NQ: Time to answer the question - Will there be a wipe?

Thunderblaze

Hi everyone,

You have already a reply about the wipe topic here and we ask you to continue the discussion in this forum thread (please do not open new threads or necropost old ones. This will not make the discussion easier to follow, quite the contrary in fact).  We know you want more details on the topic and we're working on giving you more information in the near future.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,
Nyzaltar. 

23 hours ago, blundertwink said:

Some will be mad, but I think there's a misunderstanding of the demographics if people think wiping the servers will "kill" the game.

The beta population is tiny. Too tiny to be a concern for NQ's bottom line. Especially betas on an actual subscription. 

The difference between keeping all the beta players and losing them all is almost immaterial at the scale they need to achieve to stay solvent.

They needs 10s of thousands of subs to turn things around. To maintain at the scale of their company today, they'd probably need near 100k subs -- and $12 million/year in revenue isn't even enough for a company of NQ's size and costs. 

So...NQ doesn't really care if every beta leaves because they decide to wipe or decide to not wipe. They'd rather keep us, sure...but they're going to do whatever believe will get them to that scale, and "will beta players leave" just isn't an important part of that calculation. 

I agree the beta players themselves represent a very small portion of the potential playerbase.  You fail to recognize that the beta players do represent 100% of the content, however.   So yeah there are a small number of players, but that small number is basically building the game FOR NovaQuark, and paying doe the privilege.  So my take is why would NQ remove all the content, just to level the playing field for new players to catch up with what you call a "tiny" number of players?  Seems to me they cam have their cake and eat it too by leaving everything as is and just pushing ahead with a launch.  I'm not an expert, but it just seems allowing your sandbox game to be built by countless hours of some of the most try-hard gamers around(myself included, not being derogatory there) would not be something you would want to undo, especially when your entire selling pitch is based on "player created world".   You make good points, it'll be interesting to see how it shakes out. 

I can just feel myself physically age with the excitement this causes...

Not a chance in hell those who threw first are gonna stick around next time. Have fun raging at loginscreen because there is a rush that exceeds normal population size and what's economically sane server capacities, then noticing a month later it's still the same game except you're months of grind from actually doing something fun.

Yay we're gonna play sooo hard, say the unemployed young adults -.-

2 hours ago, FerroSC said:

I agree the beta players themselves represent a very small portion of the potential playerbase.  You fail to recognize that the beta players do represent 100% of the content, however.

Not really. a good portion of currently active, or inactive with assets in game, beta key characters have no subscription. What they have in game will be abandoned at release as their accounts have their access removed. The idea that this will all be taken care of by the remaining players is skewed as it would pretty much only benefit the existing player base who have an understanding of this.

Then there is the ever-present perception, however much invalid, that the tens of thousands of new players NQ needs to show up at release will have an insurmountable level to catch up to compared to the existing players. Well, in a way there is some truth to that as the experience alone will be a very big advantage existing players have, even on a full wipe. Fact is that no matter how hard you will try to explain that this is not as severe as thought, many will not join up because of it. and NQ needs every single player they can get.

There is a lot of cool stuff to see in game yes, there is more junk and trash all over the place and not only is this looking bad, it's also hazardous, especially for new players who need to be able to get a foothold to stay with the game and not rage quit as they fly into some junk or a needle tower left behind somewhere.

Everything together it's just too much that would need to be cleaned up and so a wipe simply makes sense. If existing players get to keep and respec their accrued talent points and have blueprints from their constructs, they have a massive headstart either way.

To get back on topic though, if NQ has no intention of wiping then so be it, I feel the majority in favour are just that and they prefer to see a wipe. Not making the announcement, while I am certain NQ knows what they will do as I'd hope they have their plan towards release in place, only makes sense if the decision has been made to wipe. 

22 minutes ago, blazemonger said:

Not really. a good portion of currently active, or inactive with assets in game, beta key characters...

Every beta key was paid for by way of a previous game purchase so this idea of "beta key freeloaders" is unfounded.  Regardless of what those accounts have and what will happen to it I'd they fail to renew a sub, the gametime was still paid for somewhere by someone.  Regardless of payment status, the players in the game currently are the only people generating content.  That's indisputable.  They aren't making content because of what NQ has done, they are creating in *spite* of the setbacks and changes NQ has provided.   So to say "these players are so few they don't matter", which was the point of the comment I responded to, that statement is just not the whole story because the "so few beta players who don't matter" are in fact the only ones generating content and barring some significant additions to the game, these same players are the only ones that could provide any type of content on launch aside from "surface gather to build shitty speeder".   I'm not making any argument for what they should/will/might do.  I have no idea, but it seems with the previously implemented "magic blueprints" you could clear the game world and let the active beta players pick back up basically where they left off, without any of the other clutter remaining in the world.   It's the only way really the established orgs would possibly tolerate and continue to play through a full world wipe.    Fwiw, I think at this point NQ should just completely jump the shark and say this is going to be a web3 blockchain based game.  Lol.  Why not at this point?  

33 minutes ago, FerroSC said:

Every beta key was paid for by way of a previous game purchase so this idea of "beta key freeloaders" is unfounded.  

Not really, beta keys were perks and the cost of a pack was mostly coveringthe included DAC

Besides that, it's really not the point of the discussion whether the key was free or not.

2 hours ago, blazemonger said:

Not really, beta keys were perks and the cost of a pack was mostly coveringthe included DAC

I bought the founders pack because it had pets, collectibles and beta keys.  I actually inquired about buying more beta keys that I could give away and was told no.  The DACs werent even a factor in my decision. I am a multiple account player so i just let the subs renew on the credit card.  The beta keys were one of the key selling points for the packs, not an after thought.

Regardless, your point was "when all these players who aren't paying leave the game their shit will be abandoned because they won't pay for subs".  Right?  I'm just trying to piece together the idea.  Why are these beta key players not going to keep playing?  And if they do quit en masse as you say would happen, Why would the remaining players not be able cannibalize their abandoned stuff?  We got a dozen ships and players at the ready scouring for abandoned and forfeited constructs.  I guarantee my crew isn't the only ones.  Allowing these wrecks to be abandoned and litter the environment just creates more content:  salvaging, scouting, hauling and potentially pvp engagements over constructs in dangerous places...  all that potential content gets wiped for what?  I don't understand.  All content is player generated and there are many of those players on beta keys, yes, and many will likely not continue once the free ride ends, yes,  but the fact remains all content is player generated, regardless of how many or how few players there are and how those players earn their game time.   That's my point:  to hamstring content creation at this point in the process is just kinda silly. 

6 hours ago, blazemonger said:

Besides that, it's really not the point of the discussion whether the key was free or not.

Hey smart guy. Let me hit you with logic you have failed to even consider.

BETA KEY HOLDERS WILL JUST BUY A SUBSCRIPTION FOR THOSE ACCOUNTS.

Glad nobody thought of that before.

Edited by Snipey
Broken t key

@Snipey @FerroSC

Backers have spent money on the game early on, they have enjoyed free access during (pre)alpha and beta as a perk, On release is where the game is supposed to start for real and that is where their pre-purchased gametime (the DAC included in the packs, which is what actually represents the pack value) will come into play.

beta key accounts are accounts which have not spend any money on the game, they are literally freerolling during beta. You may speculate that many of these will just sub sure, I think it is far more likely that many of these accounts are already inactive and the player has left since they do not have the "attachment" the backers have. Also, many backers have used these keys for alts and of those alts some will live off of the DAC on the account, some will simply stop, and some may start a sub. 

Many backers bought additional packs to gain many alts in order to enrich their main account come release, based off of the (IMO incorrect) assumption that there would not be a wipe beyond beta. I actually think many in the "if NQ wipes, I quit" camp are such backers. They pretty much exploited the backer packs to build (extreme) wealth to eventually move all of that into their main account. And not just the wipe is a threat to that, the changes to orgs, the taxes, the core slots, it all plays against these exploits and thus the same group of players will rage and make lots of noise against it. Nothing new here, it happens across most sub based MMOs, but I am fairly certain this is a factor. And it is a factor which is not good for the game and part of the reason why I believe NQ will wipe prior to release.

Personally, I have four backer accounts. I bought them as I wanted to support the game. of all the beta keys I had, I have used 7 myself and gave the rest away. On release I have well over 4 years of DAC and do not expect DU to be around that long (I also expect NQ to either up the sub to $15 at launch or compensate backers for the devaluation of their packs by adding 30$ of the total DAC amount at launch), If I continue to play, I will probably keep 4 or 5 accounts active and drop the rest.

A wipe will not have any relevance to "a level playing field" as backers will keep their talent points and blueprints so they are well ahead anyway. It is about cleaning up the world and taking away a (misplaced) sense of an equal start for many who may otherwise not jump on as new players. And yes, eliminating the massive stockpiles and quanta account some have amassed during beta plays into that too.

I really believe it will be in the best interest of the game for NQ to wipe and am pretty sure they have made the call to do so some time ago. However, whether they do or not will not really impact me much. And I believe most who are in favour of a wipe are of the same mindset. So, this is not really a "yes/no" it is a "preferably yes/no" situation. And if NQ had decided to not wipe, they would have come out and say so by now as it makes absolutely no sense not to. And from that, it is entirely reasonable to assume that NQ either does not know yet, which would be really bad with release mere months away, or they will wipe and so will hold off on announcing until shortly before the moment it happens for justifiable reasons business wise. And that last option is the only one which makes any sense at this point.

As it stands, what is far more concerning to me than the question of a wipe is that NQ is going to go to release with a game which really still has not reached actual beta stages (frankly it's still in a pre-alpha state) and still has a lot of core features, many of which were part of the initial KS pitch, to get implemented. If the game survives long enough, it wil take them years to just get all that in with the way NQ operates. Their tone-deaf attitude towards their community which is still very much alive, despite many "we heard you and will do better" promises is another problem.

What is not considered in all the discussions here, in my eyes, are the players who would actually enjoy the current game, but have no desire to really invest time for months as long as this wipe thing is not clarified. 

It's really fascinating how casually people deal with life time that others have invested.

On 3/22/2022 at 9:24 AM, BlindingBright said:

Am debating not playing till this is answered fully. Even a partial wipe will be problematic and won't really solve any real issues... The community/game hasn't even fully settled from the construct slot changes yet.

This last post from NQ was poorly communicated: "This includes long time topics such as will there be a wipe at launch, Avatar vs. Avatar and DAC implementation. We appreciate your patience and we will have the answers for you as soon as we can."

Pretty boldly implies they don't have the answers to those questions, which are things they should know if they're planning to release after their next major update.... Which is worrying, and I hope is addressed ASAP.

This smells of the board of directors at NQ forcing release to happen, this year. They hired 
Nouredine Abboud to push this game to release in 2022, and by doing it mid year (6 or so months after they brought him on as CEO) they can watch the release numbers and decide how to proceed by the end of Q4 2022. From a investor stand point it makes complete sense, and either way will produce a result finally.

The issue is now this places the pressure on the development team to tie up the loose ends started years ago. I feel for the devs right now... they're stuck between a rock(investors), a hard place(development hell) on top of their customers with pitch-forks at the ready. Now is the time to be brutally honest, upfront- and fully transparent... not just about a wipe, but the state of the game and the plans going forward into launch and after.

You only get one chance to announce the full launch of your game, a footnote in a PTS update post that raises questions about the sate of the game and creating FUD is not it. 

Wipe is not a soluition to game issues or in any design errors in the game architecture. Wipe is just a necessary operation to maintain fair play when passing from a test  to an official version of game. Veteran players from Beta or Alpha can count  on their knowledges of the game, in their comunity/organization (necessary in any mmo) and eventually if SH agree to their BPs and it's already a huge advantage over players who will start the game for the first time. Now let's analyze the criticisms of the game, that need careful attention from the designers.

1) is this game a sandbox? if yes 

what players can do, any plausible decisions they make about how to play their game should be designed in such a way that none of the foreseeable and predictable aspects as well as possible scenarios are mortified by other styles of play. what has been said so far must be understood as a general principle that has nothing to do with the level of difficulty that each player with his own style of play and projects to be implemented will have to face in order for the latter to materialize.

2) Does the architecture of this game allow for easy insertion of new players, at any time they decide to start? if this is the case there are no problems if this is not the case ... it will be a game that in the long run will be only for a few and in particular for veteran players. which translated in layman's terms means short-lived game. since every mmo must promote and interest new players rather than favor veteran players as the latter will sooner or later stop playing when their interest curve is exhausted.

in this regard, for what I have been able to observe so far, there are obvious impediments, first of all the claim system and distribution of mineral resources, obviously as it is conceived it will always give birth to players who will have everything and players who they will have little nothing from their territories. thus generating a sort of monopoly of the total market by a few. Solution: Remove the ability to claim territory tiles and let players build where they want. Taxes will be applied to construction and not land. the resources will be extractable through the MUs as now the tier of resources will be determined by the difficulty of the areas of space in which the planets are located closer to the pvp the easier it will be to find high tier resources. the resources in order to be extracted will have to be scanned first and the results will determine their type and amount. at the same time these resources will be available for a week then it will be necessary to provide further research on the various planets ... this system will guarantee a balance for those who want to dedicate themselves to mining without creating lords of the resource market and at the same time giving greater depth to the career of miner.
3) Another aspect to consider in relation to the market is the consumption of manufactured goods. therefore destruction consumption due to wear, breakage and repairs will have to cyclically force the players to buy back the marketable goods.

4) as far as pvp is concerned I do not say a word as I have not had any experience yet and I let those who live off pvp speak.

5) Last but not least, the game must be seriously optimized because apart from the space, the FPS are dramatic, the incidents due to out-of-sync between client and server border on the ridiculous. The choice of an all-3d game is an ambitious project that other SH such as EA in the past have failed miserably now it needs to be made to work properly for at least medium and high-end PCs.
having said that we agree that a wipe will not solve all these problems but, not doing it in addition to not solving the same problems creates others.

On 3/22/2022 at 7:36 PM, Owl_Superb said:

Somewhere with-in these lyrics lies the answer:

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
Fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your hometown
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way

Tired of lying in the sunshine, staying home to watch the rain
You are young and life is long, and there is time to kill today
And then one day you find ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun

And you run, and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking
Racing around to come up behind you again
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death

Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time
Plans that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled lines
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
The time is gone, the song is over, thought I'd something more to say

Home, home again
I like to be here when I can
And when I come home cold and tired
It's good to warm my bones beside the fire

Far away across the field
The tolling of the iron bell
Calls the faithful to their knees
To hear the softly spoken magic spells

Wow, that brings back some memories. Nothing like Pink Floyd for some deep philosophy. 🙂

Problem is that even if everyone "restarts" at the same place, within a month the front runners will be so far ahead that they are actually behind you (possibly shooting at you)

Edited by Carnegie

On 3/22/2022 at 10:13 AM, blazemonger said:

JC has _never_ said there "would not be a wipe". In fact he very directly said they might wel lbe one closer to "release"

Where did JC say there would be a wipe? 

What he actually said was, here (1:30) the reason for a wipe would be "(there is) something that we need to fix and there is no other but to wipe to fix it. I don't see anything like that coming... it's something that would happen if we really had no choice..." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOp9nDzkxpc

Then he said here (58:26), when they were considering a terrain wipe for Alioth, "there would be a gold rush to get back to whatever you wanted. That's actually not a good idea. We decided that we would rather not do that. There has already been a lot of investment made by a lot of people to terraform very very substantial parts of the planets... It would be a very bad thing to say 'sorry guys, restart from scratch.'" And that was just on a terrain wipe. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ai3Kk37ntgg

Sure, NQ re-neged on the terrain wipe. (We all saw how that went.) It doesn't mean it's cool to reneg on game wipe as well.

On 3/23/2022 at 5:37 AM, Carnegie said:

so what is wrong with having a few rich people?  They add character to the game. This obsession with fairness is not natural.  I am not rich by any means, but I don't mind if others are, as they are either wonderful allies or a goal worthy of bringing down.

This isn't the kind of game where you have a score.  What is the actual need for a "level set" that is driving the wipe requests?

Better to have a few rich people, than no people at all. 

On 3/23/2022 at 10:55 PM, NQ-Nyzaltar said:

Hi everyone,

You have already a reply about the wipe topic here and we ask you to continue the discussion in this forum thread (please do not open new threads or necropost old ones. This will not make the discussion easier to follow, quite the contrary in fact).  We know you want more details on the topic and we're working on giving you more information in the near future.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,
Nyzaltar. 

There's something wrong with that hyperlink. [EDIT: Ah fixed. Had to remove an ampersand+'20' from the URL and insert a colon after the https. Forum bug?]

On 3/24/2022 at 4:36 PM, Carnegie said:

Wow, that brings back some memories. Nothing like Pink Floyd for some deep philosophy. 🙂

Problem is that even if everyone "restarts" at the same place, within a month the front runners will be so far ahead that they are actually behind you (possibly shooting at you)

This is how I view, more or less.

Anyone who thinks a hard reset will result in large scale equity or fairness is ignoring the nature of mmos. There will always be people who put in more effort and organize to greater success than others, especially if they have more experience with the game. In a matter of weeks the same gaps that exist now will manifest themselves again.

More opportunities don’t magically arise by knocking everyone back into the Stone Age.

My main concern is how big of a wipe will it be. Are we talking talents and/or quanta, not just materials? I imagine NQ will do what they do and try and walk a middle ground, ultimately pleasing no one. I don’t see anything remotely gained by it, though.

The construct abandonment system is in place for a reason and the clutter should sort itself out in time post-launch. Also, new players benefit from having player driven content/help. While I enjoy the mystique of launch day as much as anyone, I think that ship sailed when they started offering subs.

I wouldn’t be opposed to HQ status being reset and making it to where players have to manually set it after launch, though.

On 3/24/2022 at 9:18 AM, Neuritico said:

Wipe is not a soluition to game issues or in any design errors in the game architecture. Wipe is just a necessary operation to maintain fair play when passing from a test  to an official version of game.

I bought a subscription because there was a statement about there NOT being a wipe for release. The only exception would have been if it was an extreme case from a technical standpoint and all other options were exhausted. The partial wipe of the terrain alone is borderline, as is the corewipe that follows. basically, the game is becoming more and more restricted in its promised freedom without being expanded in any meaningful way. A sandbox-style MMO should offer more than DualUniverse currently does in order to survive on the market in the long term and expand more broadly over time.  

26 minutes ago, Novidian Prime said:

My main concern is how big of a wipe will it be. Are we talking talents and/or quanta, not just materials?

It doesn't make any difference, if you make a partial reset, it would be even more unfair, because depending on how you play, one player will be punished, another rewarded. Either there is a complete reset or none at all. Where I would prefer no reset and for new players then simply the new solar system, as it was addressed several times as a "suggestion".

Edited by Zarcata

On 3/26/2022 at 10:59 AM, Megabosslord said:

Where did JC say there would be a wipe?

Don't reverse the argument. Some claim that NQ has made the commitment not to wipe and that is simply not the case. The option of a wipe has always been on the table. Besides that, what JC did or did not say is irrelevant as he has said a lot of things we know to be fabrications, he was fired and new management has set a new course. 

I do not buy NQ has not made the decision to wipe yet. For a game expected to release this year, unless NQ really is clueless on basic business with regards to their way forward and internal gameplan/roadmap, they know whether they will wipe or not. There is one public document (a beta release press statement) which does say that there wil nt be a wipe, every single comment about it has left the option openif not directly hinted at it and looking at the current situation it is entirely reasonable to expect a wipe to happen as withholding a "we will not wipe again" statement makes no sense while holding out on announcing the wipe does.

6 hours ago, blazemonger said:

Don't reverse the argument. Some claim that NQ has made the commitment not to wipe and that is simply not the case. The option of a wipe has always been on the table. Besides that, what JC did or did not say is irrelevant as he has said a lot of things we know to be fabrications, he was fired and new management has set a new course.

I have been trying to understand you reasoning for a long while now, but it still does not make sense to me.

JC very clearly said they would like to avoid a wipe as long as it was technically feasible. How in the world does this translate into make a wipe more likely then not?

And JC no longer working at NQ does not change the fact that the main selling point of this game is a persistent building MMO, and that they have been selling subscriptions since the "soft release" while at the same time actively marketing the persistence part front and center. So a wipe now under such conditions would be a massive loss of credibility. Especially since they have already done a soft wipe with the mining bots.

Unfortunately, the "main reason" for the wipe is to help keep everyone, mostly the supposed surge of new players, competitive. The biggest issue I have with this is it  implies that there will be some large stream/flood of new players. This is most likely not going to happen. If we are going to be real, judging by claimed sanc tiles and the state of the servers, we might see a small trickle of new players and if some how it does end up flooding in the servers just strait up wont be able to handle it even with a quanta/construct wipe. We are already having issues with our smallish population but I very much worry about even 2-3x the current players. Any kind of wipe will end up with a net negative sub/active player wise most likely and runs counter to everything that was heavily implied. In regards to the economy exploits , they should of taken care of that with an iron fist instead of just tippy toeing around it just to maybe save a few subscribers. the "free" schematics should of been removed as soon as it happened, any kind of duping should have the items removed along with a temp ban and any alts associated should be as well so you cant just skirt the temp ban. 

The wipe narrative has been building since forever, first it was the wrecks + market bot disaster, then you had the subsequently broken economy (more like subjectively tainted, though people were destroying high tier ores for a quick buck, so market bots did have to stop), the 1-2 knockout combo in form of schematics and their price change, sprinkle in people makroing the toturial, the mining meta changes are strictly speaking problematic to fairness too, but before that it was the (not so) finite supply of juicy nodes... Oh and don't forget to soapbox in the guy who thought it was funnier to dismantle a market than to submit a bug report.

Recently we hear a lot of gorillionaire betakey whale talk. It's fairly simple, release some goddamn stats NQ, so we can make up our minds instead of spinning narrative. Richest ten accounts, average and median wealth. Also if there truely is an issue, it should be fairly simple to know who has flown an inordinate amount of missions, and what accounts tend to deliver missions closely one after another, and are possibly linked to a single IP and other redflags.

If they are to achieve a persistent world, they need to be able to fix the worst transgressions, and people need to find a way to be okay whatever trickled down from it. So let me say it in a way that is much quicker albeit less diplomatic.

They wipe and I'm not happy with my new luck? What's to stop me from riding those slippery slopes all the way down to hell? Blow up every unforseen incident, unfairness, exploits etc. Really work to get these memories into people's heads and stir up discontent. If NQ goes: "this time for real everybody step in lets gooooo", they have very very little room for error, and there frickin better ought to be no exploits pulled out of somebody's sleeve. What's to stop me from being super pedantic and bringing up all the good quotes that argued for wipe, a few years down the road. New CEO man must love the prospect to sell the product "launch" again, polish his numbers a little, and worst case ride those very numbers into a new job.

2 hours ago, CyberDay said:

Unfortunately, the "main reason" for the wipe is to help keep everyone, mostly the supposed surge of new players, competitive. 

No it's not, as the wipe will not achieve that.

The day after the wipe, the few big orgs that are left will have a good part of their infractructure back up and running while the "little guy" will still struggle to get his base foundation set up. And that is fine, there is power and advantage in numbers and there always will be.

5 hours ago, blazemonger said:

So why would they wipe?  You still haven't given a reason that couldn't easily be accomplished without a wipe.

You keep bringing up that a wipe has always been on the table, but the context of the statements that you're referring to make it incredibly clear that they will not wipe for any of the reasons that you've suggested.

You can make all the predictions you want.  But when you manipulate the truth to back them up it kind of makes it seem like you're just here to change the outcome in your favor.  

I know you don't care whether they wipe or not, but there are about a hundred posts on here in the last month that seem to suggest otherwise.

23 hours ago, blazemonger said:

The day after the wipe, the few big orgs that are left will have a good part of their infrastructure back up and running while the "little guy" will still struggle to get his base foundation set up. And that is fine, there is power and advantage in numbers and there always will be.

I'm not saying that that line of thinking is correct, but its the only thing line of thinking I could come up with that might even start to explain why someone would think wiping 1+ years worth of content from a game, when player made content is really the only real "content" to it. Other games are releasing expansions right now, BDO, New World, etc. And instead of trying to add depth to the game, they just want to hit the reset button. It literally makes no sense to me.