NQ, it's time to bring PvE Ratting Aphelia Missions

Thunderblaze

If you guys put ratting into the game, it would generate a lot of interest and a new gameplay loop to use mechanics that not everyone currently uses...here's a few ideas:

1) Accept mission from Aphelia for either solo or group (there are various ways to implement the "group" mechanic)

2) Possible destroyed ship drops (IE: potential limited ship salvaging from PvE kills)

3) Have mission give free aphelia class warp cells -- to warp to a section of far off space as an "instance" for the mission, and have either a return one issued. If return is used prior to completing mission, it's a failure.

4) Can have timers on accepting or participating on the missions if needed.

This would serve as not only a standalone activity, but also as a gateway to PvP for players to work on getting good....and also would be good to tie into element destruction.

This is too complicated for NQ as we don't have a group system or even the ability to stop friends from locking onto us. 

NQ aims big but can't deliver on simple non game changing quality of life features. 

This game will die because of NQ failing simple game design. 

The missions themselves need to generate content first.

Everything in the game should be on a finite Quanta and Parts loop. The PvE should be what comes at the end.

We have too much ore and parts in the market as is and the missions keep introducing unlimited quanta into the system and that is what needs to be changed as NQ has no idea of what a quest is and just wanted to give people something to do. Instead of kill 10 rabbits make it craft and deliver 100-1000 adjustors and deliver it somewhere as the quest and have it paid for by the taxes generated from territories to pay for it so its not us flying around fictional parts containers and based on what is coming out of the market as an economy loop.

• Gather materials
  • Craft
  • Run missions for money
  • Pay taxes
  • repeat

And also in the same loop NQ could do Building based ship/structure missions that require builders to actually pick up a generic raw blueprint of parts required for the mission, build a ship or structures, blueprint it and turn it is as a quest and or fly the ship to the mission drop of quest point that instantly get turned into a golden blueprint.

At which point PvE content becomes possible as either all the parts missions end up with other logistics missions to some kind of bubble based NQ drydock that acts as a 3D printer for NQ based ships and has an industry production timer on how fast or how many dry docks are required to spawn a fleet of NQ ships they can launch.

From there all you need is a generic target and go script that lets NQ fleet ships to lock on anyone who attacks another player and respond immediatly to the location as a rudimentary police force in space as you dont really need a autopilot script as much as someone is being PvP'd and it sends out an alert to the NQ fleet automatically and they just go there and dont really require fuel or anything as much as just being a source for combat to occur and fire when they are in range to fire.

Beyond that NQ could likewise take the missions to build ships that are automatically turned into golden BPs and spawn them wherever they want in space or on a planet as other missions for salvaging or PvE attackers with the rudimentary script with deralect ships or spawn additional attacks with the target and go script since you are the mission holder and it targets you.

Yes please, once we got through the roadmap, and the essential stuff everybody knows is coming, but that isn't necessarily on the roadmap (avatar vs avatar, territory warfare, energy consumption...). Well once all that is done, PVE should be at the very top of list. I know it was never part of JC's vision, but like, unless we got 2 million concurrent players and cities brimming with entertainment, we need to infuse life in this solar system. It would completly change how the game feels, EVEN IF, they're spawned in procedurally don't exist when nobody is looking, and are dumb as toast...It would still completly chnge how the game feels. And even with terribly bad or inexistant AI there is still dozens of avenues for enticing gameplay.

7 minutes ago, Overstimuloredom said:

Yes please, once we got through the roadmap, and the essential stuff everybody knows is coming, but that isn't necessarily on the roadmap (avatar vs avatar, territory warfare, energy consumption...). Well once all that is done, PVE should be at the very top of list. I know it was never part of JC's vision, but like, unless we got 2 million concurrent players and cities brimming with entertainment, we need to infuse life in this solar system. It would completly change how the game feels, EVEN IF, they're spawned in procedurally don't exist when nobody is looking, and are dumb as toast...It would still completly chnge how the game feels. And even with terribly bad or inexistant AI there is still dozens of avenues for enticing gameplay.

Being that JC was an AI/robotics guy who grifted other game tech and never wanted to add ai to the game or at the very least NPCs is baffling to me that the only thing he wanted to do was manipulate the market likely because the players twisted NQs arm and still they let players run market bots with scripts at the same time.

JC never had a vision he just wanted to make a platform and not a game since the never had experience with games as much as atuomation and robot based opperating systems. He wanted to treat players like robots nothing more. He might have talked a big game getting his platform funded but its not much of a game because it was way out of his wheelhouse to make it one.

Edited by Warlander

5 hours ago, Warlander said:

JC never had a vision he just wanted to make a platform and not a game since the never had experience with games as much as atuomation and robot based opperating systems.

JC wanted an engine which he could sell as a "Metaverse engine". DU was just a proof of concept for this and the investors he managed to talk into pitting money in I expect were pitched as much. Thing is JC was about 10 years to early with his idea and as we know, currently the big tech is starting to take the metaverse idea and are running with it, no doubt with the sideeffect that efforts such as the engine behind DU get pushed aside.

As the original idea to license the servertech fell through (because it was both too early and not the performer JC thought/claimed it would be), all NQ had/has is the game but in the meantime the money is gone (as is JC) and we all know what that has brought us. 

DU has some good things, some very good things and some really terible things. Overall it's really not yet a game, it is a collection of features that may eventually make it to being a game. As I see it , what happens in the next 4-6 months will determine the fate of both NQ and DU. IF NQ manages to pull of a miracle and gets to a release of a somewhat balanced and polished MVP game with reaosnable prospect of new features and growth they may have a chance. But they must find funding to even try and get there, right now they are stretching the last bits of cash they have and subs are not going to save them, at least not for a few years.

17 hours ago, VandelayIndustries said:

No instances.  

Honestly paralel universes or dimensions make sense in different ways such as with the speed limit cap and warp drive where an iastance of empty space could be used as a layer on top of the single shard to open up a smaller scaled down version of space so that you can travel faster overall. Or that instead of warp its just layers of how fast you can go would be a welcome addition to where atmo engines transition to space there could be a warp transition to the smaller scale univers that goes from  30-60kmph or sub light/light speed travel possible that isnt a teleport.

Instaces also make sense for things like wormholes to take players to some place they would not normally go or be allowed to go being trapped in a solar system to where you could spawn a wormhole to some smaller solar system that is just a sun and a planet or other planets you cant go since you would die if you tried and there is only one planet there. You could have it be a week long instance to go there get resources or fight over them in an ffa micro solar system byfore the wormhole closes and all trapped there lose their ships sicne you pretty much died to the rest of this solar system.

or instances also allow for time travel.

Tbh I think there is too many exoplanets in this solar system. 3 would have been good with moons to explore. It could have been a hub for instances due to the tech limitations of this engine. Some random content is what is needed in DU. Even if that is spawning micro solar systems 2x a month or the reverse of alien armadas coming through the other sides of the wormholes with a full on alternate planet of aliens to fight.

17 hours ago, Jake Arver said:

JC wanted an engine which he could sell as a "Metaverse engine". DU was just a proof of concept for this and the investors he managed to talk into pitting money in I expect were pitched as much. Thing is JC was about 10 years to early with his idea and as we know, currently the big tech is starting to take the metaverse idea and are running with it, no doubt with the sideeffect that efforts such as the engine behind DU get pushed aside.

As the original idea to license the servertech fell through (because it was both too early and not the performer JC thought/claimed it would be), all NQ had/has is the game but in the meantime the money is gone (as is JC) and we all know what that has brought us. 

DU has some good things, some very good things and some really terible things. Overall it's really not yet a game, it is a collection of features that may eventually make it to being a game. As I see it , what happens in the next 4-6 months will determine the fate of both NQ and DU. IF NQ manages to pull of a miracle and gets to a release of a somewhat balanced and polished MVP game with reaosnable prospect of new features and growth they may have a chance. But they must find funding to even try and get there, right now they are stretching the last bits of cash they have and subs are not going to save them, at least not for a few years.

I get JC only wanted to make a generic game proof of cnecpt gaming engine/opperating system. That should be clear to anyone playing the game.

But with the other half of his background in AI he should have seen the need for some kind of rudimentary dynamic AI in an RTS type sense of some kind of mastermind AI directing an assault from some other civilization be it robots, aliens, a different player avatars, or andraids as an opposing force in the solar system as far as an NQ AI vs the opposing side for PvP or just against us to keep players in check.

We didnt need animals or that sort of stuff but the horizontal progression of the tier system is perfect for NPCs and if JC didnt want to do it he still should have thought that a space game in the future should need AI robots, androids, etc if he ever watched a sci-fi show, movie, game, or just games in general. Its not to say you cant have games without npcs but it makes for really boring games.

NQ  _could_ have implemented a mechanic where NPC mission givers would offer players rewards which in turn woudl allow them to .. craft schematics.. We could have had reserch and crafting stations. We could have had locations where special gems can be found which woudl allow inventing buffs to elements, we could have had surface harvestables be in pockets of many different volumes where you could find such gems. 

It all could have been done if NQ did not get stuck in the idea that al lthey needed to do is build a sandbox and players would do all the work to actually build this into a game for them.

Seeing the kludge that is Asteroids and how NQ had to shoehorn even a simple mechanic like that into the game, it's safe to say anything slightly more complex is just not possible without a considerable rewqrite of the core code.

1 hour ago, Jake Arver said:

... it's safe to say anything slightly more complex is just not possible without a considerable rewqrite of the core code.

While I would not class myself as a pure programmer/developer, it is one of the tasks I often have to delve into. As such, I do not believe the endeavour is beyond the capabilities of developers that work for NQ.

Is it beyond managerial aspirations? More than likely, but it could be done.

At the end of the day, in the engineering world, anything is possible... as long as the person in control wants to put in the effort. 

4 minutes ago, Atmosph3rik said:

What does the word mean though?  PVE already means destroying NPC ships.  I can't be the only one who's never heard that term before

It's a term that originated in the early Eve days (as far as I'm aware). 
Where you go out and blow the stuffing out of npc pirate ships.

Ratting was the act of destroying ships that were in the act of piRatting.
Personally, it always sounded weird to me. 

Edited by StaticAstraeus
typo

2 hours ago, Atmosph3rik said:

What does the word mean though?  PVE already means destroying NPC ships.  I can't be the only one who's never heard that term before

I

Ah, it means hunting rats in the real world with dogs or .22 rifles..  In EVE rats were npcs ships that turned up in asteroid mining fields every so often to keep miners from afk mining.

2 hours ago, StaticAstraeus said:

At the end of the day, in the engineering world, anything is possible... as long as the person in control wants to put in the effort. 

All potential good intentions aside, NQ simply lacks the means to dedicate resources to such an undertaking. They have been on a cost cutting campaign for well over a year now to allow themselves enough time to get  to some sort of release. It certainly is a management decision but that is driven by their financial headroom above anything else and that headroom is minute at best I'm pretty sure.

19 hours ago, StaticAstraeus said:

It's a term that originated in the early Eve days (as far as I'm aware). 
Where you go out and blow the stuffing out of npc pirate ships.

Ratting was the act of destroying ships that were in the act of piRatting.
Personally, it always sounded weird to me. 

I always though it refereed to actual low level rat monsters, that you will typically have in fantasy MMO's.

36 minutes ago, CptLoRes said:

I always though it refereed to actual low level rat monsters, that you will typically have in fantasy MMO's.

It could do, I'm honestly not sure.

The first time I came across the term was during the EVE beta, so you should take my definition with a "pinch of salt"

It's almost like trying to figure out where "lol" first came from :D 

Edited by StaticAstraeus
typo

16 minutes ago, StaticAstraeus said:

It's almost like trying to figure out where "lol" first came from :D 

The oldest written record of the use of LOL in the contemporary meaning of "Laughing Out Loud" was from a message typed by Wayne Pearson in the 1980s on the Usenet.

Today, LOL almost means the antonym of its original use. And I also read it as "lol" (as a word, not letter by letter).