Quality of Live improvement suggestions

Carnegie

- mining units : it would be great to have lights on them so I can see status without having to open them up.
                                red:         something is wrong .. container is full, efficiency is at zero, links are broken, etc.

yellow:    mining unit is operating but it outside the stable calibration time window and efficiency is declining

green:      mining unit is operating normally within the calibration time window (these are the ones I don't have to open up)

- industry: similar to above, add a yellow light to show that it stopped production due to reaching the maintain limit, but nothing is wrong

- using ship maneuver tool on space stations. Reduce the boarding range or be more accurate using the actual cross section to determine if I am actually boarded when standing on space station surface.

- PvP: see explosions and weapons fire (laser beams, missile trails, railgun streaks, etc.) from external view.  Hard to fly and fire a small fighter craft using remote and watch the effects at the same time. Constant switching screens with insert. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but it feels very clunky - seems like a undergrad college project interface, not a multimillion dollar game, lol.

Thanks!

Edited by Carnegie

Lua is coming... You will be able to use a screen or RGB light to indicate the status. But yes, a simple light, like we have on the factory elements might be nice.
My MUs stop spinning if the output container is full, but not if they've reached 0%.

Another thought is to improve the asteroid mining experience.

- I understand the purpose and need for multiple stages of discovery, but having 5 steps instead of 4 crosses the searching experience over from "immersive" to annoying.

It just isn't worth the time and repetition for the small amount of ore that is in the asteroid.  Double their size and triple (or more) the amount of ore inside.

1. Make it worth the effort 

2. take longer to mine everything - thus allowing more time for pirates to show up

3. create behavioral content by needing to set up defenses to protect your ship while underground - could be a way to test out surface-to-air-space based combat.

4. because the defenses would  be deployed in one place for the duration of the mining op, they should be strong enough give the pirates a good fight. After all, the pirates can always run away.

-  Perhaps allow organizations to set up a base on asteroids with limited rights, but the ability to defend itself from strangers (even when offline). The locations would still be public (since they are broadcast) but now they have teeth.  Once the ore is gone, the asteroid could be used as a fuel or parts & repair depot.

To give more detail on a better PvP experience:

Provide the option to have a visual HUD interface for the gunner seat to be able to target and see weapons fire and damage effects in 3rd person view.

There is a lot of 3-D location context that you can't get from a list of numbers. Targeting ships that you are heading towards but not the closest in the list is one example.

As far as the upcoming rebalancing, having voxel honeycomb armor should have a role, keep using Core Stress for extreme cases but not for a typical situation. Being able to specify general location of targets would be cool, so you can try to take out the engines only. Then voxel armor could protect vital areas as a design tradeoff.

If that is too hard, then specify from a list of    [general attack (as default), shield, core, engines, weapons, inventory, control seat, adjustors, brakes] as a priority damage goal for weapons fire.

Also I know there is a filter for inventory but it would also be convenient to be able to sort by type (then within that, by name) without filtering.

(I would have that as my default setting)

Edited by Carnegie

- Change autominers so they auto calibrate to 90-100% using 1 charge over time. Use manual calibration for those that want to spawn surface rock but maybe x2 the surface or spawned

- Mirror mode in 3 axis

- dismantle to container

- remove scematics

- remove excessive amounts of equipment tiers (reduce clutter and easier balance)

- boost existing equipment to reduce walls of engine/wings and so on.

- make weapons buildable with T1 ore (i might be wrong here but seem to recall weapons required high grade ore)

- increase ore output, so it is optimized towards 1 casual player and not the dedicated 24/7 player/org

- publicly flog the entire staff at NQ so they learn that punishment is not fun gameplay

7 hours ago, Kurosawa said:

- Change autominers so they auto calibrate to 90-100% using 1 charge over time. Use manual calibration for those that want to spawn surface rock but maybe x2 the surface or spawned

- Mirror mode in 3 axis

- dismantle to container

- remove scematics

- remove excessive amounts of equipment tiers (reduce clutter and easier balance)

- boost existing equipment to reduce walls of engine/wings and so on.

- make weapons buildable with T1 ore (i might be wrong here but seem to recall weapons required high grade ore)

- increase ore output, so it is optimized towards 1 casual player and not the dedicated 24/7 player/org

- publicly flog the entire staff at NQ so they learn that punishment is not fun gameplay

This is why we can't have nice things. None of these ideas will be added as they are just making the game easier for you.

On 3/10/2022 at 4:15 PM, Carnegie said:

- mining units : it would be great to have lights on them so I can see status without having to open them up.
                                red:         something is wrong .. container is full, efficiency is at zero, links are broken, etc.

yellow:    mining unit is operating but it outside the stable calibration time window and efficiency is declining

green:      mining unit is operating normally within the calibration time window (these are the ones I don't have to open up)

- industry: similar to above, add a yellow light to show that it stopped production due to reaching the maintain limit, but nothing is wrong

- using ship maneuver tool on space stations. Reduce the boarding range or be more accurate using the actual cross section to determine if I am actually boarded when standing on space station surface.

- PvP: see explosions and weapons fire (laser beams, missile trails, railgun streaks, etc.) from external view.  Hard to fly and fire a small fighter craft using remote and watch the effects at the same time. Constant switching screens with insert. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but it feels very clunky - seems like a undergrad college project interface, not a multimillion dollar game, lol.

Thanks!

So I have auto miner lua that does exactly what you want however, due to emitter and receivers being super limited I really only use it as a display rather than sending data back to my ship/base. In reality I have a spreadsheet.

I also have industry Lua that does similar for monitoring ore. Ive done some other industry stuff but honestly when you get to having 500+ transfer units it's just not possible to have Lua running on everything.

The maneuver tool issue I get. It sucks.

The pvp problem is also solved by other pvp huds on the market.

So I disagree with almost everything. The point of the game is building (for me) and all of these suggestions would take away from the game (for me). I think you should do more research and try creating your own Lua.

2 hours ago, space_man said:

This is why we can't have nice things. None of these ideas will be added as they are just making the game easier for you.

Care to explain that a bit, the name of the thread is "Quality of Live improvement suggestions" all the suggestion will make life easier. Well except the last one perhaps.

Change autominers so they auto calibrate to 90-100% using 1 charge over time. Use manual calibration for those that want to spawn surface rock but maybe x2 the surface or spawned

> Removes pointless and repetitive "game loop" and allows manual calibrations for extra ore

Mirror mode in 3 axis

> building in mirror mode is awesome, if you want to try it From the depths has 1  axis and starmade had 3 axis mirror mode

Dismantle to container

> Dismantling a construct straight to a container so you do not have to hunt for that 1 voxel and manually dismantle

Remove scematics

> they didn't add anything to the game and only block game play

Remove excessive amounts of equipment tiers (reduce clutter and easier balance)

> Granted this might just be me, but i fell NQ just copied EvE but with out the skills and knowledge CCP has

Boost existing equipment to reduce walls of engine/wings and so on.

> Today you need tons of equipment, increasing power of equipment would lower the volume count.

Yes some will just slap more on, but that is fine as well as long as the over all requirement drops

Make weapons buildable with T1 ore (i might be wrong here but seem to recall weapons required high grade ore)

> This will allow casual or people with little time/resources to slap a T1 rocket together and go pewpew. For reference think n EvE T1 frigate/cruiser

Increase ore output, so it is optimized towards 1 casual player and not the dedicated 24/7 player/org

> Increase ore output = more building = more fun for a larger audience, not everyone can play 24/7 with 50 alts

Publicly flog the entire staff at NQ so they learn that punishment is not fun gameplay

> many if not all NQ idea revolve around some kind of punishment. you get more with a carrot then a stick basic game design and physiology.

NQ should be spanked for (almost) tanking what started out as the best game ever.

1 hour ago, Kurosawa said:

Care to explain that a bit, the name of the thread is "Quality of Live improvement suggestions" all the suggestion will make life easier. Well except the last one perhaps.

Change autominers so they auto calibrate to 90-100% using 1 charge over time. Use manual calibration for those that want to spawn surface rock but maybe x2 the surface or spawned

> Removes pointless and repetitive "game loop" and allows manual calibrations for extra ore

Mirror mode in 3 axis

> building in mirror mode is awesome, if you want to try it From the depths has 1  axis and starmade had 3 axis mirror mode

Dismantle to container

> Dismantling a construct straight to a container so you do not have to hunt for that 1 voxel and manually dismantle

Remove scematics

> they didn't add anything to the game and only block game play

Remove excessive amounts of equipment tiers (reduce clutter and easier balance)

> Granted this might just be me, but i fell NQ just copied EvE but with out the skills and knowledge CCP has

Boost existing equipment to reduce walls of engine/wings and so on.

> Today you need tons of equipment, increasing power of equipment would lower the volume count.

Yes some will just slap more on, but that is fine as well as long as the over all requirement drops

Make weapons buildable with T1 ore (i might be wrong here but seem to recall weapons required high grade ore)

> This will allow casual or people with little time/resources to slap a T1 rocket together and go pewpew. For reference think n EvE T1 frigate/cruiser

Increase ore output, so it is optimized towards 1 casual player and not the dedicated 24/7 player/org

> Increase ore output = more building = more fun for a larger audience, not everyone can play 24/7 with 50 alts

Publicly flog the entire staff at NQ so they learn that punishment is not fun gameplay

> many if not all NQ idea revolve around some kind of punishment. you get more with a carrot then a stick basic game design and physiology.

NQ should be spanked for (almost) tanking what started out as the best game ever.

Your asking to do less and have more. Not sure what there is much else to explain, but those of us who have gotten far didn't do so over night.

I'm guessing you also want a wipe?

There's more to the game than what your seeing, and things mentioned would lead to exploits, take dismantle to container for example. If you could instantly take something down, in pvp space that would give you a huge advantage if you use that to prevent losses.

Also the suggestion about flogging the staff is going to get you a ban.

Careful with the assumptions, we have different play styles and visions for what is fun, but that does not mean we fit in to specific categories, it's not all black and white.

As for a wipe, that would not solve anything around game play, sure the first 1-2 day everyone will be at the same level but at the end of week 2 we will be back where we are now.

only valid reason for wipe is major DB or coding errors that cannot be solve in any other way.

Dismantling in PVP, good example but not really a problem. that is exactly what coding a game involves

eg this pseudo code.< if construct has recieved or cause damange then disallow dismantle >

Industrial Suggestions:

On one of the interviews with NQ, the NQ person was surprised that the host had 1200 transfer units in his factory.  I suspect that number (which seems big to me too) is due to the limits on how many input/output ports exists on containers and industrial equipment.

If the current limit went from 10 to 15 (or 16 if you are a hex kind of guy), then there would be much less need for transfer units. I suppose early on it was part of the design to encourage players to find clever ways around these limitations, but the side effect is extra server load and more complicated factories. 

2.  Add a feature in transfer units to move by a  ratio or percentage of the source containers qty. It would simplify things greatly if one could split the contents between two containers about evenly (or some other ratio) rather than just being limited to an absolute amount maintain limit. Why do I want to do this? I need more than 10 links to the materials inside the container without starving one side or the other.

I don't know if this is possible in Lua, but many people don't have the time or inclination (willingness to deal with debug headaches) to learn a new programming language.

Edited by Carnegie

On 3/14/2022 at 10:15 AM, space_man said:

The pvp problem is also solved by other pvp huds on the market.

I don't see why I have to go  to a 3rd party solution for what should be in the game.  I don't trust outside software as it hasn't always been tested and may have strange side effects. One of which may be to trigger the EQU8 anti-cheat system and then I get banned. No thanks.

Also it isn't just me. If we want to have decently sized PvP population in space wars, then it should be fun out of the box.