Ship repairing - suggestions for improvements

Reg_AU

I've become quite familiar with repairing my fleet.  This is due to internet disconnections and issues with my pc.  I believe the current process can be very unfair to players like me, who for no fault of their own, are faced with numerous repairs.

I've noticed that even a small to moderate 'bump' will kill the avatar and damage the ship extensively, requiring up to 1000 exotic scrap units. to repair in a reasonable time  I'd suggest that the level required for death and extensive damage be raised to, say, 80%.  Further more, the deletion of scrap carried on the Avatar or in the Ship's containers, is quite harsh when the minor damage occurs, this includes deletion of any pure ingots or ores used to nanocraft scraps (also including deletion of other carried inventory).

I would also like to suggest the introduction of a level 2/super/epic/professional Repair Tool.  One that can undertake repairs in one step instead of the current two, and, repair much quicker than the current tool.  Such a tool could be purchased from the system or crafted, but with a heavy price to reflect it's superior qualities.  Having this would reduce the 'grind' of repairing an extensively damaged large M or L ship, allowing the player to continue meeting their game goals for the session, rather than 'grinding' for 2 hours doing repairs - especially after an internet disconnection etc., which they had no control over.

6 hours ago, Reg_AU said:

Further more, the deletion of scrap carried on the Avatar or in the Ship's containers, is quite harsh when the minor damage occurs

Nothing is ever deleted from the containers when you take damage. If you're experiencing that, it's a bug and should be reported as such.

The damage calculation/propagation does need an overhaul - just ask anyone slightly touching the light posts when landing on a market...

6 hours ago, Reg_AU said:

I would also like to suggest the introduction of a level 2/super/epic/professional Repair Tool

I'd prefer NQ makes the already existing "Repair unit" actually *repair* items using scrap instead of just switching damaged elements for new ones.

3 hours ago, Yoarii said:

Nothing is ever deleted from the containers when you take damage. If you're experiencing that, it's a bug and should be reported as such.

That is true. But if the container is wrecked then scrap becomes unavailable until repaired, and combined with avatar inventory loss on death this leads to a catch 22 for repairing unless you force a respawn elsewhere to get some scrap and travel back with a second ship.

Which may now lead to a new problem with how you are going to pilot both ships back again..

Here's a hack for you, assuming you have a s or larger core.

Dock a xs core with just a small container of scrap and a resnode. Since this docked ship doesn't get the same physics calculations done it will not take damage.

Secondly look at your talents for vertical boosters/hovers, wing lift, etc. Having more piloting talents will help you crash less often. Alternatively you could max out repair skills so that less scrap is needed.

Lastly, your nanopack contents (excluding data items) will be deleted on death of the seat. So either don't carry scrap on you, or jump out of the seat if you know you will die or force close the game then use the fetch tool.

Ok, ok... One last thing, try using an AGG, that would stop you from overloading your ship. A m-core needs a small, and a large needs a medium. The in game Lua doesn't really work so I didn't really want to mention this option for a new player.