Mining poll: How many years does it take to get a return on investment when building a mining base is it one, two or three years...

Namcigam

The joys of insomnia bring me to reading these posts and offering random replies.

It's actually very easy just to set up a simple T1 mining operation on Alioth and turn a profit within a short space of time. 

The expenditure of a higher tier operation whilst it will turn a profit eventually, it will take longer due to the abysmal prices at the moment for higher tier ore.

I for one much prefer the current system to spending hours, days and weeks digging in holes. Once the operation is setup I can get on with other things in the game.

I get by your recent postings that you're doing that thing we see from time to time where you're disgruntled with the current systems and rather than adapt or not play, you're venting your frustrations with multiple posts.

4 hours ago, Namcigam said:

Mining poll: How many years does it take to get a return on investment when building a mining base is it  one, two or three years... Ohh you want mine exotic ore ohh those picks cost 600 million quanta per unit plus expenses ofc, good luck to ya...

Honestly if you put as much effort into playing the game as you do in posting new topics on the exact same subject you’d be swimming in ore by now. 

You keep skipping past all the entry level content, right to the most profitable and hardest thing.  And then you try to do it with no research, planning, or effort, and when you fail, you come here and blame NQ.

I can't speak for everyone, but most of us here are benefiting from each other's knowledge and experience.

There's nothing wrong with listening to other people and letting them help you.  I do it constantly.

If you chose not to, then it was your decision to make the game harder than it needs to be.

[quote]This is a slow moving poo is what it is & the pun was very intentional and hopefully it made you frown as you read it...and you're a towel...[/quote]

what does that even mean?

It’s almost impossible not to make a profit in this game once you’re set. I have 3 personal tiles with about 500 l/h T1 ore each and am making millions. 

the thing is, to get to this point you have to do a number of lower end things and get yourself set up to do things like scan for high yield hexes, place a TCU, place a construct, set up the MUs and output container and come back to it twice a week to calibrate/harvest. 

And as a beginner, you can’t just suddenly say, “where’s my money?! I want it NAU!”  Well you can, but it’s not very reasonable to do that. 

Before that, you need to do some early game stuff: by doing asteroid mining, it is possible to make enough to fund the TS ship to scan for ore before setting up camp and plonking down some MUs. 

Thus, when you factor in the scanning requirements, proper MU mining in high yield tiles is late or even borderline end-game activity; you’ve effectively got infinite money by this point.

but you need to have set up a LOT of infrastructure to get here. I.e. you need to actually play the game rather than write on the forums .

Here’s an example of a typical T1 mining yield.

500 is l/h over 24 hours gives 12,000 L per day.  That’s 84,000 L per week.

selling at the cheapest prices to the bots 25 ℏ  per litre nets you 2,100,000 ℏ per week or 1,600,000 ℏ per week profit per tile after taxes.  (If you’re not in a rush you can obtain 30 ℏ per litre by setting up sell orders!) 

As I mentioned, I have only 3 personal non-org tiles and with full skills and adjacency bonuses and mini-game ground ore collecting once a month or so, and even this tiny farm nets me  about 10,000,000 ℏ a week for an hour’s effort if I play the mini game.  It’s a lot less stressful than seeing repeated “pending operation” messages. 

it seems you’ve reached some kind of personal impasse where you are unable to see the road ahead and are feeling frustration. 

I'm stockpiling all the ore and I keep having to build new containers. We're talking litteral millions of liters since MU dropped.

When I didn't have a job it would have taken A LOT of effort to keep up with the production rates by hand. With how little freetime I have at the moment it would have been plain impossible to mine as much. I'm dilligent and what I'll have stockpiled by the end of the year will utterly dwarf what I mined by hand, starting at launch on pristine planets.

Sometimes I have the instinct to just give namcigam something, then I remind myself if he truely struggles like this, whatever I could give him would evaporate like a drop on a hot stove. I had a cooplayer once like that, terribly difficult to help somebody who can't / won't adjust their expectations and think reality should bend to their plans, instead of having a quick calculus on ROI.

4 accounts, a "mere" 19 tiles

But one account can manage a 7 tiles flower, it's a bit tight but definitly feasible. That's like 600kl a week (lowballing), so yes even on 1 account, one could easily have made millions of liters, it has been like two months. At the rythm I am calibrating I am passively gaining charges. I'll have to do temporary mining operations once my accounts all approach 50 charges.

At the moment I calibrate wednesday evenings, and sunday mornings, never going below 90% calibration in the process. I'm pretty sure that if you calibrate every 4-5 days on more MU, you could make more ore than I am making.

I have 3 tiles of T5 on Jago, I think the payback is a couple of

months, I did the math but don’t remember now. My lower tier operations are already in the black. My idea of a mining base is a couple of containers and a surrogate pod, and MUs of course.

edit: Now that I think about it it’s only 2 tiles that have Columbite, at like 30l/h and it’s still going to be in the black soon (helps I’m getting 200 something petalite from 3 tiles there)

Edited by Hecticus
Words

12 hours ago, Jinxed said:

[quote]This is a slow moving poo is what it is & the pun was very intentional and hopefully it made you frown as you read it...and you're a towel...[/quote]

what does that even mean?

It’s almost impossible not to make a profit in this game once you’re set. I have 3 personal tiles with about 500 l/h T1 ore each and am making millions. 

the thing is, to get to this point you have to do a number of lower end things and get yourself set up to do things like scan for high yield hexes, place a TCU, place a construct, set up the MUs and output container and come back to it twice a week to calibrate/harvest. 

And as a beginner, you can’t just suddenly say, “where’s my money?! I want it NAU!”  Well you can, but it’s not very reasonable to do that. 

Before that, you need to do some early game stuff: by doing asteroid mining, it is possible to make enough to fund the TS ship to scan for ore before setting up camp and plonking down some MUs. 

Thus, when you factor in the scanning requirements, proper MU mining in high yield tiles is late or even borderline end-game activity; you’ve effectively got infinite money by this point.

but you need to have set up a LOT of infrastructure to get here. I.e. you need to actually play the game rather than write on the forums .

Here’s an example of a typical T1 mining yield.

500 is l/h over 24 hours gives 12,000 L per day.  That’s 84,000 L per week.

selling at the cheapest prices to the bots 25 ℏ  per litre nets you 2,100,000 ℏ per week or 1,600,000 ℏ per week profit per tile after taxes.  (If you’re not in a rush you can obtain 30 ℏ per litre by setting up sell orders!) 

As I mentioned, I have only 3 personal non-org tiles and with full skills and adjacency bonuses and mini-game ground ore collecting once a month or so, and even this tiny farm nets me  about 10,000,000 ℏ a week for an hour’s effort if I play the mini game.  It’s a lot less stressful than seeing repeated “pending operation” messages. 

it seems you’ve reached some kind of personal impasse where you are unable to see the road ahead and are feeling frustration. 

That was just gibberish due to being frustrated, I can't accept the ore changes, the inability to safely mine specific ore dynamically as needed is intolerable. ore over time is intolerable. Hurry up and wait is intolerable. I have a month left on my sub and I think that's the end of the road for me. Too much over head too much bullshit. 

I don't know what that means, I've paid for several months of this game but I will share with you the straw that broke the camels back for me, It happened last night, I have been against what they did to the ore distribution from the start for many reasons but last night out of boredom after calibrating my mu's on Lycobus I decided to stay and hang out for awhile instead of flying back to do a round of hauling missions which is what I usually do. Instead I wanted to trying picking up rocks again like when I first started playing I'm using 4 mu's on four tiles cost me millions territory units, static cores, large containers mu's etc. I'm mostly mining Natron there is hint of pyrite on the tiles single digit L per hour enough to be annoying honestly but anyways I decided I might be productive to go ahead and pick up rocks 20L per rock which in my opinion is a special level of cruel mind you. I do this for awhile and it was nostalgic for awhile it did bring back memories of when I first started playing that bit was kind of nice then I take a break check my inventory and realized picking up the ore 20L at a time is faster than 4 mining units on 4 tiles... That is disgusting and the nail in the coffin for me that's how absurd all of this mining unit shit is The mining you do when you first start playing is more effective and more efficient then all of that expensive junk along with the expensive taxes. All of that bloated travel time setting up the bases calibrating etc. etc. and you are literally better off mining natron at sanctuary one rock at a time... That observation has made things very clear to me. My concerns are and have been quite clear and relevant and you can choose to ignore them or dismiss them but they are undeniable. Picking up ore one rock at a time is not my idea of fun so picking the ore up one at a time for hours at a time isn't going to happen even though it is more productive and efficient than at least 4 mu's perhaps even more than 4 mu's it's beyond disappointing.  I can't do it.

You want a list of coordinates with malachite? I copy-pasted calibration coordinates for a while into a text document. If you want them I'll give you the right to collect ground rocks and send you the list. I know it's not the old mining system, but it's better than 20L rocks, and it's on alioth.

(it's about 250 coordinates, most of them juicy I tried to get 100% in the minigame and had moderate success)

7 hours ago, Namcigam said:

I don't know what that means, I've paid for several months of this game but I will share with you the straw that broke the camels back for me, It happened last night, I have been against what they did to the ore distribution from the start for many reasons but last night out of boredom after calibrating my mu's on Lycobus I decided to stay and hang out for awhile instead of flying back to do a round of hauling missions which is what I usually do. Instead I wanted to trying picking up rocks again like when I first started playing I'm using 4 mu's on four tiles cost me millions territory units, static cores, large containers mu's etc. I'm mostly mining Natron there is hint of pyrite on the tiles single digit L per hour enough to be annoying honestly but anyways I decided I might be productive to go ahead and pick up rocks 20L per rock which in my opinion is a special level of cruel mind you. I do this for awhile and it was nostalgic for awhile it did bring back memories of when I first started playing that bit was kind of nice then I take a break check my inventory and realized picking up the ore 20L at a time is faster than 4 mining units on 4 tiles... That is disgusting and the nail in the coffin for me that's how absurd all of this mining unit shit is The mining you do when you first start playing is more effective and more efficient then all of that expensive junk along with the expensive taxes. All of that bloated travel time setting up the bases calibrating etc. etc. and you are literally better off mining natron at sanctuary one rock at a time... That observation has made things very clear to me. My concerns are and have been quite clear and relevant and you can choose to ignore them or dismiss them but they are undeniable. Picking up ore one rock at a time is not my idea of fun so picking the ore up one at a time for hours at a time isn't going to happen even though it is more productive and efficient than at least 4 mu's perhaps even more than 4 mu's it's beyond disappointing.  I can't do it.

You really need to buy a territory scanner if you don't have one and find better tiles to mine.

I scanned for hours on Lacobus, and eventually found a cluster with about 150l/hr gold, 100 Pyrite, and 40 Natron.

So i have 7 territories on Lacobus with a t2, t3 and t4 MU running on each one.

And before i did any of that I also spent two days scanning on Alioth and found a cluster with about 150l/hr of Malachite and 400l/hr of Bauxite.  And then i spent a few weeks selling the ore from those tiles before i could afford to buy the t4 mining units to mine the gold on Lacobus.

Ore is distributed in areas of higher and lower density.  So if you find pyrite, then somewhere nearby there is probably tiles with a much higher yield.  If you have three territory scanners, and scan at the intersection of three tiles, see which one has the highest yield, and then move in that direction, and scan again.  Keep doing that until you find something better.

3 minutes ago, Namcigam said:

In that regard, There is no need for "bad tiles" that shouldn't be a thing. You shouldn't have to Easter egg hunt for a good tile that's the kind weird shit I'm talkin about that doesn't make any sense to me.

You don't have to do an easter egg hunt if you don't want to though.  it's a game.  People do it because it's fun.  You can just buy eggs at the grocery store.

If you don't feel like playing this game, then don't.  You can take the money you were going to give NQ and spend it on a nice trophy that says, "I WON DU!"

That way you get what you want, and we all still get to have fun playing a game.