New features to bring players together?

Hachiro

The latest patches were needed steps for the game, but are no final solution. Because they brought good changes, but reduced the reasons to build and play together with others more and more.

Example:

Mining Units

I like this change all in all. But this resulted in every player having his own tile (or several tiles). So this makes it harder for multiple people to build and play together, because the more players are in the group, the larger the area becomes they need for their ressources. So if they build a city or their base together in the center, several players have to fly long distances to get to there MUs.

Yes, this is not completely a new issue. Even before you had to fly to the next unclaimed territory to mine there. Even before you had to fly to other planets to get rare ores. So it's not like the system with the mining units caused this issue. But it amplifies it. Especially new players who nearly just want T1-ores for their projects get quite separated. You can build an Industry Line together, but aside from that there is no real benefit in playing and building close together. It's currently more that if you want to build together, you have to overcome the difficulties that come with that (PvP is another topic). And I think, if this "isolation" can be broken it would give DU a huge boost.

To be honest, I don't have a real balanced idea on how to solve this issue. To make it more attractive to build together, to connect and build large bases and cities instead of every player having his own tile with a single building on it. But maybe you have some ideas for this?

So far as building cities goes... A single large shared industrial structure would provide a group's manufacturing, and a few ships would probably easily manage their cooperative utility-needs, while the rest of it goes toward the actual most important purpose of the game: hanging out with other people and making/doing something cool. MU didn't change that, they just removed the need for players to go on mining expeditions so they could fund the other stuff. 

• 2 weeks later...

My experience with MUs is, that they don't generate enough income to cover all costs. In my own case, the maximum amount of fully calibrated MUs generates just around 90% of my weekly needs, slowly bankrupting me. And on Facebook, I heard very similar from many other players. A few players seem to be fie, but I do not know, what they do to be in a better position than the rest of us. I actually envy those few players. I like the new mining system, but it needs some revamping. Same with tax. If cut in half, the system will begin to work for me.

Whatever system it is or will be, it needs to accomodate different playing styles.

Edited by Hirnsausen