Loss of unclaimed ships at markets will alienate old timers forever

Carnegie

One thing to remember is that all people are not equal in the  creativity and perseverance to make massive beautiful ships.  To draw more future players, the artistry that these folks have created is golden.  I showed my 14-year old son what can be done in Dual Universe and he got interested in joining the game. He doesn't get the draw of industry yet or PvP, but he can see what is possible.

However, once people who have drifted away from the game with the possibility of returning someday see that their hard work of months was claimed by some one who happened to wander by... well the DU ecosystem will have lost a shining beacon of creativity forever.

Please, please @NQ devs ... send some emails or at least somehow get in touch with the owners of these ships. Extend the initial deadline to more than 7 days. Everything in this world runs on a 30-day notice, so imagine the shock of losing so much work just because real life got a bit crazy for a little while. Next round of notices can be 7 days, but not the first!

Not nice NQ.

I suppose I didn't explain myself properly. I am not talking about the people who are aware this rule exists. I think it is a great rule and will really benefit the congestion around markets. 

The scenario I am referring to are the players who have drifted away from the game (thus not paying attention to any announcements / news/ etc.) but have built some amazing ships and buildings in the past.  Many people I know (myself included) have disappeared for weeks on end or months due to life circumstances. During that time I wasn't sure I would be interested in coming back.

Recently I only came back due to the reduction of taxes on tiles, but I haven't kept up on details of other events. My point is that the "hibernating" players should get a chance to know their stuff is about to be repossessed and put on the curb for anyone to take.  Some people would see that loss and be discouraged from starting over, and the game ecosystem would lose out on a substantial creative talent. (some of those ships are truly amazing - did you see that space bacon-burger?)

7 days is short. I could have a rough couple of weeks and not log in (unlikely but possible).

That reminds me -I have a ship parked at the market in Sanctuary that I almost forgot about...

90% of the market clutter is franken-speeders that need to just go away, but there are some one-off works of art, L-core monsters that cost a fortune to build etc. and it would suck for people who are on a short break to come back and find them gone. That 90 day wait on un-subbed players otoh is more than fair.

I think a longer initial wait would be better, then after the big cleanup, a 7 day timer would be .. this has all been said. I agree.

Related story:

One of the org mates from a tile I requisitioned during Demeter came back and found his Org HQ under new ownership.. I had already merged my HQ with it and spent a couple of weeks moving in and restructuring things. I didn't offer to give it back, but I was apologetic -and he was polite.. It was awkward in the least - I had sworn that up until the time I started moving in I would hand it back over if anyone showed. Then they showed up two weeks later than that. I wish the delay had been longer. So does he I'm sure.

22 hours ago, Carnegie said:

Please, please @NQ devs ... send some emails or at least somehow get in touch with the owners of these ships.

They have, devblogs, announcements on social media channels and then some.

If people choose to ignore or not receive these, that is entirely on them

People who need such reminders about ships at markets should not really have ships at markets to begin with.

22 hours ago, Carnegie said:

Extend the initial deadline to more than 7 days.

For markets 7 days is more than enough, fairly generous really as I would have preferred 48 hours..

5 hours ago, Carnegie said:

I suppose I didn't explain myself properly. I am not talking about the people who are aware this rule exists. I think it is a great rule and will really benefit the congestion around markets. 

The scenario I am referring to are the players who have drifted away from the game (thus not paying attention to any announcements / news/ etc.) but have built some amazing ships and buildings in the past.  Many people I know (myself included) have disappeared for weeks on end or months due to life circumstances. During that time I wasn't sure I would be interested in coming back.

Recently I only came back due to the reduction of taxes on tiles, but I haven't kept up on details of other events. My point is that the "hibernating" players should get a chance to know their stuff is about to be repossessed and put on the curb for anyone to take.  Some people would see that loss and be discouraged from starting over, and the game ecosystem would lose out on a substantial creative talent. (some of those ships are truly amazing - did you see that space bacon-burger?)

Ahh, this I understand, I was able to make a really fancy ship like that I would check  the forums even if I wasn't playing. If they aren't keeping tabs on it they probably quit-quit like for real. 

Edited by Namcigam

Yes the game can be imposing or frustrating, when developpment progresses at a rythm incompatible with all the shite you got on your plate, or seems stagnant when you got spare time... The story about the guy showing up 2 weeks later is a good demonstration.

But I will concurr that there has been a lot of pull these past months, and if you care you should at least read up on the game every 6-10 weeks, stuff did not fall out of the blue.

Now some speculation: NQ wants these short timers, for example they could have lengthened taxation delay but halfed tax amount instead. I reckon they prioritize the ability to get rid of obstacles quicker, map cleaner, wallet heavier.

Lets summarize facts.

- in the past the markets were very laggy because of the lots of parked ships. We were complaining about it.

- There were rules what can be on the market and nobody was following those rules.

- there are players who left their constructs on place where they are hurting active players and stopped playing.

- you are saying that this action could alienate those players who are hurting us and hurting the game.

Why should we care ?

The fact that those players' beautiful ships at the markets can be taken by others is in a way giving them a new life. Perhaps, if a ship is truly beautiful and left there by its owner as you said, not only does it keep DRM (allowing only the original creator to make BP, copy/paste etc.) but also the person salvaging it might not even want to destroy it. 

As an example, there's a while SDS Lilith parked at M6 right now which I wouldn't mind owning because I like how it looks, not to salvage it for parts. But this does not excuse all the other piles of garbage under the market pad and the L core element only ships that litter the area and consume MY fps, MY data cap and NQ's data cap. This was a long time coming and honestly, several dev blogs and emails from NQ are more than enough for anyone who actually looks at this game to notice.  

District spam and subsequent client lag/crash problems is a long standing issue in DU that we have been asking NQ to solve for a long, long time.

And anyone even just somewhat experienced in this game knows that leaving your ship/exhibition at districts is a [filtered] move, no matter how proud you may be and wanting to show it off.

And when NQ half heartily tried to solve the district spam problem without punishing players, the spam would just come right back. So a solution similar to this is actually something we have been asking/begging for, and the game has been needing for a long time.

And fixing the game performance so that DU could handle large spontaneous gatherings of ships would of course be the optimal solution. But that is not happening so here we are.. And that would still not fix the spam part of the problem.

On 2/11/2022 at 10:53 PM, Carnegie said:

He doesn't get the draw of industry yet or PvP, but he can see what is possible.

I've been playing since the alpha and *still* don't see the draw of industry or PvP yet... LOL.

On 2/11/2022 at 10:53 PM, Carnegie said:

Please, please @NQ devs ... send some emails or at least somehow get in touch with the owners of these ships. Extend the initial deadline to more than 7 days. Everything in this world runs on a 30-day notice, so imagine the shock of losing so much work just because real life got a bit crazy for a little while. Next round of notices can be 7 days, but not the first!

Not nice NQ.

I was surprised to find that everything suddenly had a 7 day timer on it... that is super, super short considering how final and epoch changing a... err... change it is...

And especially considering that everything else is so sedentary.

I always wonder why NQ have this:

nothing... nothing...  still nothing... nothing...

nothing... nothing...  still nothing... nothing...

nope, not a sodding thing... nada... nada...

nothing...  nothing... n.. 

PANIC PANIC OMG SET DIRECTION TO RANDOM... ALL ENGINES MAX PAUWA NAU!!!

sort of mentality.

7 days is shorter than it needs to be. 

I get what people are saying about not paying attention to announcements being "their fault" -- but fault isn't really relevant. This is a basic customer satisfaction issue, and when customers aren't happy they tend to leave.

It's a fact that the majority of customers aren't engaged enough to seek out NQ's announcements...that's how it goes for most games. Blame the customer if you want, but then you're basically saying "it is your fault that you don't care about DU enough to stay up-to-date" -- not a realistic sentiment.

The only communication channel that can reasonably reach every player is email. If an important game notification doesn't go out via email, that's really baffling and incompetent. Email is the only comm channel NQ has for players -- everything else is a passive channel that requires players to seek out information...if we are going to be required to give NQ our email, they ought to use it properly. 

I don't think this concept scales especially well post-release, either...a 14 day timer seems more reasonable and will still have the same benefit in cleaning things up. I think some players will be caught by surprise at 7 days come release and NQ isn't in a place where they can be apathetic about churns...

*Some of the players caused this by leaving their stuff where it doesn't belong, idk why your mad at NQ for taking our feedback. What you think is cool, should be left at your base not a public location.

If they had spare dev time, I'd rather see more work on the backend or pvp or content. This fix is simple and effective, wouldn't change one bit.

Edited by space_man