A few thoughts on the wipe topic (and NQ's silence on it)

Wolfram

First things first, I'd like to just leave my opinion clear here, I really don't care if a wipe happens or not. I've pretty much burnt out of the game over the last few months and the only reason I keep a subscription running is because I have hopes that at some point it will get better again, and if it does, at least I still have my things somewhere, as they took over a year to get to where they are right now.

That being said, I obviously would just pause my subscription if NQ announced a wipe, at least until the game is wiped and some minimal amount of content is back. I simply don't have a reason to pay for something and invest time on it if I know it will be deleted in a few weeks or months, and also won't have any reason or even time to play when everything is back to stone age.

Oh yes, and being back at stone age, that's a good topic. NQ is selling the game with lots of promises (one of them, back when I joined, was of persistance, but let's forget that), such as big battles, etc. The issue with that, specially since everything is player-made, is that after a wipe the game will be basically empty. Pretty much all there will be to do is to get started. Even proper professions won't be a thing, since everyone will be stuck grabbing rocks, queueing talents and starting over. PVP is even worse, first because it's a high risk investment, then also because pretty much everyone will be on the safe zones anyways (even if only Sanctuary is the safe zone, after all, everyone is starting over).

A bit related to starting over is how the wipe would happen. Lots of people seem to want something partial just to "fix the balance", which we all know won't do much. A good part of the imbalance of this game is caused by the whales who own a ton of beta key alts and pretty much have those characters maxed out in some skill trees. If talents aren't wipe then those accounts could either have a massive advantage against anyone - newbie or not - or even be sold to new players or anyone looking for an advantage, even though that's against the rules.

For that previous point, what I think could work, is requiring a 3 month+ sub at least, at beginning, to keep the points. To anyone properly playing the game it will make no difference, after all it's the minimum sub time you'd need anyways. If you have one or two alts and think it's worth keeping, well you can go for it too, but would quickly make things difficult to handle for whales, since they would have to expend more and more to keep their 10+ alts running.

And for a final point, the NQ silence. While I understand they are on a very tough position, they should at least start this discussion with the community. Yes, obviously lots of players will stop playing with a wipe, specially people paying, but I'm sure many are already getting tired and just feeling like giving up the game altogether because of this lack of proper communication. There's also the chance of a massive backlash when the wipe happens. The earlier NQ starts talking about it, the less it will feel like the whole silence thing was a scam to get players to pay for something they won't keep. And trust me, since the whole reason for a wipe is getting ready for release, the worse thing you can do is to leave players with that feeling, as that can (and will) easily turn into bad reviews and things that will turn off potential new players.

Anyways, if you read until here thank you so much! I hope the best for this game, for real.

Edited by Wolfram

9 hours ago, space_man said:

Why would anyone continue playing if they announced a wipe?

I honestly don't know. Probably the servers would go dead, just like the day before wipe in games such as Rust (where weekly wipes are common).

The difference is the post wipe situation, most creations that made DU cool and attractive to new players simply wouldn't exist at all, everyone would go back to the zero and the game would be absolutely empty. For new players I'm not sure how good it would be...

So many promises will never materialize. The idea that the game will support big battles is one. I mean, it can barely support small battles. It was never going to support battles as large as Eve's -- that's a fundamental part of how they designed the game with multi-crew ships, huge raycasting distances, high speeds, and voxel damage. 

I don't see the point in a wipe...but I don't agree that wiping will "make the servers dead", either. There's simply not enough beta players to matter -- obviously NQ doesn't want to just drop the few thousand subs they have...but if they all went away, it wouldn't be material.

They need to 10x or 20x their subs and if they believe a wipe would help them bring new people in, they will gladly sacrifice the tiny beta population. 

I doubt new players would care much either way -- we'll see how NQ revamps FTUE, but new players have plenty of hurdles beyond "the world is empty" -- if anything, that would be a bonus by making more hexes closer to markets available.

2 hours ago, Koffye said:

Something is odd. Messages in Discord appearing that they are seeing more ads for Dual universe on youtube. That would be harsh for first time user, if there will be a full wipe.

It is really puzzling that they would be running ads already...the FTUE is really horrid right now, regardless of wipe. I don't know how they expect first time players to stay interested. Have they bothered watching a new player try the game...? It isn't pretty. It's like they want people to churn, if they really are pushing ads.

I'd love to see the ad itself...curious if they are just recycling ads from beta or made something new. 

Not opposed to a wipe as much as I would be gutted the economy is destroyed because there is no Element Destruction or ore sinks/quanta sinks in DU.  I would say keep BP's and Talent points but everything else I can live with as it would mean everyone is equal from the 'start'.  That means trillions removed from the game, ore etc. anything abused from the past like schematics will go and should they bring in Ore in and ore out then it will be far more stable going forward!

just adding my point of view, dont care if you disagree.  If they full wipe, i am out.  

The only partial wipe i could stand is if they leave my BP(dont have to be magic), my talent points, my SCHEMATICS, and give alpha players 48 hrs play time before opening up servers for everyone else. I know many dont agree with schematics but i have spent many hours playing honestly buying those silly things and i wont do it again.  Plus i have designed many ships and sold bp to those ships which if they wipe and you can keep bp, it will be like stealing my designs because the people i sold to will already have the bp but i will be stripped of my money (which i have converted into schematics).  Plus many players have brought me their ships to fix voxels and customize,  these people will keep my modifications, but i again loose everything as i will be striped of money/schematics.

I dont agree to the philosophy of "if you cant figure out who did something wrong, punish everyone".  I have played this game honestly and dont think i deserve to be punished. They had said they would not wipe again unless absolutely necessary.  Most of the things people mention here about reasons to wipe can ALL be fixed in other methods, which means a wipe is not necessary for any of those reasons.  The only necessary reasons would be if data gets corrupted, or major programing issues that cant be fixed ANY other way.  

I just dont understand the whole reason people think everyone should be even.  there will always be players with more money/stuff then others.  the only thing a wipe will do is possibly change who those players are. Yes some cheated to get into being rich, but who is to say it wont happen again after a wipe, and honestly for the average player who cares who is the richest player or how they got there.  There is no limit to the number of people who can be rich in a game like DU.  If being rich is important to you , then spend the time and you can eventually be one of the wealthy. 

the abandoned buildings that some complain about can easily be removed without a NEED for a wipe, so this is no reason for a wipe.

and some say that a wipe is just normal for any game when moving from beta to full release,  But DU started charging fees for beta, which makes this not a Normal game development.  Once you start charging fees, you are already in a psuedo release state and so a wipe should not be done unless Absolutely necessary.

There is only 3 reasons for a wipe.  1, New game mechanic is not compatible with old mechanic. 2, Give new players a level playing field. (although new players are better off joining now as they can reap more benefits from others work.) 3, fix the perceived problem with economy (those that got cheap exploit schematics, however that is such a small part of the game wiping because of this would do more harm. 

And maybe a 4th reason of some fantasy that players will flock to DU on a wipe. But is that really going to happen?

Honestly, I can even agree with a partial wipe, as far as the only things that are kept are talent points and blueprints of the we had. Anything else beyond that (including magic blueprints and schematics) can and will be abused by players as a way to dump and hide money, elements, honeycomb, etc. The issue would still be there.

Also, the 48h makes no sense and would be a dream for anyone looking into claiming all decent tiles. Alpha players might have paid for the game first but right now what has been keeping the game up is coming from the pockets of Beta players who have subscriptions, you aren't any better or more special to have that sort of treatment.

42 minutes ago, Wolfram said:

Honestly, I can even agree with a partial wipe, as far as the only things that are kept are talent points and blueprints of the we had. Anything else beyond that (including magic blueprints and schematics) can and will be abused by players as a way to dump and hide money, elements, honeycomb, etc. The issue would still be there.

hmm  no, full wipe except skillpoints  or no wipe or somone has advantage ( time ist lost for factorybuilders cause no shematics, but not for shipbuilders or voxelmancerns)

Hi everyone,

Please don't open multiple threads on the same topic. It makes the global discussion harder to follow, and for this reason, this forum thread will be locked.

You have already a reply about the wipe topic here and we ask you to continue the discussion on this topic in this recent forum thread, with already more replies in it.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Nyzaltar.