PC Hardware

Osyraa

Hi, I am looking for some advice on upgrading my PC to run Dual Universe better. 

I am going to run a 3090 and threadripper 1950x, both on a water loop. 

I currently have a prime x399-a motherboard. A new motherboard would be beneficial, correct? I'm not so great w motherboards. 

I plan to run nvme drives. 

3090 is overkill and really not going to help you much, if at all.

Get a better CPU, the 1xxx ryzen CPUs really is not that great today and has a sub optimal AVX implmentation.

x570 motherboard with 5800X CPU, RTX 3070ti or 3080 and at least 32GB of 3200 or 3600 memory will do fine

Blaze is correct. 

best balanced performance if you want Ryzen balance would be a x570 m/b with a 5900 or even “just” a 5800 with a 3070/ or ti~ Or 3080 GPU. 
A minimum of 32GB RAM is recommended for peroformance and reducing SSD wear and tear.  DU chugs goats with just 16GB and will use a lot to swap space. 

of course you’ll be using an SSD… NVMe are higher performance than SATA. 

Yes I think if you aim to boost performance of DU specifically it's all in the cpu, ram, ssd. As long as you got something on the level of a 1080ti/2060 you should be good GPU wise.

Don't expect any miracles though, throwing more performance at the game might just be a way to heat your room better ? . Sounds like a mighty battle station though.

I can confirm this game does not run 60fps "smooth" in crowded places even on a 3090/5800X using GSync..

And lots and lots of micro stutters (and some medium to large ones too) that makes the FPS feel worse then it is.

14 hours ago, Osyraa said:

Hi, I am looking for some advice on upgrading my PC to run Dual Universe better. 

I am going to run a 3090 and threadripper 1950x, both on a water loop. 

I currently have a prime x399-a motherboard. A new motherboard would be beneficial, correct? I'm not so great w motherboards. 

I plan to run nvme drives. 

I wouldn't throw any more money in that direction. Threadriper 1950X along with X399 platform is pretty much obsolete already.  What matter most when comes to Dual Universe:

1. AVX2 instruction set performance

(Introduced with Hashwell and  implemented in Bulldozer by AMD all the way back in 2011. However AMD's implementation didn't really get quite right performance wise till ZEN3 microarchitecture) Hence your choice should either be between 12 gen intel such as 12700K/12900K , or ZEN3 Based AMD like 5950X. 

Adler Lakes will slightly outperform 5950X , but not to the point of having to switch camps unless you want. I would however strongly advise against AM4 platform as it is already at end of its lifecycle (due to be replaced with AM5 this fall), while current LGA1700 has another generation ahead of itself (Raptor Lake) 

2.  HDD performance

While storage is a dime a dozen these days, esp with SATA SSDs, i would strongly advise going for at least gen.3/4 nvme drive to avoid the joys of microstutter as you're moving into heavily congested areas. It not even as much about overal bandwidth. What matters most is command read/write command rate (IOPS).

3. Memory

DU is a memory hog 32Gigs minimum to be a happy pip boy, ( unless NQ fixes those damn mem leaks )

4.  Graphics Cards

Honestly anything RTX3060 or above  will be plenty fine

That's the problem, DU client has a long history of being jankey.

So some people are maxing out CPU and/or GPU while others are not, and some are seeing excessive memory usage while other like me are not.

And DU is still the only commercial game I know of that will BSOD Windows now and then on stable systems (not related to overheating issues).

And the behavior is made even more inconsistent with old and already fixed issues sometimes being reintroduced in later patches.

I have a laptop with a 10th gen intel/1660ti and 16gb ram, and a 10th gen intel pc with an RX580 8gb w/32gb ram. Both w/nvme’s, and they run fine for me @1080p and to a degree 1440p.

By fine, I mean playable no stutter. Might be some pop in, but I’ve kind of accepted that as a way of life in DU. Different people have different expectations for performance, but my only real complaint is the L core I’m standing on not fully rendering until I’m like 50m away from what I’m looking at, but I can make out a base 5km away.

Of all the upgrades since alpha, I’d say the SSD was the most impactful. I played with a 5th gen intel before and it handled things well enough paired with a 960.

Can someone help me pick an exact motherboard? (i know you guys suggest x570, but which specifically

I am going to be running an rtx 3090 and amd 1950x, along with a few nvme drives. 

Also, I have another question. 

I have been playing w a 2080 connected to a 70 inch tv w an hdmi cord. Last night I switched to my alienware ultrawide and a displayport cable. The lag was DRASTICALLY reduced. What caused the reduction? Was rendering so many pixels on the larger TV taking the power, or was the HDMI bottlenecking, or was the HDMI port on the video card not as powerful as the displayport?

If you have trouble matching your motherboard, I advise more reputable sources than some dude on some forum, like build your own pc sites, programs, and apps, don't linus tech tips have one? These should be able to pinpoint you to incomptabilities. I'm out of the loop for the current buyers market, but here is the gist:

It's advisable to go with the most recent chipset for your socket, in the performance or gaming segment, to "future proof" your pc, I wouldn't spend the big bucks on enthousiast stuff. Thing is you swap too many hardware components around at one point windows is gonna act up, you might have to call MS in person to reactivate. Are you really going to remake the computer, or will you be happy to have a second pc less powerful computer the day you upgrade. Sometimes bucks can be spared by going for the business segment. But realistically when one doesn't know much about this, it's safer to go with a more feature packed gaming segment model, to avoid any potential oversights, like idk, a pci express bus lacking bandwith, or the newest usb port or what have you.

Just so you know, I got a ryzen 2700x and a 2080ti, and 64gigs of ram, and I turn the settings way down, play in windowed, and cap framerates to 48fps on top... I feel like the strain the game currently puts on the hardware is not worth the extra graphical fidelity.

I know a lot about computers, I just get overwhelmed when looking at motherboards. I was hoping you guys would have a suggestion and then I could vet that specific suggestion. 

13 hours ago, Osyraa said:

I know a lot about computers, I just get overwhelmed when looking at motherboards. I was hoping you guys would have a suggestion and then I could vet that specific suggestion. 

don't believe the hype.. Unless you plan to overclock and/or customize, something like an ASUS Prime X570-P will be fine..

If you are locked on using AMD (good choice in my opinion), then using a 1950x is not a sensible option for gaming since both the 5800X and 5900X are cheaper and better suited for that.

A 5800X/5900X CPU combined with a (any) X570 motherboard would also enable PCIe 4.0 which is if you ask me, the only real upgrade since the last generation. Allowing faster NVMe drives and future proofing for the next generation of GFX cards.

And also a 3080Ti would be a better choice for the best gaming card, if that is your primary usage.

Because commercial games are designed for the average gaming card having much less then even 12GB. And any game that might potentially be able to get some small performance increase from having more then 12GB of memory, would not be enough to justify the cost difference.

I.e. you are better of spending the difference getting larger and better NVMe drives and system memory.

Has something changed performance wise in a recent patch? After seeing a post above about 1080ti I thought I would try my old PC again for the first time in six months or so. 

It’s a 1080ti:4770k/32gb with SSD and I remeber pegging the CPU a year or two back… making my whole PC heat up a bit but playing today, the cpu was idling at 10-20% and this time it was the GPU was pegged at 100% and giving me only 10 or so fps and 300+ms rendering delay at 1920x1200 with everything set to low. I used to easily get 20-30fps even at our built up base. 

this game used to be playable on that machine at those setting and I was about to say I had no problems playing the game. 

but I fear my info might be out of date.  Have they changed something?

my main machine runs as smooth as ever. 

Is there a hardware guru out there that wouldn't mind working with me on my build? I'm a computer science teacher, I definitely know the basics, but I need help making sure I'm doing some things right like utilizing the full potential of my RAM, figuring out a motherboard, etc.