Novaquark is now "The MetaVerse Company"

blundertwink

13 minutes ago, Overstimuloredom said:

I see where you coming from but, the guy has some serious credentials, and I don't think any of us know how much he might or might not have contributed to the code.

Well i'm not saying he is fake scientist, but this also not means anything too. Very educated people lie too. And do unhonest things. And so on. Cynicly speaking, they can do it even better, then someone stupid.

At the end of the day, JC is pretty much bunkrupted on KS promise, that was kinda built around his reputation. Now game at mercy of Quanta Nick and some guy fired from Ubisoft or something for making bad shooter.

9 minutes ago, Overstimuloredom said:

Fair.

And juicy details, I hope ubisoft guy knows who to exploit dopamine circuits. But sounds kinda bleak as you say it.

When your 2 last projects are an epic fail, who do you go to work for ...? ^^

22 minutes ago, Overstimuloredom said:

I see where you coming from but, the guy has some serious credentials, and I don't think any of us know how much he might or might not have contributed to the code.

He does have serious credentials. I'm sure he's very qualified and extremely bright....in his field of Robotics/AI.

Tech isn't interchangeable -- knowing a lot about robotics (or even AI) does not equip you to be successful as a game developer. 

The most important concept as a game developer isn't even technical...it's almost easy to develop a game feature technically compared to making a practical, simple, and engaging design. I'm not saying code is easy (trust me I know), but technicality is only one part of gamedev. 

Even if JC wrote all the code and it worked flawlessly, that wouldn't make a great game by itself...and certainly wouldn't make him a good CEO for the studio. Good CEOs don't do the coding or design themselves (not for a studio of NQ's size), but they know how to build their vision around experts that do. 

JC is no doubt a smart person, but he was never a good game studio CEO...or even a good CEO in general, which isn't really a dig against him...since he didn't have much experience as a CEO and had zero experience in the field of game development. 

My whole thing is that you would think that if NQ/JC were actually smart they would have built this platform with actual tools that arent short sighted and doomed to end up the same way as DU that is the byproduct of how NQ thinks and implements software vs actually making a game.

There are so many things missing as a front end platform solution in terms of World/Space generation or scaling, Resource seeing, Limiting or finding a better way to mine that does not take away part of the main selling point without finding better solutions that other teams or studios would need if they go that route that NQ should have tried vs wasting time/money/resources making and deleting system mechanics.

IF NQ were a legit MetaVerse Company they would have something to sell and if they did what would stop us as players from banding together as a studio and liscense their platform and make a better version of DU and potentially a better game. I think if some AAA studio picked up the tech it might be better but I think at this point if NQ has hoop dreams of running a Metaverse platform then they should really think about selling the DU IP to a better studio and focus on the platform. 

Either way the platform or the game suffers since both are lacking and NQ is not cappable of doing both.

5 hours ago, Overstimuloredom said:

Nobody can say for sure, but there is a big difference from how a scientist would program compared to an experienced game programmer.

In my (limited) experience scientists are all about 'proof of concept' and getting results quickly, not caring about how efficient the code may or may not be as long as the result is scientifically correct.

While game programmers generally are on the other side of the spectrum obsessing about every line of code trying to squeeze out as much performance as possible. It is also worth noting that most 'break through' technologies in games (like the stuff from Carmack etc.) has been about findings shortcuts that are 'mostly correct' and executes much quicker then something that is completely correct from a scientific viewpoint.

One should first clarify what exactly one wants to understand by metaverse and what it really is or, what it could be.
Ready player one" is always cited here as an example, but we are still decades away from that.

Even Facebook Meta and the like are not even close to being able to really implement such a "vision". Facebook is currently still just a data octopus that is becoming more and more powerful and larger, because it absorbs all possibilities of data retrieval as sources and integrates them into the company. PR also plays a powerful role there, more gossip and vision than real implementation of a virtual connected world.

Facebook dreams of networking, of bringing people together all over the world. Great, I can trade drugs, slaves, and weapons everywhere via Facebook, Whattsup, and the like....as long as I bring in traffic, information, and money for Facebook, I can get away with anything.
It's amazing that we're always talking about data protection, worrying about privacy, afraid that the government might oppress or spy on us, but at the same time we're so transparent today that we're literally walking around digitally naked on the Internet and thus in the real world.
Whether you like Facebook or think it's evil and prefer to use something else, The Group, and therefore the data, are all bundled together. So it doesn't matter where you log in and share your information. Facebook, Whattsup, instagram, Oculus, Facebook /Messenger, Workplace, Novi, Diem, .....
I don't see this as a metaverse in the gamer's sense, but rather a metaverse around the topic of data collection, statistics, transparency of the users and, to that end, a management, monitoring and control of the global population. It doesn't matter whether you're steering, controlling or spying on a single individual, a group, a party, a state or an entire government or country.

Edited by Zarcata

7 hours ago, Zarcata said:

One should first clarify what exactly one wants to understand by metaverse and what it really is or, what it could be.
Ready player one" is always cited here as an example, but we are still decades away from that.

That's the thing about the metaverse, there's no precise definition. VR/AR isn't even a requirement, although it's strongly associated with that tech. 

7 hours ago, Zarcata said:

Facebook is currently still just a data octopus that is becoming more and more powerful and larger, because it absorbs all possibilities of data retrieval as sources and integrates them into the company.

It isn't about absorbing the data itself of course, it's about selling it via targeted ads...FB (or any company really) don't actually find value in your data unless there's a way to monetize it. Not all data is actually valuable.

Monetizing data isn't getting easier over time -- for example, Apple's IDFA deprecation is fairly game-changing for FB. It's likely Google will follow and deprecate GAID eventually. 

Hence Meta's desire to sell people digital clothes -- they know how much of a status symbol a social profile can be and want to exploit it in a way that doesn't depend on data alone....because that business is only going to face more restrictions on a legal and hardware level. 

I'm sure Meta will still monetize data in a variety of ways, but the big attraction of a metaverse for FB is selling digital goods. This is one reason why the metaverse offers us nothing new or interesting -- it's just an extension of real life inequality and pressure manifested digitally.

If Meta has its way, the young will feel just as insecure about their digital profile as their RL body and will spend lots of money to equip it with the best clothes and accessories. An instagram study essentially proves that social media is hugely impactful to young self-esteem in a negative way and FB wants to monetize the hell out of that. 

IMO, monetizing data is still going to be immensely profitable in the near future, but FB's push toward a metaverse is in part driven by them wanting to get out of that business to combat growing restrictions in that space. 

5 hours ago, Underhook said:

So, is this metaverse just a new name for the dark web or is it different?

The dark web is completely different...the dark web is just "internet" that can't be accessed except via a special anonymizing browser like Tor. 

The metaverse is a digital world where people "live". That means it (to some extent) has its own economy and is decentralized enough that it can grow and evolve, but centralized enough to enforce interoperability (can wear those $200 digital sneakers even if you jump into a third-party game). 

FB's ambition is to have people working, shopping, and playing in the metaverse...they literally want you to live in this digital world. 

Again, it's puzzling because the metaverse presented in science fiction isn't something to aspire to build...it's like people watching 101 Dalmatians and thinking "hey, a puppy coat is a great idea!". They read about evil corporate powers and want to be those powers.

There's nothing especially good about the metaverse -- if you thought social media was dehumanizing trash, just wait!  

Even if NQ could build a metaverse (which...come on, DU is further from being a metaverse than Second Life)...IMO, they'd be arrogant and misguided for trying. 

2 hours ago, blundertwink said:

The dark web is completely different...the dark web is just "internet" that can't be accessed except via a special anonymizing browser like Tor. 

The metaverse is a digital world where people "live". That means it (to some extent) has its own economy and is decentralized enough that it can grow and evolve, but centralized enough to enforce interoperability (can wear those $200 digital sneakers even if you jump into a third-party game). 

FB's ambition is to have people working, shopping, and playing in the metaverse...they literally want you to live in this digital world. 

Again, it's puzzling because the metaverse presented in science fiction isn't something to aspire to build...it's like people watching 101 Dalmatians and thinking "hey, a puppy coat is a great idea!". They read about evil corporate powers and want to be those powers.

There's nothing especially good about the metaverse -- if you thought social media was dehumanizing trash, just wait!  

Even if NQ could build a metaverse (which...come on, DU is further from being a metaverse than Second Life)...IMO, they'd be arrogant and misguided for trying. 

I guess it depends more on which way you look at it. In the movie, too, the "bad guys" were striving for power and wealth and...against that, society and each individual stood as losers in a broken world. Of course, a businessman then thinks of profits and not whether there are a few people who then suffer. It took years before Facebook blocked various accounts and disclosed data for tracking criminals through drug, weapons and human trafficking. He" is certainly not a good person.