Checking in...

Pleione

You missed the point, I think any changes in that context would come _following_ the wipe, not before. That includes changes in policy regarding exploits and things like limiting the height at which you can place static cores to prevent the needle towers to reappear post wipe. My point is that I expect NQ knows they will wipe and so, putting effort and resources in to all of that now would be a waste from that perspective which would in turn also explain some of the choices made so far.

Frankly, NQ should have learned quite a lot from what players have done and how it has impacted the world and/or posed risks to others. It would make sense to aggregate all that during this time and then fix it all in one swoop at the same time you do a wipe. To me, that course of action makes perfect sense and it's also pretty normal to see happen during the stage of development the game is in. By overreaching with the "beta" label and charging money for access, NQ limited their options in fixing in place and as they went so they will now do all that in one go, prior to release and including a single wipe. Now obviously their choices (or JC's choices I'd expect) would also mean they need to get this right in one go as they get one opportunity to fix it all, since I believe the date for release is set in stone and approaching pretty rapidly.

Wasn't there some talk long ago about new tech only applying to new planets?  A wipe would allow them to create a consistent environment.  I can't see them going "Ok - we are production now, but the original solar system is using an older tech to the new one..."

Before beta NQ was supposed to include new planet tools to create the planets, that got pushed and they were going to do a wipe post beta launch to bring it in but were "convinced" by some player groups to not do that. JC then promised that this tech would come in the form a new solar system instead, which never happened and as it stands there is no indication it will.

Frankly, I could see NQ wanting to bring in that tech on release and that would then add another good argument/reason for a wipe.

5 hours ago, blazemonger said:

and that would then add another good argument/reason for a wipe.

What was the first argument/reason?  Just removing constructs from sanctuary, that could easily be removed with abandonment?

They just reset the planetary terrain.  And they could do it again if they needed too.  Although it seems unlikely after all the trouble they went to helping people dig out their underground bases.  If they were planning to wipe that would seem like a pretty big waste of dev time.

Even if they did need to do another terrain wipe, there's no reason they would need to wipe Quanta.  And I don't see why they would need to redistribute the ore pools, or unclaim territories either.

If it can easily be done without a wipe, it isn't an argument for a wipe.

There is currently no reason to wipe progress, except to provide another "fresh start".  And doing that after they already sold the experience once would be dishonest, but more importantly it devalues their product.  Who wants to play a persistent world game that gets reset every time it might be more profitable?

You keep claiming that there's no such thing as a "level playing field" but resetting territory claims and Quanta and schematics would be a huge leveling of the playing field.

If you don't think NQ has any intention of leveling the playing field, or you think that's not what anyone is asking for (despite the OP clearly asking for it), i don't understand why you keep desperately grasping at reasons for it to happen.

Edited by Atmosph3rik

5 hours ago, Atmosph3rik said:

i don't understand why you keep desperately grasping at reasons for it to happen.

Because I'm not and this is really just in your mind. I expect NQ will wipe. I can see plenty of resons why. You expect they won't and refuse to even consider (by simply ignoring/dismissing them) any resons that may be brought up. That's fine, it also means there is no point in arguing this with you. We will know in a few months who was right and who was not.. 

1 hour ago, blazemonger said:

Because I'm not and this is really just in your mind. I expect NQ will wipe. I can see plenty of resons why. You expect they won't and refuse to even consider (by simply ignoring/dismissing them) any resons that may be brought up. That's fine, it also means there is no point in arguing this with you. We will know in a few months who was right and who was not.. 

I don't expect they won't, i hope they won't.  I'm just pointing out that what you're suggesting they should do, is something that would be dishonest and bad for the game.

If progress needs to be wiped, for a reason, then it needs to be wiped.  If it doesn't, then it doesn't.  That's a simple fact that leaves me wondering why you think they're going to wipe?

If you can see plenty of reasons, you've only shared two.  And i dismissed them because they can easily be accomplished without wiping progress.

Edited by Atmosph3rik

Somehow them gambling evertything on a flawless (exploitfree) launch while making swooping changes to what is allowed on several gamemechanics, rests on less hypotheses than this:

"They just reset the planetary terrain.  And they could do it again if they needed too.  Although it seems unlikely after all the trouble they went to helping people dig out their underground bases.  If they were planning to wipe that would seem like a pretty big waste of dev time."

Just because NQ admitted they were flushing money down the toilet by us downloading hundreds of megabytes of tunnel data in atmospheric flight.

Somehow them gradually self-sabotaging so everybody can agree on a wipe passes occrams razor easier and you are the objective one in this blazemonger...

48 minutes ago, Atmosph3rik said:

I'm just pointing out that what you're suggesting they should do, is something that would be dishonest and bad for the game.

I have not once "suggested what NQ should do", I have stated what I expect/hope they will do as well as been clear that, while I believe it would be a mistake, can accept it if they do not as it does not really affect me and/or my play style either way.

You are entitled to have your opinion sure, which is all it is, but I do not share it.