Suggestions for making mining more useful/exciting/worth playing

Carnegie

Well.. I have seen a lot since alpha phase.  Recently this last round of mining approach seems to be a battle of two different desires by the dev team:

A. Fairness to all players
B. Have mining be a reason to want one tile over another (in the future leading towards land wars)

However, I think this opportunity was lost on one small (which I think is rather huge) issue. All the tiles on the planet I am on seem to have approximately the same total value of all the ore rates.
Now at first glance, this may seem like a good thing for fairness, however it seriously detracts from the gameplay.

If you only get to have one tile, then yes you pick one which has your favorite ore. However, any serious miner will have many tiles ... which leads to no ore preference as a whole. Now, once it doesn't really matter which tile you mine, what is the point of scanning at all ? 

The ore random clusters should be left independent from each other, thus allowing some tiles to have more total ores/sec than other tiles.

--> Now you have a reason to scan and in the future - to fight for and defend territories.

Also, on the topic of schematics. All level 1 basic industry should come with default schematics for the lowest level. It is ridiculous to be running around to different planets just to make low level stuff. For uncommon and up, sure I think schematics is a good idea but for people starting out it is a terrible test of patience and unnecessary roadblocks. (just include default schematics that can't be removed)

Fundamental problem is not "mining is boring" (while it is). Because it always be, no matter how its made, if not boosted by higher goals.

Real problem is, that in wider picture there is no interesting to do with all this resources, if you not some hermit intersting only in building (for sake of it) or making factory for sake of factory. There is no big players political entities (beyond some PvP bands), intresting community interactions and larger macro play of initially promised civilization building.

That was one thing that really surprised me too.  I really thought there would be rich tiles that would be worth fighting over. Oh sure there are some better tiles, But nothing that would make me want to fight over them.  Nothing that would bring territory warfare to the point of wanting to fight for desired hexes worth allot. 

However I do have a suggestion for this. Meteor impacts. Like once a month a meteor hits a random un occupied hex.  This hex is now worth 50x that of a normal hex. But only for 1 month.  It would be these hexes that players really fight over. 

Why, as soon as the planetary shields on the outer planets and moons drop, there is T5 only in the PvP zone. At the moment, many players have only fetched areas there because the peace zone is still activated there. If this falls away, T3-5 will only be found in better quantities on "PvP planets or asteroids. it will therefore become more difficult because the mass of ores will then certainly become less.

Who knows, maybe we will also get T6 ores and elements soon, these can also only be found in the PvP zone.

Edited by Zarcata

I think if super tiles exist, all that will happen is a couple of orgs will find them first, set up camp and start an insurmountable lead over the other orgs with their resources. 

how will you challenge the org that has access to the best stuff?

this is going to be very tricky to balance. 

On 2/3/2022 at 1:34 AM, Carnegie said:

All the tiles on the planet I am on seem to have approximately the same total value of all the ore rates.

Not sure what planet you're operating on, but once you get out of the safe zone, there are hot zones scattered throughout each of the planets with higher/only quantities of specific ores (T2,3,4,5). The T5s can only be found on a few planets. T4s are similarly only available on certain planets. And so on.