Less aggressive alternative to core slots

LocInt

NQ could implement virtual garage for all constructs static/dynamic to ease the server load.  When you stop subbing your constructs would go to storage after two weeks.  

When this happens player would be penalized and would need to pay 100k-500k per construct to retrieve em.  When you pay the fee you will retrieve BP of the construct just like those XS vehicles with existing components etc..

This way we can achieve the same as implementing core slots but with less aggressive means.

Even though this will only solve the issue of non absent players.  The infinite core issue could be solved with mining lasers on ships so people wouldn't need to deploy hundreds of cores to hundreds of territories just to mine lol. 

I get the general idea of this and it may be something to consider but as you said, it merely addresses the situation for absent players and in the process creates a number of new problems like territory ownership and still drives storage cost.

The problem though is in your last sentence.. why would solo players need "hundreds of cores for hundreds of mining units". I have four 3 tile locations for each of the T1 ores on Alioth (12 cores) and those give me more than enough ore to pay tax on everything, build what I need to build and buy what I need as well. Add in some asteroids over the weekends and I'm more than good.. The cores are owned by my personal org so in the new situation I still have plenty left for my shared ships and bases.

42 cores for a solo player really should be enough, as mentioned, I do expect NQ will bring that number up a bit but not by that much and to less than double that I hope.

4 minutes ago, blazemonger said:

The problem though is in your last sentence.. why would solo players need "hundreds of cores for hundreds of mining units".

Because even though I mainly play solo I am also a member of a large Org so contribute a ton of ore.

4 minutes ago, Novoca1ne said:

Because even though I mainly play solo I am also a member of a large Org so contribute a ton of ore.

And so, the org should accomodate this through the core count they have available. That is part of the point in all this as I see it.

A large org would have a lot of core slots if they manage this properly. they can set up constructs for mining which you woudl then "operate"

You, as an individual, should not have to do this, the collective (the org) should.

2 hours ago, Kurosawa said:

why should you need to pay a fee to retrieve your constructs?

how does that boost player retention and re-absorption of player?

Well if you consider storing stuff in aphelia's garage is like renting a garage and putting your stuff in it. :)

2 hours ago, LocInt said:

Well if you consider storing stuff in aphelia's garage is like renting a garage and putting your stuff in it. :)

Obviously :) but it is not very rewarding, its a punishment.

Instead perhaps have ships be repaired for free in garages, that way there is a reward and incentive to tug away your construct.

That is of cause just an example there are plenty of other ways i am sure.