Multi Dynamic Core Ships

Lunchbox

I have been wanting to make a large multi core ship that stays in space full time. Is this something that is currently possible, if so, what type of problems or restrictions are there currently.

Thanks in advance!

at the moment you can only dock smaler cores to bigger cores, means xs s m L m s xs, for example but with the new docking system you can stretch it longer in the distance, but when every core is in his place, never use the maneuver tool again :)

unknown.png

I have been on and off building a 6 core ship for a while now. 

my first piece of advice is don't do it. 

but if you proceed:

- aligning cores sucks

- once you have them docked a aligned, take the move tool off your hotbar while working on the ship

- make sure you calculate the additional mass of the extra cores 

- you need to guess your center of mass, and adjustor locations are difficult as can't be placed on the other cores

- make it space only, my ship above has 6 - 8 L rockets for AGG insertion which actually works pretty well once you get the thrust just right

Think of it this way. Only the largest core is active. All the other cores are basically just dead weight. LITERALLY dead weight. 

you cannot add engines or adjusters to them or extra engines. You cannot have any command or control units in them. 

but they do reduce acceleration, maneouvrability and increase air resistance. 

If anyone with permissions ever uses the manouvre tool or somehow “accidentally” activates a remote control panel in one of the sub cores, it’s done for. 

we contemplated a multi core ship back in the day but TBH there is zero use for them other than being white elephant display pieces for the now moribund Alioth expo type events. 

Sorry to say this but DU is a small ship only venture, all possibilities to build large have been canned already. And indeed anything on large core is in fact still a small ship.

Large core is about 127 meters, the enterprice is about 300 and that theoretically is a mid size space vessel.

On 1/23/2022 at 4:51 PM, Wadiss said:

unknown.png

I have been on and off building a 6 core ship for a while now. 

my first piece of advice is don't do it. 

but if you proceed:

- aligning cores sucks

- once you have them docked a aligned, take the move tool off your hotbar while working on the ship

- make sure you calculate the additional mass of the extra cores 

- you need to guess your center of mass, and adjustor locations are difficult as can't be placed on the other cores

- make it space only, my ship above has 6 - 8 L rockets for AGG insertion which actually works pretty well once you get the thrust just right

That ship looks amazing!!!