Jump to content

Asteroid mining


riproc
 Share

Recommended Posts

I have lost over 10 million credits in ships by trying to mine on asteroids in pvp zone. Last time I was found in 40 minutes. I could barely find and mine out one Tier 5 ore chunk or how you call it. There is no way to know when someone is approaching, if you are playing solo. So i can't actually defend myself, I don't know when to run. What's the point traveling hundreds of su-s, when I can barely mine out one chunk. I spend time building new ship, I travel for hours, and then I get blown up while mining. I dont know how fast do i have to mine.. I travel hundreds of su-s and then mine like 20 minutes? Sounds silly. I dont want to lose all my money, and I don't want to waste my time again, so i put this game on hold for now. Just a little feedback from me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's just how PvP works though.

You can't paint a bullseye on your backside and expect not to get shot.

There are plenty of people out there that get their jollies from hunting/hurting others, especially those who can't fight back.

 

If you think this is unfair, you would have loved Jumpgate 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

multiple thing you can learn, how did they know where you were? because you discovered the roid and it went to the discovered tab. Dont take an expensive ship if you cant afford to lose it. You can use a programming board and connect a radar to it so you can see when someone is approaching.

When you want to mine solo in pvp you need to be sneaky and fast, only go to already discovered ones, the rarer the grater the danger. I would advice to look for what you could do better next time instead of complaining on the forum. Or maybe ask others how they do it. I know of a lot of people who mine pvp roids solo and never got found

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Belorion said:

The PVP zone is simply not intended for solo players. Find an organization, then you can mine there as well.

Well...it's because the size of the game area is too small.  In larger games, there's more space (aha!) to hide or get  lucky in.    In DU's already tiny playing area, the asteroids are in one small part of it and there aren't enough to get lost in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are not using proper PvP mining technique. The proper one is:

- find asteroid with miner.

- take what is yours from his dead ship.

- profit

 

If you insist on mining by yourself use something like this :

- find and activate T2 or T3 asteroid.

- Optionally : Mine the highest tier ore on it as fast as possible.

- Run away

- do it with another 2+ asteroids.

- return after several hours/days and finish mining.

 

Or go mining in group guarded by PvP ships.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, riproc said:

I have lost over 10 million credits in ships by trying to mine on asteroids in pvp zone. Last time I was found in 40 minutes. I could barely find and mine out one Tier 5 ore chunk or how you call it. There is no way to know when someone is approaching, if you are playing solo. So i can't actually defend myself, I don't know when to run. What's the point traveling hundreds of su-s, when I can barely mine out one chunk. I spend time building new ship, I travel for hours, and then I get blown up while mining. I dont know how fast do i have to mine.. I travel hundreds of su-s and then mine like 20 minutes? Sounds silly. I dont want to lose all my money, and I don't want to waste my time again, so i put this game on hold for now. Just a little feedback from me. 

I've lost maybe 100 million in ships doing asteroids, but I've made 500 million. Not currently doing it though because ore prices are too low to be worth the risk. Not even doing sz asteroids because ore prices are so low.

 

You can watch the radar while mining by having a programming board attached to a radar. This may limit the distance you can get from your ship - or make a follower construct with the PB on it. Mining followers used to be quite popular. You do need some scripting skills or a friend with scripting skills to build one.

 

The number one thing that has kept me off the PVP asteroids since Demeter dropped is that res nodes aren't reliable. My pre-Demeter practice was to mine till I heard shooting, res back to my ship (which has a L shield so is still OK at that point) and take off. Unless I was outnumbered 10 to 1, I usually got away before my shield failed.. But if I have to dig 300m back to my ship, it will already be destroyed by the time I get there.

 

I may get back out there when they fix res nodes. Unless the prices keep crashing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Until they make asteroids just exist in a large field, spread out over a 25su's I don't know how you can PvP asteroid mine solo. This isn't like SC or Eve where you can get lost in a large field. Here everyone knows there's 1 asteroid. Everyone knows where it is. and People can use multiple alts to hunt you there. If you're solo, you can never make the risks less.

 

Sorry.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Peabody said:

If you take 40 minutes to find an asteroid, it will take the PvPers 40 minutes to get there.... so that's all the time you have. Then run.


A PvP player can simply fly after the one, especially on Saturdays and Sundays there are so many on the road, no "pirate" needs 40 minutes to find a ship. The ship appears on the radar and is shot at, what cares about an asteroid? The asteroids are only the lure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/14/2021 at 9:47 PM, Peabody said:

If you take 40 minutes to find an asteroid, it will take the PvPers 40 minutes to get there.... so that's all the time you have. Then run.

There is a kind off exploit that the PVP'ers use. They don't have to travel to the astroid, they are already there (with an ALT) with a pocket ship and a gun with ammo in their nano pack. So they log-in with their ALT and if you are there they deploy their pocket ship, put on the gun and load ammo. then PEW ..... you are gone.

 

It's kinda lame that they can log out on or near an Astroid with a pocket ship and gun+ammo in their nano pack. A PVP organization with a few ALT cans easily cover all Astroids this way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Verliezer said:

There is a kind off exploit that the PVP'ers use. They don't have to travel to the astroid, they are already there (with an ALT) with a pocket ship and a gun with ammo in their nano pack. So they log-in with their ALT and if you are there they deploy their pocket ship, put on the gun and load ammo. then PEW ..... you are gone.

 

It's kinda lame that they can log out on or near an Astroid with a pocket ship and gun+ammo in their nano pack. A PVP organization with a few ALT cans easily cover all Astroids this way.

 

I'm not sure, for less than 2,000,000 quanta you can have a small S ship with weapons and shields.

 

How can you get yourself killed by a guy who just has a small ship and a gun in his nanopack?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Knight-Sevy said:

 

I'm not sure, for less than 2,000,000 quanta you can have a small S ship with weapons and shields.

 

How can you get yourself killed by a guy who just has a small ship and a gun in his nanopack?

 

If you are mining on the astroid you have no idea when somebody else 'joins' the astroid. You can't see your radar or whatever you need. Also most Astroid Mining vessels are not very big or wel defended.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Verliezer said:

If you are mining on the astroid you have no idea when somebody else 'joins' the astroid. You can't see your radar or whatever you need. Also most Astroid Mining vessels are not very big or wel defended.

 

So you go on the asteroid with a ship that is not very well defended and you are surprised to die?

 

Make a little effort when you go into PvP let's see.

You can't complain that you get killed in a ridiculous way when you don't have a weapon or a shield ...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Knight-Sevy said:

 

So you go on the asteroid with a ship that is not very well defended and you are surprised to die?

 

Make a little effort when you go into PvP let's see.

You can't complain that you get killed in a ridiculous way when you don't have a weapon or a shield ...

It is not the matter of not willing to put effort into it ........

The case was as a solo miner .... how can you mine and defend yourself at the same time. Going underground on an Astroid leaves your vessel as a sitting duck. It would be nice that as a solo miner you could get somehow a personal radar or something like that that at least you have some time to get to your ship and fight. I think that would be a nice gameplay for all of us. Now it is so impossible to defend yourself that people will not mine (see above in this post) and because of that there will be nothing to fight with for aa PVP guy.

Edited by Verliezer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Verliezer said:

The case was as a solo miner .... how can you mine and defend yourself at the same time.

You can't. That fits well into the general behaviour of NQ to force players into orgs.

 

16 minutes ago, Verliezer said:

Going underground on an Astroid leaves your vessel as a sitting duck.

I always wondered if the ship would be protected underground, but I never tried. Is the obstruction considerd in some way or just ignored?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Maxim Kammerer said:

You can't. That fits well into the general behaviour of NQ to force players into orgs.

 

I always wondered if the ship would be protected underground, but I never tried. Is the obstruction considerd in some way or just ignored?

there is no obstruction for weapon damage so far, which is silly. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have not done PvP and I dont mine, so, I'm an expert.

It occured to me that the following might be possible.

1) find and land on the roid.

2)  Dig down to the precious

3) make a chamber

4) Make a static construct in chamber with container connected.

5) Dismantle your ship and place parts in container.

6) fill in the tunnel

7) mine

? dig you way out and assembly your way your ship (from BP) and assemble your ship

9) Move to Beverley Hills

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Underhook said:

I have not done PvP and I dont mine, so, I'm an expert.

It occured to me that the following might be possible.

1) find and land on the roid.

2)  Dig down to the precious

3) make a chamber

4) Make a static construct in chamber with container connected.

5) Dismantle your ship and place parts in container.

6) fill in the tunnel

7) mine

? dig you way out and assembly your way your ship (from BP) and assemble your ship

9) Move to Beverley Hills

this is failing due to several reasons.

did you ever try to put down a static core on an asteroid ? it says "no territory".

putting down a space core does not help either, because it can be shot.

 

sorry ...

 

 

But : as a hint : your space suit is quite capable of flying some su if you are patient ...

Edited by Ninator
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Weapons do not see dirt.  The bullet teleports from the gun straight to the targeted construct.  it does not matter if other constructs are in the path of the weapon , or if there is an asteroid, or if the construct is buried in the ground.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Gillwin said:

Weapons do not see dirt.  The bullet teleports from the gun straight to the targeted construct.  it does not matter if other constructs are in the path of the weapon , or if there is an asteroid, or if the construct is buried in the ground.  

 

What!    LOL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Ninator said:

this is failing due to several reasons.

did you ever try to put down a static core on an asteroid ? it says "no territory".

putting down a space core does not help either, because it can be shot.

 

sorry ...

 

 

But : as a hint : your space suit is quite capable of flying some su if you are patient ...

So, I was close then  :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...