Why I'm letting my subscription expire after playing for 15 months

Adventurz

I've been playing and enjoying du most of the time since early beta. When they announced autominers I was looking forward to the relief from the drudgery of mining by hand. In my mind I thought I'd be getting a few tiles here and there that would be limited due to them doubling in price with each additional. I imagined flying around collecting the ore and maybey someday needing to add fuel to them once the energy update hit in the future.

The way they were actually implemented made using them more of a grind than hand mining ever was. Spending hours calibrating units to make just a few quanta after taxes is not fun gameplay. The economy has crashed and will stay low for the foreseeable future due to the upcoming lootfest of inactive tiles. But the taxes keep coming on...

The strongest pillar of this game is with building. Ship building has been my favorite activities. With a lack of information about how the upcoming airbrake change will be implemented I can't upgrade current designs or want to waste my time making new ones.

All of these changes have made the game feel like a job instead of something I want to do for fun. I hope to return one day, but time will tell...

The calibration idea should just be flat out removed... its just grind for the sake of grind that no one enjoys. 

I dont like being negative for the sake of negative though, so wondering what the aim of it was, and what other solutions could there be?

Assuming its intended to balance the economy and avoid auto billionares, thats a pretty simple fix of balancing how much ore you can extract from a tile... so its not the quickest way to make money. Make mining asteroids more accessible and more profitable than auto miners and people will choose to do it. 

Or if its some weird way to force game time/interaction, then its the completely wrong approach... it should be about creating opportunities through mechanics for players to want to create, explore and revisit. Micro manging auto mining feels like the opposite, its something i "have" to do, not something i "want" to do... and most importantly it keeps me focused on my own HQ, rather than getting out to explore the wonderful universe they created.

P.s. the airbrakes thing was always broken and should have changed long ago... im certainly not experienced, very new to the game, but when i saw you can stack airbrakes and hide them i thought "thats silly, they should go on the outside in the direction they can push air", so i just built ships that way... im pretty confident if it changes to work like they logically should my ships would work fine. Its basically an exploit that should have been fixed, and simple solution for ship builders, is just build with that logic in mind. 

Edited by Dyab0lix

When I was looking to come back I felt the same, not only is the current mining boring as hell from what I can see (I don't need to play to know how awful this is).

On top of that asteroid mining is limited to the weekends from what I can tell and land mining is completely gone so now you have a game where you log in, calibrate, and on the weekends you mine asteroids.

As for the building, I saw the patch note for the airbrakes and just thought "why bother".

What is worse, whilst making the game much more boring they raised the price.....

I really hope NQ gets it together before it is too late.

6 hours ago, Dyab0lix said:

The calibration idea should just be flat out removed... its just grind for the sake of grind that no one enjoys. 

I dont like being negative for the sake of negative though, so wondering what the aim of it was, and what other solutions could there be?

There is no aim for it as such, NQ just believe that punishment is something people like so that is what they do.

If they could have made it in to a carrot by allow the MU to function at 100% standard but 150% or higher calibrated.

3 minutes ago, Kurosawa said:

There is no aim for it as such, NQ just believe that punishment is something people like so that is what they do.

If they could have made it in to a carrot by allow the MU to function at 100% standard but 150% or higher calibrated.

so then the 150% actually becomes the new 100%.  Fudging the numbers to make something look more attractive isnt what is needed.  

3 hours ago, VandelayIndustries said:

so then the 150% actually becomes the new 100%.  Fudging the numbers to make something look more attractive isnt what is needed.  

and there my friend, I am sorry to tell you, you are wrong.

It is all about psychology.

There is a huge difference between

- if you define the base yield at 100% and punish the player when he is not calibrating

versus 

- if you calibrate nicely, you are rewarded and get more than 100%.

see the difference ? Its called motivation.

All game loops should be designed to be motivating.

If they are not, the game designer failed.

13 hours ago, Dyab0lix said:

Assuming its intended to balance the economy and avoid auto billionares, thats a pretty simple fix of balancing how much ore you can extract from a tile... so its not the quickest way to make money. Make mining asteroids more accessible and more profitable than auto miners and people will choose to do it. 

Or if its some weird way to force game time/interaction, then its the completely wrong approach... it should be about creating opportunities through mechanics for players to want to create, explore and revisit. Micro manging auto mining feels like the opposite, its something i "have" to do, not something i "want" to do... and most importantly it keeps me focused on my own HQ, rather than getting out to explore the wonderful universe they created.

P.s. the airbrakes thing was always broken and should have changed long ago... im certainly not experienced, very new to the game, but when i saw you can stack airbrakes and hide them i thought "thats silly, they should go on the outside in the direction they can push air", so i just built ships that way... im pretty confident if it changes to work like they logically should my ships would work fine. Its basically an exploit that should have been fixed, and simple solution for ship builders, is just build with that logic in mind. 

The problem with building with logic in mind is that we all end up building the same thing, logically there is a best design, when you are forced to have everything in certain places etc.  Probably my favourite thing in DU is the fantastic ship designs I see people come up with,  I love making ships.  If my ship has to look like everybody else's, I wont like building them anymore.

6 hours ago, Ninator said:

and there my friend, I am sorry to tell you, you are wrong.

It is all about psychology.

There is a huge difference between

- if you define the base yield at 100% and punish the player when he is not calibrating

versus 

- if you calibrate nicely, you are rewarded and get more than 100%.

see the difference ? Its called motivation.

Hahahahhahaahaha.

1 hour ago, VandelayIndustries said:

Hahahahhahaahaha.

I know right, it is a funny concept. It is amazing what we humans do for a little positive feedback.

Would you believe we sit around and look at a counter go up? no? what about the xp counter?

8 hours ago, Ninator said:

This is perhaps one of the simplest, yet most important statements I've come across on this forum since I started grinding my forum xp (i.e. literally unable to play in client).  I acknowledge upfront that I have a bias toward prior descriptions of what DU was aiming to become mixed with what it had available at the beginning of Beta.  I wouldn't be grouching it up on the forums if I didn't intend to give the latest and greatest a fair shot.  I do this knowing full well what loops are available to me compared to what I had even a month ago.  I do so with the knowledge that most of what I found fun has been gutted from the project.

20 hours ago, Adventurz said:

All of these changes have made the game feel like a job instead of something I want to do for fun. I hope to return one day, but time will tell...

At the risk of being banned for being too negative , I agree 100%. 

That would be a joke if your banned for being negative, Ingame people literally exloided for billions, then schemed the schematics with [censored] knowledge so they made even more billions. Then added that on goldsellerpages.

And none of those were banned, you can however be banned if you expose goldsellers or even mention them

On 12/17/2021 at 11:55 PM, Underhook said:

The problem with building with logic in mind is that we all end up building the same thing, logically there is a best design, when you are forced to have everything in certain places etc.  Probably my favourite thing in DU is the fantastic ship designs I see people come up with,  I love making ships.  If my ship has to look like everybody else's, I wont like building them 

Theres a fair difference between making airbrakes point forward towards the air they are braking, and everyone building exactly the same thing... I'm assuming you mean there would be some sort of meta build that everyone would min/max 100% of the time?... that also makes me assume youve been playing for a while and forgot what its like to be a noob who cant afford that... not everyone is end game and not everyone cares about max stats. 

On 12/17/2021 at 6:20 PM, Kurosawa said:

I know right, it is a funny concept. It is amazing what we humans do for a little positive feedback.

Would you believe we sit around and look at a counter go up? no? what about the xp counter?

Ah. You also seem to be a player of the awesome and groundbreaking game of http://progressquest.com/

Honestly. Watching an XP counter to go up is only interesting if you expect to get something in return.

And changing numbers like 100% vs 150% only works if the people who play the game are not that good at numbers.

If you have a game where people also like to play with spreadsheets or at least have a basic understanding of numbers, then this will not work as a "fix". You are basically telling your players that they are idiots...

Edited by PleiJades