Are asteroids really only for the weekend??

Kobayashi

Something I have heard a lot of complaints about on this forum is that asteroids are 'only available at weekends', this is something that has always confused me.  I started mining roids on launch, focusing on discovered roids in pvp space.  I NEVER had an issue with finding ore, even on Friday nights before roids respawn.  I was making bank, no problems, I actually preferred it to ground mining as the ore was so easy to find.  I wondered if demeter has made a difference, so headed out tonight.  First rare roid I hit had loads of nodes left, T1-4....... but it is Friday and asteroid are only for weekends? Or are the people saying this people who dont actually mine roids?

5 minutes ago, Kobayashi said:

Something I have heard a lot of complaints about on this forum is that asteroids are 'only available at weekends', this is something that has always confused me.  I started mining roids on launch, focusing on discovered roids in pvp space.  I NEVER had an issue with finding ore, even on Friday nights before roids respawn.  I was making bank, no problems, I actually preferred it to ground mining as the ore was so easy to find.  I wondered if demeter has made a difference, so headed out tonight.  First rare roid I hit had loads of nodes left, T1-4....... but it is Friday and asteroid are only for weekends? Or are the people saying this people who dont actually mine roids?

Its hard to say 100% but in the beginning I think a lot of the best roids were mined relatively quickly.  But as time has gone on perhaps less are mining asteroids.   And as far as rare and exotic there is only like 15 total that spawn, 10 and 5, so those are obviously sought after, but thats not saying there can be useful ore on advanced and uncommon.  Detemer just was released so now roids are the only thing left to manually mine so might need a few cycles to see what it will be, but I think the player population is still pretty low regardless and a lot of people are working more on getting their mininng units up and doing that.   There is definitely left over ore that isnt mined come friday, but my personal thoughts are because of low populations.  If we get a boost ever in pop and still no other way to get ore then we could see a quicker depletion. 

And I think a good amount of people just assume once a roid goes to broadcast a good chance the ore there is mined.  And ya it might not be, but its usually a lot of SU to gamble and see, and in the pvp zone.  So people think "why bother".  Not saying its true, but i think that is the sentiment of a lot of people.

Edited by VandelayIndustries

11 minutes ago, VandelayIndustries said:

Its hard to say 100% but in the beginning I think a lot of the best roids were mined relatively quickly.  But as time has gone on perhaps less are mining asteroids.   And as far as rare and exotic there is only like 15 total that spawn, 10 and 5, so those are obviously sought after, but thats not saying there can be useful ore on advanced and uncommon.  Detemer just was released so now roids are the only thing left to manually mine so might need a few cycles to see what it will be, but I think the player population is still pretty low regardless and a lot of people are working more on getting their mininng units up and doing that.   There is definitely left over ore that isnt mined come friday, but my personal thoughts are because of low populations.  If we get a boost ever in pop and still no other way to get ore then we could see a quicker depletion. 

And I think a good amount of people just assume once a roid goes to broadcast a good chance the ore there is mined.  And ya it might not be, but its usually a lot of SU to gamble and see, and in the pvp zone.  So people think "why bother".  Not saying its true, but i think that is the sentiment of a lot of people.

I would counter that to say that I mined roids from the start, 5 days a week and never had an issue, you would have thought that since Demeter, more people would be mining them but there is still ore.  So I ask again, is miningg REALLY just a weekend activity, or is that an excuse used by people who dont actually mine?

Just now, Kobayashi said:

I would counter that to say that I mined roids from the start, 5 days a week and never had an issue, you would have thought that since Demeter, more people would be mining them but there is still ore.  So I ask again, is miningg REALLY just a weekend activity, or is that an excuse used by people who dont actually mine?

I dont know it could be an excuse.  But again, population is pretty low and regardless there seems to be a large population who dont want to even go in the pvp zone.  And are fine getting their ore in the safe zone.  If NQ tripled the population or developed much more cool combat stuff, then it probably would be a weekend activity.

Also, this is coming as a pvper and industry guy.  I hate the way asteroids were implemented.  Why should i know exactly what an asteroid is, and when someone steps on it.  On one hand NQ says that they should be a conflict driver and people "fight over them" but then later said asteroids arent suppose to be the main pvp focus.  But a lot of fun comes in the mystery.  And flying our ships and a fun way to navigate in space then just this 2 su radar.   If we manually had to fly around known hot spots for asteroids that constantly spawned and respawned more randomly, and never knew the riches of what was in the asteroid til we got there would bring way more gameplay.   They could also range more in sizes, even bring back some mini megas or megas of T1 and T2.  So if you did find something the longer you were there, the longer your chances of being found.  It would be a gamble.  Maybe no one comes near you and you happily mine for 5 hours, maybe someone notices you on radar 20min after you land.  That more balanced feeling would probably get people to risk more.  Explore more, and be out in their ships.  Some would go in big groups, others would roam and try to ninja mine some good ore.  And everything in between.  That seems way more fun gameplay then knowing exactly what asteroid, whats gonna be on it based on rarity, and exactly when someone knows im there.  Its just plain lazy.

10 minutes ago, VandelayIndustries said:

Also, this is coming as a pvper and industry guy.  I hate the way asteroids were implemented.  Why should i know exactly what an asteroid is, and when someone steps on it.  On one hand NQ says that they should be a conflict driver and people "fight over them" but then later said asteroids arent suppose to be the main pvp focus.  But a lot of fun comes in the mystery.  And flying our ships and a fun way to navigate in space then just this 2 su radar.   If we manually had to fly around known hot spots for asteroids that constantly spawned and respawned more randomly, and never knew the riches of what was in the asteroid til we got there would bring way more gameplay.   They could also range more in sizes, even bring back some mini megas or megas of T1 and T2.  So if you did find something the longer you were there, the longer your chances of being found.  It would be a gamble.  Maybe no one comes near you and you happily mine for 5 hours, maybe someone notices you on radar 20min after you land.  That more balanced feeling would probably get people to risk more.  Explore more, and be out in their ships.  Some would go in big groups, others would roam and try to ninja mine some good ore.  And everything in between.  That seems way more fun gameplay then knowing exactly what asteroid, whats gonna be on it based on rarity, and exactly when someone knows im there.  Its just plain lazy.

I dont see it as lazy, I hope, just like many other features, it i version 1 and will be improved.  I would LOVE to see more flexible spawning, mega roids, roids fields etc and I hope they come soon.  Personally I MASSIVELY prefer roid mining to ground mining.  It is actually enjoy the risk vrs reward level, although I dont discover roid at all, I have DSATs on space stations, find discovered roids and go from there. 

8 minutes ago, Kobayashi said:

I dont see it as lazy, I hope, just like many other features, it i version 1 and will be improved.  I would LOVE to see more flexible spawning, mega roids, roids fields etc and I hope they come soon.  Personally I MASSIVELY prefer roid mining to ground mining.  It is actually enjoy the risk vrs reward level, although I dont discover roid at all, I have DSATs on space stations, find discovered roids and go from there. 

Sure and I agree with you.  Just saying I think some people do want to be the first on the roid and then it goes shows the world.  Even me as a hardcore pvper I just dont like this.  I also dont like knowing exactly what Is the best roids and the worst roids.  Adding a better asteroid system would add some cool exploration that is much needed.  Actually flying around looking and not knowing whats there.  That has an appeal I think to a wide audience not even taking into the pvp part of it.   

EDIT- And depending on how/if they further develop pvp and TW, I think asteroids in this context would be a great gameplay option for more "random" encounters.  And thats fun not knowing what is out there, who is out there.  Maybe its a lone miner you run into, maybe its a group of 6 with heavily armored ships, maybe you run into no one and mine in peace.  That randomness leads to a more longevity to that, and is more skirmish gameplay too in regards to pvp.  Where station pvp and TW and possibly camping planets is more fleet/org pvp.  That would give right away a few playstyles to chose from.  And a couple of dudes roaming for asteroids could have some success not only in pvp, but finding some ore. 

Edited by VandelayIndustries

My point is that two of us tonight went out and hit separate discovered rare roids, in two different planets and between us we scored about 30 mil in about two hours (15 mils each).  Whilst our autominers were running.  BOTH of us found plenty of ore in the first roids we found.

Edited by Kobayashi