Are huge haulers obsolete now?

Sabretooth

Ive said it a few times in chat and now Im asking on the forums:

With this little ore to be produced, no megas to be mined and no multi person mining trips. What need is there for ships with more than about 500Kl-800Kl of storage space? (3 to 5 L containers)

So I think haulers will be maxed to S cores or small M cores (when the S core is too small for your design)

I do not think anyone needs a 20 L container ship to move things. 

Which then automatically "solves" the engine wall problem and mass stacking of elements that were needed for braking/airlift/steering.

Also "solves" the element lag problem (if you don't plaster your ship with lights Sabretooth!!!) 

It may also "solve" the markets landingpads as the ships are getting smaller. 

Im happy with the removal of them fugly haulers, maybe now we get more designer carriers.

26a311c7-58f4-46e1-a367-bae9d853a141.thumb.png.414baadfd440129a4ac06fcb274b988b.png

Edited by Sabretooth
Wrong title

• Sabretooth changed the title to Are huge haulers obsolete now?

There's always missions and the people who run them with 10+ alts who will need chonky ships. Additionally, transport of ore between planets on a basis that is around monthly or so still requires some big bois but in general, due to the current fuel prices, huge haulers aren't exactly obsolete just less important in my opinion.

Edited by Koriandah

1 hour ago, Koriandah said:

There's always missions and the people who run them with 10+ alts who will need chonky ships. Additionally, transport of ore between planets on a basis that is around monthly or so still requires some big bois but in general, due to the current fuel prices, huge haulers aren't exactly obsolete just less important in my opinion.

Gonna be interesting times when the speed changes come and those things can't go max speed anymore. 

54 minutes ago, VandelayIndustries said:

Gonna be interesting times when the speed changes come and those things can't go max speed anymore. 

Stop that heretic speech it angers me that it is, even considered to do this to our precious big ships.

1 hour ago, VandelayIndustries said:

It's happening regardless as they have said. One way or another bigger ships will be going slower. We just don't know yet if it's tied to core size or ties to mass.

And considering DU is based on Newtonian physics and there is virtually no friction in space, that makes no sense.

The only difference between a small and large ships in space is mass, which dictate how much inertia a ship has.

Meaning as long as you are willing to expend the extra energy and time to accelerate the mass, there should be no speed difference between small and large.

If they are doing this, they might as well throw in the towel and go full Star Wars with airplane flight behavior in space.

16 hours ago, Sabretooth said:

Ive said it a few times in chat and now Im asking on the forums:

With this little ore to be produced, no megas to be mined and no multi person mining trips. What need is there for ships with more than about 500Kl-800Kl of storage space? (3 to 5 L containers)

So I think haulers will be maxed to S cores or small M cores (when the S core is too small for your design)

I do not think anyone needs a 20 L container ship to move things. 

Which then automatically "solves" the engine wall problem and mass stacking of elements that were needed for braking/airlift/steering.

Also "solves" the element lag problem (if you don't plaster your ship with lights Sabretooth!!!) 

It may also "solve" the markets landingpads as the ships are getting smaller. 

Im happy with the removal of them fugly haulers, maybe now we get more designer carriers.

26a311c7-58f4-46e1-a367-bae9d853a141.thumb.png.414baadfd440129a4ac06fcb274b988b.png

You definitely need a big hauler for missions.dualuniverse_2021-10-31_21h10m15s.pngdualuniverse_2021-10-31_21h03m30s.png

47 minutes ago, CptLoRes said:

And considering DU is based on Newtonian physics and there is virtually no friction in space, that makes no sense.

The only difference between a small and large ships in space is mass, which dictate how much inertia a ship has.

Meaning as long as you are willing to expend the extra energy and time to accelerate the mass, there should be no speed difference between small and large.

If they are doing this, they might as well throw in the towel and go full Star Wars with airplane flight behavior in space.

Gameplay > realism

It's always cringe putting realism up to video games. You add things for immersion when you can, but it's a game.  The flights already are stupid with designs don't add lift in atmo, Magic "space fuel" and warp drive.  Shooting a railgun projectile while flying 30k speed onto another ship also doing 30k.  The speed changes are desperately needed, and they are coming. 

1 hour ago, VandelayIndustries said:

Good, now you might need a convoy and protection for those, OR do multiple ships that are smaller going together.  Good riddance to the people who make hundreds of millions a day flying ships like that solo and AFK.

There are a lot of freighters to kill in PvP Zone.

If you're really fed up with people earning millions of quanta, you can try chasing them.

But it takes a lot of work and patience.

PvP in Dual Universe is in a dire state.

If you follow a ship in the atmosphere you get a terrible desynchronization.
And I'm not even talking about the fact that it's limited to only 5 miles of sight range.
And if you miss their departure, the universe is so big there's no way to find them.

It's possible, but it's a real pain.

While players who do their mission can earn billions with bots or scripts while they sleep.

Hmmmm.

As Im reading the reactions to this topic it seems they are only used by people who take advantage of the mission system.

Maybe I was asking the wrong question. Maybe the question should be:

With the new slower mining system, how many days will it take to fill up a 20L container  (about 3800Kl) ship?

I was under the impression that it takes so long now, that you might as well fly smaller chunks with smaller ships.

I use my haulers for ores I bought or elements I sell, and usually transport somewhere between 1 and 10ML on my trips to and from the market.

Hybrid, no AGG, go into orbit and land again on the other side of the planet. And I like wings and dislike brakes and brake landing.

3 hours ago, Sabretooth said:

how many days will it take to fill up a 20L container

About a month if playing solo with only 1 account?
Let me provide some calculations to you. One mining unit provides 230 l/h with maxed handling talents.
With good recharging talents 1 player can maintain around 30 mining units running simultaneously.
That being said, that's 165kl daily, so it's around 23 days to fill 20L containers. So if you are playing in an org with, let's say, 3 players, you would need to use such a hauler once a week.