ROADMAP UPDATE: PREPARE FOR WAR WITH THE COMING OF 0.29 "ATHENA" - discussion thread

NQ-Wanderer

This may be some proper new content. Good thing I've been preparing for WAAARRRRR!!! Let's gooooo!

Curious, introducing Alien Cores feels like a huuuuge departure from the original game... you can't just drop "Aliens" on us and not expect the obvious question.... when do we get some Alien NPC's to shoot at? ;)

hyyyyype!

Don't get me wrong, its something, but adding "lmb hold improvement", to the roadmap?  Shouldn't the roadmap be for larger things and not for tiny improvements?

That being said, i'm quite curious how the alien cores will turn out, hopefully its not just "here we have a small static construct that regularily spawns items into a container". Please tell me that some elements for military space stations etc. is also included.

These alien core units also serve additional purposes. The first is to provide fresh new PvP challenges for fighter types, and the second is to reduce the pressure on players who wish to avoid PvP side of DU but still find themselves ambushed by pirates when they step out of the safe zone.

Sounds like NQ thinks Players will flock to PVE content in PVP zones where the content may be ok, but there stil is no way to get away without engaging in PVP.. Feels like NQ has not learnt much from the Asteroids outside the safezones remaining mostly undiscovered every week.

Also.. "Alien core units" sets the expectation for NPC forces to arrive sooner or later..  We'll need to see the details here but at first glance I'd have to pass on this content

This all sounds very cool and interesting. I'm curious to how the alien cores will work and the space map.

One question though.

With the big ships being slower than smaller ships, how will L war ships still be viable now that smaller ships can also have an L shield? Sounds like they will only be usefull in a defensive situation.

4 minutes ago, Serula said:

This all sounds very cool and interesting. I'm curious to how the alien cores will work and the space map.

One question though.

With the big ships being slower than smaller ships, how will L war ships still be viable now that smaller ships can also have an L shield? Sounds like they will only be usefull in a defensive situation.

Agreed. I think with L core being slower, they should be defacto highest tank. Maybe only they can use L shield, or have a higher CCS cap/curve, and maybe more resist pool. Stuff of that nature. 

3 minutes ago, VandelayIndustries said:

Agreed. I think with L core being slower, they should be defacto highest tank. Maybe only they can use L shield, or have a higher CCS cap/curve, and maybe more resist pool. Stuff of that nature. 

Hopefully this goes with "PVP Balancing" part of the patch. Pair decoupling ship performance from FPS and potential voxel-damage fixes in athena... some actual content to fight over... paired with I hope a proper rebalance to make PVP more dynamic/interesting.... Huge hype. Just hope they get it right... the last rebalances were sorta lackluster.

sounds like asteroids that wont despawn and will be an autominer ?

rest of update sounds good, but the territory warfare aspect sounds to be quite a let down if the alien cores dont spawn unique items to those cores 

a quick fix for NQ if this catches you off guard, remove military schematics from the market and make them spawn in the alien cores and space wrecks only

9 minutes ago, blazemonger said:

It's somewhat sad NQ is throwing newtonian physics out the window in favor of an easy way to maek PVP "easier" ..

They did that the moment they released PvP... They made if lock and fire. Totally understand and support why. I just love I mean love the ability to make voxel weapons like torpedo's or missiles. That was my favorite part of Space Engineers. They did a recent warfare update so good to see NQ giving the PvP pillar more love. 

"To better balance PvP, we are adding stasis weapons and altering the behavior around a constructs’ maximum speed. With these sweet guns, big armored ships with powerful rockets will no longer have an advantage that allowed them to escape more agile smaller designs."

Another mechanic addition that benefits the attackers with NO counter for the defenders. All this does is shift the balance further to the advantage of aggressors. How does NQ not know it is the Pvp ships that have the more powerful engine configurations - not the haulers ?

Just now, Dracostan said:

Another mechanic addition that benefits the attackers with NO counter for the defenders. All this does is shift the balance further to the advantage of aggressors. How does NQ not know it is the Pvp ships that have the more powerful engine configurations - not the haulers ?

The fact that there is not a single word on any form of defensive counters is a concern, yes. Space will remain mostly empty without it and the mainingredient of this update will be irrelevant to a great many in the playerbase who really do not care for or want to partake in PVP engagements and would look for ways to mitigate or avooid them befrore venturing out.

15 minutes ago, Dracostan said:

"To better balance PvP, we are adding stasis weapons and altering the behavior around a constructs’ maximum speed. With these sweet guns, big armored ships with powerful rockets will no longer have an advantage that allowed them to escape more agile smaller designs."

Your hauler will always be second class. A semi not gonna be able to handle a tank. Pvp ships are built for war.  Your hauler will be slower cause its carrying more. It's always been this way in any game. You just want a "get out of pvp free" button...in the pvp zone. Not gonna happen buddy. 

1 minute ago, The_Kurgan said:

"The best news of all is that we plan to release a smaller update between now and Athena release to introduce some quality of life improvements."

PLEASE BE A LARGER SELECT/COPY/PASTE AREA!!!!!!!!!!

they said once they wont do it because their servers might not be able to handle it.

2 minutes ago, vylqun said:

they said once they wont do it because their servers might not be able to handle it.

what if they just made a loading screen pop up if its larger than a given area? Its not perfect but at least it wouldn't take hours to mirror L ships anymore

Edited by Shaman