New Game Engine

NCORE1

1 hour ago, NCORE1 said:

Start again.

Make the Engine do the things modern engines can do.

Add and fix the simplest little things we ask you to.

Have a nice day.

In other words:
Throw away 6-8 years of work and start again, only to have the exact same sentence be repeated in 6-8 years time.

XD

1 hour ago, EasternGamer said:

In other words:
Throw away 6-8 years of work and start again, only to have the exact same sentence be repeated in 6-8 years time.

XD

Not necessarily, because new standards can also save an enormous amount of time. I understand what the contributor is getting at, as there are currently very good opportunities to switch to the better and more modern standard. It would certainly be worth considering.

1 minute ago, Zarcata said:

Not necessarily, because new standards can also save an enormous amount of time. I understand what the contributor is getting at, as there are currently very good opportunities to switch to the better and more modern standard. It would certainly be worth considering.

It would mean rewriting the entire game client from the ground up, and likely refactoring various server-side systems as well. 

I think the OP is a troll. 

New standards? I don't really get what that means, but "switching the game" to something like Unreal doesn't automatically make it more performant or graphically intense. I think people tend to overestimate the utilities in modern game engines. 

NQ would need to freeze all development for several years just to rewrite the game and get it remotely close to where it was, forging all manner of new bugs as they go. Any benefits they gain from the engine they would lose in opportunity cost, bugs, having to learn a new engine, and their doors having to close because they can't afford more years in the dark without launching a product :) 

There are no other engines that can do what Unigine can do in the context fo DU. 

The needed scale, precision and everything being in one single instance with many thousands of players is not going to happen in UE or Lumberyard, which really are the only two alternatives besides Hadean as that is a similar engine in concept to what they have and is further along in showing to be proven technology plus it has big names behind it.

There is computing solutions available now that were not available 7+ years ago when NE started their journey which would very likely be more efficient, cheaper, and higher performance than AWS, particularly Edge/private cloud solutions. But NQ is too busy now to get to release to spend months moving the game over.

OP has watched too many flashy demo videos which show off UE5 but has not really paid attention to what is left of all that once the engine actually has to run in the context for a game.

Needless to say, there is a lot about NQ that needs to get better, but the engine they use is not that big an issue right now.

The only other engine that can handle this scale is Star Citizen’s variant of Lumberyard.

even Elite dangerous has loading screens for each planet as you come into land.  

Rebuilding this game from scratch would likely just end up with us being in exactly the same place as we are now, but just with more of us having children who have already graduated and married. 

The pace of change has improved since JC was kicked out and there are signs that NQ are hearing their customers’ voices more these days. 

I know they gutted the engine we have now and that the server tech is new. I don't understand how much work it takes to incorporate the great server tech in a new engine but I can't help wondering what would happen if this game was remade in Unreal 5.

hahah, du could never once handle what it claimed it could.. 

it miserably failed from its basic functionalities  to almost all aspects of its gameplay.

if someone were to (re)make an all inclusive one universe space whatever game, i would not want these people in charge of it. 

On 2/11/2022 at 4:48 AM, Maxim Kammerer said:

Only if you drop out of supercruise. In nomal flight mode there are no loading screens.

ah you are right, I was confused and probably thinking about between systems. Someone supercruised beteeen two systems 0.13 Ly apart at 2001 C and when he “arrived” there was nothing there.  Hyperspace is the loading screen is between systems, without it, you can’t leave the system you’re in or reach another system.