The only thing more tedious than hauling missions is this new Mining "Feature" Trickle down oreanomics

Namcigam

Before the new mining feature we were able to get as much ore as we were willing to mine and now we can't and hauling mission are way too slow, it's true the latter is an oldie but goodie but it is a perfect comparison to accentuate the tedium of both said tasks.  

10 minutes ago, Namcigam said:

Before the new mining feature we were able to get as much ore as we were willing to mine

We can still do that with asteroids. Today I gave it a try and I have to admit that the mining units are actually less tedius if you ignore the surface ore. When you get 100 % with the base calibration you can even skip the mini game.

1 hour ago, Namcigam said:

Before the new mining feature we were able to get as much ore as we were willing to mine and now we can't and hauling mission are way too slow, it's true the latter is an oldie but goodie but it is a perfect comparison to accentuate the tedium of both said tasks.  

I don't know if you were here before Demeter.  But there wasn't as much ore as you seem to think there was.

In the end there was still a lot of small nodes of low and mid tier ore, but it takes hours to find and mine small nodes.  And even those would have run out eventually.

The ore supply was finite, they would have had to add another solar system seeded with more ore eventually, or the only method of getting ore left would have been asteroids.

Almost all the mega nodes were either mined out or claimed.  And the people who made billions mining mega nodes put out quite a bit of effort to make that money.  It's not just mining, there was hours of scanning involved to find the mega nodes.

You could spend all day scanning and maybe find nothing.  Or you could spend all day mining small nodes and make a few million at best.

In the beginning it was a gold rush to find the high tier megas, and it was fun.  But it didn't last forever, and it wasn't sustainable.

You can argue that the current system is too hard for you, or not fun enough, or whatever.  But your claims that everything was perfect before are just false.

No, I agree I didn't really enjoy the underground mining but hindsight is a bitch because that was a lot better than what is going on now. If I wanted to mine Natron I would go to Madis fill up a container as needed. Can't really do that now Asteroids are bait high risk low reward 5 scans plus fuel plus risk for 2 hours of mining is a horrible proposition. It's bad for business.

54 minutes ago, Namcigam said:

No, I agree I didn't really enjoy the underground mining but hindsight is a bitch because that was a lot better than what is going on now. If I wanted to mine Natron I would go to Madis fill up a container as needed. Can't really do that now Asteroids are bait high risk low reward 5 scans plus fuel plus risk for 2 hours of mining is a horrible proposition. It's bad for business.

When i need Natron i just warp to Lacobus and there's a container full of it waiting there for me.  /shrug

I like the new mining. TBH.  They halved the tax! Increased the charge capacity to 50, increased the calibration buffer to 72 hours and allow you to skip the tedious animations. 

I really don’t see what the fuss is about. If you add a VR station you can forgo physical travel to get there but still benefit from you charge capacity skill. 

personally I fly out there, calibrate and come back 3 days later to 2 or 3 L containers full of ore. 

no power or recharging needed. Almost No time to complete and zero risk of theft or damage.

and absolutely no rage inducing “pending operation”
what’s not to like?

I dunno all I see is badness, the tiles are too much, the mining units are even worse, the price of advanced mining units and above are hedious... Lycobus is as far away as it could possibly be amounts of ore on the tiles the initial amounts are way too low across the board. There's nothing good about it. The adjacent tile bonus is too low doesn't justify the heavy investment. if you use warp cells to end the madness that's another large expense... blah it's lame 

Are people seriously complaining about this in any meaningful way still? I have more ore income now than I had pre-demeter, sure it took a bit of setup having to hunt a mining field down, setup the outposts- and manage them.... but now I get gobs of ore for a weekly session or two of play...

I spent 2  hours yesterday picking up 4 megaliters of T2+ ore, after  7 days and 10 hours since my last calibration. Was able to get machines back up to 94% efficiency. while picking it up.  If mined by hand, it'd would taken me easily north of 30+ hours considering the tier of it. Nearly 300mil in ore at current market value.

As a noobie though, without resources to invest into scanning and setting up a field- yeah, gameplay is a bit slower than pre-demeter as you can't just go out and mine almost any tile and make millions when T1 was 150L (6x price difference)... but arguably, this was "too easy" to me... though for some was the goldilocks zone for accessibility to the game... but it still meant hours upon hours of mindless clicking.... now making quanta means noobies need to be /smart/ with how they approach things and it's arguably still easy to acquire but takes a bit of knowledge, planning, and a bit of critical thinking to achieve vs just digging a random hole(peeps didn't even need to hunt meganodes pre-demeter to make cash)

For example, I could make money all day long flipping ore- it may not be a lot to start if I'm new, but as you do it- your returns should snowball and you can "reinvest" profits into larger ore buys/sells. Flip elements on the market is riskier, but still doable. Peeps can go roid mining, T5 is still high value and on advanced roids. I can make/sell items in game to players. Salvaging is... sorta a thing now, peeps have flown across planets to find abandoned mining fields, ships, and bases. Spend a week on skills to get fuel production and ore refining to level 3/4 and make a profit selling fuel.  Calibrate other peoples mining fields for 100-250k per charge used, and with 40+ charges easily trained that's a solid chunk of money for a few minutes of effort to a noobie, and arguably faster than manual mining to achieve. Hauling missions are a thing, still- just sorta nerfed for orgs.

and pre-demeter it was trickledownmissionomnics, the ore prices and "easy access to cash" was due to all the mission money floating around. People blame mining units for the economy crash, but they need to look at the faucet that was removed with VR mission running paired WITH a finite resource becoming "infinite". This combo together is what lead to this situation, but IMHO the core of it is the mission nerf closing off a faucet, not mining units.

TL:DR "No, you're a towel!"

2 hours ago, BlindingBright said:

Are people seriously complaining about this in any meaningful way still? I have more ore income now than I had pre-demeter, sure it took a bit of setup having to hunt a mining field down, setup the outposts- and manage them.... but now I get gobs of ore for a weekly session or two of play...

I spent 2  hours yesterday picking up 4 megaliters of T2+ ore, after  7 days and 10 hours since my last calibration. Was able to get machines back up to 94% efficiency. while picking it up.  If mined by hand, it'd would taken me easily north of 30+ hours considering the tier of it. Nearly 300mil in ore at current market value.

As a noobie though, without resources to invest into scanning and setting up a field- yeah, gameplay is a bit slower than pre-demeter as you can't just go out and mine almost any tile and make millions when T1 was 150L (6x price difference)... but arguably, this was "too easy" to me... though for some was the goldilocks zone for accessibility to the game... but it still meant hours upon hours of mindless clicking.... now making quanta means noobies need to be /smart/ with how they approach things and it's arguably still easy to acquire but takes a bit of knowledge, planning, and a bit of critical thinking to achieve vs just digging a random hole(peeps didn't even need to hunt meganodes pre-demeter to make cash)

For example, I could make money all day long flipping ore- it may not be a lot to start if I'm new, but as you do it- your returns should snowball and you can "reinvest" profits into larger ore buys/sells. Flip elements on the market is riskier, but still doable. Peeps can go roid mining, T5 is still high value and on advanced roids. I can make/sell items in game to players. Salvaging is... sorta a thing now, peeps have flown across planets to find abandoned mining fields, ships, and bases. Spend a week on skills to get fuel production and ore refining to level 3/4 and make a profit selling fuel.  Calibrate other peoples mining fields for 100-250k per charge used, and with 40+ charges easily trained that's a solid chunk of money for a few minutes of effort to a noobie, and arguably faster than manual mining to achieve. Hauling missions are a thing, still- just sorta nerfed for orgs.

and pre-demeter it was trickledownmissionomnics, the ore prices and "easy access to cash" was due to all the mission money floating around. People blame mining units for the economy crash, but they need to look at the faucet that was removed with VR mission running paired WITH a finite resource becoming "infinite". This combo together is what lead to this situation, but IMHO the core of it is the mission nerf closing off a faucet, not mining units.

TL:DR "No, you're a towel!"

Yup still complaining about this in a meaningful way...

I dunno all I see is badness, the tiles are too much, the mining units are even worse, the price of advanced mining units and above are hedious... Lycobus is as far away as it could possibly be amounts of ore on the tiles the initial amounts are way too low across the board. There's nothing good about it. The adjacent tile bonus is too low doesn't justify the heavy investment. if you use warp cells to end the madness that's another large expense... blah it's lame 

I think mining units are "not great"....but it isn't because of the utility to me. I'm someone that works a lot -- it's great to come back to containers full of ore vs. spending so much time as a mole. 

That said...it isn't just about the personal utility for me or about how easy or hard it is to make money or find ore. 

To me, the dangerous part of MUs is that it makes obtaining ore a passive gameplay feature -- whereas before there was a sense of exploration and adventure. 

It wasn't sustainable long-term and ore was buried far too deep. The implementation wasn't perfect, don't get me wrong...there was definitely an element of tedium, but the concept was better (IMO) than MUs.

It needed many tweaks, but removing it in favor of MUs takes a huge chunk of active gameplay (and virtually all the exploration gameplay) and sets it aside for a passive well of infinite resources. It removes mining as a specialization -- the idea that some players will specialize while others will just buy the ore they need is now a silly concept. 

There is no drama, not much strategy, zero exploration, and few reasons to even fly around except between my tiles and the markets! MUs have made the game more isolating, less engaging, and certainly less specialized. 

Yes, it makes getting resources far more convenient. But...that convenience comes at a price of engagement. In a game like this, the core game loop is usually "explore, acquire, build" -- now it's just "acquire and build"...and "acquire" isn't even a loop. You are simply handed resources every interval. 

MUs took DU's core issue..."there's not enough to do"...and made it worse (IMO). It's great for sandbox builders that would be happy if all resources were infinite, but it's bad for making a robust game with real gameplay depth.