Checking in...

Pleione

Been away for quite some time (since October 31st, 2020).  Curious is somebody could give me a recap:

Is beta over?  (e.g. Has the game gone "Production")

If not, has there been any talk of a wipe (sans perhaps blueprints) before going Production?

Is there a current roadmap (last I saw ended last year)?

No, the game is still in alpha (not feature complete), but is expected to go to release late this year or early next. 

No, no talk of a wipe except on the forum every third post -- no confirmation one way or another about this as we all expect. 

This is the latest update to the roadmap -- it isn't really a roadmap so much as a history of past changes (you may find very useful) and their current "in progress" feature. 

I'm not sure why they bumped new player experience from being next, because new player experience is broken right now with the last updates to mining -- but my guess is they don't care about new players and just want to get the game release ready, so will wait until as much feature dev is done before coming back to FTUE. 

Thanks.  Miss the game, but won't be back unless there is a level setting wipe at some point.  Unfortunately "Late this year, early next year" is a chant we have heard a time or two before (I joined the community back in early 2018).  All I've been seeing is PVP this, PVP that (other than the massive change to the mining approach).  Hope they realize not everyone is PVP minded and a massive industrial base is going to need to be created to support all the PVP activities.  Maybe real world events will wake them up.

-.- can we please wipe so the guy who hasnt read a devblog for 16 months blesses us with his presence for two and a half weeks

what was it can't turn a profit turning ore into intermediaries or some other thing nobody needs help for, or are you convinced all juicy spots are allready sucked dry...?

Sorry for the salt but I'd be surprised if it wasn't one of these reoccurring easily debunked memes.

[filtered] like you caused me to leave Over...  I spent 3 years playing the game, wrote the friggen 30+ page FAQ the support team used back when there was one on Discord.  What have you contributed besides vile?  And yeah... I have been reading the devblogs when I catch them.

3 minutes ago, Pleione said:

[filtered] like you caused me to leave Over...  I spent 3 years playing the game, wrote the friggen 30+ page FAQ the support team used back when there was one on Discord.  What have you contributed besides vile?  And yeah... I have been reading the devblogs when I catch them.

I don't really care what you've contributed.  Nothing earns you the right to demand they tear it all down because you're bored.

It's so mind numbingly selfish.

This community has become so much meaner...it's pointless and petty. 

Someone stating that they'd rather not return unless there's a wipe isn't "demanding" anything. It's stating their opinion, which they have every right to. 

This sort of rhetoric is really not helpful -- twisting a simple and commonly expressed opinion into a "demand" so that you can frame someone you don't know as "selfish" is not productive communication. 

28 minutes ago, Overstimuloredom said:

It's not even an opinion, it's a principle, a principle that rules out that he's coming back so no I'm not concerned about antogonising him.

Being respectful isn't optional. Antagonizing someone isn't allowed. 

The first two rules of this forum are: 

1. Be respectful and courteous
  2. Communicate constructively

If you can't do that, you shouldn't be posting here. 

55 minutes ago, blundertwink said:

Someone stating that they'd rather not return unless there's a wipe isn't "demanding" anything. It's stating their opinion, which they have every right to. 

No.  Let’s be real here, it’s not just an opinion on the game.  It’s an opinion about MY progress and enjoyment of the game.  If they wanted to start fresh they are welcome to.  But they are demanding that NQ force me to start fresh, because they think leveling the playing field might possibly re-ignight their interest in the game.  

that’s a demand.  And it’s selfish.  

There is many who left once it became clear the game has been polluted with the fallout of exploits left unhandled, with clear and disrupting bugs and issues that, to be fully resolved, really call for a wipe.

Those saying it is not something NQ is considering very clearly have not been paying attention, besides it making perfect sense to do so, let us once more and very clearly take not that yes, there is ONE mention of a "no wipe" situation in a press release from around beta but EVERYTHING ELSE NQ has said about it has both left the option firmly on the table and has never set any conditions for it not to happen. 

A wipe will make sense in that it will be required to eliminate the remnants of accounts that will leave the game and not return once the game launches, it will also offer an opportunity for NQ to market an option to sell post release subscriptions to those who have a beta key.

So far, NQ has very nicely kept up with the timeline towards release I have often talked about. So here's what I expect to come next..

• Athena arrives first half of June (late spring as it is announced)
  • The next patch, with mostly polish, fixes and some minor additions to the game will follow first half of September (end of summer) after which NQ will feature freeze. 
  • Second half of October NQ will announce release for late fall, which will be first half of December and a full wipe 2-4 weeks before the planned release date.
  • On this wipe, beta keys will be invalidated, those with DAC on their account will be able to participate in the head start following that wipe and on to release while for other players (and probably in general), the option will be offered to buy a 3, 6 or 12 month subscription which will include a staggered entry into the head start period.

Just speculative obviously, but I can see this be an entirely possible and viable timeline..

Seems to extrapolate on the rythm of progress we have seen in what I'd call the "JC era".

Not so much in line with what has happened the last half year, I'd argue athena implies they are hellbent on pushing something they can brand as a milestone every 2-3 months. Do of that what you will.

The thing that bothers me about wipe: if a level playing field is a necessity, a persistant world becomes futile. It implies just as much that you shouldn't bother joining the game 15 months after the wipe/launch. If your fun in this game is that reliant on starting the first second the server launches, if the game can not adopt over time to provide beginners a decent and engaging baseline, then the whole concept of DU is pointless. The persistent world is the "alleinstellungsmerkmal" (unique proposition) of the game.

I think instinct for wiping stems from what we observe with comparable games (crafting/sandbox/survival), the dedicated server gets stale you start anew. It is seducingly simple yet in this case fallacious because it does not take into account dual universe's unique feature proposition. The whole game is designed around this. Freaking recipes that take 18h and stuff. Yes they want us to subscribe over long periods of time, it's the whole business model, good morning sunshine.

Remember when terrain bugged during mining and became uneditable... If NQ said, well sorry folks, this thing sits too deep, we need to wipe EVERYTHING (unplausible i know know, but can i do this example in less than 800 words?). I'd say, well shit ok. If it's about wealth inequality find another solution, because ultimatively us keeping our talents wouldn't be "fair" either... But fififiltered I paid those skills with like 2 years of my life, get over yourself the game was here waiting for you.

3 hours ago, blundertwink said:

This community has become so much meaner...it's pointless and petty. 

This sort of rhetoric is really not helpful -- twisting a simple and commonly expressed opinion into a "demand" so that you can frame someone you don't know as "selfish" is not productive communication. 

I personally don’t agree with the OP’s views at all but this I 100% agree with.

5 hours ago, blazemonger said:

There is many who left once it became clear the game has been polluted with the fallout of exploits left unhandled, with clear and disrupting bugs and issues that, to be fully resolved, really call for a wipe.

With the advent of mission money most of the early exploits where a few people got cheap schematics/resources are not even ripples in the water anymore.. Sure it's lame it happened & NQ didn't do much/anything about it at the time, but overall the economy and state of the game isn't heavily affected by them at this point in time(in my humble opinion)

100 bucks a month in subs and a whale can churn 200-400mil a day easy.  A month and these players are starting to eclipse the blip on the radar that was cheap schematics and money people made from selling honeycomb to bots lol. 

Simply by NQ changing the gameplay/state of play by introducing new mechanics they've "wiped"- it was just on a live service. If/when they go out of Beta they need to be able to show they can manage a persistent game world that can be managed over years of gameplay, even when things go wrong/become unbalanced from new changes. We've already experienced several soft-wipes in beta, initially with schematics, territory upkeep, and core slot changes.

So the question I ask, what really does a full wipe accomplish besides deleting the game world players are building for release and "leveling" the playing field for those that see players progress in beta is not valid, because "beta". I argue the majority calling for a wipe do not play much, and or, just want to watch the world burn... and unlike most games, players are creating the content for... the game. Seams silly to wipe that out.

1 hour ago, BlindingBright said:

So the question I ask, what really does a full wipe accomplish besides deleting the game world players are building for release and "leveling" the playing field for those that see players progress in beta is not valid, because "beta". 

It will remove all the junk and the stuff left in the game once the beta keys expire. As such a wipe will not erase talent point, only return them to the pool, there really is no "level playing field" and frankly that is not an argument anyone who understands why the wipe will happen ever uses as it is not part of the discussion in that regard. It is something a few like yourself keep injecting as you either do not understand the argument or choose to be blind to it.

There would not be a full wipe like we had prior to beta. The world would be reset, constructs removed, quanta reset and talent points returned to the pool. That would leave the advantage for those who participated in beta to be massive and present a great opportunity to rebuild much more efficiently and structural than before.

There is no "levelling the playing field" or "catching up" here as getting to a decent level talent wise is so fast it's mostly irrelevant. It's mostly about trash collection and a big clean-up.

In the end if NQ were to not wipe, they would have come out and said so. Instead, they have very directly maintained that the option remains on the table and that they continue to have "discussions" about it. Knowing NQ-lingo that really only can imply that it's not if, but mostly when which is "being discussed" and frankly, I am very certain that it has been decided some time ago in combination with a set date for release towards the end of this year. There is no reason to withhold information on this if no wipe is planned, there is a strong argument to be made for keeping it indoors when the wipe is coming.

Personally, I could live with them going either way, but I strongly believe they will wipe as it will serve the game better in the end and in the long run. Combined with the very minimal exposure for the game and the small currently existing subscribed player base, a wipe has far more potential benefits than it has drawbacks. It would be a sensible and dare I say justified business decision to wipe at launch.

19 minutes ago, blazemonger said:

It will remove all the junk and the stuff left in the game once the beta keys expire. 

Simple solve, if a beta account isn't converted into a paying sub on release, delete their cores/unclaim the land after 3 months like any other non paying sub. Game cleans itself, no wipe required. 

1 hour ago, blazemonger said:

It will remove all the junk and the stuff left in the game once the beta keys expire.

Abandonment will already accomplish that.

And they just went to so much trouble telling everyone that if they ever decide to come back, their stuff would be safe if it's left on a sanctuary tile.

So now they're going to wipe the whole game just to delete everyone's stuff from sanctuary?

That would be pretty cold.  But also, really heavy handed, when they could definitely figure out another way to solve that problem.

A wipe will always be on the table, if NQ decides one is needed.  And if there's a good reason i'm sure they will.

But i don't see any reason for one.

I would support a wipe if I thought it would fix the game, but it wont.. The underlying issues are still mostly there.

And I remember NQ saying they had capped the quanta on the according to them handful of accounts that made "billions" on previous mishaps.

And frankly I have a hard time seeing why everybody should be made to suffer a wipe, just to satisfy the ego of a few. It would make much more sense for NQ to backtrack logs and remove elements/quanta from specific accounts instead. Especially since wiping would pretty much be the same as saying bye bye to a large percentage of builder focused players, which I suspect is a larger crowd then industrialists and PvP'ers at the moment.

In my opinion, a wipe would only be acceptable if:

1 - It fixes the issues that brought about its' necessity in the first place
2 - adds something new to the game
3 - ensures we will never need a new wipe

That's my two cents on the issue. Wiping for the sake of wiping is pointless.

6 hours ago, Atmosph3rik said:

Abandonment will already accomplish that.

And they just went to so much trouble telling everyone that if they ever decide to come back, their stuff would be safe if it's left on a sanctuary tile.

So now they're going to wipe the whole game just to delete everyone's stuff from sanctuary?

No, abandonment will not resolve the many claimed tiles by inactive accounts on Sanctuary and not resolving that would present additional cost and server requirements through the need for a second sanctuary moon, which becomes rather silly IMO in the same solar system.

Also while yes, while your stuff would be safe on Sanctuary, a wipe, and the reasonable arguments for it,. would really be the only exception to that "rule".

In the end, we can argue this until the cows come home but it's for NQ to make the call and I believe they have already made their decision to wipe some time ago and will do so in the timeline I expect to see. You and others think differently and that's fine.. We will know in a few months who is/was/will be correct in their assumption. As said, I expect and prefer a wipe as I feel it will be beneficial to the game long term but can go with whatever NQ decided to do.

I don't see the issue in adding a second sanctuary be it around alioth, somewhere else in the safezone, or in a new solar system. They'll have to anyway if the game ever passes 40k users. If it does they can afford to.

Beta keys expiring will bring a second requisition rush.

I'd laugh so harf if they wipe someones steps in, crushes that fragile shortlived ecosystem of sacrosanct purity, with a good exploit, before going meh I'm bored anyway. I have a job now so I'd get the short end of the stick anyway, might as well lol as the inevitable whining restarts.

edit: its a 111 632 users i did it from memory at work turns out 42 800 is the number allready claimed

Also while yes, while your stuff would be safe on Sanctuary, a wipe, and the reasonable arguments for it,. would really be the only exception to that "rule".

That is some hilariously flawed logic.

A wipe is only an exception to that rule, if there's a reason for a wipe.  But breaking the "rule" is the only reason you can come up with.

Obviously if NQ decides to wipe, they will wipe.  And you can attempt to predict what they'll do all you want.

But you haven't put forward a single valid reason that they would or should wipe.

Abandonment handles everything except sanctuary.  Which it doesn't handle because it's not supposed to.  And if they wanted it to, it could also handle sanctuary.

In the end, we can argue this until the cows come home but it's for NQ to make the call and I believe they have already made their decision to wipe some time ago and will do so in the timeline I expect to see. You and others think differently and that's fine.. We will know in a few months who is/was/will be correct in their assumption. As said, I expect and prefer a wipe as I feel it will be beneficial to the game long term but can go with whatever NQ decided to do.

It would also be very symbolic to the tens of  thousands of players that have left the game (mostly back around 0.23).  It would provide a clear "Come back for a fresh start" message to a huge population of previously loyal players that are no longer around, other than for the occasional touch-base and talent queue refresh.  You know... those guys that participated in the original Kickstarter, spending a year or so of subscriptions up front.  e.g.  People that left due to dissatisfaction rather than financial reasons.   

I think at this point delay and inaction has put the game in a "damned if they do, damned if they don't" type of situation WRT a wipe.  Really the game has been going for too long to wipe it at this point.  Some of us have been playing continuously since the start of beta, not used any exploits and a wipe would represent the deletion of thousands of hours of effort.  On the other hand the long beta and generally being slow to correct mistakes (or just not bothering to address some of them at all, *cough*schematics*cough*) have resulted in quite a lot of imbalance in the economy and a lot of people who feel like they don't want to play unless everything is reset back to a level playing field.

The OP here clearly won't play unless there's a wipe.  Personally I have been playing for a long time and have a lot of hours invested in the game.  Wiping would erase all the things I've done.  There are other games I'm interested in playing and I don't think I will bother to do another playthrough of this one from the beginning if it wipes (particularly since I think the first part of the game is less interesting now without the planet mining and industry gameplay loops) so I will probably stop playing at the point where a wipe happens.

So they're damned either way really but the longer it goes on the worse it will be.  IMO the best answer is to stop delaying, communicate the long term plan and if there is going to be a wipe do it *right now* so the problems don't keep on getting worse.  For those of us who will quit there's no point stringing us along for another 6 months, let us go do something else now and let the ones waiting in the sidelines come in and play instead.  Or go the other way, let them go do something else and let us play properly without holding back in fear of our work getting deleted.