The sad thing about DU is that it is still like Halflife 1 graphics and still HL1 has better elements and effects.

Warlander

I would say if you want you could skip the train scene and FF to 6:10. But watch the walk through the lab and try to not see the textures, props, elements, effects or sound effects in DU and see how sad DU is vs a game back in 1998. 

Edited by Warlander

• Warlander changed the title to The sad thing about DU is that it is still like Halflife 1 graphics and still HL1 has better elements and effects.

Hmm, yes, it certainly sad... for HL1, it makes me wanna cry how beautiful DU is.
The only similarity is that we have 0.25m voxels to work with. There is an absolute limit to the detail we can do... but you have to take a step back and think about this: not everyone has the ability or time to make a beautiful design and will just make a square hallway, no matter how incremental you make the voxel size. Also, I have no idea where you see a similarity in textures...
When we get the vertex editor, it will be significantly easier to make things beautiful with no warping, but until then.... don't even dream of comparing HL1 and DU. I tried playing HL1 not long ago and got bored like 30 mins in with how repetitive it was and terribly the graphics aged.
Lastly, all games that don't have voxels are fundamentally much easier to make beautiful because they make meshes from the beginning. Voxels add an additional step and layer of complexity to things before making the mesh the game uses to render stuff. 

16dd250f-26b2-4d85-a532-884b1abf820c-800.png
8d7ae86c-5c6f-4e3a-b884-0ff2805620be-800.png
The above is ODY's Rocinante. https://du-creators.org/makers/Objective Driveyards/ship/Rocinante

Oh, and don't forget DU has a 5km render distance for ship constructs, and around a 50+ SU render distance for planets. I don't think HL1 can do more than 100 m
:)

What would be epic, however, was if you could configure a ship wide voxel scale size down to a certain value. But that would be extremely complex to handle in the backend and balance reasons..

1 hour ago, EasternGamer said:

Oh, and don't forget DU has a 5km render distance for ship constructs, and around a 50+ SU render distance for planets. I don't think HL1 can do more than 100 m

What would be epic, however, was if you could configure a ship wide voxel scale size down to a certain value. But that would be extremely complex to handle in the backend and balance reasons..

you can see the construction on L cores up to 10 kilometers.
The distance is a function of the size, the smallest disappears before.

But 10 kilometers of vision I believe that lowers all the construction games.

13 hours ago, EasternGamer said:

I can literally see alioth, sanctuary and madis from my space station. So thats at least 155SU away!!

7 hours ago, Sabretooth said:

I can literally see alioth, sanctuary and madis from my space station. So thats at least 155SU away!!

I know that looks impressive at first glance, but from a tech perspective it's dead simple.

When you see other planets far away in the game you are not actually looking at a voxel planet, but instead a simple sphere representation with a planet texture that is periodically updated to reflect any large scale changes. It is only when you get relatively close that the sphere is transitioned into the actual voxel planet. So with the possible exception of some close by moons, DU is in fact only ever rendering a single voxel planet at the time.

And NQ has still not yet managed to implement decent voxel performance that can deal with long distance LOD etc.

And failing that they had to 'invent' the mesh server feature that converts voxel constructs into normal 3D meshes instead, and the reason they did that was so that they could now use the already built in LOD features of the Ungine 3D engine. And even so they are still struggling big time with performance both server and client side.

Name another persistent world, multiplayers building game with better graphics.  Please, if it exists i'd like to play it.

Even outside the building genre, I don't think there are any games with a larger seamless world, or more possible concurrent players in the same world.

DU may not live up to its own standards.  But no one else is doing anything better.

On 1/3/2022 at 9:47 AM, CptLoRes said:

I know that looks impressive at first glance, but from a tech perspective it's dead simple.

When you see other planets far away in the game you are not actually looking at a voxel planet, but instead a simple sphere representation with a planet texture that is periodically updated to reflect any large scale changes. It is only when you get relatively close that the sphere is transitioned into the actual voxel planet. So with the possible exception of some close by moons, DU is in fact only ever rendering a single voxel planet at the time.

And NQ has still not yet managed to implement decent voxel performance that can deal with long distance LOD etc.

And failing that they had to 'invent' the mesh server feature that converts voxel constructs into normal 3D meshes instead, and the reason they did that was so that they could now use the already built in LOD features of the Ungine 3D engine. And even so they are still struggling big time with performance both server and client side.

The point is, comparing DU to HL1 is simply stupid because the one was done before voxel technology even was really a thing. 0.25m voxels are sort of a good medium to keep stuff cheap enough while making sense for a player to actually manipulate. Imagine if you had to do 5 times more work if the res was 0.05m... only a few people would actually want that level of detail.

On 1/4/2022 at 4:30 AM, Atmosph3rik said:

Name another persistent world, multiplayers building game with better graphics.  Please, if it exists i'd like to play it.

Even outside the building genre, I don't think there are any games with a larger seamless world, or more possible concurrent players in the same world.

DU may not live up to its own standards.  But no one else is doing anything better.

Ever played Archeage?
Certainly not a grandiose graphic splendor, but atmospheric.
Also no singleshard technology, but PvP battles with over 200 players, machines, cars, ships, cannons, etc. easily doable.
The battles on the sea alone are phenomenal and bring hours of fun - not just one player, but many players. You sail on the sea, some looking for schools of fish, others to search for sunken treasures or, to bring valuable cargoes to other continents and see the horizon in the distance. Then the one on the mast first sees one, two, five enemy ships, unrest spreads among the crew, buff food is eaten, magic potions are drunk, the cannons are manned with players, ammunition is distributed.

A few players are assigned to secure the masts, then strike the sails during quick turns. At the same time, the support classes provide plenty of buffs and protection spells, and the healers prepare for the worst. Mages and ranged fighters look for the best positions on the ship and the tanks and melees wait below deck for the signal to board. Whether you will be the attacker or the defender, the underdog or the winner, it will be a grandiose day and the players will have fun.

The ships will be aligned, the wind direction will be observed, the right sails will be set and the enemy ships will be flanked. It is the whole group that decides, each individual contributes to the victory or defeat. What cannons to use, what ammunition, what sails, what figureheads, what masts, rudders the ship has, how it was loaded, how many players are on the ship to ensure the weight and thus maneuverability. So many possibilities in ship selection, in equipment, in over 200 different classes of characters. But the game offers even more...castle battles, area battles, guild wars, housing without phasing, arenas, Battlegrounds, raids, dungeons, quests.....

In the end the developers made grandiose mistakes and the game almost died out - while the potential, content and server stability was top notch, far superior especially in mass battles.

And here in Dual Universe? Seriously? we get excited because you can see a mega tower or huge building areas like runways from far away? We are happy because there is an arbitrary number of distance given? you could just change the numbers there and make kilometers into miles, then you can see even further?
One sees also in the Space no ships on 2SU, but a marking of the position. So you shoot at a marker and don't have a real close combat where you really see the damage - and no, the browser window in the gunner's seat isn't half great and doesn't give a gameplay feeling of really participating in a battle. The huge area in DualUniverse is not really positive either - it just feels empty and dead. The planets, moons are uninhabited, no living creatures, no vegetation....nothing, except for a few MininUnits every now and then. Mass battles? not possible in DualUniverse (yet?)! Ever flown with 3-5-10 ships side by side? the game doesn't even give a clean display of the ships' positions. Mostly not even the ships are displayed, but only the markings of the ships, because the distance for rendering is much too large. You can also see as a browser game, there you also only see something on a map - but is not in the middle of a real battle.

So what is it about DualUniverse that makes players want to play it? Even the "Housinig" is ridiculous with so few housing elements, alone the tiny selection of beds, wardrobes, pictures.....make other games better. What really remains in the end is the voxel system, where you can still build something, but which is also increasingly limited.

You can hype DualUniverse all you want - currently it would just be a failed dream. Hopefully, I still look at the next 3-5 years of development.

On 1/4/2022 at 12:30 PM, Atmosph3rik said:

No man’s sky?