There was only one wrong decision about Demeter Update (my opinion).

Trisbarl

I think the Demeter update is going in the right direction, especially the autominig is just right.

But I think they should have removed the surface ores rather than the subsurface.

The surface looks ugly and, above all, unrealistic through all these clumps of ore.
In addition, searching / scanning and farming the ores under the surface just felt more real!

I would be really happy if this is revised again.

(This was translated by google, I hope it's still reasonably understandable)

Tris

Sub-surface mining wasn't removed because of realism, it was removed because it left a million abandoned mining tunnels running through all the planets and the data-storage/loading was becoming an issue. Surface rocks are ugly though, and it would be nice if they'd trim them down a lot (perhaps cut the number down to a 10th and make 'em give that much more ore and take longer to harvest to compensate?)

I agree with Taekessel, all these many thousands of tunnels and caves increased the data tremendously to levels where it became a problem for server and data transfer to the player computer.

But I would suggest that only when armed wth the haresting tol, the rocks show their ore-type indicating glow colors. Otherwise they should look like regular rocks. This suggestion may come halfway towards your own wishes, Trisbarl.

On 1/14/2022 at 12:29 AM, Taelessael said:

Sub-surface mining wasn't removed because of realism, it was removed because it left a million abandoned mining tunnels running through all the planets and the data-storage/loading was becoming an issue. Surface rocks are ugly though, and it would be nice if they'd trim them down a lot (perhaps cut the number down to a 10th and make 'em give that much more ore and take longer to harvest to compensate?)

OK that's an argument.

But I also have an idea for that :) you could do underground mining in your own instance. So you have to place an element in your territory which gives you access to your own underground area, e.g. in a 1km depth.

This item could be an elevator, teleporter to its mine shaft.

So this does not have to be calculated for anyone else and thus the world itself is relieved and there are still ores underground.

I gave you a blue heart because I like your idea for what it is, but I do not believe it will ever be done that way again, even with elevators or similar elements.

For my part (but I am not everybody), I prever the new system though it needs an urgent revamp. But yes, I liked to see big ore nodes underground, though the mining ook too long and was a bit too cumbersome. I go for the new system, but tax needs to be halved, and players need to be able to run 16 to 32 more fully calibrated MUs as the current maximum allows.. Once a MU has achieved a 100% calibration, it sould remain on those 100%. Only if the calibration is below 100%, it should get worse by the hour and require eventually a recalibration. This is just my own opinion. At the moment, with the new system, I will get bankrupt as I do not make enough quanta each week.

12 hours ago, Trisbarl said:

OK that's an argument.

But I also have an idea for that :) you could do underground mining in your own instance. So you have to place an element in your territory which gives you access to your own underground area, e.g. in a 1km depth.

This item could be an elevator, teleporter to its mine shaft.

So this does not have to be calculated for anyone else and thus the world itself is relieved and there are still ores underground.

Such mining would need to be instanced rather than just a km down, as the tunnels load in to some degree from several km away.

In so far as instanced mining goes, there'd be an eventual buildup of useless data again in the servers. It wouldn't bother most players because they wouldn't be loading it, but NQ would still need to save it somewhere, so it would be diverting money away from other areas that could use it more. Probably better if they just improve the asteroid system since they can wipe that clean whenever they cycle the asteroids.