Why is this game even a Single shard server?

VandelayIndustries

As in the other thread i posed this question, but wanted to see more.  I know we are waiting on NQs new roadmap, but with what we currently have, why does this game need to be a single shard universe? What does it provide?  If i can't effect other peoples gameplay then whats the point?  There is no bonus for cities, or carrot on the stick.  I can create whatever I want on any planet safely, I can run missions free from anyone else in the safe zone to make more quanta.  I can run all my mining units free from any interference.  I can build without any regard from someone else.  I can even crash my ship into the planet going 30k speed and it wont die or explode, no one can take it.  I just use some scrap.  Sure i can buy blue prints from someone but that could be easily transferable even if people owned their own private servers they payed for.  So once again, where does having this a single shard universe come in and give us unique gameplay?  If you say building you are terribly wrong, as I can just look at someones screen shots of what they build.  Going to someones base doesnt add to it.  But if I really wanted to they would leave their server address so I could connect and go see, but thats not really gameplay is it.   Seems NQ wasted a huge ass portion of their 25mil + on servers costs when that single shard hasnt provided us with anything a server like Space Engineers could provide you.  

7 minutes ago, VandelayIndustries said:

That wont pay the bills.  A couple hundred people showing off ships aint gonna cut it.  AT ALL.   And this type of thing wont attract 10s of thousands of people.  Else they would ALREADY BE HERE.  Try again. 

Everyone playing in the same universe, and the building, are what brought everyone who's already here.  Remove that, and there's nothing that hasn't already been done.

So i'm not sure what you are proposing that would pay the bills...

The game needs more, not less.

4 minutes ago, Atmosph3rik said:

Everyone playing in the same universe, and the building, are what brought everyone who's already here.  Remove that, and there's nothing that hasn't already been done.

So i'm not sure what you are proposing that would pay the bills...

The game needs more, not less.

I know, but we aren't getting MORE are we?  Thats my point.  With what was put in with beta, and the past 15 months have showed that all they are doing is losing money as a company making this single shard, and not utilizing it by using that to create unique gameplay you cant get with space engineers.  Every big battle was a lag fest that cant be disputed.  And those seem to not even happen anymore.  There is no territory to defend.  

1 hour ago, VandelayIndustries said:

That wont pay the bills.  A couple hundred people showing off ships aint gonna cut it.  AT ALL.   And this type of thing wont attract 10s of thousands of people.  Else they would ALREADY BE HERE.  Try again. 

You forgot about the desync when you have more than one person and one construct. NQs backend is trash, compared to space engineers which could handle at least a few players, realistically a dozen pvp things going on.

27 minutes ago, space_man said:

NQs backend is trash, compared to space engineers <snip>

Which is especially sad since NQ spent all those years focusing almost exclusively on trying to make the backend work.

It is actually kinda impressive that NQ as a company with more then a 100 employees at one point, managed to do so little with so much time.

I agree with the OP.

I think there should be a downloadable version of du.

Even if its only the safe zone or even just alioth and its 4 moons.

Should bring in more players than this subscription only version.

Then we can have our own 'pts' and actually freely design ships, save the bp and use it ingame. 

Have star wars, star trek and other space saga dedicated servers pop up.

This game now is getting bull with possible wipe coming.

If i had my own version I would keep playing this.

Edited by Sabretooth

On 12/17/2021 at 12:09 PM, VandelayIndustries said:

I know, but we aren't getting MORE are we?  Thats my point.  With what was put in with beta, and the past 15 months have showed that all they are doing is losing money as a company making this single shard, and not utilizing it by using that to create unique gameplay you cant get with space engineers.  Every big battle was a lag fest that cant be disputed.  And those seem to not even happen anymore.  There is no territory to defend.  

NQ is losing players (and money) because they have managed to make the gameplay experience worse over time and demonstrated little more than contempt toward players.

NQ build the foundation of a game for which a great number of people want to play. 

Edited by Doombad