the vocal miniority

wokka1

In any online game, and even some offline, there are always a vocal minority in forums, discord, etc.  NQ, please, do not just listen to them, and hope you aren't.  The recent reversals of decisions that were given, and then changed, indicate that you are indeed listening to these people.  

You have a survey system built into the game, expand it and start using it for active players.  You have many players that do not watch discord, or not often, and same with the forums.

part of the problem is that some announcements are only done in one place or the other, and not listed on the launcher.

Please start putting all announcements on the launcher, and use the survey system to gauge what the player base wants.

Thanks

3 hours ago, wokka1 said:

The recent reversals of decisions that were given, and then changed, indicate that you are indeed listening to these people.

It's more likely that they are listening to the numbers. They need to reduce production costs but also to keep subscriptions. As they can't maximize both at once, it's a balance act somewhere in the middle. When they risk to loose to many players with the last attempt to save costs, than they step back.

I really dislike the line of reasoning that says that NQ is listening to the "wrong group" -- I see no evidence that NQ really engages with player feedback in general...that's one of the main complaints about this studio. 

Beyond that...it's weird that people think they are being "influenced" by some cabal of players as if they are children incapable of making their own choices. 

There's plenty to debate with NQ's choices, but at least give them credit for making the choices they have. Right or wrong, these are NQ's decisions and they alone have the power to make them. 

I'd love to see evidence that there's any group of players that NQ actually listens to or engages with, because I don't see that here in the forums. 

+1 for the surveys. NQ, ask opinions on there. I'd like to see responses but thats not as important. Also most of us don't even know what we really want or what is fun in practice so that might not even work.

Edited by TonyTones

I'm pretty sure that the main driver for the choices NQ makes currently are based oon the amount of money they can spend on a month by month basis and will take any action needed to not spend more.

I believe that as long as NQ does not secure funding that allows them more freedom in their choices it will stay that way as revenue from players is and will be virtually irrelevant in the bigger picture for the foreseeable future as this will not come close to covering the cost they have every month and becaus eof that, surviving on what is in the bank will take precedence over what players want or ask for.

20 hours ago, wokka1 said:

In any online game, and even some offline, there are always a vocal minority in forums, discord, etc.  NQ, please, do not just listen to them, and hope you aren't.  The recent reversals of decisions that were given, and then changed, indicate that you are indeed listening to these people.  

You have a survey system built into the game, expand it and start using it for active players.  You have many players that do not watch discord, or not often, and same with the forums.

part of the problem is that some announcements are only done in one place or the other, and not listed on the launcher.

Please start putting all announcements on the launcher, and use the survey system to gauge what the player base wants.

Thanks

I'm pretty sure they went against the views of the majority of players on the forum

Actually, while OP author somewhat misses what is why, thing is, that some players have much more "kings ear" and sway over desicion making is pretty much fact (also important info leaks about changes). I seen it by my own eyes. Extent of their influence is another question, but they at least have % over 0.

While I can't drop hard proof here to not burn names I still kinda not want to do harm, its up to you to believe me or not.

As a pleb you can only make like useless forum topics no one ever cares. Or troll simps in Discord just for pleasure.

7 hours ago, le_souriceau said:

Actually, while OP author somewhat misses what is why, thing is, that some players have much more "kings ear" and sway over desicion making is pretty much fact (also important info leaks about changes). I seen it by my own eyes. Extent of their influence is another question, but they at least have % over 0.

While I can't drop hard proof here to not burn names I still kinda not want to do harm, its up to you to believe me or not.

As a pleb you can only make like useless forum topics no one ever cares. Or troll simps in Discord just for pleasure.

Just because some players (supposedly) have lines of communication with someone at NQ doesn't make it a "fact" that they have sway. 

Exactly who do they know at NQ? Exactly how much decision-making power does that person have?

Being buddies with some dev at NQ doesn't mean much -- you might get some leaked info, sure...but there's relatively few people over there with real decision-making power. And as you say, there's no way to know the extent of someone's influence.

All you can do is hold people responsible for the choices they make -- it doesn't really matter even if people "have the ear" of some NQ employee, that doesn't somehow make that person's choices "not their own"...and again that's assuming this unknown contact even has the power to make real choices, which is unlikely. 

I think there's a weird tendency to blame other players for the direction of the game, like some conspiracy that doesn't add up. Even if there was a shadowy cabal of players with a direct line to the CEO...the CEO would still be 100% responsible for any choices they make.

For example, the OP is assuming that "bad advice" is being listened to based on the outcome of Demeter. That's not reasonable -- to use a bad choice as "proof" that they are being "misled". No, they just make bad choices. When someone makes a bad choice, that's on them....you don't blame it on "bad advice" as if they are some ancient king being poisoned by a corrupt cardinal. 

On 12/24/2021 at 10:37 PM, blundertwink said:

I think there's a weird tendency to blame other players for the direction of the game, like some conspiracy that doesn't add up.

Well, its not about blaming or some conspiracy (no one left ot conspire). Realisticly, even most NQ employees likely (beyond some higher ups) have very little control over movements of this wreck.

I talked about bit different thing. That inside this tiny % of things, that can be influenced by players (like 5% of all process), stratification between "pleb" and "guy who has NQ attention" traditionally has been very huge. Like NQ largely failed to democratize feedback loops, making it more inclusive beyond buddies, or some guys who just super active and forced somewhow themeselves as representetives of community. Its tho more problem of past, then current day.

I am pro PvP.

But we must leave this protected zone space represented by Alioth - Madis - Thades.
DU is a creative game and a space game, you need a place where they can fly without PvP.

HOWEVER :
- PvP is needed on the outer rim planets this year
- full PvP: from space to land action.
- And remove the T3 / T4 / T5 asteroids which spawn towards the security zone. Any fight must take place far from it.

With this the PvP community will already have a lot to do and we will have a start in the economy.
Once this first thing in place we can talk about it again.

On 12/29/2021 at 7:18 PM, Maxim Kammerer said:

Without any mechanics for player created safe zones? That would be the final nail in the coffin.

But the original vision was Sanct only and around the arc ship.  Just saying!

On 12/29/2021 at 9:57 PM, Knight-Sevy said:

I am pro PvP.

But we must leave this protected zone space represented by Alioth - Madis - Thades.
DU is a creative game and a space game, you need a place where they can fly without PvP.

HOWEVER :
- PvP is needed on the outer rim planets this year
- full PvP: from space to land action.
- And remove the T3 / T4 / T5 asteroids which spawn towards the security zone. Any fight must take place far from it.

With this the PvP community will already have a lot to do and we will have a start in the economy.
Once this first thing in place we can talk about it again.

PvP and element destruction provides the loop for removal of broken elements so need for them to be made etc.

I agree with the safe zone area tho you are stating as that is well established but these ones around other planets seem counter productive.  I just dont know what they will do!

2 hours ago, Honvik said:

But the original vision was Sanct only and around the arc ship.

And additional safe zones to be discussed. But that is just about permanent safe zones defined by NQ. Without additional player generated safe zones there would be no game to play. Keep in mind that everything (including PvP ships) must be manufactured by players. That dosn't work if the entire game except some permanent safe zones (that can easily be camped) is a war zone.

Like so many DU posts, this became about PvP and has nothing to do with the original topic...until we know if NQ is actually implementing territory war (and exactly how), there's little point even talking about safe zone dynamics. Based on their history, it's very unlikely that territory war will be implemented on land tiles in the next year -- they'll roll out an "initial version" for space and call it a day. 

"Vocal minority" implies that there is a majority...but I'm not so sure. PvP continues to be the most discussed thing...does DU really have a "typical" player...? 

Part of its issue is that it attracts a widely divergent player base. Their adverts say "do what you want" -- some people want to build, some want org politics, others spend time in LUA, while some do piracy...designing a cross-genre game is tough even for veteran game designers. For NQ, I'm not sure if it is possible. 

3 hours ago, Mordgier said:

Yeah - the typical DU player quit about 12 months ago after the schematics change rolled out....

Well, its was several waves of "typicals".

1) KS people interested in social/political gameplay -- absolute majority quit after its become very clear game nothing like they waiting (+ tired of waiting). Quite a lot of people actually, many with expensive pledges.

2) KS people who become gradually more and more disapointed during alpha over lack of progress;

3) People who started playing with Beta and quit in several weeks (in simple terms -- over lack of content);

4) Infamous JC last gift of 0.23, knocked out a lot very sturdy people, who survived all previous BS.

5) Ones who expected Starbase will be better (its not exactly, but many will not return to DU anyway now)

6) ? 

What is systematic, that expectations of each generation so to say are less and less. Romantic people from "1)" expected best game ever (funny), current 6) just beg NQ anemicly to make MU less annoying, in most other things they pretty much reached fatalistic acceptance. Well maybe they want some laser balance fixed or other little pvp nonsence, but its very minor things.

I can't help but laugh at the MU implementation. I was begging for MUs because mining was just such a nightmare:

p2qbypn3tt461.jpg?width=984&auto=webp&s=5e117a720dab1ebfa3f3088b9349db6a7a14a31f

So I hoped MU's would help remove a lot of the tedium from the game and actually make it fun to play....

Except when we got MUs it was totally not what I had hoped for....I wanted to remove tedium - not add more!