NQ, please revisit element obstruction mechanics.

TobiwanKenobi

I've been noticing the 100% obstruction bug occurring a lot more often after the recent changes to obstruction in Beta 1 r0.27.11 - "• Reduced engine obstruction fluctuations." Whatever you guys changed made this particular problem worse. My issue is that after entering build mode, these obstructions clear up. Why can't they already be clear?

We've always had issues with engines being 100% obstructed when you first start up a ship after logging in. The way players fix it is by entering build mode once before using the ship, which appears to force DU to recalculate obstruction. But that's suboptimal as you can often forget and not notice that a bunch of elements are 100% obstructed until you're airborne. It would be nice if the game would calculate obstruction before flight.

My suggestion is that obstruction be calculated once, VERY THOROUGLY, with many rays when a player exits build mode. Then this obstruction data can be recalled every time the ship is used. This way the obstruction doesn't need to be recalculated in flight or every time you visit a construct. It's just loaded from a previous calculation. I don't see a problem people cheesing obstruction with this method since it would calculate it every time anyone exits build mode. Any changes made would be accounted for.

Examples:

KWZY7PK.png

^These large adjustors become completely unobstructed after you enter build mode for about 10 seconds. So why are they 100% obstructed if I don't enter build mode? Moreover, why is the medium space engine there obstructed? There's nothing in the way forward. The cone is just hitting the sides of the ship. Why must the obstruction cone/cylinder be so wide?
QlSYiVe.png

^Notice in the second screen shot that only one of the four forward adjustors is firing when I try to yaw to the right. The other three are 100% obstructed because I didn't enter build mode before taking off.

Thank you for your efforts to improve and perfect the best ship building game on the market.

Edited by TobiwanKenobi

I have exactly the same problem with several of my constructs.

If you don't want to have this problem, you have to build without any voxels, it's a shame for a game that promotes voxel-based builds!

And again NQ releases a patch that breaks something important just before the holiday season when no patch will be released for 3 weeks.

Hi @TobiwanKenobi and others,

We are investigating this issue, we have made an update to reduce the instability of the obstruction value which was a bug causing your ship's engines to randomly change the obstruction over time even in mid-air.
However, it seems that the obstruction has another problem; this one.

We can't give an ETA, especially since the team is taking a break for the holidays. But be sure it's in our bug list we're investigating.

1 hour ago, NQ-Ligo said:

Hi @TobiwanKenobi and others,

We are investigating this issue, we have made an update to reduce the instability of the obstruction value which was a bug causing your ship's engines to randomly change the obstruction over time even in mid-air.
However, it seems that the obstruction has another problem; this one.

We can't give an ETA, especially since the team is taking a break for the holidays. But be sure it's in our bug list we're investigating.

Awesome. Y'all take your time - this is only an inconvenience. Enjoy your break. ?