Tiles aren't worth paying taxes for <Full Stop>

Namcigam

Ore and making quanta has never been easier. Not saying it is particularly fun, but it’s easy. For context, I’m an alpha backer who only seriously started playing again post demeter, and was flat broke when I returned. Only ship I had was a XS core with 2 small containers.

The key is finding a good spot. That little ship was enough to haul a TS and XS core to check for ore. Took a few hours, but I found a cluster of 489-504 coal and decided to set up shop. Started with one tile, then three, then seven. Built a single 192kl hauler. Your daily login bonus is enough to fund your first tile in very little time and it snowballs from there.

Now, my tiles are paid up 13 weeks and all I have to do is haul a little ore and calibrate every 3-4 days. I never made much at all, and now only playing casually, I’m almost at 100m. Pre Demeter I never had the time to make money like that and now I can do it with almost no effort at all, now that the MUs are up and running.

I think the main issue is there are no tutorials for this and no real guidance on what the progression looks like for new players. Someone who at least half knows how the system works and how to benefit from it can be on their feet from scratch in a week or two, tops.

I think there needs to be tutorials from having nothing on up to getting your first light hauler and territory scanner, and claiming a profitable tile. Otherwise, you’re flat out flailing in the dark.

I also think the daily login bonus should instead be a 1m weekly one, so new players can hit the ground running easier.

3 hours ago, Novidian Prime said:

Ore and making quanta has never been easier. Not saying it is particularly fun, but it’s easy. For context, I’m an alpha backer who only seriously started playing again post demeter, and was flat broke when I returned. Only ship I had was a XS core with 2 small containers.

The key is finding a good spot. That little ship was enough to haul a TS and XS core to check for ore. Took a few hours, but I found a cluster of 489-504 coal and decided to set up shop. Started with one tile, then three, then seven. Built a single 192kl hauler. Your daily login bonus is enough to fund your first tile in very little time and it snowballs from there.

Now, my tiles are paid up 13 weeks and all I have to do is haul a little ore and calibrate every 3-4 days. I never made much at all, and now only playing casually, I’m almost at 100m. Pre Demeter I never had the time to make money like that and now I can do it with almost no effort at all, now that the MUs are up and running.

I think the main issue is there are no tutorials for this and no real guidance on what the progression looks like for new players. Someone who at least half knows how the system works and how to benefit from it can be on their feet from scratch in a week or two, tops.

I think there needs to be tutorials from having nothing on up to getting your first light hauler and territory scanner, and claiming a profitable tile. Otherwise, you’re flat out flailing in the dark.

I also think the daily login bonus should instead be a 1m weekly one, so new players can hit the ground running easier.

That's closer to my point than most, There is loads and loads of room for improvement in regards to acquiring resources and earning quanta, right now is a dystopian worst case scenario the result of NQ being over thrown by the angry space pirates arrrgh!!! 

Yes, the resource gathering in this game is 100% broken. I also want to like this game. The mining system they had before, was tedious, but it was more fun than this. Finding meganodes, then mining them was ok, this is not functional or fun. Novaquark really needs to rethink this one. And yes, taxes are also not functional, they would be if the resource gathering mechanics worked properly. So yes.....did the devs pick up a copy of EMPYRION? NOPE! Did they check out the mining in that? NOPE! That has fun mining with mining vehicles. 

5 hours ago, CptLoRes said:

I get the feeling that NQ has always made a point of not copying functionality from other games and instead make their own unique solutions. With limited success I might add..

That's funny because it seems to me like NQ went with the initial mining system, because that's how other games like Minecraft and Landmark did it.  And they never really considered whether it would be a good fit for DU.

Having a fully editable game world is awesome.  But that doesn't necessarily mean that digging holes needs to be a major part of the gameplay.  I think the first few games that did it, just wanted to put the feature front and center.  Because it was new.

As far as mining simulators go, DU's first iteration was a lot more fun than mining in Minecraft or Landmark.  But does anyone really want to play a mining simulator?

I'm here to build spaceships.

They copy basic ideas from other games for sure, almost impossible not to do so today.

But they also always somehow manage to make the implementation into some hairball scheme unique to NQ that only halfway works, instead of carefully considering why and how those features are made to work in other games.