Increase the chunk complexity!

vylqun

image.thumb.png.6eb4291de9f59ed11b7bbc6497b155c8.png

The current max chunk complexity is simply to low, even a simple office building with a few rooms without any furniture is already near the limit. Its not possible to put some color in the rooms or voxelfurniture because it would go above 100%

Increase the maximum by 20% or so, that's all i ask for. Don't artificially limit the creativity of your builders!

Sad thing is that I called it the moment they releases the "vertex editor" blog.

It is really sad when past experience with NQ makes is so that my first thought was "why are you making the editor now?".

And the explanation is probably that NQ knew they where going to cause lots of problems with "voxel complexity" restrictions, and tried to sweeten the deal by hiding it as a footnote in the editor announcement.

I have to assume the complexity calculation is broken. Surely they didn't intend for us to not be able to do extremely simple stuff.

I'll take the discussion a step further though and say, PLEASE DO NOT IMPLEMENT A VOXEL COMPLEXITY LIMITATION. Are you crazy? One of the few draws of DU is the ability for to make cool space ships and structures, with neat details that make it feel realistic despite the relative simplicity when compared with something like Star Citizen ships. You can't do this guys. The creatives will leave, myself included, if they can't build cool stuff. Then your civilization builder mmo will be populated 100% by box ships. Not very immersive...

2 minutes ago, TobiwanKenobi said:

I have to assume the complexity calculation is broken. Surely they didn't intend for us to not be able to do extremely simple stuff.

I'll take the discussion a step further though and say, PLEASE DO NOT IMPLEMENT A VOXEL COMPLEXITY LIMITATION. Are you crazy? One of the few draws of DU is the ability for to make cool space ships and structures, with neat details that make it feel realistic despite the relative simplicity when compared with something like Star Citizen ships. You can't do this guys. The creatives will leave, myself included, if they can't build cool stuff. Then your civilization builder mmo will be populated 100% by box ships. Not very immersive...

I agree that the calculation might be broken.  It seems way too high in some situations, but in others where i would expect it to be over 100%, it seems stuck at 99%.

I think the complexity limitation can be a good thing though, if it's done right.  As long as the limitation is high enough, it should mainly serve as a guide to help people build things that look good, but don't have a negative effect on performance.

The building system has a huge amount of freedom, and it's possible to build in ways that are unnecessarily complex.  Or to just build things that are incredibly complex, and look awful, just because you can.

As long as it feels more like a "guide", then a hard cap, i think it will be helpful to builders.  

32 minutes ago, Atmosph3rik said:

The building system has a huge amount of freedom, and it's possible to build in ways that are unnecessarily complex.  Or to just build things that are incredibly complex, and look awful, just because you can.

As long as it feels more like a "guide", then a hard cap, i think it will be helpful to builders.  

I gotta 100% disagree - it will always be a limitation on creativity. Please visit my current build, a WIP but almost finished Mcore. You can find it by searching for "Tobis Mcore WIP" at a surrogate VR pod. Screenshot at bottom of post.

That ship is an example of what I consider to be a necessary amount of detail to achieve a good-looking and immersive space ship. To take away those details would diminish the build a lot. Maybe some players are satisfied by simpler ships, but most want highly-detailed ships like they've seen in sci-fi, with lots of greebles and shaping. Sure, a detailed ship is somewhat more resource intensive for a player's PC to render, but not in any meaningful amount as far as I can tell. I get the same fps whether the voxels are there or if I delete them all.

Rather than limiting players, I think NQ should focus on making the rendering of voxels more efficient and optimized. To place limitations on creativity in a game that is largely about creating would just be at counter-purpose to having fun. If they want to improve performance they should look into simplifying their element models and physics calculations. Those are the real performance hog.

hlJH25D.png

Edited by TobiwanKenobi

First, to recap feedback in an earlier post on this issue, complexity is a means to limit server load related to voxel storage.

It would be nice to know a little more about this. Is it a building cost or the cost of loading in a construct (i.e. related to the mesh server). But either way, the current measure should just indicate where a "hotspot" is to be found in a construct.  If there is any move towards enforcing the limitation (it is not now) it should be a construct limit.