards than it would be to invent even more stuff (so we'd get the research mechanic sooner), and it would provide a method of obtaining schematics that doesn't require going and buying them off the market for those stubborn people that want to do it all from nothing themselves without the markets.