Lua Parameters not working [DEV RESPONSE]

Novean-32184

So, this issue has plagued us again for some time now and IMO this is really a game breaking bug at multiple levels. It is causing a lot of extra work for several players who sell their product in game with DRM lock on the Lua code.

When asked, NQ seems to brush it off as "well, it's caused by optimisation and may take some time to fix", which to me really comes accross as another "not a priority right now" excuse which I honestly feel this is not good enough and this should be prioritized.

Please NQ, get this sorted before you go on your (multi week) Xmas breakl. I get you need so time away but don't leave us hanging with this one. A pre-Xmass fix woudl be greatly apreciated!

Hi Jake,

We are well aware of this issue, it is an issue that came up after we fixed a major problem that was causing client crashes. To be honest, when we say "it may take a while to fix", it does, it requires reworking the parser we have in place.

Unfortunately, it won't be possible to fix this before our break, which will do everyone a lot of good for a full recovery. Nevertheless, it remains a major problem that we are keeping in mind, if that makes you feel better.

Of course, I can't give any date sorry.

@NQ-Ligo 

Thank you for this clear explanation. Keep these coming please.

While I was hoping for a fix sooner rather than later, I can understand the reasons.. so we'll have to make due for now I guess..

You did peek my interest with the mention of a camera Lua API. That is quite the teaser to say the least, it's intriguing and I really hope we get to know a bit more soon in the new year..

Enjoy your break, which I have no doubt you are looking forward to.

32 minutes ago, NQ-Ligo said:

Hi Jake,

We are well aware of this issue, it is an issue that came up after we fixed a major problem that was causing client crashes. To be honest, when we say "it may take a while to fix", it does, it requires reworking the parser we have in place.

Unfortunately, it won't be possible to fix this before our break, which will do everyone a lot of good for a full recovery. Nevertheless, it remains a major problem that we are keeping in mind, if that makes you feel better.

Of course, I can't give any date sorry.

Thank you for further insight. Waking up to see a dev reply to a post about an issue that people are wondering about and have no context to was one of the most refreshing things to see on the forums... I had also wondered why it was broken. 

I hope the team gets plenty of R&R over the holiday and can come back refreshed to tackle stuff for 2022!

7 minutes ago, BlindingBright said:

Thank you for further insight. Waking up to see a dev reply to a post about an issue that people are wondering about and have no context to was one of the most refreshing things to see on the forums... I had also wondered why it was broken. 

I hope the team gets plenty of R&R over the holiday and can come back refreshed to tackle stuff for 2022!

I could agree more.

• Novean-32184 changed the title to Lua Parameters not working [DEV RESPONSE]

I'm not sure what you mean @FatRillos, but the workaround, while suitable for some purposes, is just that. ANd it really only works if the original scipt uses a databank in some way to store variables.

I'm not happy with the delay in getting this resolved but the explanation given I can understand so I'll "work with it" and in some cases the mentioned workaround will suffice.

For those that wonder, the workaround basically means linking a programming board to the databank holding the Lua settings and using that to edit the variables, it's pretty much like the old PEEK and POKE instructions those of us who played around with the C64 in the past know and love ;)

• 4 months later...
On 12/21/2021 at 1:44 AM, Jake Arver said:

it's pretty much like the old PEEK and POKE instructions those of us who played around with the C64

One of the most astonishing things about DU is the vast number of coding geeks it has attracted, old 4 bit hacks like myself, all the way to hot shot drone devs. I love it. So much brain food.