Thoramine

Thunderblaze

JC mentioned that it will be useful in the future and to hold on to it if you have it. That was a long time ago back when he was CEO. If NQ honours JC’s statement then it will have a use.

Edited by Sostraphaios

17 hours ago, Overstimuloredom said:

My bet is that it will be used for DAC but that is pure speculation.

I think the original plan was for it to be used as a fuel, or part of item needed to travel to other solar systems. 

1 hour ago, Distinct Mint said:

With only a few players having access to this, I don't see it being used for anything at all, unless NQ release a substantial faucet in the future.

Beautiful thing about asteroids/the upcoming alien stuff, they can always be added in when demand needs it. 

For the new people, Thoramine was just a way for JC to LARP he was the dude in ready player one. Nothing more.  What he forgot was ready player one is a fiction movie and you can make up whatever you want to make the story worth while. In real life the Dual Universe nerds solved the puzzle instantly.  With JC even on record saying he thought it would take "years" to solve.  Shocking when real life doesn't pan out like a movie right. 

6 hours ago, VandelayIndustries said:

For the new people, Thoramine was just a way for JC to LARP he was the dude in ready player one. Nothing more.  What he forgot was ready player one is a fiction movie and you can make up whatever you want to make the story worth while. In real life the Dual Universe nerds solved the puzzle instantly.  With JC even on record saying he thought it would take "years" to solve.  Shocking when real life doesn't pan out like a movie right. 

Also shocking when people RP as a deeply narcissistic genius obsessed about 80s references. Halliday's metaverse was a nightmare realm of inequality. 

Unlike many of the superwealthy in history who become charitable when they become old...his choice was to say "meh, whatever" and not use his wealth for good...but to satisfy his ego one last time with a silly contest -- because that is a great way to decide the fate of trillions of dollars. 

I see a lot of parallels with Halliday and people trying to develop a metaverse / web3 -- the read books like this as an inspiration when they were intended to be a cautionary tale. 

7 hours ago, VandelayIndustries said:

It also highlighted a recurring problem with DU designing special content  for the few with resources and time to solve such puzzles, while the majority of players are delegated to the sidelines feeling left out. Don't get me wrong. Special events are cool, but they should come AFTER there is enough general content for normal players to enjoy the game, not before.

1 hour ago, blundertwink said:

I see a lot of parallels with Halliday and people trying to develop a metaverse / web3 -- the read books like this as an inspiration when they were intended to be a cautionary tale. 

It is hard to re-frame your opinions later in life for something that had a big impact and shaped you at an early age and was 'cool as shit'. So we all have our own personal version of such works in our mind, versions that often does not reflect the actual real thing at all.

I have for example certain 80's cartoons placed on a pedestal in my mind. Cartoons that I make a conscious decision to never re-watch, knowing it would utterly ruin them.

16 hours ago, Distinct Mint said:

With only a few players having access to this, I don't see it being used for anything at all, unless NQ release a substantial faucet in the future.

Especially since a significant amount of it was RWT'd. It should probably just all be wiped at this point.

• 2 weeks later...