What would a metaverse be like from Novaquark?

aliensalmon

1 minute ago, blazemonger said:

Dual Universe IS Novaquark's "metaverse"

I've heard more....grand (albeit vague I must admit) visions for the metaverse though. Things such as virtual reality, augmented reality, or at least larger or more diverse worlds and activities....

What would NQ's metaverse be?

If VR was involved, it would be an instant barf-fest.

23 hours ago, CptLoRes said:

I totally agree, DU would be very nice in VR. But as mentioned it would also be the worst VR experience ever right now.

Agreeed

Some people start to blow chunks after 15 minutes in VR even at 90 fps which is considered the minimum generally tolerable framerate.

120fps is far superior and less likely to end up with players decorating their keyboards in rainbow stew.

VR systems perform tricks like reprojection and interpolation when a game drops the odd frame here and there but there's no way a regular joe could stand VR in DU at even 30 fps (which is fast for DU), it would likely having players parking a tiger and keeling over unconscious in minutes of putting on a headset.

My stomach had grown an iron grade tolerance for VR a few years back, so much so that I could play Elite Dangerous CQC with 6 degrees of freedom (think starwars trench run) for hours without feeling sick, but I nearly delivered a pavement pizza last week when I tried to get back into CQC after over 2 years away.

Even after all these years Elite Dangerous (pre-Odyssey) is still the best VR experience I've ever had, though but FDEV's original pre-Odyssey COBRA engine could sustain 120 fps even in fairly complex scenes. DU? Not so much.

The Metaverse is one of those annoying buzzwords that ultimately means very little. It is supposed to be an internet-like construct where VR/AR, e-commerce, shared workspaces, and gaming all collide in some sort of hellish digital soup. 

It is supposed to be "like" the Internet but ineffably different -- just don't ask for details, because people that like to talk about the metaverse don't usually involve themselves with pesky details. 

Based on past history, NQ's version of the metaverse would involve a lot of grand promises backed by no execution...but it could look very similar to the DU of today, only with a vastly more powerful LUA system and some sort of integrated payment system where users can buy/sell digital (or real life) goods. It would likely have real-world cost associated with land ownership. 

If I really had to distill the metaverse down to its most fundamental idea, it's that people want to sell you trash digital goods for real-world money. ?‍♂️

There's a reason Nike is investing in it; NFT-style games have already proven that people will spend $200+ on digital sneakers. They know that today's social capital is played out online...and want to exploit that down to the clothes you wear in a digital space.

I don't envy the next generations of young people that get to feel as insecure about their digital avatars as their real ones...the premise of the metaverse as described in the original work (Snow Crash) was hardly flattering...and its like people are using the inequity and greed described in the novel as a template rather than a warning. 

All we have right now are things that are kind of like the idea of a Metaverse, in one or two ways at best.  But technologically we're a long way from anything that fits all the criteria.

The internet itself is probably closer to a Metaverse than anything else.  You can do business there, meet people, customize your appearance.  it's not all in VR, but you can access VR content there.

You can also access DU through the internet, so in a way it's already part of a Metaverse.