Crafting Custom Weapons

i2eilly

Would it ever be viable for us to be able to choose our own weapon statistics and then be able to create our own custom weapons.

For example, my organisation Serenity wants to make a new unique railgun for hunting the pesky pirates ?

We could choose from a pool how much range, damage and tracking etc it has and then once confirmed it becomes a unique element  in the game we can craft.

We could just get a schematic for it to build and trade with others, this adds a huge amount of variety and not too much work for NQ as we willl make your weapons for you :)

You would just need to balance the pool based on the numbers you currently use for the weapons now.

If anyone else has ideas like this I would love to hear them!

• i2eilly changed the title to Crafting Custom Weapons
On 2/27/2022 at 12:51 AM, i2eilly said:

Would it ever be viable for us to be able to choose our own weapon statistics and then be able to create our own custom weapons.

For example, my organisation Serenity wants to make a new unique railgun for hunting the pesky pirates ?

We could choose from a pool how much range, damage and tracking etc it has and then once confirmed it becomes a unique element  in the game we can craft.

We could just get a schematic for it to build and trade with others, this adds a huge amount of variety and not too much work for NQ as we willl make your weapons for you :)

You would just need to balance the pool based on the numbers you currently use for the weapons now.

If anyone else has ideas like this I would love to hear them!

Now imagine that you can do this in the next update, however, to make those you need a special resource that you get only from those Alien cores... Would be nice to have some unique mechanic tied to a resource that is actually hard to get

You really don't need to add a crafting element to this, and honestly I'd rather not have the game saturated with more "same but different" things. Ideally, this could simply be added to the UI of a weapon seat that the guns are linked to. That way they don't have to track thousands of unique weapons potentially, and just apply modifers whenever you get into your seat. This could actually tie into the energy system in a VERY cool way, where if you have surplus energy, it can be diverted to any ship element family for various boosts. So let's say, your ship can generate 50,000 "units" of power, but all of your elements only require 40,000 - you could divert the remainder to greater engine output, stronger shields, or higher weapon performance. In that scenario, you could have even more flexibility to prioritize mobility, defense, or offense as a construct, overall.

I think giving people the tools to make creative builds will always be better than adding more elements, and this would make it to where it doesn't actually cost more money for players to have more specialized weapons systems. It also doesn't undermine the whole point of having different weapon types having certain advantages/disadvantages.

If not that, then you could simply have weapon augmentation modules (WAM!) that you can add to weapons (akin to schematics and blueprints) that boosts a set statistic for a weapon, so you can min/max or cover up deficiencies of your weapon of choice.  There could even be talents that allow one to use an additional WAM per tier, making the PvP talents tree even more specialized and valuable.

16 hours ago, Koriandah said:

Now imagine that you can do this in the next update, however, to make those you need a special resource that you get only from those Alien cores... Would be nice to have some unique mechanic tied to a resource that is actually hard to get

Honestly, if alien cores just adds a new resource, I'll be really disappointed. Eventually, the resource won't be that scarce, since it's generated automatically just by holding/monopolizing a position. (I mean, look what MUs did to ores) I could realistically see a scenario where the handful of dedicated pvp orgs defend the cores they have, and rather than have some reason to expand into others, just sit on their little respective fountains of alien goo. If every core generates the same thing, there's not much reason to control more than one, right? (Though, if this could be used as new fuel types for the energy system that gives higher output, it could tie pvp and industry together, so there's that)

That said, I think each more should offer something unique to them, so there's always an incentive to get more than one. Something that can't just be traded away like any other commodity, so that being a part of an actual org and tackling this content as one has a purpose. Also, these are cores, so I imagine they can be built upon to make bases.  It makes sense to tie those bonuses to what you use the core for. You want people to actually invest time and energy into defending them, what better way than to make building on them necessary to reap the benefits? Just adding a resource is, IMHO, just lazy.

Wouldn't it be cool if some cores added to different types of industry output? What if all flight elements created using industry elements on one core had 20% more thrust. Weapons on another would have higher ammo count before reloads. Shields made on another have higher output.  Higher CCS tolerances for cores made on another. Warp cells made on another yield 25% more product, etc etc etc. You have a REASON to have more than one, and it would tie industry and pvp together in a very exciting, highly contested way.