DEVBLOG: CONSTRUCTION SLOTS AND STACKED ELEMENTS - discussion thread

NQ-Wanderer

Well, it's official.  This games as much of a scam as Earth 2. 

So let me get this straight. Stations like HUGE Station, Utopia and so on. They use a org that's exclusively for station management. It's what allows these stations to be what they are. 

You're effectively choosing to take these two great game play assets out. Why? 

You've lost one of your most active and dedicated players. If this goes through. I'll be canceling my three accounts. Taking down huge station and then launching a massive social media campaign against this game. Specifically how it's a waste of time. Falsely advertising a free and open constructive universe. Absolutely no care for the dedicated player base. 

"Not worth the bullsh*t" 

Devs are so out of touch with the player Base and the game play loops that are actually working. Are you trying to kill your game? Sure seems like it. Legion, HUGE Station, Utopia, fly mart, got mart, cptn.customs, empire all will be gone. Not to mention the 100s of people who have mining setups that require a static core per hex. 

To clarify, unless a org has like 100 people ( good luck) they can't have any construct numbers worth using? 

Are the org talents a total that has to be filled via player allowcations of cores? 

As usual your explanation on this is garbage and vague. What a waste of the past year and a half and over 2000 hours of play time. Not to mention huge stations 50+ owners and their time invested. 

Wow and to think I was about to drop $5000 usd on a social media ad campaign to build the player base. 

Glad I dodged that one. 

Absolutely the worst business decision I've ever seen a game dev make. 

Edited by LeeRoyINC

39 minutes ago, NQ-Deckard said:

A few clarifications:

Your personal slots have nothing to do with this.

Each player gets a base amount of 15 organization construct slots assigned to their account.
Plus a new talent that can add 10 more organization construct slots to reach a total of 25.

Any amount of these slots can be assigned to any organization of your choosing.

clarify pls

- actualy a max skilled player can have 15 constuction slots for himself , right?

after patch

-a player can have 15 personal constuction slots?

- and in addition 25 org only slots if skilled?

4 minutes ago, Hagbard said:

i've been playing since alpha.
i always tried to create content and give back a lot to the community via new fancy stuff ( like hagboards or boats etc.) and i operate a showroom with all ships on display and a marina where i try to keep a copy of each boat/sailboat using my lua for people to walk around in and enjoy the creations.
additionally i have to make some money and operate mining units on around 20 cores. then i have an industry and need a LOT of cores for prototypes and my own ships.
when i am selling tokens i often have to place new temporary cores.
so with all this even after cleaning up every so often i operate around 260 cores in my construct org.
even if i massively reduce stuff, i still would have to remove most of the stuff. so basically this would end my career in this game.
even if NQ would reconsider and go to 100 cores it would be constant struggle of which stuff i would have to remove.
i never used nested orgs ( which was basically more in those past mining days to claim tiles) but still i create content, i have a life in this game and i want to grow. so this could honestly be the final nail in the coffin for DU.
NQ always talked about the visions where they create the plattform and we the players fill it with life and content. but HOW?

If this is about server space or network traffic i would rather pay 1$ more per month to end this stupid plan.

I think it comes down to what outcome is NQ trying to achieve. Why do they need to massively restrict number of cores? 

To Hagbard’s point, I would happily pay more monthly to not have this restriction. This straight up kills DU for me and I am sure many other players.

@NQ-Wanderer

Our organization is soooo effed.
And now, the one, final, last enjoyable part of the game: Building something epic... is being nerfed.

We have spent months developing the area around Madis MP3 despite NQ's best efforts to punish their player base with less and less things to do... MTI and NovaX have created one of the largest cities on Madis and now RANDOM CORES are going to shut down after TWO WEEKS!!!

There is no way we will be able to get our members back to donate their cores to the org at such short notice... Nobody plays regularly any more. They are all waiting for the fun to start before they come back.

You have got to be joking... No sane company would do that to their paying customers.

Interesting, when did the swear filter happen? Is that a new thing?

I guess the last two of us still playing of the fifty active members we used to have will turn off the lights on the way out.

I'm tired of all this. What a complete waste of time.

Let's assume that I have spent an insane amount of my precious talent points to max out ALL of my cores.  15 personal and 25 org for a total of 40.

Now you want me to pay taxes on my tiles, and you expect most players to run mining units to pay those taxes.  That eats into a lot of my cores.  Then add in a few for a factory, a few for a handful of ships...  Honestly, this isn't enough AT ALL.  I'm apparently not allowed to have a ship collection anymore, despite my love for people's ship designs.  I also intend on selling ships in the near future.  I guess I'm not allowed to spare any cores for a showroom, am I?

I run a huge mining setup with multiple players and I needed to literally run my org cores to the max (200+) just to be able to handle it all.  Now all of those players and myself are going to have to invest a ton of talent points just to run shy and now I'm going to lose a percentage of my mining setup.

This doesn't even account for the ships needed to move this ore around and factories to process it.

These numbers ARE IN SERIOUS NEED OF RE-EVALUATION.  If I start losing stuff because of this, I am likely to simply stop playing.  I have worked too hard on building and making things to start losing large chunks of it from a rules change.

This is such a badly thought out issue that affects me so hard that I actually took the time to actually sign in on the forum to voice my opinion on the topic.

Edited by fridaywitch

Hi everyone.

Thanks a lot for all your feedback on the topic.

We understand the slot limitation described in the devblog is quite frustrating and we're transmitting all your feedback to the Game Design team.

We'll try to come back ASAP with a reply from the team. Please be patient.

Edit: "current slot limitation" changed by "slot limitation described in the devblog".

Best Regards,

Nyzaltar.

1 hour ago, W1zard said:

Okay, so single player can maintain around 40 MUs simultaniously, but only 25 construct slots?
So I can't even use the full potantial of my account, that sounds bad for me.

Makes absolutely no sense. A low core limit only limits the game. Everyone will run out eventually and then do what? Stop playing? 

3 minutes ago, NQ-Nyzaltar said:

Hi everyone.

Thanks a lot for all your feedback on the topic.

We understand the current slot limitation is quite frustrating and we're transmitting all your feedback to the Game Design team.

We'll try to come back ASAP with a reply from the team. Please be patient.

Best Regards,

Nyzaltar.

Hurry back with a response because this is an absolute game killer from my perspective. Personally, I would appreciate knowing sooner then later so I can determine how I move forward.

I am sure others find themselves at similar crossroads with this proposed change.

Tragic to make things more difficult to the remaining community non economic based projects like railways, race tracks or koff koff... Utopis... and Huge.

The MU thing pushed to make more constructs that we did not want to have that became unviable to maintain anyway. The explosion in additional cores on the server is not our fault. Well someone did that spam at ION but yanno... how would the new rules prevent that?

How about We collectively donate 1000 cores to a malicious org for a blockade of some space harbour. Pull the core, Rinse and repeat a few times. 

Is this disallowed gameplay? Seems creative player content. Seems greify. I like it. I hate it. If anything though it is make work. Why make work?

Striving to limit a game dependent on imagination to showcase itself is a glass ceiling like no mans sky can contain.

Why not exempt MU's? Sure, add a MU operating skill. 

an idiotic idea after all these years.
or trying to get cash from players just to create hundreds of altos. Or try to get players to join big organizations. Killing creativity :) I only play a few months and have about 100 constructs, including about 30 mining units. 10 space station (not finished) 20 base and others, in total the majority of use. As you have problems with the number of constructs, remove the constructs of inactive players.

12 minutes ago, fridaywitch said:

Let's assume that I have spent an insane amount of my precious talent points to max out ALL of my cores.  15 personal and 25 org for a total of 40.

Now you want me to pay taxes on my tiles, and you expect most players to run mining units to pay those taxes.  That eats into a lot of my cores.  Then add in a few for a factory, a few for a handful of ships...  Honestly, this isn't enough AT ALL.  I'm apparently not allowed to have a ship collection anymore, despite my love for people's ship designs.

I run a huge mining setup with multiple players and I needed to literally run my org cores to the max (200+) just to be able to handle it all.  Now all of those players and myself are going to have to invest a ton of talent points just to run shy and now I'm going to lose a percentage of my mining setup.

This doesn't even account for the ships needed to move this ore around and factories to process it.

These numbers ARE IN SERIOUS NEED OF RE-EVALUATION.  If I start losing stuff because of this, I am likely to simply stop playing.  I have worked too hard on building and making things to start losing large chunks of it from a rules change.

This is such a badly thought out issue that affects me so hard that I actually took the time to actually sign in on the forum to voice my opinion on the topic.

I've got good news and bad news...

Good news is you are incorrect about the 40 core limit.
Bad news is it's 15 + 10 for maxed out skill slots.

So it's 25 TOTAL, not 15 + 25...

Whelp, building was the only really aspect of this game I actually enjoyed. Take that away, and Ill be ending my subscriptions.

My compromise would be to leave the talents alone, but make it so one characters core talents can only be applied to one org. For example. The Onion is in 3 orgs A, B, and C. I apply my core talents to org A. Org A now has 275 core limit. Org B and C each have 0. 

3 minutes ago, Deleted said:

I've got good news and bad news...

Good news is you are incorrect about the 40 core limit.
Bad news is it's 15 + 10 for maxed out skill slots.

So it's 25 TOTAL, not 15 + 25...

I was counting personal cores in addition to the 25 org cores.

This part of the announcement made me choke on my ChuHai.

• Each Novean will have 15 assignable organization construct slots, with an additional 10 available from talents.

This change allows us to scale the maximum number of constructs to the number of players. This can be beneficial to smaller organizations because… 

• Players can assign these slots to any organization of their choosing, whether or not they are a member of the organization.

I would dearly love someone to explain how this is not gaslighting.
Seriously, it makes no logical sense at all... How can this be beneficial to smaller organisations? How? In what way could this possibly be beneficial?

3 minutes ago, fridaywitch said:

I was counting personal cores in addition to the 25 org cores.

Ah I was thinking you were wanting to use 40 slots for your org.
gotcha.

I wonder if all our 2 million XP will now only buy 25 slots instead of 275...
or will they refund our XP points

Dear NQ Team ,

I have so far almost always understood all past changes, for logical, balance technical, etc reasons. But with the current plan to restrict the player core places so massively, I must intervene strongly.
As already noted several times by fellow players, this change massively restricts. Alone by the new introduced MU system, Personal Tiles etc pp.
I for my case can no longer run my found place here in the game, alone base, guest parking, showroom and constructs that are distributed would blow up the limit at times. 
I play since the beginning of the beta this game and am so far despite some beta unusual changes to the base game basic mechanics so far satisfied that you can let off steam so creatively. That means I haven't played any other title in that time because I had everything here. Buiitte not misunderstand but with this massive restriction keeps me honestly nothing more here. 
Also the creative aspect is completely lost there. All the big projects that I'm currently implementing and still planning would be for the cat.
I even go so far as to say that I'm willing to pay extra for it if NQ here refrains from such massive restrictions.

2 hours ago, Atmosph3rik said:

IIf you can stomp out the exploit,

The exploit at the root of this was fixesd a few patches back, this is just the follow up to prevent constructs using these to fly but it overshoots drastically in its purpose

It'd good indeed NQ realised and paused deploying this.

Hmm, so I'm gonna throw my hat in the ring here with a suggestion that could be combined with others here, which I didn't really read yet.

What if you get 25 or 50 or even a hundred assignable cores, but only you can only assign half of that to your own org. So, if we took the hundred example, you would have 50 cores in your own personal org with a couple of players and another 50 for other orgs that aren't directly owned by you.
This means you would have 50 that you could sell to other orgs at a more reasonable price than the current limit. It would also solve most smaller org's issues of lacking players for their projects because they could buy those slots. Or just downscale a bit.

Getting people to either donate or sell their constructs could actually be more viable with basically having more assignable but less assignable to a single entity.

1 minute ago, EasternGamer said:

Hmm, so I'm gonna throw my hat in the ring here with a suggestion that could be combined with others here, which I didn't really read yet.

What if you get 25 or 50 or even a hundred assignable cores, but only you can only assign half of that to your own org. So, if we took the hundred example, you would have 50 cores in your own personal org with a couple of players and another 50 for other orgs that aren't directly owned by you.
This means you would have 50 that you could sell to other orgs at a more reasonable price than the current limit. It would also solve most smaller org's issues of lacking players for their projects because they could buy those slots. Or just downscale a bit.

Getting people to either donate or sell their constructs could actually be more viable with basically having more assignable but less assignable to a single entity.

This is still not enough for large operators and ship sellers. It also puts a ceiling for players. People will eventually hit the ceiling and then do what? DU is about BUILDING a new civilization….. up to a certain number of cores.

How will Infinity’s spaceport continue? How about ODY? Other large many many core builds out there? Utopia station? This all becomes impracticable and not doable.

The change to construct limits will kill this game for majority of the content creators. Without content creators (base builders, ship builders, mini-game builders, etc...) this game will result in more people leaving than joining.  Only being able to have 17 max personal cores (that wont show up for alts or friends on their list) and 25 max org cores per player will cripple the community driven efforts.

Few things I can see going bad.

1. Having such a small core cap is going to result in players 'maxing out' after only a few months of game play. The hope for any longevity in a subscription will go out the window. There will be no insensitive to continue to build and play when u can not keep progressing in the game. Once i am no longer able to build in this game, the game is dead to me and i will likely tear down my constructs, delete the resources, and then unsub my accounts.

2. I feel that this change was to target a select few offenders, but majority of the player base now gets impacted and has to "deal with it". Making the entire player base take the hit for a select few people maxing the limit is a sure way to alienate the masses.

3. Orgs will now have to force players to donate core slots makes it so players can no longer progress on an org level AND personal level. We have to now chose one or the other. 

4. Now, if an org member leaves and takes his construct allocation with him, the org will face the "Random loss of cores" due to this. There is no way to prioritize mining units to be lost over HQ base constructs, or dynamic cores over static cores, etc... having it "randomly" lost will result in someone losing a very important core instead of one easily replaced.

5. With the addition of mining units, and the simple fact that a single core can not split more than 1 tile and requires at least 1 core of miners for each tile. Even if i wanted to, i could not produce enough ore on a single account to have miners, a factory, and a few ships required to "move ore, pvp, or simply have fun".

Even with my 3 characters, i will be forced to cut my core limit in half. To simply put if, if i end up reaching max core limits and i can no longer build and progress in this game (even with 3 characters) then i will simply be unsubscribing my 3 accounts and will call it a "fun experience while it lasted".

Not to mention the plenty of larger projects out there like IC spaceport, DU-racing, Unet/Utopia, Huge station, etc.. that will no longer be able to own enough cores to accommodate their communities.

Also, this is not going to fix the issue with space towers on an inactive accounts HQ tile that was automatically assigned in the first place. Now, we will have "random" cores missing from the tower making it even harder to see, and still being a problem for the game and players.

I understand the need for limiting cores... but 25 org slots is just simply too little. Its fine to keep the max core allocation, but only having such a small core count is going to drive more players away from the game than anything. Your subs number will drop and the only thing you will be left with are players that only stick around for 3-6 month subs and then quit, along with a ton of abandoned bases. (which by the way, still likely cause allocation on the server side, so if it has an owner or if it doesnt, wont change the costs much)

The main appeal and attraction to this game was that it was a creative space, and it was all player driven.  Player built ships, player built buildings, player made missions, player made events...

With the core restriction being this small, people are going to keep a lot of their org cores to themselves.  It's too restrictive.  Therefore, it's going to be nigh impossible to have enough cores available for people to have a large organization building, or a ship showroom, or a racetrack.  The system you have is fine, but the numbers proposed need a really really strong re-evaluation.  I'm fine with the org core donation system, it's a neat idea, but...  These numbers are too low if you want any creativity in this game at all.  If this pushes through as it is with no adjustment to the numbers, you will lose ship showrooms, racetracks, space stations like Utopia, and ultimately your playerbase.

36 minutes ago, LeeRoyINC said:

Well, it's official.  This games as much of a scam as Earth 2. 

So let me get this straight. Stations like HUGE Station, Utopia and so on. They use a org that's exclusively for station management. It's what allows these stations to be what they are. 

You're effectively choosing to take these two great game play assets out. Why? 

You've lost one of your most active and dedicated players. If this goes through. I'll be canceling my three accounts. Taking down huge station and then launching a massive social media campaign against this game. Specifically how it's a waste of time. Falsely advertising a free and open constructive universe. Absolutely no care for the dedicated player base. 

"Not worth the bullsh*t" 

Devs are so out of touch with the player Base and the game play loops that are actually working. Are you trying to kill your game? Sure seems like it. Legion, HUGE Station, Utopia, fly mart, got mart, cptn.customs, empire all will be gone. Not to mention the 100s of people who have mining setups that require a static core per hex. 

To clarify, unless a org has like 100 people ( good luck) they can't have any construct numbers worth using? 

Are the org talents a total that has to be filled via player allowcations of cores? 

As usual your explanation on this is garbage and vague. What a waste of the past year and a half and over 2000 hours of play time. Not to mention huge stations 50+ owners and their time invested. 

Wow and to think I was about to drop $5000 usd on a social media ad campaign to build the player base. 

Glad I dodged that one. 

Absolutely the worst business decision I've ever seen a game dev make. 

I figured I should be less of a d*ck and more constructive for this one. 

So I'll offer a alternative. 

Alternative:

Remove subsidiary orgs. Don't let orgs creat orgs. Problem solved. 

Each player can only be a part of 4 orgs. Normally this means atleast one of these orgs is not owned by them. Make orgs expensive to create. Like 100 mill quanta or something. 

The four org player limit. Instead of allowing all 4 orgs to have a core cap. Only allow a player to be the super legste of one org. But can join 3 others. This would help keep players from creating orgs for more cores. As they can only do it once.

This would limit the core count to a hard cap or atleast 500 per player. Assuming they have one org they're a part of ( but not superlagate) and one org where they are super. 

I'm harsh. I don't mess around. Take my comments how you will, you deserved this one. 

Edited by LeeRoyINC

10 minutes ago, Doombad said:

This is still not enough for large operators and ship sellers. It also puts a ceiling for players. People will eventually hit the ceiling and then do what? DU is about BUILDING a new civilization….. up to a certain number of cores.

How will Infinity’s spaceport continue? How about ODY? Other large many many core builds out there? Utopia station? This all becomes impracticable and not doable.

So no ceiling is good... great feedback. As a single player, you have cost involved in storing and network. You seriously think the server can realistically be profitable if you own 2000 cores? 
Every time some one doesn't have a ship cached, it has to be downloaded again which costs in networking. My M-core ship alone is like 300MB. If I slap that in a market for a bit have have players download it again and again, that cost piles up.
And yeah, I do agree the limit is extremely low at the moment, but don't think NQ will suddenly say "Okay here's 250 cores for everyone".

I would like 50 assignable per org with a max 100 assignable total with talents. There, I can get an income off the 50 other total by selling it to other orgs that need it for their projects, or if I'm feeling good, donating some to a few community projects.