Game is not finished.

Cyanyde

22 minutes ago, Thunderblaze said:

Release doesn't mean they stop updates.

Yes, you point being?

In it's current stage DU is not ready for release as a fully fleshed product which is what i suspect the OP is referring to.

Are they forced to release anyway, perhaps as a last ditch effort to safe the dumpster fire that is DU

They are forced to "release",  but the game is no where close to what people expect from a MMO these days.

And so after "release" the so called "still in beta" excuse can no longer be used as an catch all for everything that if wrong with DU, and there will predictably be negative reviews saying what we all know is true. And I just can't see how anyone can expect that the game we get will result in large numbers of new players joining at release.

Truly a lose-lose situation if I ever have seen one.

17 hours ago, Kruzer said:

I beg to differ OP.  This game is indeed 'finished'.

You are not wrong I fear and not because of the state the game is nowIMO, which may be a surprise..

The problem is that I expect NQ thinks they can salavge the DU by keeping their "what's next" announcements to the last moment prior to "release of DU into early access" to create the idea af much "great new content and features" yet to come, hoping to be able to draw it the many tens of thousands they will need. Problem there is that this will not work and so yes, at that point NQ is done for as they wil have run out of funding and not able to secure more money. They are trying to squeeze a MVP out the door at this point.

The challenge with release is that you only have one opportunity to ride the press and interest that comes with a new game hitting the market.

Players won't care if "updates are coming" if their first impression of the product is poor -- especially with how the game is engineered to somewhat discourage reconversions via abandonment mechanics.

It will be a similar pattern as Amazon's New World or DU's public beta launch...an explosion of interest as the product launches, then quick churn until it reaches a floor. 

DU's floor will be much lower than Amazon's, though....and Amazon monetized their game by ditching a sub and making the cost up-front...so even with daily active players being 1/10th of launch, they likely recouped all their production costs. 

On the other hand, DU will need to keep new players subbed for 4 months to make the same revenue. 

After release, the cost to acquire users only increases -- so let's hope Athena massively, massively improves FTUE and gives new player a reason to stay subbed....otherwise it'll become very clear how "not ready" the game was and there won't be another opportunity to fix it.