MU's are compromizing the building system

Serula

Totally agree, NQ has exponentially increased the "burnout rate" for the player. You either pay for taxes or get demoted into Sanctuary or a Space station if you can build one. I myself have drastically reduced the Tiles because of the Fomo/Stress. Its supposed to be Fun and not a Job. I understand that this is the mechanism they choose to allow players to requisition older Tiles and prevent Land Grab, but the upkeep is just too time consuming preventing you from enjoying the game.

18 minutes ago, Azraeil said:

The taxes system means that I am having to do the calibrations on loop as well to just to keep myself from losing what I already have. The result is that I can't really engage in the element of the game I enjoy (building) because I have to monetise my playtime just to keep what I already have.

The two next week are free taxe.

And the taxe go down after. 

You are safe now ;)

I was really excited to have the mining units. Was hoping to be able to build while I have them run in the background. Then came the mini-game and having to calibrate every few days. I am down to one mining tile on Alioth because I hate the whole process. It is tedious and boring. I have dialed back playing the game since it is no longer fun.

I have done nothing but calibrate MU, collect ore, sell said ore, just to pay taxes. I think a good solution would be to make your 5 hq tiles tax free, and anything over that, 250,000 quanta a week tax. 1 mil a week, for every hex, is just to much. I’m on the verge of quitting DU. I can’t enjoy the game anymore. All I do is calibrate, sell, and pay tax. No longer enjoyable.

The basic dilemma here is fun vs work. There needs to be a healthy balance, I would recommend the 80:20 rule. (20% work, 80% fun) The game feels the opposite with the work required (asteroid mining, planet mining, mission running, etc.) being more like 90% of the time people play, leaving little time to spend, build and PvP. The lack of the latter also reduces the gameplay for everyone.

Some may enjoy the work to make $, (i.e. making / selling blueprints - not everyone has those skills) but from the feedback throughout the forums, the vast majority don’t enjoy the slog, so it needs to be dialed back.  The more free time people have to spend, create and fight will not only add to the fun part of the equation, but is needed for a healthy economy.

The answer is the question, how do we gain wealth quicker/easier without breaking the economy (inflation)?

42 minutes ago, Caerus said:

The basic dilemma here is fun vs work. There needs to be a healthy balance, I would recommend the 80:20 rule. (20% work, 80% fun) The game feels the opposite with the work required (asteroid mining, planet mining, mission running, etc.) being more like 90% of the time people play, leaving little time to spend, build and PvP.

This is the root problem with DU. The game is far from finished and there is just not enough to do for players to have fun in general.

But instead of focusing on adding more fun, NQ seem to have this idea that they can somehow enhance what little fun there is by making it harder to reach. But that it not how it works, so the result is that they are killing what little fun there is instead as demonstrated by 0.23 and Demeter. Especially for building which is supposed to be a creative process at the the opposite spectrum of grind.

Personally, I have a group of 7 tiles on Alioth, plus my main HQ and my Sanctuary tile which I mine T1 ore on - so about 40 MU's in total.  I try to calibrate every 4 days to maintain maximum efficiency and yes, I play the mini-game and pick up the ground spawn ore.  Estimate this takes me at least an hour or two a day.   Then you need to factor in the time to collect the ore from the containers and bring to market.  This has definitely become an exhaustive gameplay loop in order to generate enough money to pay my 8 million quanta in taxes a week to keep these machines running.

I like the idea of reducing the calibration of a MU to once a week on average (with appropriate changes to calibration charge up time)

Tile taxes, need to be significantly reduced and based on the potential ore being collected from the tile (there should be high and low cost tiles on a planet).  The taxes need to be based on a set minimum value of the potential extracted ore (ie 25 quanta for T1) *yes market bots take away from the player driven economy but I think its necessary

In regards to the tedious issue of picking up ground spawn ore on a tile, a cool feature would be to have that drone from the mini-game fly around your tile picking up ore (think of a Roomba), depositing in a designated container, for which you would need to expend calibration charges to keep running.  Just an idea.

In development there is this thing called dogfooding (people making dog food should be able to eat it themselfs), which for software means that devs have to use their own products.

So DU devs should be required to maintain a tile cluster like any other player, and be restricted to use only resources gathered from those tiles what they play test to se how much they enjoy it. And if they did, it would seem obvious that the current TAX+MU system would never have made it to the live servers.

Why can't we have a auto calibration feature. Industry is currently running continuously, ignoring bugs, so why can't mining units.

The game designers could require a player to be logged in within 2km, for calibration charges to be transferred to the MU. There could be silly rules like this to keep the game in check.

If no to auto calibrations then at least give us 5 days of no decay. A casual player can't afford to login for an hour each day to recalibrate, especially if they only have the weekend to play. Adjust the calibration charges gained, as needed.

Also why can't we have a auto tax deposit... Wait, the tax system is also a poorly designed resource sink and is the worst part of the game.

We need a creative alternative.

More importantly we need a creative director, that idk, is capable of thinking bigger than harvesting rocks on the ground (the second worst thing is harvesting glowing rocks).

P.S. This is a sci-fi mmo, why are we still using hand tools! 

I really want to know who said taxation was a good idea?

I mean a huge bit of this is the negative emotions tied to the word tax. If NQ simply called it a bonus you get for calibration and did give us a forever use even if at 1/L per hour ability a large amount of peoples negative impressions would have never occurred. 

Now there would still be some concern but please please NQ for the sake of the game focus on fun, think is or will this be fun? If there needs to be a grind make sure you market it in the most positive way possible. For example tax could have been a called a bonus and a large amount of negative emotion leaves with simple name. You did this right with the minigame. That is a grind and the simple naming of calling it a minigame helped a lot. People are people and people rarely know what they truly want until they experience it. 

On 1/12/2022 at 11:22 PM, Endstar said:

I really want to know who said taxation was a good idea?

I mean a huge bit of this is the negative emotions tied to the word tax. If NQ simply called it a bonus you get for calibration and did give us a forever use even if at 1/L per hour ability a large amount of peoples negative impressions would have never occurred. 

Now there would still be some concern but please please NQ for the sake of the game focus on fun, think is or will this be fun? If there needs to be a grind make sure you market it in the most positive way possible. For example tax could have been a called a bonus and a large amount of negative emotion leaves with simple name. You did this right with the minigame. That is a grind and the simple naming of calling it a minigame helped a lot. People are people and people rarely know what they truly want until they experience it. 

With the Tax mechanic they have effectively said, hey whatever work you have done to get to the stage you are in the game isn't enough, pay me to keep what you have. It doesn't much matter if they call it tax or insurance, it pretty much comes down to street thuggery by the devs trying to solve the "problem" of player progression. No game that has a pay to maintain mechanic has a player base that enjoys it, look at the capital ship release by elite dangerous, and more to the point it doesn't solve the problem you are trying to address with it, you just push players into looking for exploits or bypasses of your punitive mechanics or they go and play a game they can still have fun in, leaving an ever smaller population that has an expanding proportion of cheaters and exploiters.